7 Side effects of Sodas

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    lol..oh wow, I knew once I posted this that it would be a battle like every thing is on MFP. I'm just stating that soda is bad for me. Am I saying that its bad for everyone, no. I drink way to much of it and thats why I'm stopping. Anything that gets posted up here, there is always someone that finds something wrong with it, just let people have their own thoughts about things and go along with your own way.
    On a public forum, especially one that has lots of members, I feel it's responsible to post CORRECT information so that people don't get confused. That's why the debate. Just letting people "have their own thoughts" should be have been thought about before posting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You have your thoughts I have mine, I'm not saying these are all correct. NOTHING is this world is 100% correct.
    So 2+2 doesn't equal 4?:laugh:
    Someone is ALWAYS going to turn it around and say something else is bad in a year or two. I just posted it cause I wanted to.
    No you posted it because you THOUGHT it was right information and wanted to pass it on.
    They all say dont believe what you read on the internet. Well coming from EVERYONE of you all, nothing is to believe cause once again its the internet.
    There is informative and there is subjective view. You can actually find truth to believe in if you research correctly. You chose to just post what you thought was correct instead of actually researching it with tools from the internet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kas1025
    kas1025 Posts: 26
    Options
    lol..oh wow, I knew once I posted this that it would be a battle like every thing is on MFP. I'm just stating that soda is bad for me. Am I saying that its bad for everyone, no. I drink way to much of it and thats why I'm stopping. Anything that gets posted up here, there is always someone that finds something wrong with it, just let people have their own thoughts about things and go along with your own way.
    On a public forum, especially one that has lots of members, I feel it's responsible to post CORRECT information so that people don't get confused. That's why the debate. Just letting people "have their own thoughts" should be have been thought about before posting it.

IDEA Fitness member

You have your thoughts I have mine, I'm not saying these are all correct. NOTHING is this world is 100% correct.
    Someone is ALWAYS going to turn it around and say something else is bad in a year or two. I just posted it cause I wanted to.
    No you posted it because you THOUGHT it was right information and wanted to pass it on.
    They all say dont believe what you read on the internet. Well coming from EVERYONE of you all, nothing is to believe cause once again its the internet.
    There is informative and there is subjective view. You can actually find truth to believe in if you research correctly. You chose to just post what you thought was correct instead of actually researching it with tools from the internet.

IDEA Fitness member

Ha, I get a laugh everytime you reply to something, You have an answer for everything. lol...thanks for all the laughs. Hope you guys enjoyed it all. Keep it coming please!!!!! Say more!!!!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Ha, I get a laugh everytime you reply to something, You have an answer for everything. lol...thanks for all the laughs. Hope you guys enjoyed it all. Keep it coming please!!!!! Say more!!!!!!!!
    Probably not as much as a laugh from those who know that I'm actually right.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • kas1025
    Options
    Lol yeah ok...your right...let's believe everything this man says. Get out of here. I have beter things to do then replying after this.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol yeah ok...your right...let's believe everything this man says. Get out of here. I have beter things to do then replying after this.
    I actually have a great track record. You may refer to my friends list to find out that I do give out sound advice. And if I really sucked at this, don't you think by now I would have found a different career?:laugh:
    Facebook is waiting for you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lol, get it right................it's drinking DIET soda and depression!!! I had this debate with someone a few days ago and on the actual article itself it stated that MORE STUDIES NEEDED TO DONE. It wasn't concluded that diet soda caused depression, but was linked to depressed people.
    Goes right back to, as previously stated, correlation =/= causation. Or, as I believe you're fond of saying, "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc".

I see a lot of obese people eating vegetables and drinking water. Therefore, vegetables and water make you fat.

Caffeine disrupts sleep. I see a lot of people who seek help for insomnia and want a prescription for a sleeping aid who ingest a lot of caffeinated beverages during the day.
    I quite often drink coffee throughout the day, with my last cup (not decaf) within an hour or so before going to bed at night. I then proceed to sleep soundly for 8-9 hours. Your blanket statement about caffeine is invalid.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Caffeine disrupts sleep. I see a lot of people who seek help for insomnia and want a prescription for a sleeping aid who ingest a lot of caffeinated beverages during the day.

Meh. I sleep right through it.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Whenever I read these debates I always end up thinking that the anti-soda/diet soda people think that those of us who have no problem drinking soda/diet soda do so under the misconception that they are good for us.

