PISSED OFF!!

Options

Replies

• joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey now!! UPDATE on my bs whining yesterday...I got with my trainer this morning and he checked my Body Fat %. Turns out I LOST 2% of body fat from 2 weeks ago!!! And mysteriously 4 lbs since my weigh-in yesterday morning. I think he was more nervous than I was when I stepped on his big fancy scale...

Point is, I started this topic for help, encouragement, support, and understanding. To which I got TONS from you fabulous people. Thanks for putting up with my WHINING!! I promise to try and stay positive here on out. LET'S KEEP THESE POSTS FRIENDLY, K?? ADD me if you want...I can be encouraging too when you need me!!!
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Every time I increase my exercise intensity/amount I will gain water weight that lasts for 1-2 days. It comes off, promise! Also please go by MFP's recommendation for calorie intake. Not eating enough will, in the future, cause you to crash and can lead to you putting on more fat than muscle. And as always, drink your water!!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Hey now!! UPDATE on my bs whining yesterday...I got with my trainer this morning and he checked my Body Fat %. Turns out I LOST 2% of body fat from 2 weeks ago!!! And mysteriously 4 lbs since my weigh-in yesterday morning. I think he was more nervous than I was when I stepped on his big fancy scale...

Point is, I started this topic for help, encouragement, support, and understanding. To which I got TONS from you fabulous people. Thanks for putting up with my WHINING!! I promise to try and stay positive here on out. LET'S KEEP THESE POSTS FRIENDLY, K?? ADD me if you want...I can be encouraging too when you need me!!!

i dont want to deflate your progress but be sure to weigh in at the same times of the day or else you will notice a 5lb flux either heavier or lighter....
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Well congrats to you for losing your weight! Since you just joined this site, then your experience is not chronicled on MFP for people to see. I don't know how long it took you to lose your weight, or how many calories you were burning thru exercise. Perhaps you should write out the details of your weight loss experience and post it in the Success Stories section for others to see.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize your entire SIX MONTHS of experience on MFP has made you the Comment Police. I'll be sure to check in with you before I post next time.

My comment that you quoted here was directed at HotRodsGirl, who had said that she had lost 125 pounds. That was a sincere congratulations to her, and a sincere request for her to post her success story on here, so that others could see how she lost the weight and maybe find something that would help them lose weight themselves.

I have not directed any negative remarks at any one personally on here. I have not quoted you, nor directed any comments at you personally. My original comment was in reply to someone who shared that eating more did not work for them, and also commented that anyone who says anything that doesn't agree 100% with those who support the EM2WL plan. will get roasted on here.

I think I proved her point.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    You might actually be gaining muscle, which takes up much less space on your body than fat. Muscle also burns more calories, so don't be discouraged. Maybe you should use a tape measure rather than simply weighing yourself. Also ask yourself if you feel stronger and more energetic. Good luck!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    LOL the EMTWL group really crack me up. I just sit here and laugh and laugh and laugh.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    LOL the EMTWL group really crack me up. I just sit here and laugh and laugh and laugh.

this added nothing to the topic, only that you have a hateful reaction toward half of the MFP population.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    LMMFAO

ALSO - so many people I know in the 100+ club lost it by eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. Wait - to clarify - they lost the first 30 or so with a 1200 calorie diet and then slowly added more as they lost weight and exercised harder...

there are those who only diet
    there are those who only do cardio
    there are those who only do weight
    there are those who only do yoga and flexies
    there are those who do all the things...

Guess which people are having the most success and not having trouble maintaining it.

That "MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST OVER 100 POUNDS" line is really just like when people say "IM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE BUT" - you just know that the other side of that sentence is going to probably piss you off if the person saying it, hasnt been there.

I refused to post with most of the heavy losers here until I even past that mark, because I wasnt go to pretend I could relate.

the truth is, every single person is different and you have to find your own way.

Telling people to avoid one thing, wont help them. Itll be one thing they dont try. Why do that? what do you get out of telling someone, hey dont try this particular thing that so many people have had success with, because some people didnt have success with it.

To the OP - I know you already have a great attitude from your responses here - if someone tells you dont try something that other people have had healthy success with, dont listen to them. Try everything. Find what is awesome and special and uniquely awesome for you.

