Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Great work on your loss! We started around the same weight and I am also an IT. What little I have for hips and waist have started to get a little more defined. I've lost quite a bit from my boobs also but happily they are still quite ample (yay!) I always liked my big shoulders though it definitely does make it very hard to find clothes that fit - even at a lower weight. I live in tank tops these days!

Normally I try to find a-line cuts that cinch under the bust so that I can hide the fact that I have no hips to speak of. I'm down to a size 8 on the bottom but still LG (12) on top to compensate for the extra wide back.

My pics are in my profile - though I need a new one as I have hit another mini-goal. I will try to get one that shows the IT shape ;)
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So glad I seen this post!! This is me and I have always been so self conscious of myself. My mom (who is very supportive) told one of her friends years ago I was as broad as the back side if a barn, I could be a football player. She had no idea how insecure I was or she would have never said that, but it still crushed me and only added to the insecurities. I have always been told I will never be thin bc of my shape, but I am determined this time to be healthy and go as small as I can. Thanks for this post and can't wait to see success stories and pictures!!!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1-Downloads2.jpg

Before: Jan 25, 2013 - approximately 225 lbs

After: June 26, 2013 - 187 lbs

Sorry about the little distortion in the before picture.

As you can see, I carry a lot of excess weight in my abdomen. The weight is slowly coming off in that area. I can fit into size 12 bottoms. My waist is 36 inches (yikes!).

I am pleased with my results. :)

You look Fabulous!!!!!!!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    1-Downloads2.jpg

As you can see, I carry a lot of excess weight in my abdomen. The weight is slowly coming off in that area. I can fit into size 12 bottoms. My waist is 36 inches (yikes!).

Wow, excellent results...such a huge difference OP!! You do look fabulous! :drinker:

Thank you for this thread as I too always thought I was an apple shape with flapjack backside and a belly that was much bigger. I always thought if only I could move my belly around the back, I would like my body more. I also thought that I could be a good swimmer with linebacker shoulders and back, but alas never really had the opportunity to swim.

I have never heard of inverted triangle shape up until now. My shoulders measurements are 43" in comparison to my 38" hips....Inverted triangle? The good news is that the more fat I lose, the leaner and more athletic I look. I like this look!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think that is me as well. My biggest problem at my age is my arms. Now that they are smaller, the tops underneath are a little floppy when I exercise. Yuck. Exercise has really changed my shape though. I highly recommend it. Also, if you are well endowed, as you lose weight, consider the empire waist dress and higher belted dresses.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    success story here! I'm down 52 lbs in 6 months and feel a TON better ... clothes fit better too.

I didn't read the whole thread, but you should google "strawberry shape" ... there are plenty of advice columns about what to wear, what is flattering on us, and what is not.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I also HIGHLY recommend Victoria Secrets Showstopper bras and good posture. You have NO IDEA what a difference they make until you go out with a nice dress on. Vavavavoom! LOL
  • Emilycip
    Emilycip Posts: 10
    Options
    Awesome to find this thread! I am inverted triangle. 5 ft 9.5 in. Started at 217 lbs, now down to 168, but still struggling with out of proportion top and bottom. Wearing an 8 on bottom and still 12 on top to fit shoulders! So happy to know I' m not alone in having no hips, pretty awesome legs, jiggly arms, and belly. We can do it!
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    Not sure if I fit here. I gain weight everywhere but I don't have hips. My waist is smaller than my hips I like having wide shoulders 39" and narrow hips 33". My waist is 25 inches as I've gained weight. My boobs I have D cups. 32D. My breasts are 36.5. I like the athletic advantage along with I like how I look in clothes with it I'd like actually emphasize the shoulder to hip ratio. With weight gain I've also gotten a bigger butt. It's now medium sized more than anything. I have fuller thighs but long legs. I don't have a thigh gap my hips are too narrow.

Before my weight gain I had a C cup(35") 23.8" waist 31/32 in hips a small butt never flat though skinny arms. I still have very skinny arms as I did in the past. I basically want a combination of these two measurements instead of 35-23.8-32 or 36.5-25-33 I want my waist to be smaller 36.5-24-33. How do you target loose weight? I also was wondering is it possible to keep curves while losing muscle? Because I still want my boobs and butt but still want to stay muscular. I've had less ten percent body fat before I was still a C cup. So is it possible I could still keep them and pack on muscle rather than fat? I only actually because D cup when I took biotin which caused my weight gain up from 100 lbs. if I keep taking biotin and exercising to gain muscle will I likely lose fat in the right places?

I never lost this fat as of yet but I'm showing the before after weight gain.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2gv77zk.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/f23fxg.jpg
    This was before I took biotin at 100 lbs
    http://i42.tinypic.com/311ugxt.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/33birnr.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2a0kpbq.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/5z0f0o.jpg
    This is how I looked originally like at 84-94 lbs
    http://i39.tinypic.com/nlr8zp.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/1z1hhkk.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/aw6pz.jpg

At my largest I got the bigger chest and butt my figure has stayed the same though broad shoulders narrow hips. But everything else has changed. I don't dislike anything about getting bigger besides getting a better waist and more muscular. Any exercise tips.

