Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    the more I think about it, the more I think I might be an IT body type too.

I was about 30 lbs heavier than this when I started trying to lose weight a year ago
    8193374926_e25182cc2b.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me in November, almost exactly the same weight, but after doing some heavy lifting.
    8193379046_12510bafc2.jpg
    IMG00817-20121113-0848 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

my hips, thighs, etc are currently the same size they were 10 years ago when I was 25 lbs lighter! My thighs are pretty solid...

Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for sharing pics! I agree that you have the IT body type because your shoulders are wider than your hips and you have great legs. Now that you've mentioned not gaining any weight in your thighs or hips despite your weight gain, I don't think that I have gained any weight in my lower half either despite all the weight that I've gain. I rarely wear pants, but when I do, people always think I've lost weight because my bottom half is much smaller than my top half. I am going to look in to weight training because I would like to beef up my lower body.

Thanks for contributing and I wish you continued success!

I did gain weight there...but it was one of the first places that I lost! I have this little booty and slimish thighs. I told someone last week that I look like an ice cream cone--my head and torso are the scoop, and from the waist down is the cone.
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love this thread!! I have always hated my shape. My shoulders are wider than my hips, my waist is the same as my hips and just goes straight down and my legs are so skinny. It sucks having to buy clothes because even at my thinnest I was still a big size at my waist because of the fact that I just go straight and don't curve in. I don't have any pics yet either, just started my weight loss journey and hoping to finally have success!!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love this thread!! I have always hated my shape. My shoulders are wider than my hips, my waist is the same as my hips and just goes straight down and my legs are so skinny. It sucks having to buy clothes because even at my thinnest I was still a big size at my waist because of the fact that I just go straight and don't curve in. I don't have any pics yet either, just started my weight loss journey and hoping to finally have success!!

I know what you mean and yes it does suck to buy clothes.

I want to lose a 100 lbs, which would bring me down to 140 lbs. I am 5'8" and I am curious what size I will be at the top since my shoulders are so broad.
  • Blueyedbethie82
    Options
    OMG! I really thought there was none of us out there! I'm so happy to talk to someone who is struggling with the same things I am. I have been heavy for the majority of my life, except for my teen years and early twenties when I was a dancer. I did ballet mostly and NEVER had the right body type no matter how hard I tried to lose the extra weight up top. It was also a burden on the guys who were supposed to pick me up; I always apologized during or after each lift. And leaping into the air was a huge challenge. I was always so much bigger in my shoulders and back than any other ballerina I've ever seen. It was very difficult for me to get up en pointe, but I was determined, so I did it. But, after I quit ballet and just stuck to teaching dance (ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap, and acro), I put on more weight. And then I got pregnant, was put on bed rest from a complicated pregnancy, and gained 80 pounds. I am still carrying around about 60lbs of that weight 6 years later. I have, within the last couple weeks, made it my goal to live healthily (I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Crohn's Disease.) It is more important than ever to get fit. I don't have any pictures yet (I'm only waiting on my camera battery to recharge), but I will soon. I'm huge around the bust, shoulders, and back but quite little in my waist and hips. I measured myself today and my bust is 9 inches bigger than my hips. I wonder if all the muscle I needed in my legs to dance actually made my problem more noticeable. You'll see that I have very small, muscular legs (you can see the muscle even through the fat), with a large stomach and arms. It's almost impossible to find clothes that accentuate my small waist, but I have found something. It's a "box cut" shirt that fits well around the shoulders, but are a little loose around the middle (there's some extra material to make it look "flowy"), but when it gets to the hips, there's elastic at the bottom and it fits tight to your body. So, it accentuates our small hips and legs while hiding how truly big we are up on top and around the middle (for those of us who aren't at our goal weight yet.) I will probably wear these types of shirts until I've lost some weight up on top. Also, the shirts (and dresses) that have the "square cut" at the neckline actually make you look smaller. The way the top is cut, it makes it seem like your shoulders "should" be that big. V necks accentuate how much difference there is between the middle of your chest and your shoulders. The less material there, girls, the better. :happy: I have a friend with whom we're doing this together, so I have her support as well as any other girls I can find through this website. I know how to lose weight; what foods to eat and how much exercise (If you guys want my tips and tricks, just let me know). It's just a matter of doing it. I used to be able to lose 7 pounds a week when I really needed to (usually for competitions or when my weight had gotten just too large to get en pointe.) But, that rapid weight loss isn't good for a long run and will end up doing more damage than good. I also know how to maintain a healthy weight and lean muscle mass as an ex dancer and teacher, which are the tips I would be sharing. :wink: I've just been really, really lazy. And my life is usually pretty hectic to it's hard to eat right and get the right kind of exercise I should be getting. I wish you all the best in our goals and I'd like to keep up with how every one does over time!.

