Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options

Replies

• juliahoelzel
    juliahoelzel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I finally have a name for my body shape! I was teased in middle school and high school school for being boyish, sturdy, line backerish and not girlie in my body shape and I was not heavy, rather athletic back then. Fast forward to adult life- my heaviest was (258). Here are is me at my heaviest and this is when I hit 68lbs lost (190) :) I still have 30 to go :)
    ~Julia

138.jpg

016-2.jpg
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I think this might be the best way to describe my shape. I've always heard the fruit descriptions but never full fit into any of those descriptions :)

I've got some B&A pics in my profile.
  • zetsubou
    zetsubou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love this topic!!! I guess I'm that shape as well. Quite sick of people telling me how long and beautiful my legs are, while all of my fat hangs on my back ;'( Hate pictures taken from my back as well, they always turn out awful... Any exercise advice for upper torso and ''back fat''?
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm an inverted triangle also! I love this thread! When I was younger and skinny, my mom always said I had a "Swimmer's build" because I had broad shoulders and narrow hips. I've also got big ta-ta's which didn't help make me look any thinner once I did start gaining weight. I had considered a breast reduction to make me look a little more proportional, but then realized that just losing the weight would be better and easier for me. Here are my pictures. When I started this journey I was 198lbs. I didn't start taking pics until 186lbs and took them every time I lost another 10lbs. It was funny that when I was heavier, I was more of an apple shape and carried the majority of my weight in my gut and butt. Once I started dropping weight the very first place I lost it was from my hips and gut. I like having the inverted triangle shape. I'm glad that I'm finally seeing it on myself again :wink:

Good luck to you other IT gals!!!!

Progress.jpg
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Bumping it for the new girl! Me!

Well, I've been around since March, but I never thought to search for my triangle sisters before now. You can see my triangle quite clearly in my pics. I have been saving that pic for 2 years now because it is, in my mind, the worst full-length photo I've ever allowed to be taken of me. I have all the same issues as previous posters....can't buy coats, can't wear dresses because I have no waist, and even if I try, I look like a potato stuck on two toothpicks. That being said, I'm VERY muscular and, luckily, I actually always have liked to lift heavy and go to the gym (although I've never been much for running or cardio in general). My schedule is proving tough to deal with so hubby and I are going to pony up for a nice set of free weights at the house.

Can't wait to see how this turns out....some really inspiring pictures in this post.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Bumping it for the new girl! Me!

Well, I've been around since March, but I never thought to search for my triangle sisters before now. You can see my triangle quite clearly in my pics. I have been saving that pic for 2 years now because it is, in my mind, the worst full-length photo I've ever allowed to be taken of me. I have all the same issues as previous posters....can't buy coats, can't wear dresses because I have no waist, and even if I try, I look like a potato stuck on two toothpicks. That being said, I'm VERY muscular and, luckily, I actually always have liked to lift heavy and go to the gym (although I've never been much for running or cardio in general). My schedule is proving tough to deal with so hubby and I are going to pony up for a nice set of free weights at the house.

Can't wait to see how this turns out....some really inspiring pictures in this post.
    IMO inverted triangle is the best shape for the muscular. It makes it much easier to get that V taper. I decided to own it and make my upper body even bigger. My shoulders are easily twice the size of my hips.
  • jennbme24
    jennbme24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that my shape was called an inverted triangle but makes total sense now! Yesterday I was even looking at post for different weights and what their measurements were and my hip measurement is as small as some of the people that are 130 lbs but definelty not the stomach or chest! I have no hips nor butt. My shoulders and boobs are definetly the biggest part of me. Well not including my stomach which is where I carry all my weight that the boobs done get! I even worry that as I continue to loose I am going to look awkward because my butt and hips just keep shrinking faster then the rest of me. And I agree I think people that have the hour glass figure and even the people that are pear shaped carry the weight much better. Atleast they usually have a defined waist! I am just straight all the way down after the boobs. ha ha

Here is me at my heaviest. I dont have any full body because like everyone else I hated pictures of myself at the time.