I've yet to find a soda/diet soda drinker who says 'soda is healthy and good for you' and believes it. We just don't happen to believe the alarmist, anecdotal, or limited studies that say soda/diet soda is going to kill you in some way if you drink it.

I also find the 'it's made up of chemicals which makes it bad/dangerous/toxic/whatever' line of thought moot.

You can't live in this world and not ingest chemicals/toxins. And, yes, this includes the clean eaters. You can limit what you ingest by your choices but you can't completely cut chemicals/toxins out of your life, and you don't even know all the man made chemicals/toxins that you ingest on a daily basis.

We are an industrial world, there are machines of every sort out there and have been for years, people smoke and burn things. All this puts chemicals into our atmosphere which means into our rain, which means into our soil, worldwide. If you don't believe this take a look at where volcanic ash manages to reach after an eruption.

Now, onto the deliberate ingestion of man-made chemicals/toxins and how they'll kill you. I'm not going to debate this because it's fact, in the right context. It's the dose you ingest of these chemicals/toxins that decides whether it's going to kill you.

A long time ago a combination of natural (prolonged CPR) and chemical/toxins (medical drugs) pulled me back from the brink of death. Following that I had to take a regimen of rat poison (Warfarin) for a year to stop the condition from recurring.

I have a mental illness, I take two, sometimes three, different chemical combinations/toxins on a daily basis to make it possible for me to live a normal life, and yes, to help me have the ability to eat a healthier diet.

My husband has leukemia, he takes chemicals/toxins daily to keep him alive. He stops and he'll likely be dead in a matter of months. He also has diabetes which he also treats with chemicals/toxins daily.

Do these chemicals/toxins we choose to ingest have side effects? Of course they do. As intelligent, educated adults, we weigh the side effects against the benefits and make a conscious choice what to live with.

As intelligent, educated adults, we also weight the pros and cons of every food we choose to eat, and make a conscious choice of what to live with.

I've been drinking Diet Coke since it came on the market god knows how many years ago. I've drunk it in rather large quantities at times. Now I drink 12 oz daily, give or take. My personal experience and research suggests that other things are likely to kill me way faster than anything in soda/diet soda.

Drink soda/diet soda, or don't drink soda/diet soda. But if you're going to make alarmist seeming posts, be prepared to support your stance with credible sources because those who have also done their research and believe differently are going to call you on it.

This what one calls "to own" or "to PWN"
  • kas1025
    Options
    I actually have a great track record. You may refer to my friends list to find out that I do give out sound advice. And if I really sucked at this, don't you think by now I would have found a different career?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Its morel ike my 14month old daughter needs me more then this. Much love to all...Goodbye.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Its morel ike my 14month old daughter needs me more then this. Much love to all...Goodbye.
    So why do you keep coming back?:laugh: Go feed that kid some milk.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think the person who was going to post research isn't, in fact, going to post. If you had groundbreaking evidence of a bonafide health risk to large numbers of people, wouldn't you want to get that information out to people in the most convincing, credible way possible? Who sits on important scientific results and doesn't share them?

Oh yeah. Nobody.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think the person who was going to post research isn't, in fact, going to post. If you had groundbreaking evidence of a bonafide health risk to large numbers of people, wouldn't you want to get that information out to people in the most convincing, credible way possible? Who sits on important scientific results and doesn't share them?

Oh yeah. Nobody.

I'm baaacccckkk.

Check these out:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/6/1780.full.pdf This

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/115/3/736.full.pdf+html

http://ecancer.org/news/1311

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21335988

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.21305/pdf

I'll paste some abstracts as well:

Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program. 2007;60:185-96; discussion 196-9.

Adverse effects of cow's milk in infants.

Ziegler EE.

Source

Fomon Infant Nutrition Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA.

Abstract

The feeding of cow's milk has adverse effects on iron nutrition in infants and young children. Several different mechanisms have been identified that may act synergistically. Probably most important is the low iron content of cow's milk. It makes it difficult for the infant to obtain the amounts of iron needed for growth. A second mechanism is the occult intestinal blood loss, which occurs in about 40% of normal infants during feeding of cow's milk. Loss of iron in the form of blood diminishes with age and ceases after 1 year of age. A third factor is calcium and casein provided by cow's milk in high amounts. Calcium and casein both inhibit the absorption of dietary nonheme iron. Infants fed cow's milk receive much more protein and minerals than they need. The excess has to be excreted in the urine. The high renal solute load leads to higher urine concentration during the feeding of cow's milk than during the feeding of breast milk or formula. When fluid intakes are low and/or when extrarenal water losses are high, the renal concentrating ability of infants may be insufficient for maintaining water balance in the face of high water use for excretion of the high renal solute. The resulting negative water balance, if prolonged, can lead to serious dehydration. There is strong epidemiological evidence that the feeding of cow's milk or formulas with similarly high potential renal solute load places infants at an increased risk of serious dehydration. The feeding of cow's milk to infants is undesirable because of cow's milk's propensity to lead to iron deficiency and because it unduly increases the risk of severe dehydration.

PMID: 17664905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/09/12/13120.aspx

Dairy milk is singled out as the biggest dietary cause of osteoporosis because more than any other food it depletes the finite reserve of bone-making cells in the body.

So although milk makes bones stronger in the short term, in the long term it erodes bone-making cells, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. This explains a paradox: black people are known to be less tolerant to lactose in milk, and consequently they drink less milk, yet they get much less osteoporosis than white people. This new research resolves the paradox because by consuming less milk you are less likely to get osteoporosis.

Growing evidence is showing that calcium in milk does not protect against osteoporosis. For example in a 12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women, those who drank milk three times a day actually broke more bones than women who rarely drank milk. Similarly, a 1994 study in Sydney, Australia, showed that higher dairy product consumption was associated with increased fracture risk: those with the highest dairy consumption had double the risk of hip fracture compared to those with the lowest consumption.

Author Russell Eaton says: 'Dairy milk does increase bone density, but this comes at a terrible price. The latest research is showing that far from protecting bones, milk actually increases the risk of osteoporosis by eroding bone-making cells. Also, people with osteoporosis have a much higher incidence of heart disease and cancer, and the evidence is pointing at milk as the common factor. '

It had been thought that prostate cancer was caused by harmful fats in the diet, but this may not be so. Calcium and phosphorus in milk serve to feed nanobacteria, causing calcification and cancer.

It seems that harmful calcification, caused by nanobacteria in the body, is at the root of many diseases such as arthritis, kidney stones, heart disease and stroke. These microscopic organisms get fed calcium and phosphorus from the bloodstream and then secrete calcium phosphate to cause calcification. In the book The Milk Imperative the author shows how dairy milk feeds nanobacteria, thus causing many serious diseases.

Commenting on the book Dr. Amy Lanou (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, USA) said: ‘There is a compelling argument that today’s pasteurized milk, in all its guises, has virtually no redeeming features at all, and serves only to cause disease and poor health. By simply switching from dairy to non-dairy milk we will make a dramatic and long-lasting improvement to our health.’

I have more. LOTS more.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Although I would like to sit around all day debating with you folks, I don't have the time. I hope you will go forth and do your own research, as I mentioned earlier. It takes a lot of time to seek out objective information and look at all sides with a critical mind, and I shouldn't have to do it for you.

I am not a "hipster", I am not vegetarian, I am not anything. I am just someone who likes to know the facts. I'm someone who uses science, reason, and logic to form observations and opinions about the world around me. I can and do change my views according to new, compelling evidence.

I'm sure you will have plenty of negative comments to throw at me, and that's fine. I'm signing off now, so please don't take my lack of reply as conceding anything or giving up. I just would rather do something productive than fighting all day online.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm baaacccckkk.

Hi

What am I missing here? What does this have to do with dairy causing osteoperosis?

"Conclusion: Pooled results from prospective cohort studies suggest that calcium intake is not significantly associated with hip fracture risk in women or men. Pooled results from randomized controlled trials show no reduction in hip fracture risk with calcium supplementation, and an increased risk is possible. For any nonvertebral fractures, there was a neutral effect in the randomized trials"

Still confused - all this is doing is discussing whether dairy (or calcium in general for that matter) is beneficial to bone health or not. There is no indication that they found it harmful, and in fact I draw your attention to the bolded parts:

Extract:

Results from calcium supplementation trials are generally not mirrored in studies that use dairy products or total dietary calcium intake. Dairy products contain nutrients, including protein, sodium, and, in some cases, supplemental vitamin D, all of which influence calcium balance and bone mineralization and alter or negate the effect of dairy calcium in the body’s mineral economy. Animal protein and sodium, in particular, tend to increase calcium excretion. According to calculations by Weaver et al, even with the calciuric effect of protein and sodium, dairy product consumption should result in a positive calcium balance and, presumably, a positive effect on bone mineralization. However, in clinical, longitudinal, retrospective, and cross-sectional studies, neither increased consumption of dairy products, specifically, nor total dietary calcium consumption has shown even a modestly consistent benefit for child or adolescent bone health.

Recent reviews of the effect of dairy product and calcium consumption on bone health have highlighted these factors that affect calcium balance and bone mineral accrual and have presented conflicting conclusions. Weinsier and Krumdieck reviewed papers that evaluated the effect of dairy product consumption on bone health across the lifespan and concluded that the “body of evidence appears inadequate to support a recommendation for daily intake of dairy foods to promote bone health in the general US population.” In contrast, Heaney’s review cited 139 studies that examined the relationship between calcium (including supplemental sources) intake and bone status of children and adults and concluded that the evidence supports a role for calcium, especially from dairy products, in bone health.

In a review that focused on determinants of bone health, specifically in children and adolescents, Bachrach noted that it is unknown whether any short term effects of dietary or supplemental calcium intervention in childhood or adolescence will translate into clinically eaningful reductions of osteoporosis risk in later life. Finally, a detailed recent review of the role of calcium in bone health during childhood observed that increases in BMD (observed primarily in cortical bone) related to higher calcium intakes were most apparent for children with relatively low baseline calcium intakes and did not persist beyond the treatment period.

The vast majority of controlled studies of dairy supplementation or total dietary calcium intake show that, although very low calcium intakes (eg, 400 mg/day) may be harmful to bone development as shown in a few studies, increases in dairy or total dietary calcium intake (400–500 mg/day) are not correlated with or a predictor of BMD or fracture rate in children or adolescents. We found no evidence to support the notion that milk is a preferred source of calcium. Indeed, only a minority of studies on dietary factors in bone health specifically examined dairy products. Although the conclusion of the 1994 National Institutes of Health consensus statement on optimal calcium intake does not explicitly state that cow milk is the preferred source of calcium, it has been interpreted widely by government and industry as doing so. For example, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development has selected low-fat or fat-free milk as the best source of calcium for its “Milk Matters” campaign because it has a high calcium content and the calcium can be absorbed easily by the body. Although milk and other dairy products are reliable sources of calcium, many factors affect the availability and retention of the calcium from these products. For example, the calcium in dairy products is not as well absorbed as that in many dark green leafy vegetables but has an absorption fraction similar to that of calcium supplements, calcium-enriched beverages, calcium-set tofu, sweet potatoes, and beans. Dairy products contain protein and sodium, and some dairy products, especially processed cheeses, clearly increase the urinary excretion of calcium as a result of their increased sodium, sulfur-containing amino acid, and phosphorus content. Although dairy products tend to contain more calcium in absolute amounts than calcium-rich plant foods, when absorption fraction is taken into account, the amount of plant food needed to get the same amount of absorbable calcium is modest. For example, 1 cup of cooked kale or turnip greens, 2 packets of instant oats, two-thirds cup of tofu, or 1 2⁄3 cups of broccoli provide the same amount of absorbable calcium as 1 cup of cow milk (as would 1 cup of fortified orange juice, soy milk, or Basic 4 cereal). Many of the studies that have been used to set recommended levels of calcium intake are short-term calcium balance trials or longer-term calcium supplementation trials that last 1 to 3 years. Most evidence that is available from longer-term studies that evaluated the effect of childhood consumption of dairy or calcium on BMD or BMC have not supported the hypothesis that a positive calcium balance translates into increases in BMD, and, in many cases, confounders have not been controlled for adequately. Furthermore, it has not been demonstrated that if, in fact, increases in bone mass occur as a result of calcium consumption, then these increases will persist into adulthood or simply beyond the treatment period.

Currently, available evidence does not support nutrition guidelines focused specifically on increasing milk or other dairy product intake for promoting child and adolescent bone mineralization. Data regarding the effect of dairy product intake on bone mineralization in boys, children who are 7 years old, and nonwhite preadolescent and adolescentgirls are scarce.

So this post is not ridiculously long - I will get to the others later if I have time - but am not going to rush to get to it based on the lack of anything remotely supporting your claim from the first two. Plus, this thread is supposed to be about soda, not milk, which you also claimed had significant negative impact to health but did not support that claim when asked.

Edited to fix formatting
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Although I would like to sit around all day debating with you folks, I don't have the time. I hope you will go forth and do your own research, as I mentioned earlier. It takes a lot of time to seek out objective information and look at all sides with a critical mind, and I shouldn't have to do it for you.

I am not a "hipster", I am not vegetarian, I am not anything. I am just someone who likes to know the facts. I'm someone who uses science, reason, and logic to form observations and opinions about the world around me. I can and do change my views according to new, compelling evidence.

I'm sure you will have plenty of negative comments to throw at me, and that's fine. I'm signing off now, so please don't take my lack of reply as conceding anything or giving up. I just would rather do something productive than fighting all day online.

If you think that 'absolves' you from the studies you posted purporting to support your claim, but in fact doing no such thing, you are sadly mistaken.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you are really using a study on infants to show your facts. Infants and young children have different dietary needs. Hence why it is not recommended to give infants whole milk until they are a year old. Next, you are going to tell us that multi-vitamins are bad for us too, because we excrete the excess vitamins in urine. Please...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/09/12/13120.aspx

Dairy milk is singled out as the biggest dietary cause of osteoporosis because more than any other food it depletes the finite reserve of bone-making cells in the body.

So although milk makes bones stronger in the short term, in the long term it erodes bone-making cells, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. This explains a paradox: black people are known to be less tolerant to lactose in milk, and consequently they drink less milk, yet they get much less osteoporosis than white people. This new research resolves the paradox because by consuming less milk you are less likely to get osteoporosis.

Growing evidence is showing that calcium in milk does not protect against osteoporosis. For example in a 12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women, those who drank milk three times a day actually broke more bones than women who rarely drank milk. Similarly, a 1994 study in Sydney, Australia, showed that higher dairy product consumption was associated with increased fracture risk: those with the highest dairy consumption had double the risk of hip fracture compared to those with the lowest consumption.

Author Russell Eaton says: 'Dairy milk does increase bone density, but this comes at a terrible price. The latest research is showing that far from protecting bones, milk actually increases the risk of osteoporosis by eroding bone-making cells. Also, people with osteoporosis have a much higher incidence of heart disease and cancer, and the evidence is pointing at milk as the common factor. '

It had been thought that prostate cancer was caused by harmful fats in the diet, but this may not be so. Calcium and phosphorus in milk serve to feed nanobacteria, causing calcification and cancer.

It seems that harmful calcification, caused by nanobacteria in the body, is at the root of many diseases such as arthritis, kidney stones, heart disease and stroke. These microscopic organisms get fed calcium and phosphorus from the bloodstream and then secrete calcium phosphate to cause calcification. In the book The Milk Imperative the author shows how dairy milk feeds nanobacteria, thus causing many serious diseases.

Commenting on the book Dr. Amy Lanou (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, USA) said: ‘There is a compelling argument that today’s pasteurized milk, in all its guises, has virtually no redeeming features at all, and serves only to cause disease and poor health. By simply switching from dairy to non-dairy milk we will make a dramatic and long-lasting improvement to our health.’

This is an article - not a study and it does not cite sources.

Plus, as a reminder, meta-analysis has the fundamental issue of showing correlation and not causation.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If I stopped eating and drinking everything that supposedly causes cancer, I would starve to death. Most of the aspartame studies, btw, used HUGE amounts of the stuff. You would have to drink several liters every single day to get that much.

Some of us are more sensitive than others. If I have one diet drink I have physical symptoms within 3 hours. Headaches, muscle tremors, patches of skin that burn and itch.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    People seem to be confusing something being 'not good for you' with being bad for you. They are not synonyms.
    Someone saying soda is not bad for you in moderation is not also claiming that it is good for you. There is a neutral point.

I can state that there is no evidence that soda is bad for you in moderation e.g. 1 can a day, which is a fact. This does not in any way mean I'm claiming soda is somehow good for you, or is something your body needs. It simply means that if you enjoy it it's fine to consume in moderation without ill effects.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    If I stopped eating and drinking everything that supposedly causes cancer, I would starve to death. Most of the aspartame studies, btw, used HUGE amounts of the stuff. You would have to drink several liters every single day to get that much.

Some of us are more sensitive than others. If I have one diet drink I have physical symptoms within 3 hours. Headaches, muscle tremors, patches of skin that burn and itch.

I get that when I eat white chocolate and coconut. Doesn't mean that either of those things are inherently bad for EVERYONE. Most people are not sensitive to those foods and can consume them with no problem. I am an exception, not the rule. You have a bad reaction to aspartame. You are the exception, not the rule.