Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    bump
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    I am soooo glad you posted this! I have never known what shape I am, apple was just never quite accurate... Now I know!!! I always tell people who try to give me clothes that I don't fit clothes that look like I would because of my linebacker shoulders, and I am ALWAYS concerned about beefing up my shoulders too much. I have a very muscular build anyway, and my traps (the muscles on the top of your shoulders that connect to your neck) are big enough that my bra straps don't stay up. I once had a dance teacher tell me in highschool that I would make a great bodybuilder.... not exactly what a 16 year old girl wants to hear! I am starting to love my body though, I'm 20 lbs down with 24 to go, unfortunately no pics yet. I get so frustrated shopping for coats too, they NEVER fit right, either I can't move my arms or they just hang off my body and don't look tailored like they're supposed to. I do seem to be losing very proportionately though, thankfully! Although the little tire I seem to have around my middle is a bit more reluctant to leave. I have a little thicker legs than is probably typical, I have to fit my pants to my legs, not my butt or waist. grateful to see others like me! it's nice to know I'm not alone :D
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Not sure if I qualify as an inverted triangle. I tend to think of myself more like a tree :laugh:

My shoulders measure about 42" around, bust is 37", waist 34", hips 39" at about 158 lbs... so, shoulders wider than hips I guess... not by much. And the girls are a barely-b-cup now.

This is me now:
    19313071_6171.jpg

This was me at about 190lbs. I started losing in January 2012 at 194 lbs:
    19313071_4113.jpg

This was me at my highest weight - about 218 lbs but years ago (no full body shots back then. No way):
    19313071_5509.jpg

Dunno if that helps...
  • I never knew we had a name for our body type. I have been teased my entire life for my "Linebacker shoulders" My waist and my hips are only 1/2" different. I have small legs and no backside! I just started my weight loss journey, but I have lost 5.6lbs. When I do lose weight (I did before getting pregnant again) I lose in my legs first (of course) and it takes me a little while to start losing in my stomach. I do agree when slim, our shape is pretty sexy!
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    I am totally an inverted trianlge... line backer shoulders, hardly any hips, carry a lot of weight in my shoulders and stomach. When i see myself in pictures all I see is my giant shoulders, which I have hardly noticed any change in size even though I've lost like 40+ lbs. Go take a look at my pictures just to see how broad my shoulders are!

Oh and I was totally called amazon woman in middle school due to my man shoulders/physique. I can also split the back open of blazers and dress shirts that are supposed to fit, I tend to have to buy a size up just so I don't feel like the incredible hulk
  • purplecharm
    I am soooo glad you posted this! I have never known what shape I am, apple was just never quite accurate... Now I know!!! I always tell people who try to give me clothes that I don't fit clothes that look like I would because of my linebacker shoulders, and I am ALWAYS concerned about beefing up my shoulders too much. I have a very muscular build anyway, and my traps (the muscles on the top of your shoulders that connect to your neck) are big enough that my bra straps don't stay up. I once had a dance teacher tell me in highschool that I would make a great bodybuilder.... not exactly what a 16 year old girl wants to hear! I am starting to love my body though, I'm 20 lbs down with 24 to go, unfortunately no pics yet. I get so frustrated shopping for coats too, they NEVER fit right, either I can't move my arms or they just hang off my body and don't look tailored like they're supposed to. I do seem to be losing very proportionately though, thankfully! Although the little tire I seem to have around my middle is a bit more reluctant to leave. I have a little thicker legs than is probably typical, I have to fit my pants to my legs, not my butt or waist. grateful to see others like me! it's nice to know I'm not alone :D

I know what you mean about people trying to give you clothes. My sister is a pear with a huge butt. We weigh around the same (240 lbs) but because of our different shape, we can't wear the same clothes. When she tries to give me some of her tops, I have to remind her that I can't wear her tops because of my shoulders. She can wear 14/16 tops and I wear 18/20 tops.

I can tell from your profile pic that you have very nice, well-defined legs. IT's are known for having great legs. I will admit that I do have nice legs. As big as I am, I have no cellulite, no dimples, etc in my legs and they are slight defined with no effort on my part.

Once I get this weight off, I think I will feel better about my shape.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • purplecharm
    Not sure if I qualify as an inverted triangle. I tend to think of myself more like a tree :laugh:

My shoulders measure about 42" around, bust is 37", waist 34", hips 39" at about 158 lbs... so, shoulders wider than hips I guess... not by much. And the girls are a barely-b-cup now.

