5 Truths about weight loss and people in general...

Replies

• I really like this picture...seems like a great time to share it!

Internet-tough-guy-troll.jpeg
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    can everyone just stop calling people "simple minded," "morons," and junk like that. If you disagree or agree or whatever, than do that. no need for insults.

There are only two posters that are personally attacking other posters (OP and one other poster) and these two have been reported :smile:

Thankfully we have the hall monitor here so the thread will get closed and people who don't understand basic sentences will never get to see explanations.

You've personally insulted people much smarter than you in an obvious attempt to start trouble. I'm sure you and what is most likely the fake account you used to start this thread are reporting everyone right now, even though you're the one with the big mouth and the bad information.

The woman you called a moron knows more about fitness than you could ever hope to, she's in better shape than you, she's a helpful and supportive member of this community.

No one's buying your act.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Eating 1400 calories of ice cream per day while burning 2500 calories per day is moronic. See how easy that was?
    An argument that makes about as much sense as the original post. Legit in the context of this thread.

It actually does make sense. Calories in vs calories out by itself IS moronic. While calorie counting is a great way to lose weight, eating the right calories is the key to success. Pretty simple for the not so simple minded.

What about ^^this makes counting calories moronic. Are you saying you should not count them at all?

No one said counting calories is moronic, moron.

You might want to read the rules. Insulting others like you did is a no-no.

then call the cops captain save a h0

Thank you :flowerforyou: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    can everyone just stop calling people "simple minded," "morons," and junk like that. If you disagree or agree or whatever, than do that. no need for insults.

There are only two posters that are personally attacking other posters (OP and one other poster) and these two have been reported :smile:

Thankfully we have the hall monitor here so the thread will get closed and people who don't understand basic sentences will never get to see explanations.

You've personally insulted people much smarter than you in an obvious attempt to start trouble. I'm sure you and what is most likely the fake account you used to start this thread are reporting everyone right now, even though you're the one with the big mouth and the bad information.

The woman you called a moron knows more about fitness than you could ever hope to, she's in better shape than you, she's a helpful and supportive member of this community.

I heart you.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member

This. :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Agreed with Brett. Sara has proven her knowledge time and time again. Her, along with other MFPers, such as Sidesteel, really take the time to educate themselves and others. They dig for the truth and back their words with facts and studies. THAT'S why, when it comes down to it, I'd take her word over someone who just stomps in and starts spouting and wagging fingers, acting as if there is just one right way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    1) People want to be lied to about weight maintenance and health. They want to hear that they do not need to devote time/energy to working out/activities in great amounts, but can still lose gobs of weight and better yet KEEP IT OFF. They want to hear that they won't have to spend time and money and effort preparing and portioning different foods than they eat today....

Don't believe me...?

Ask yourself how many times you hear adverts EXPLICITLY claiming things like:

You won't have to change your lifestyle...

This plan will fit with a busy lifestyle....

You cannot change your schedule so in 60 mins a weeks X.Y.Z....

Eat the foods you like....you're used to and still lose the....

A logical and sane person with critical thinking skills SHOULD THEN ASK THEMSELVES one paramount question-

WHY THEN ARE THERE SO MANY MILLIONS OF OBESE AMERICANS?
    There are obese Americans because of over consumption. You CAN eat what you want and lose weight.
    2) Most chronically and seriously overweight/obese people (if you are a 140 lbs girl who wants to lose 18 lb to get into a bikini by spring break im not talking to you) have issues with a swingy/spikey insulin response. It is amazing to me people are unaware of this fundamental issue MOST overweight people face.

What does that mean...well, there really is no point going into the minutae of the science(if I even could completely, lol) but basically insulin is a key hormone that regulates hunger//energy/anabolism through the regulation of intercellular movt. of glucose(organic energy).

Swingy insulin folks react more more severely to changes in blood sugar than others and this has 2 important manifestations for those of us who find ourselves chronically overweight:

A) If we do not eat for long stretches, we become RAVENOUSLY almost uncontrollably hungry. Ask yourself this, are you the type who when they skip breakfast can go absolutely nuts at lunch time and easily eat 2 lunches worth of food? If so, im talking to you most likely.

B) High GI (glycemic index) food, or foods that break down really rapidly in our bodies will cause us to not be full as you might think, but to get more and more hungry until we physically fill up our stomachs with food. Can you eat whole milk and cereal for days our of a salad bowl? **hand goes up**...can you eat pasta forever?....this is what im talking about.

I might go back into this, but if those are the issues/challenges; here are the solutions....

solution A) Eat smaller meals, more frequently throughout the day....NO, not snacks, MEALS. 5-6 meals work best, but even moving from 2-3 to 4 every day will help. I find for most 5 is really effective and for intense lifters/trainees 6 works even better.

A meal has every macronutrient USUALLY, protein, carbs and fats....so no, a special K bar isnt a meal. Perhaps one with fiber, a glass of milk and half a serving of almonds is IF YOUR caloric needs are quite low.

solution B) Try to limit high GI foods throughout the day allowing for ingesting some upon waking to replenish glycogen stores and after workouts(especially intense/lifting) with protein to help shuttle in nutrients/sugar to the cells when they most need it.
    Make sure you have protein and high quality fiber with meals that have carbs...it helps balance out this response or "swing".
    Lots of broscience here. Let's first see some peer reviewed clinical studies that actually support some of the claims.

Ill work on the other 3 if people enjoy this first post....here is a preview:

3) Why calorie in calorie out is moronic......
    Yes, it's moronic if you don't think that it relates to weight loss.
    4) Yes, you need to exercise more than 20 mins 3x a week...sorry/ yes, you will need resistance work as you get older for holistic health and LONGTERM weight maintenance.
    I do agree with this.
    5) You have more lifestyle choices than you probably admit to yourself....a job isnt a life, and you need to be honest about your priorities in life.
    Subjective. For some, their job is their life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Hey Folks - I am locking this topic because its gotten an explosion of abuse reports... will possibly unlock after I have had a chance to assess what is going on here. Thanks!
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    bump
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member

The OP is most definitely not my account, never even heard of the person. Also have never reported anyone because I am not a nancy that can't handle reading something "mean" on the internet. How do you know she is in better shape than me? Do you know me? You're so smart but somehow think it's me as the OP? No one is buying that you aren't dumb.
  • can everyone just stop calling people "simple minded," "morons," and junk like that. If you disagree or agree or whatever, than do that. no need for insults.

I heart you.

I wholeheartedly second this.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat.

happy dance
    http-__makeagifcom_media_12-03-2012_icFEeV1.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    If you can eat what you want and maintain a healhty weight, im confused as to why you use this site?
    To counter misinformation and help others. Oh and I still count calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Polar bears are left-handed.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I was the girl at 145# wanting to lose 10#, but I also n ow that I have to be careful with my blood sugar, similar to what you described with chronically obese (I think that is the phrase you used)people and insulin irregularities.
    I have learned that though I could eat pancakes all morning... If I have 'breads-cereals' at breakfasting am hungry and headachey and lethargic all day.
    I also have to eat every few hours, not just a snack, but something real-with protein. Intermittent Fasting works for some. It would not work for me, I know.

I also understand that for some people a simple 'calories In<calories out' works. I have done trials of 'deficit simply by eating less' and 'deficit from exercise' and I lose a lot more of my deficit is from exercise.. And also tested carbs. I lose better with high protein and lower carbs/sugars. That's how my body works I guess.

Edit- I had not read beyond the OP, but looking now, I see this has become a drama post.,but that's to be expected, I guess. Just wish I had noticed first and avoided the whole thing.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat.

happy dance

I am going to need to see a peer reviewed article signed by john hancock to believe this.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Is part 3 about some mice by chance?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat.

happy dance

QFT (and the happy dance!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat.

happy dance

I would not post that hun...I recognize a certain irate person from some creeper PMs I got a while back.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Neitzche02_zps19131664.jpg

<3 my brain crush in FTW!!!!

And I personally would rather take my advice from someone who doesn't have another 50 lbs to lose, as well.
    Regardless of whether or not his ticker reflects his progress thus far (mine doesn't) it does reflect the road as of yet untravelled.

Sarauk has abs I'd like to see on me. Perhaps I shall take my advice from her.

I personally think that going from obese to healthy really is just a function of calories in calories out. I lost 40 lbs doing just that, and running 20 mins 3x's a week *gasp!*

Perhaps a little less "one size fits all" and a wee more flexibility in your ideas and respect for different ways of being in your manner of speech would serve you well.
This discussion has been closed.