7 Side effects of Sodas

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    G-9

Thanks. Good start for me on Forums BINGO!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Research != Heard/saw it somewhere and didn't check the sources
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Whenever I read these debates I always end up thinking that the anti-soda/diet soda people think that those of us who have no problem drinking soda/diet soda do so under the misconception that they are good for us.

I've yet to find a soda/diet soda drinker who says 'soda is healthy and good for you' and believes it. We just don't happen to believe the alarmist, anecdotal, or limited studies that say soda/diet soda is going to kill you in some way if you drink it.

I also find the 'it's made up of chemicals which makes it bad/dangerous/toxic/whatever' line of thought moot.

You can't live in this world and not ingest chemicals/toxins. And, yes, this includes the clean eaters. You can limit what you ingest by your choices but you can't completely cut chemicals/toxins out of your life, and you don't even know all the man made chemicals/toxins that you ingest on a daily basis.

We are an industrial world, there are machines of every sort out there and have been for years, people smoke and burn things. All this puts chemicals into our atmosphere which means into our rain, which means into our soil, worldwide. If you don't believe this take a look at where volcanic ash manages to reach after an eruption.

Now, onto the deliberate ingestion of man-made chemicals/toxins and how they'll kill you. I'm not going to debate this because it's fact, in the right context. It's the dose you ingest of these chemicals/toxins that decides whether it's going to kill you.

A long time ago a combination of natural (prolonged CPR) and chemical/toxins (medical drugs) pulled me back from the brink of death. Following that I had to take a regimen of rat poison (Warfarin) for a year to stop the condition from recurring.

I have a mental illness, I take two, sometimes three, different chemical combinations/toxins on a daily basis to make it possible for me to live a normal life, and yes, to help me have the ability to eat a healthier diet.

My husband has leukemia, he takes chemicals/toxins daily to keep him alive. He stops and he'll likely be dead in a matter of months. He also has diabetes which he also treats with chemicals/toxins daily.

Do these chemicals/toxins we choose to ingest have side effects? Of course they do. As intelligent, educated adults, we weigh the side effects against the benefits and make a conscious choice what to live with.

As intelligent, educated adults, we also weight the pros and cons of every food we choose to eat, and make a conscious choice of what to live with.

I've been drinking Diet Coke since it came on the market god knows how many years ago. I've drunk it in rather large quantities at times. Now I drink 12 oz daily, give or take. My personal experience and research suggests that other things are likely to kill me way faster than anything in soda/diet soda.

Drink soda/diet soda, or don't drink soda/diet soda. But if you're going to make alarmist seeming posts, be prepared to support your stance with credible sources because those who have also done their research and believe differently are going to call you on it.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I have researched it. There are tons and tons of claims by nutritionists, scientists, and doctors saying its not good for you and a smaller amount that say its ok. All I know is that when I stopped drinking it I lost weight, and when I do occasionally drink a Pepsi, it makes me feel like ****. My body tells me "no good" and that's enough for me.

When I drink milk, I get very sick, sometimes to the point of vomiting. My nephew gets very sick when he eats peanuts, to the point that he has to have life saving intervention to survive. An old co-worker of mine had the same reaction to tomatoes. Just because something doesn't work well for one group of people, doesn't make it dangerous for others. Just because something works well for one group doesn't mean it is safe for all others. Some people should really never drink sodas, for others, not a problem.

If I were to take insulin, I would become very ill, could possibly go into a coma and die. Does that mean no one should ever take the stuff because it is poison? Ask my grandma who would have died years ago without daily injections.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Whenever I read these debates I always end up thinking that the anti-soda/diet soda people think that those of us who have no problem drinking soda/diet soda do so under the misconception that they are good for us.

I've yet to find a soda/diet soda drinker who says 'soda is healthy and good for you' and believes it. We just don't happen to believe the alarmist, anecdotal, or limited studies that say soda/diet soda is going to kill you in some way if you drink it.

I also find the 'it's made up of chemicals which makes it bad/dangerous/toxic/whatever' line of thought moot.

You can't live in this world and not ingest chemicals/toxins. And, yes, this includes the clean eaters. You can limit what you ingest by your choices but you can't completely cut chemicals/toxins out of your life, and you don't even know all the man made chemicals/toxins that you ingest on a daily basis.

We are an industrial world, there are machines of every sort out there and have been for years, people smoke and burn things. All this puts chemicals into our atmosphere which means into our rain, which means into our soil, worldwide. If you don't believe this take a look at where volcanic ash manages to reach after an eruption.

Now, onto the deliberate ingestion of man-made chemicals/toxins and how they'll kill you. I'm not going to debate this because it's fact, in the right context. It's the dose you ingest of these chemicals/toxins that decides whether it's going to kill you.

A long time ago a combination of natural (prolonged CPR) and chemical/toxins (medical drugs) pulled me back from the brink of death. Following that I had to take a regimen of rat poison (Warfarin) for a year to stop the condition from recurring.