This is me now:
    19313071_6171.jpg

This was me at about 190lbs. I started losing in January 2012 at 194 lbs:
    19313071_4113.jpg

This was me at my highest weight - about 218 lbs but years ago (no full body shots back then. No way):
    19313071_5509.jpg

Dunno if that helps...

Yes, this does help. Thanks so much for responding and sharing your pics...you look great.

Not all people with our shape have big boobs lol. I happen to have them, but I took after both of my grandmothers and they were both top heavy. I wish they were smaller. Hopefully I will go down a cup or 2 when I lose the weight

I wish you continued success with your weight loss.
    I
  • purplecharm
    I never knew we had a name for our body type. I have been teased my entire life for my "Linebacker shoulders" My waist and my hips are only 1/2" different. I have small legs and no backside! I just started my weight loss journey, but I have lost 5.6lbs. When I do lose weight (I did before getting pregnant again) I lose in my legs first (of course) and it takes me a little while to start losing in my stomach. I do agree when slim, our shape is pretty sexy!

It wasn't until I started researching how to dress when you have broad shoulders, that I found out there was a name for our body type. Seems like it's the body shape no one whats to talk about.

Congrats on your weight loss and keep us posted.

I am going to try to keep this thread alive as long as possible.
  • purplecharm
    I am totally an inverted trianlge... line backer shoulders, hardly any hips, carry a lot of weight in my shoulders and stomach. When i see myself in pictures all I see is my giant shoulders, which I have hardly noticed any change in size even though I've lost like 40+ lbs. Go take a look at my pictures just to see how broad my shoulders are!

Oh and I was totally called amazon woman in middle school due to my man shoulders/physique. I can also split the back open of blazers and dress shirts that are supposed to fit, I tend to have to buy a size up just so I don't feel like the incredible hulk

I took a look at your pics and OMG, you look beautiful. I can definitely see a difference. Your shoulders are less pronounced in the pic of you in the black dress.

The pic of you in the purple dress...is that a comparison pic of you in the mirror? I can't really tell because the picture is small.

I am trying to lose 40 lbs by May, with a goal of losing 100 lbs by the end of the year. Your pictures inspire me to get off my non-existent butt and make it happen. How long did it take you to lose the weight?
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    I am 100% the perfect example of a inverted triangle shape, my shoulders, back and bust are incredibly larger then my hips and legs. Small bathing suit bottoms to an Xl top. I have been mainly focusing on my lower half in terms of weight training in an attempt to bulk up my lower half and it is definetly working, iv gone up a size in underwear which is exactly what I want, from a S to a M, and my low rise jeans aren't comfortable anymore, so it looks like I am having some success with this.

I recently read that women with an inverted triangle shape should do low weight high reps on their upper body's and high weight low reps on there lower half allowing you to tone your upper half and bulk your lower half. In terms of cardio iv been focusing on lower body as well for example a stepper or a cross trainer (it's like a stepper and elliptical with an incline) I use high resistance at a slower pace. Treadmill on an incline would be good too. I also enjoy kickboxing, it allows you to tone your upper body without weights and its a great workout.

There's some pics on my profile but idn if you can see my shape very well in them.
  • purplecharm
    I am 100% the perfect example of a inverted triangle shape, my shoulders, back and bust are incredibly larger then my hips and legs. Small bathing suit bottoms to an Xl top. I have been mainly focusing on my lower half in terms of weight training in an attempt to bulk up my lower half and it is definetly working, iv gone up a size in underwear which is exactly what I want, from a S to a M, and my low rise jeans aren't comfortable anymore, so it looks like I am having some success with this.

I recently read that women with an inverted triangle shape should do low weight high reps on their upper body's and high weight low reps on there lower half allowing you to tone your upper half and bulk your lower half. In terms of cardio iv been focusing on lower body as well for example a stepper or a cross trainer (it's like a stepper and elliptical with an incline) I use high resistance at a slower pace. Treadmill on an incline would be good too. I also enjoy kickboxing, it allows you to tone your upper body without weights and its a great workout.

There's some pics on my profile but idn if you can see my shape very well in them.

Thanks a bunch for this post. I checked out your pics and and you look terrific. I can see your before shape in the pic on the bike. What a transformation.