December 2010- 216 lbs (possibly heavier quit getting on a scale by then)

beforepic.jpg

This was taken a while ago and I was at 192 lbs. Still hate pics of myself so dont have many. As of this morning I weighed 183 lbs. Will do pics next week after I complete my phase 1 of JMBR, just not sure I will post them lol

weightloss.jpg
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!! Another fellow IT here too!! No pics that show it well... I really need to take one:) I've lost over 50 pounds, still have 20 to go, and they have proved to be close to impossible to get off!! Anyway, I've definitely go huge shoulders, gain all up top. My belly situation got MUCH worse after having children. They were all really big and my abdominal muscles separated badly. Now I look pregnant all the time. Juniors pants really do fit better. And the only tops I can wear are poofy with the elastic around the bottom. V-neck tops and dresses are always more flattering as well.:) Thanks for the encouragement and pictures, ladies, I sure need it!!:flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was an apple shape, til I saw a link on here to find your shape and it said I was an inverted Triangle.

I just measured around my shoulders for the first time, and I measure 48"
    Bust is down to 47" (down from 54" when I started)
    waist is 39-45 inches, depending on where you measure.
    Hips are 39"
    Thighs are 21"

Yeah, that definitely qualifies as triangle. But I do have a lot of muscle and it responds well to weight lifting. I could only find one decent picture of me from 20 yrs ago when I was body building. I definitely had the linebacker build. I was around 155 at this point, and most of it muscle.
    d4fb00d3-d07a-4513-863e-37b1b1983ea0_zps860f7162.jpg

Five years ago, after 3 babies, a disabling accident, and 80 pounds gained

1264b465-4cea-43ef-b8f0-db58ea53f475_zps33d8d183.jpg

I have lost 50 of those extra pounds now, but still have at least 30 to go. The last place I lose is in my belly. It is very aggravating, and really makes it hard to find pants that fit my waist, without the butt and legs being huge.

b6ba95c6-e471-4001-9220-06c5175df499_zps79089229.jpg

I am very short-waisted, which makes it even worse. But I know if I can get back down to 155, the belly will be much smaller. The lowest adult weight I ever carried was 136, and I had a 27" waist and 32" hips at that point. I would love to get back to that again, but it may be too much to ask for at almost 50 now.

One thing I do have to do with my diet, is eat low carb and restrict my sugar and processed grains. I am at high risk for Diabetes, and am insulin resistant.

Hoping to have a true 'after' photo in a few months when I hit my goal. It is very slow going at this point, but I will eventually get there.
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for posting this thread! I too am an inverted triangle. When I was a young child, like 12 or 13, I always wondered why clothes didn't look right on me. My mom and aunts told me it was because I had a swimmer's body. As I grew older, I realized that a swimmer's body was not sexy. (Sorry to those with swimmer's bodies, it's just my opinion) At least my swimmer's body was not sexy. It was tough in high school being a black girl with no booty. I've always been "muscular" looking. I joined the track team for exercise and to lose weight and the track coach thought I'd made an excellent shot-put person. SMH. I was a size 10 pants and an XL shirt! Now I am comfortably trying to get back into those size 10s, but at the same time trying to stay at a size Large shirt or smaller. The hardest thing about losing weight for me is losing my back fat which I know that if I can do that I can start to look lean and sexy.

I have a ton of pics on my phone, but have only posted a few on my profile pics. One day soon, I will post some before and afters of my journey. I know we can't change our body shapes, but I am learning to embrace mine and as I lose weight, I find that bodyshapers help give me a natural-looking hourglass. The other day I was at the store trying on dresses and the women were giving me such high compliments for my figure! It felt amazing! but I had to confess that if not for my undergarments, I probably wouldn't look that good.

I have a question for you ITs: I see a lot of threads dedicated to women lifting heavy and not "bulking." Do you think it will work for us IT who already look like linebackers?

Sorry for the rant. Feel free to add me so we can share our journey together and be sure to mention this thread!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else here I'm an Inverted Triangle shape, but thought I was an apple - or perhaps I'm both?

I have huge shoulders, a big ribcage with almost NO boobs (A cup is mostly unavailable in the size that will go round me). Big fat tum (getting smaller) with no waist, and quite slim hips, comparatively.

I've lost 10 inches off my waist in the last 15 months which means I'm looking better, but I'm not finished yet!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I have a question for you ITs: I see a lot of threads dedicated to women lifting heavy and not "bulking." Do you think it will work for us IT who already look like linebackers?

