Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I read somewhere that a lot of models are inverted triangles. Supermodel Naomi Campbell is one and she looks great in her clothes.

See also: Kate Upton - latest Sports Illustrated darling.

I think I prefer the term 'top heavy'.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm so glad I found this topic. I just finished reading all the posts and have to say there is one more joining this thread...Me!
    I'm an IT too (pretty sure). Most of my life I've been told I have a cone shape and I absolutely hated it! Now that the weight is starting to come off, I can see the pros in having this shape...for example the shoulders! Now I can bare my shoulders with confidence and without being ashamed of looking like a football player (which I've been called :/ ) Still struggling with finding the right jackets...with no padding of course but bring on the cute tops!

So true about the shoulders. I really appreciate them now since I have lost weight. I can now wear tank tops with pride. :)
  • purplecharm
    Options
    SO GLAD I found this thread! I'm an IT with really long "bird" legs. It drives me crazy. I always say that my upper body doesn't "belong" with my lower body. I've lost a total of 52 lbs and still have 27 more to lose, but I'm finally looking a little more "normal." I'm 5'9" and currently a loose size 14 pant/short but I still have to get XL tops because of my shoulders. I've lost weight before (about 10 years ago) and remember actually getting into Medium tops, but that was 2 babies ago...Not that having children should make any difference, since my hips are still relatively small but...who knows!?!?! Glad to read all of the posts on this thread!
    Question: What kind of swimsuit will you all be wearing this year?

Congrats to you on your weight loss!

I have lost 42 lbs and have 17 lbs to go to reach my goal weight. I can wear a size 12 bottoms but still in an XL for tops. I think those last 17 lbs will be lost in my ab and back.

If I decide to buy a swimsuit this year, I will get a one piece with the skater skirt at the bottom in order to balance out my slim hips/butt.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I'm this shape too! I've noticed I lost weight in my upper legs, but not so much on my waist (where I want it off)! Is it true abut fat first on, last off? My belly would be that spot.

I think it's true. The weight in my abdomen came off much slower than other areas, such as my legs. I have about 17 more pounds to lose and I think that the majority of those pounds will be lost in my waist and back area.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This is me.... I rarely see others with this shape...unless its a guy!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    22368886_9506_zps7e7a9d0c.jpg
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Instead of an apple, maybe this is my true shape? I am 5"5" and weigh 125 pounds. My shoulder circumference is 35", bra is 36D, waist at the bottom of my rib cage is 28" and hips 34". My thighs are 19". If it wasn't for my D cup, I would look like I don't have a waist. I am built like a barrel on two sticks. I am the one on the right in my profile pic.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    By the way OP, I remember reading this thread back in January when you first posted. Awesome job staying with it! You are in it for the long haul! Way to go!:drinker:
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    IT here too!!! I thought I was an apple for a while, but I fit IT much better. I've always referred to my back as my "man back." Even made up a tune to the Milkshake song "my man back brings all the boys to the yard." It's an unfortunate shape for me because I always gain weight in my back, face, belly, and arms, and if I want to look good I have to keep my weight pretty dang low. I could weigh 400 pounds and still have a small butt and legs. Guess the good part is that my legs are awesome. Now if I could just get the top part to match...
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm so glad I found this topic. I just finished reading all the posts and have to say there is one more joining this thread...Me!
    I'm an IT too (pretty sure). Most of my life I've been told I have a cone shape and I absolutely hated it! Now that the weight is starting to come off, I can see the pros in having this shape...for example the shoulders! Now I can bare my shoulders with confidence and without being ashamed of looking like a football player (which I've been called :/ ) Still struggling with finding the right jackets...with no padding of course but bring on the cute tops!

So true about the shoulders. I really appreciate them now since I have lost weight. I can now wear tank tops with pride. :)

Same here! I used to HATE it when my mom would by me nice clothes with shoulder pads! I used to rip them out. I am sooo happy to be able to wear tank tops again! and you guys are right, i love my shoulders now! When you've looked like a linebacker most of your life, it is hard to find clothes that fit. But since the weight is coming off, I am embracing my body now. I used to buy butt and hip pads, but I no longer wear them since I am getting more proportional. I've dropped 30 lbs and back down to the weight I was in college. 5 more pounds and I'll be back to my high school weight. However, I like my body more now than back then because I know what I am focusing on. I know you can't "spot reduce" but I am definitely toning my butt and working on my back. Pics to come soon!