Also I don't know if I'm an inverted triangle but I have the shoulder to hip ratio but a smaller stomach. I may be technically a top heavy hourglass idk.
  • oljordan
    Options
    Hi,
    Im a inverted triangle as well. I was 190 lost a couple of pounds so I'm now at 183. My measurements are 34 under bust, 45 across the bust, 36 at 3 inches above belly button and 38 around the waist. I have no hips and my back is wide like a football player. I feel so uneven with my muscular wide back and big arms. I lose weight quickest in my waist, legs and butt which I'd like to keep by the way. I really just want to get those folds off my wide back and slim my wide back :) I notice that its getting a lil better as I workout. I havent quite found any exercises to shrink my upper and I try to stay away from any muscle building from the waist up. Has anyone had any luck with losing the top half? What workouts are you using? Oh, I'm 5'7 by the way.
  • Tonya0503
    Options
    Hi there, I am also an "Inverted Triangle" and it sucks...... :)

I have broad shoulders, HUGE Boobs (38ddd)... Little hips and butt..... Lol

Since April 2013, I have lost a total of 36 lbs, with another 14 lbs to go.... Goal wight: 140

My boobs have decreased from 42ddd to 38ddd, my hips, legs, and butt got smaller..... WHY?????...... Lolol.... I didn't have much to begin with.....lol

BTW..... How do I add pics to a thread?
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    1-Downloads2.jpg

You look awesome!! Congrats on your weight loss. :smile:
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Im an inverted triangle as well, I hate it!! Big shoulders, big chest, very small hips & no butt. I don't know how wide my shoulders are, never meassured. But my chest is 34 (was 38), stomach is 28(was 34) and hips are 34. I also have a short torso & that makes having an inverted triangle body shape even worse!! :sad:

after4_zps885d2f42.png

^^^See, NO BUTT :cry:

after3_zps3229621a.png

Kinda embarrassed to show this frontal view, but you can see how fat I still look since I have a short torso with small hips. Before pic is at 170, after pic is at 117. Im 5'4"
  • soozy_q
    soozy_q Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OMG can't believe there is a name for it, never heard it before. I always just referred to myself having massive man shoulders. I really need a measuring tape. Your right though when I lost weight before it did really improve.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Hard to tell from the before pics.
    Kimbefore.jpg

e700e90c-923d-4338-afe0-5f9307aeb593_zpscbd07a57.jpg
    1y9f2_zpse740913a.gif
    P1000147_zpsa29a07dc.jpg
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an inverted triangle shape. I got teased when I was younger about it. A friend would call me Brawny, after the paper towel guy. I didn't like that much.... But anyway. I can really relate to those talking about shoulder pads! Lol

I took my measurements yesterday.

Shoulders 41 in
    Chest 36.5
    Under bust 34
    Waist 34 3/4
    Hips 38 1/2

My chest is really really small..... I mean bandaids would probably do the trick. (Slight exaggeration) And of course it's the first to shrink when working out and getting fit.

I was really fit before having kids. I didn't mind my shape then. ....... I was glad to know about googling strawberry shape. I will definitely do that! I really didn't realize what my shape was called either. Glad to know!
  • bodyshame
    Options
    hello! I just joined this site and so glad to of found u all! I too am an inverted triangle shape. Im 5'6 170 lbs short legs, long torso, huge shoulders, small waist with a flat butt and absolutely no hips...I hate it. I have even considered a BBL to make me look more proportionate but I am afraid to come out looking worse.
  • Leggo1288
    Leggo1288 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I'm an inverted triangle, alright! I never knew what my body type was called before I read about it just a few weeks ago! So glad to see others on here going through the same frustrations. I no longer have any weight to lose; in fact, I'm trying to gain/bulk up. I've gotten into lifting heavy since the last week in Dec. 2013. I've seen the most startling body changes since then. Before that, I was doing cardio all of the time (running, Insanity, etc.). While those things helped me lose the weight I needed to lose, I think it's weight training that will get me to where I really want to be. Here are my measurements:

Shoulders: 40

Chest: 35 (I was a DD cup, but now with weight training I'm losing that--probably a D, close to a C right now)

Abdomen: 26.5 (I was 28)

Hips: 33.5

No butt, and skinny legs. However, my hip measurement has gone up a half an inch, and my butt is starting to perk up from the weight lifting, and my legs are getting some definition--no more twigs! The frustrating part is my waist! I don't think I'll ever have a real waist, where there's a nice curve there, but it's better than it was, and now I'm seeing some abs. I really encourage anyone to lift heavy, but I think our shape particularly will benefit. Good luck to everyone. We can reach our goals.
  • amcken3
    Options
    I was REALLY hoping to hear more about what to eat for inverted triangle bodies and some examples of what you eat for each meal....maybe even a good workout video for our body type? I'm feeling a bit discouraged because I can't seem to lose for some reason. Thanks so much.

My measurements are 47 (40 DD), I'm high waisted, waist 37, and hips are 39.5...I have very broad shoulders and back and thin legs...I have no doubt I'm an IT.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!