I have a mental illness, I take two, sometimes three, different chemical combinations/toxins on a daily basis to make it possible for me to live a normal life, and yes, to help me have the ability to eat a healthier diet.

My husband has leukemia, he takes chemicals/toxins daily to keep him alive. He stops and he'll likely be dead in a matter of months. He also has diabetes which he also treats with chemicals/toxins daily.

Do these chemicals/toxins we choose to ingest have side effects? Of course they do. As intelligent, educated adults, we weigh the side effects against the benefits and make a conscious choice what to live with.

As intelligent, educated adults, we also weight the pros and cons of every food we choose to eat, and make a conscious choice of what to live with.

I've been drinking Diet Coke since it came on the market god knows how many years ago. I've drunk it in rather large quantities at times. Now I drink 12 oz daily, give or take. My personal experience and research suggests that other things are likely to kill me way faster than anything in soda/diet soda.

Drink soda/diet soda, or don't drink soda/diet soda. But if you're going to make alarmist seeming posts, be prepared to support your stance with credible sources because those who have also done their research and believe differently are going to call you on it.

^ Spot on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just tagging this thread to see the milk studies regarding apparent negative effects on calcium/bone density.
    I will bet money that the "study" will correlate that people who ingest milk who are suffering from osteoporosis is going to be from India.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    But do you realize how hard it is to burp the alphabet if you DON'T drink coke?

LMAO!!!:drinker:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    How late is the person with all the research data going to sleep?! Make with the information!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have researched it. There are tons and tons of claims by nutritionists, scientists, and doctors saying its not good for you and a smaller amount that say its ok. All I know is that when I stopped drinking it I lost weight, and when I do occasionally drink a Pepsi, it makes me feel like ****. My body tells me "no good" and that's enough for me.
    "Claims" aren't science though. Dr. Oz claims a lot. And he's a real doctor by license. Now if it makes you feel like ****, then you're right for not drinking it. Consequently, I've drank diet soda for a long time (almost 30 years now) and haven't had any ill effects from it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I still want to hear from people that if milk is going to be "bad" for you, what the hell are you going to substitute when it comes to putting in a liquid with boxed cereal............................:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.
    You DON'T need milk to be healthy, but to tout that it has no benefits from consumption is false. Calcium is important and provided by milk.
    And you'd lose the debate. You claim to research information, but don't use actual peer reviewed clinical science. But thanks for playing anyway.

IDEA Fitness member

You need to go back to google, ninerbuff. Milk has been proven over and over to actually aggravate osteoporosis. You see, milk is slightly acidic and in order to neutralize the acid, your body pulls calcium straight from your bones. That is why populations that have very low dairy consumption have much lower rates of bone fractures and osteoporosis.

But, you know, you can just keep on believing what the dairy industry tells you, if that's what you want to do.

<
    Drinks milk and has never broken a bone in her life. Also has a good bone density
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    "Claims" aren't science though. Dr. Oz claims a lot. And he's a real doctor by license. Now if it makes you feel like ****, then you're right for not drinking it. Consequently, I've drank diet soda for a long time (almost 30 years now) and haven't had any ill effects from it.

IDEA Fitness member

LOL well I don't pay attention to that Quack for sure! I just came to my own conclusion that everyone is gonna do what they want and there are gonna be debates over this for years and years to come so I should just do what I think is best for me! :happy:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I still want to hear from people that if milk is going to be "bad" for you, what the hell are you going to substitute when it comes to putting in a liquid with boxed cereal............................:laugh:

And what about the cookies? Into what will one dunk one's cookies?
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    All I know is that once I gave up diet soda and the carbonation in it, my feet stopped swelling on a daily basis. I still drink Crystal Light so it wasn't the artifical sweetners. It was the carbonation that was causing the problem for me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

In Michigan, the answer is beer....

Edit to add - not because people believe milk is unhealthy, they just like beer, especially with honey nut cheerios.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oh....YEAH!! Medications are SO healthy for you. Um, have you ever looked at the list of side effects?? Usually it takes up an entire page in a magazine, small print. And how many things have passed FDA inspection only to be revealed later how incredibly dangerous and harmful they actually are? Seriously, where are you people saying these things coming from??
    My husband is a type 1 diabetic. Without medication, he would be DEAD.
    Instead of spouting alarmist nonsense, please take a little time to develop some critical thinking skills.

The person was probably referring to things like Vioxx. js
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Maybe instead of milk they use beer or wine. smiley-think004.gif
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Vodka. Duh!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally for me, I'm lactose intolerant.............................so I drink diet soda.:laugh: I KNOW that it's better for me than drinking milk.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I NEVER drink plain/diet sodas - I ONLY drink sodas if they have rum (or some other alcohol) added to it. I figure that all of the alcohol will kill out all the really bad stuff in the soda. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just my 2 cents - So I could get in on this one. :laugh: