Why the F...!!! Things you seen at the gym

Options
Kupe
Kupe Posts: 758 Member
My morning rant. Why the F... Would a trainer put someone onto a smith machine to do dead lifts when there is a perfectly good Olympic bar just sitting there. Then to make matters worse she had her doing alternate grips and no the trainee was not lifting huge weights. At the most 30lbs.

Replies

• CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts at my gym that the trainers encourage their people to do step ups... on the benches. Seriously, I'm about to lie down where you're putting your dirty feet right now.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My morning rant. Why the F... Would a trainer put someone onto a smith machine to do dead lifts when there is a perfectly good Olympic bar just sitting there. Then to make matters worse she had her doing alternate grips and no the trainee was not lifting huge weights. At the most 30lbs.

Probably a liability issue...

I will say, I got a funny look from the (male) trainer at my gym when I asked him to put the empty oly bar on my shoulders so I could *try* squatting outside the smith machine when I was ready to transition over ( someone was in the only squat rack). Even stranger is that he gave me that look KNOWING what I can do in the smith machine....
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Guy in underwear doing squats.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Ha! I once walked into one of the rooms where they hold group classes, when it was empty, and there was a guy stripped down to his whitey tighties flexing in the mirrored walls. I ran out very quickly and very quietly.

Another one that comes to mind was a guy who loaded up the bar for a bench press, then took a couple folded yoga mats, placed them on his chest, and then bounced the fully loaded bar off his chest several times. Then he put the bar back up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts at my gym that the trainers encourage their people to do step ups... on the benches. Seriously, I'm about to lie down where you're putting your dirty feet right now.

?

I do it all the time. No plyo boxes.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    guys/girls who use the benches as their resting spots. ugh.
  • jtbroussard
    jtbroussard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People who are using more than one machine at once, when they clearly see the gym is busy.
  • corbyxo
    corbyxo Posts: 22
    Options
    Girls who come to the gym with their hair all done up and their makeup caked on. Are you here to get in shape or for a photoshoot?
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Girls who come to the gym with their hair all done up and their makeup caked on. Are you here to get in shape or for a photoshoot?

Unless you actually know them you're judgement is baseless. Not everyone has time to change before going to the gym. They could be coming from work, meetings etc where they needed/wanted to look good.

And even if they are dressing up just for the gym, who cares? If it makes them feel better about themselves what harm. It's not affecting anyone but themselves.
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Options

LOL!!!!
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i see older folks walking on the treadmill backwards... *cringe* it's like watching a train wreck; you can't take your eyes off the scene. i am so afraid they will lose balance and hit their heads on the treadmill's power panel or something :$

as well, i saw a woman bring her four-year-old daughter into the health club with her to run on the treadmill. a trainer thankfully put a stop to it, but the woman was very angry, saying, "but she has to run with me, she's got to lose weight!"

i see loads of weird things in general; i live in china and people usually don't go to the gym to workout, and therefore have no idea how to safely or properly use the equipment.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The jacknuts who come up to me when I'm mid-rep to ask how much longer I will be... My hair is all pulled back & one can CLEARLY see the BRIGHT PURPLE earphones & wire going from my ears to my iPhone in its bright purple LifeProof case: the volume is up to block out the jacknuts. So WHY would you be discourteous enough to ask someone something when they are obviously in the middle of something? And no, I'm not going to put down my weights, pull both headphones out of my ear to ask you what you just said because if I do that I may just pull them out & shove them...

But I digress. People that machine milk - they're waiting for their friend and don't want to lose their "favorite" machine so they half-arsed workout until their friend shows up & then that machine is lost for over 30 minutes... jacknuts.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Unless you actually know them you're judgement is baseless. Not everyone has time to change before going to the gym. They could be coming from work, meetings etc where they needed/wanted to look good.

And even if they are dressing up just for the gym, who cares? If it makes them feel better about themselves what harm. It's not affecting anyone but themselves.

This doesn't bother me per say but I do kind of roll my eyes a bit when they do this and aren't working out hard enough to even break a sweat and spend half the time standing around talking/texting
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Agreed, there were a couple of girls at my old gym who always came in with perfect hair and makeup. They worked their a$$es off though, so good on them... I was actually quite mesmerised by how the hell they could do it...
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

FYI - I go to the gym after work - I work in a professional area where I am always dressed well, with hair neat & a little makeup: yes, the makeup is still on when I go to the gym. However, when I leave the gym you can TELL I worked out!! I would be more worried about the ones who leave looking as perfect as they did when they came in: obviously they're there for looks & not working out (especially since I see them barely walking on the treadmill for a few mins before spending the rest of the time "making the rounds" and talking to people causing more of a hold up on the machine I want to use... jacknuts!!
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options

FYI - I go to the gym after work - I work in a professional area where I am always dressed well, with hair neat & a little makeup: yes, the makeup is still on when I go to the gym. However, when I leave the gym you can TELL I worked out!! I would be more worried about the ones who leave looking as perfect as they did when they came in: obviously they're there for looks & not working out (especially since I see them barely walking on the treadmill for a few mins before spending the rest of the time "making the rounds" and talking to people causing more of a hold up on the machine I want to use... jacknuts!!

All of that is true enough but at the same time I think 'Who cares?'. It doesn't affect anyone but them. It's their money and their time that they're wasting, I don't really get why it bothers anyone else.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Ha! I once walked into one of the rooms where they hold group classes, when it was empty, and there was a guy stripped down to his whitey tighties flexing in the mirrored walls. I ran out very quickly and very quietly.

Another one that comes to mind was a guy who loaded up the bar for a bench press, then took a couple folded yoga mats, placed them on his chest, and then bounced the fully loaded bar off his chest several times. Then he put the bar back up.

I'm guessing that the first guy is a bodybuilder doing posing practice and the second is an equipped powerlifter practicing the bounce you get with a bench shirt... or they could both be douches...
  • disdatdude
    Options
    They need the smith machine. You, on the other hand, are a well oiled machine, my friend. Go ahead and stack that 500lbs ony the barb and get busy with no spotter. You don't need that blankety blank machine :drinker:
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I've seen a guy moonwalking on the treadmill, a guy in a winter coat and hat on the treadmill, a guy in a hairnet working out, a lady with an 80's cassette player walkman and most recently a lady using her headband as an iPod holder....umm ok?? LOL
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The guy who reached down his shorts, readjusted his junk (no big deal so far - not, you know, awesome, but no big deal) and then SNIFFED HIS FINGERS before walking off to another machine.

OMG. Gross. Grosser than gross.

Ew.
This discussion has been closed.