This can be a very volatile question on here, but yes, for some of us, we can bulk up very easily. I try to work more on my legs and butt, to try to balance out the large upper body. It is very tempting for me to start lifting heavy on my upper body, but I have to watch it, at least until I get more of the body fat off. I have a back and neck condition that keeps me from lifting TOO heavy, so that helps keep me from overdoing it.
  • jennbme24
    jennbme24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too wore the poofy tops with the elactic bottom. I am trying to get away from those. My co-workers keep telling me they make me look bigger then what I am. But they are my comfort clothing lol
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I think I am a slight inverted triangle - my shoulders are about average but my complete lack of hips makes me look like an inverted triangle. I had huge boobs (yay for breast reduction!) and my waist does go in a bit when I'm not that overweight, but I have a tummy :(. Luckily I have some butt, but I would KILL for hips! I think you are right - we look much worse overweight than other shapes...if I carried all my weight in my hips/butt/thighs I would be so much happier!

I just posted these pics in a progress thread - I'm 21 lbs down, 40 to go. I think my shape does look better as I get smaller - so hopefully it will look even better as I lose more!

BEFORE:
    29F0A82B-8124-40A7-AA14-D867F8358FA9-15540-00000DFF9FEFDA37_zps890f8faa.jpg
    9FF3A2F7-4156-4690-9678-9D1EC4CF25B1-15540-00000DFF9F595688_zps9ebba253.jpg
    A682F523-EB93-492F-9391-387AF5F42469-15540-00000DFF9DEA846C_zpsb66db05b.jpg

AFTER:
    67FF90AA-2EBE-462F-B201-2B6EC7E6F881-15496-00000DFD9AF126E8_zpsda335ce9.jpg
    09B5B88A-F221-4E36-927D-67B359223D55-15496-00000DFD7B92885F_zps8b0892ea.jpg
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For those that aren't sure what an inverted triangle body shape looks like, just picture Sherri Shepherd from the View.

As luck has it, I happen to sit in bookstore cafe glancing in Sherri Shepherd's book entitled Plan D, and sure enough the cover picture clearly shows her inverted triangle body, once you're aware of it that is. I sense there's more to her than meets the eye, and I do like the reading of her book, whose subtitle is How to Lose Weight and Beat Diabetes (Even If You Don't Have It). The book doesn't mention the inverted triangle shape though as far as my initial browsing can tell. (I also can't find anywhere she's actually saying why the cell locks get sticky and eventually non-functional, so that no insulin is let in and so cannot do its work; page 36-37 is the closest I have come. The explanation is that the cells are wrapped in fat; it's all about visceral fat.)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Moi
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that this thread was revived. Yay!

I am happy to report that I have lost around 36 lbs since I started this thread. My starting weight was between 225 - 230 lbs. I am now down to 194 lbs. My abdomen has gone down significantly but it's still noticeably large. I still have tons of back fat.

I was able to fit into an XL jacket a few weeks ago. That was a huge victory for me because I thought it would never be possible due to my broad shoulders. I use to wear my jackets and tops in a 2x and some 3x's.

I will post some before and after pics as soon as I get a chance to upload the pics.

I hope we can continue to keep this thread going.
  • marianim35
    Options
    Hi,

I'm so glad I found this topic. I just finished reading all the posts and have to say there is one more joining this thread...Me!
    I'm an IT too (pretty sure). Most of my life I've been told I have a cone shape and I absolutely hated it! Now that the weight is starting to come off, I can see the pros in having this shape...for example the shoulders! Now I can bare my shoulders with confidence and without being ashamed of looking like a football player (which I've been called :/ ) Still struggling with finding the right jackets...with no padding of course but bring on the cute tops!
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    SO GLAD I found this thread! I'm an IT with really long "bird" legs. It drives me crazy. I always say that my upper body doesn't "belong" with my lower body. I've lost a total of 52 lbs and still have 27 more to lose, but I'm finally looking a little more "normal." I'm 5'9" and currently a loose size 14 pant/short but I still have to get XL tops because of my shoulders. I've lost weight before (about 10 years ago) and remember actually getting into Medium tops, but that was 2 babies ago...Not that having children should make any difference, since my hips are still relatively small but...who knows!?!?! Glad to read all of the posts on this thread!
    Question: What kind of swimsuit will you all be wearing this year?
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm this shape too! I've noticed I lost weight in my upper legs, but not so much on my waist (where I want it off)! Is it true abut fat first on, last off? My belly would be that spot.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!