~ Beth :happy:
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Gonna try posting pictures for the first time on here! Hope it works! I'm pretty sure I'm an inverted triangle shape. Always had banging legs with a thick trunk. Right now I'm L/XL in tops and 8-10 in jeans. Thanks for some motivation to keep pushing. I always feel like I look so darn disproportionate. Right now I'm 203 at 5'11.5

Sitting down it's very obvious how wide my shoulders are.
    229608_1565287098854_869095_n.jpg

I have very few front on photos because I'm so self conscious of my broad shoulders. Here's a back:
    281346_1574996541584_1043392_n.jpg

Here's one from during my 60lb weightloss:
    28526_1258325945017_8068726_n.jpg

And from before:
    27028_1224579021365_7421997_n.jpg

15936_1198178001356_2516155_n.jpg
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've alwys been told I have a big back and shoulders for my lanky size... and I hated it... but now that I'm lifting more, I don't mind it as much...

I've been doing more lat work so that it shapes my body for me... AND glutes so that there is more curve there to make me a little less straight and narrow.

photo1_zpsb04b5bf7.jpg
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm an inverted triangle too. I don't have any new pictures but I have lost 70 lbs and I am learning to love my body. (i'll make some soon) I am currently wearing a size 7 pants and a large to extra large shirt. No waist whatsoever. My waist measurement and my hip measurement are both 34". My chest/shoulder measurement is 44".
    I have found that I cannot carry "a few extra lbs." because it is all on my upper body. Finding clothing is an almost impossible task but the jr department pants fit much better, no mashed potato butt and the waistlines are not as nipped in. I have have come to the realization that t-shirts are terrible on my body type. Kind of makes me look like a moving truck but they are a hard habit to break.
    I started circuit training over the past couple of months and really like the way it is leaning out my upper body without adding more bulk. I still have the linebacker shoulders but they have more definition to them.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    So glad this thread was revived.

@blueeyedbethie82 Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for the info regarding box cut shirts.

@robinc37 Thanks for sharing your pics. Congrats on your weight loss. You look amazing. That would be me too with the banging legs and thick trunk.

@cmarieleep Thanks for sharing your pics. Your shoulders are beautiful. I am definitely going to work on defining my shoulders.

@tessaeve I measured my waist and hips the other day and they are the same size, too. My waist and hips are 40". I can't even imagine what my chest/shoulder measurement is but I know that it is much wider than my hips and waist. All my excess weight goes to my upper body, too. I think that inverted triangles look best when we are fit and not overweight. Most of us just don't carry extra weight as well as some of the other body shapes. Thanks for the tip on buying pants in the jr dept.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    btw, feel free to add me if you have an inverted triangle shape. :flowerforyou:
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well jeez, I thought it was considered an Apple Shape? Now I have a new word for it!

Yup, cheers to your triangle sister you've got a friend! ME!

Built like a brick **** house up top and look like I'm carrying a load from that house in my jeans because my father so lovingly passed down that gene called the "Backa$$" - where my back runs into my *kitten*.

I think you can look at some of my before and afters on my profile but I was saddened this weekend when I put a bikini on for the first time IN MY LIFE this weekend as I wanted to take pictures to monitor my progress visually. When I looked in the mirror I gave myself the nod that "Hey, this isn't so bad" and then I reviewed the pictures and I GASPED!

I've worked VERY hard in the gym and my legs are toned like nobody's business and my cute little hinder is getting firmer, but then in the pics I was so sad that I looked like a linebacker up top and because my middle is STRAIGHT it looks like a fudgesicle on a stick (ya know the upper body plopped on the stick)

I can do a lot with clothes to give the illusion that I have a waist. BELTS, BELTS and more BELTS! (Definitly my Mother's Daughter there).

I know a IFBB PRO (Body Builder) who is 6'2 and female and ripped who has had our same issue. I am going to speak to her after this weekend of bikini picture taking and devise a plan to help me with this as I know she's done it. If I come up with something I will be sure to share!!!