Also, thanks for sharing your workout regime. I often wondered if there was a way to beef up my lower half, so it's good to know that it's possible. I am going to definitely work weight training into my weight loss/fitness journey.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    I thought I was an apple, but now realize I am in inverted triangle. My shoulders are 44, bust 41.5", waist 34", hips 37" and 19" thigh! I was an hourglass until I went through menopause. UGH!!!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    agree with the girls above- thank you for posting this! I too have never really known what to call my body type! I really like my butt/legs, but hold all my weight in my face, arms and stomach. Even when I was very skinny in highschool I was never comfortable wearing tank tops/spagetti straps or cap sleeves because of my big shoulders/arms. and I always describe myself as a football player like a lot of you here! haha. I've been doing a lot of cardio and this year really starting incorporating weight/strength training. I'm doing a lot of squats and lunges to tone my legs and hopefully make my butt a little more round. I have also been doing videos I find on youtube that have arm exercises- like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHCKDF0Z5o .

anyone feel free to add me!
  • purplecharm
    agree with the girls above- thank you for posting this! I too have never really known what to call my body type! I really like my butt/legs, but hold all my weight in my face, arms and stomach. Even when I was very skinny in highschool I was never comfortable wearing tank tops/spagetti straps or cap sleeves because of my big shoulders/arms. and I always describe myself as a football player like a lot of you here! haha. I've been doing a lot of cardio and this year really starting incorporating weight/strength training. I'm doing a lot of squats and lunges to tone my legs and hopefully make my butt a little more round. I have also been doing videos I find on youtube that have arm exercises- like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHCKDF0Z5o .

anyone feel free to add me!

Thanks for sharing the youtube link. I am definitely going to check it out.
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    I took a look at your pics and OMG, you look beautiful. I can definitely see a difference. Your shoulders are less pronounced in the pic of you in the black dress.

The pic of you in the purple dress...is that a comparison pic of you in the mirror? I can't really tell because the picture is small.

I am trying to lose 40 lbs by May, with a goal of losing 100 lbs by the end of the year. Your pictures inspire me to get off my non-existent butt and make it happen. How long did it take you to lose the weight?
    Edited by purplecharm on Mon 01/14/13 01:53 PM

That purple dress picture is a comparison, it's from my crappy old blackberry but it's the exact same dress and I still notice my shoulders being giant haha I lost most of my weight between April and September but I lost about 5
    45lbs in about 8 months just using hard work and proper eating!
  • purplecharm

Edited by purplecharm on Mon 01/14/13 01:53 PM

That purple dress picture is a comparison, it's from my crappy old blackberry but it's the exact same dress and I still notice my shoulders being giant haha I lost most of my weight between April and September but I lost about 5
    45lbs in about 8 months just using hard work and proper eating!

Sometimes it's easier for us to spot our perceived "flaws" than it it for others. You look great. :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Maybe I need glasses, but you totally look human-shaped to me.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    the more I think about it, the more I think I might be an IT body type too.

I was about 30 lbs heavier than this when I started trying to lose weight a year ago
    8193374926_e25182cc2b.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me in November, almost exactly the same weight, but after doing some heavy lifting.
    8193379046_12510bafc2.jpg
    IMG00817-20121113-0848 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

my hips, thighs, etc are currently the same size they were 10 years ago when I was 25 lbs lighter! My thighs are pretty solid...
  • purplecharm
    the more I think about it, the more I think I might be an IT body type too.

I was about 30 lbs heavier than this when I started trying to lose weight a year ago
    8193374926_e25182cc2b.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me in November, almost exactly the same weight, but after doing some heavy lifting.
    8193379046_12510bafc2.jpg
    IMG00817-20121113-0848 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

my hips, thighs, etc are currently the same size they were 10 years ago when I was 25 lbs lighter! My thighs are pretty solid...

Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for sharing pics! I agree that you have the IT body type because your shoulders are wider than your hips and you have great legs. Now that you've mentioned not gaining any weight in your thighs or hips despite your weight gain, I don't think that I have gained any weight in my lower half either despite all the weight that I've gain. I rarely wear pants, but when I do, people always think I've lost weight because my bottom half is much smaller than my top half. I am going to look in to weight training because I would like to beef up my lower body.

Thanks for contributing and I wish you continued success!
  • purplecharm
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!