Also, I asked a question earlier about heavy lifting and it looking more bulky on us linebackers, but I can say that 4 weeks in, my body has never felt and looked better!
  • purplecharm
    Options
    1-Downloads2.jpg

Before: Jan 25, 2013 - approximately 225 lbs

After: June 26, 2013 - 187 lbs

Sorry about the little distortion in the before picture.

As you can see, I carry a lot of excess weight in my abdomen. The weight is slowly coming off in that area. I can fit into size 12 bottoms. My waist is 36 inches (yikes!).

I am pleased with my results. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I read somewhere that a lot of models are inverted triangles. Supermodel Naomi Campbell is one and she looks great in her clothes.

How about "athletic," for a positive term that describes a fit, healthy woman with a well built upper body?
  • purplecharm
    Options
    22368886_9506_zps7e7a9d0c.jpg

Looking good! Keep up the good work.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    By the way OP, I remember reading this thread back in January when you first posted. Awesome job staying with it! You are in it for the long haul! Way to go!:drinker:

Thank you! :smile:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    IT here too!!! I thought I was an apple for a while, but I fit IT much better. I've always referred to my back as my "man back." Even made up a tune to the Milkshake song "my man back brings all the boys to the yard." It's an unfortunate shape for me because I always gain weight in my back, face, belly, and arms, and if I want to look good I have to keep my weight pretty dang low. I could weigh 400 pounds and still have a small butt and legs. Guess the good part is that my legs are awesome. Now if I could just get the top part to match...

I gain weight in the same areas. I agree about keeping the weight low, because I think we look best when we are not carrying access weight.

LOL @ the Milkshake remix
  • purplecharm
    Options
    Hi,

Same here! I used to HATE it when my mom would by me nice clothes with shoulder pads! I used to rip them out. I am sooo happy to be able to wear tank tops again! and you guys are right, i love my shoulders now! When you've looked like a linebacker most of your life, it is hard to find clothes that fit. But since the weight is coming off, I am embracing my body now. I used to buy butt and hip pads, but I no longer wear them since I am getting more proportional. I've dropped 30 lbs and back down to the weight I was in college. 5 more pounds and I'll be back to my high school weight. However, I like my body more now than back then because I know what I am focusing on. I know you can't "spot reduce" but I am definitely toning my butt and working on my back. Pics to come soon!

Also, I asked a question earlier about heavy lifting and it looking more bulky on us linebackers, but I can say that 4 weeks in, my body has never felt and looked better!

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks for following up on the question about lifting and bulking up.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

How about "athletic," for a positive term that describes a fit, healthy woman with a well built upper body?

That works, but personally I don't associate 'athletic' with the busty implications of top heavy.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    LUV this thread! I am an Inverted Triangle for sure! My bestie says I have "sexy little chicken legs", but I don't think they are all that sexy when I can't get jeans to fit them because my hips and legs are 2 sizes smaller than my waist, and of course, my tops are 2 sizes bigger than that! lol I am so glad to find others with this shape and will be sending some friend requests! Can't wait to have some success to share with my fellow IT gals!!!
  • sol4vita
    sol4vita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! You look amazing. Congratulations!!!!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I discovered I am also an inverted triangle. Growing up people would comment that I was built like a linebacker. Not a good image for an impressionable girl. Always thought I was fat because I had a large waistline no matter how much I weighed. But now I am embracing my shape and happy with the knowledge I am fit and healthy.

Shoulders: 39.5"

Bust: 35.5"

Waist: 30"

Hips: 35.5"

My legs and arms are naturally thin and my butt is flat. But since starting lifting heavy weights my muscles are creating curves of a different kind. My shoulders are more muscular too but WTH. They look strong and I view them as one of my positives.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!