Best of luck inverted triangle sister!
    Sal
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purplecharm
    Options
    Well jeez, I thought it was considered an Apple Shape? Now I have a new word for it!

Yup, cheers to your triangle sister you've got a friend! ME!

Built like a brick **** house up top and look like I'm carrying a load from that house in my jeans because my father so lovingly passed down that gene called the "Backa$$" - where my back runs into my *kitten*.

I think you can look at some of my before and afters on my profile but I was saddened this weekend when I put a bikini on for the first time IN MY LIFE this weekend as I wanted to take pictures to monitor my progress visually. When I looked in the mirror I gave myself the nod that "Hey, this isn't so bad" and then I reviewed the pictures and I GASPED!

I've worked VERY hard in the gym and my legs are toned like nobody's business and my cute little hinder is getting firmer, but then in the pics I was so sad that I looked like a linebacker up top and because my middle is STRAIGHT it looks like a fudgesicle on a stick (ya know the upper body plopped on the stick)

I can do a lot with clothes to give the illusion that I have a waist. BELTS, BELTS and more BELTS! (Definitly my Mother's Daughter there).

I know a IFBB PRO (Body Builder) who is 6'2 and female and ripped who has had our same issue. I am going to speak to her after this weekend of bikini picture taking and devise a plan to help me with this as I know she's done it. If I come up with something I will be sure to share!!!

Best of luck inverted triangle sister!
    Sal

I checked out your profile pics and you look amazing. Congrats on your weight loss success. :flowerforyou:

I too inherited the "backass" gene from my dad, too lol.

I'm definitely interesting in hearing input from your bodybuilder friend.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I checked out your profile pics and you look amazing. Congrats on your weight loss success. :flowerforyou:

I too inherited the "backass" gene from my dad, too lol.

I'm definitely interesting in hearing input from your bodybuilder friend.
    [/quote]

THANKS! :) - I am reading up on this so very much because I thought I was doing well and based on my before pictures I am very much so. I have a ways to go with bulking the lower 1/2 of me but I am DETERMINED to slim down the middle, tone up the top and bulk up the bottom! Great post and it's given me a lot of insight! Thanks so very much! - Sal (When I find out more I'll be in touch!)
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    So happy you posted this! Like many other women on here I wasn't really sure what type I fit into. Now I know...triangle for sure! I've lost a few pounds. Still no hips (but I have a bubble butt), waist got flatter and my shoulders stayed about the same. I'm a little bummed my boobs and butt didn't change...boyfriend is happy :)

Guess I'd rather have strong shoulders then thunder thighs. So I can't complain to much.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Great thread, don't see many inverted triangles. Wish all of you the best on your journeys. :flowerforyou:

Can't say I'm a triangle. My shoulders are huge and hardly ever fit into women's clothes, but I also have a huge frame in general (I'm 5'11") and my hips are just as huge. It would probably be more accurate to call myself a potato, with big everything. lol

I have noticed that my shoulders and arms are looking much smaller and more petite after losing almost 60lbs. Don't know that I'd wear a cap sleeve yet though. :laugh:
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You have beautiful legs!!
  • purplecharm
    Options
    Wow!! You have beautiful legs!!

Thank you! :smile:
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    since finding out the proper name for my body type from this thread I have been looking up the best clothes and such for inverted triangle shapes and I've come across SEVERAL posts that say inverted triangle body is the SECOND most desirable body type (behind hourglass). Our bodies are beautiful anyways, but also have tons of potential to look amazing! yaaah us

http://www.myprivatestylist.com/horizontal-proportions/
  • purplecharm
    Options
    since finding out the proper name for my body type from this thread I have been looking up the best clothes and such for inverted triangle shapes and I've come across SEVERAL posts that say inverted triangle body is the SECOND most desirable body type (behind hourglass). Our bodies are beautiful anyways, but also have tons of potential to look amazing! yaaah us

http://www.myprivatestylist.com/horizontal-proportions/

Woohoo! :drinker:

Thanks for the link!
  • fitintherain
    Options
    Omg! I signed up just because of this thread..I too am an inverted triangle and I thought I was alone! I too want to start my weight loss journey and hope for the best...Thanks for posting this..I want to start this with people who understand what it is like being our shape :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!