Who knows- you may be the chick that turns out to be the girl in vintage rollerskates, that does an obstacle run every summer, eat 1682 calories a day and is the only girl in the gym that can do 10 pullups in a row.

The fun is finding out.

:bigsmile:

This is a very intelligent post from someone who knows what she is talking about. She figured out what did and didn't work for her.

It was never my intent to tell the OP not to try eating more. My first post had nothing to do with the OP, and was only in response to another post made on here.

I do not encourage starvation diets.

The 'most people' comment was based on my interaction with people on here and by reading the success stories that have been posted.

What really irritates me is when so many people, NOT EVERYONE, but many of them, tell people that simply eating more will make them lose weight. You must create a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you increase your calories, then you must either increase your exercise, or lower your goal of how many pounds per week you want to lose.
    There are also many people that simply recite the RoadMap plan, and swear that it works wonders, when they themselves have lost little to no weight since they have been on the site. Even the author of the road map, lost his weight eating at a higher than 20% deficit.

I want to hear from people who have actually lost weight, and how they did it. No, no one OWES me an explanation, or their plan secrets, but if we never hear stories of it actually working for those who are obese, then how do we know that it WILL work for them?
    In theory, the plan should work, but real life doesn't always prove theories.

Yoovie, I have read your version of the road map plan and must say that it is very well written, easy to understand, and I like that it was written from your actual experience. I am amazed and impressed with your success in getting your health back together.
    I also like that you point out that your plan works for the last 30 pounds or so you have to lose. You don't tell someone that is 200 pounds overweight to do that plan.

You are correct that we are all different. You are quite a bit taller, younger, stronger, and can work out a whole lot harder and longer than I can. I have never seen you tell someone else that they should eat the same amount as you do. I can't say the same for many others on here.

To the OP- I apologize for hijacking your thread, and creating such a stir. None of my comments were directed at you.

You have received a lot of good advice on here about being patient and to keep at it. We all get frustrated at times when the weight doesn't come off as quickly as we'd like. Sounds like you have a great attitude tho, and the motivation to succeed!
  • joycebug
    Options
    LMMFAO

ALSO - so many people I know in the 100+ club lost it by eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. Wait - to clarify - they lost the first 30 or so with a 1200 calorie diet and then slowly added more as they lost weight and exercised harder...

there are those who only diet
    there are those who only do cardio
    there are those who only do weight
    there are those who only do yoga and flexies
    there are those who do all the things...

Guess which people are having the most success and not having trouble maintaining it.

That "MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST OVER 100 POUNDS" line is really just like when people say "IM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE BUT" - you just know that the other side of that sentence is going to probably piss you off if the person saying it, hasnt been there.

I refused to post with most of the heavy losers here until I even past that mark, because I wasnt go to pretend I could relate.

the truth is, every single person is different and you have to find your own way.

Telling people to avoid one thing, wont help them. Itll be one thing they dont try. Why do that? what do you get out of telling someone, hey dont try this particular thing that so many people have had success with, because some people didnt have success with it.

To the OP - I know you already have a great attitude from your responses here - if someone tells you dont try something that other people have had healthy success with, dont listen to them. Try everything. Find what is awesome and special and uniquely awesome for you.

Who knows- you may be the chick that turns out to be the girl in vintage rollerskates, that does an obstacle run every summer, eat 1682 calories a day and is the only girl in the gym that can do 10 pullups in a row.

The fun is finding out.

:bigsmile:

This is a very intelligent post from someone who knows what she is talking about. She figured out what did and didn't work for her.

It was never my intent to tell the OP not to try eating more. My first post had nothing to do with the OP, and was only in response to another post made on here.

I do not encourage starvation diets.

The 'most people' comment was based on my interaction with people on here and by reading the success stories that have been posted.

What really irritates me is when so many people, NOT EVERYONE, but many of them, tell people that simply eating more will make them lose weight. You must create a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you increase your calories, then you must either increase your exercise, or lower your goal of how many pounds per week you want to lose.
    There are also many people that simply recite the RoadMap plan, and swear that it works wonders, when they themselves have lost little to no weight since they have been on the site. Even the author of the road map, lost his weight eating at a higher than 20% deficit.

I want to hear from people who have actually lost weight, and how they did it. No, no one OWES me an explanation, or their plan secrets, but if we never hear stories of it actually working for those who are obese, then how do we know that it WILL work for them?
    In theory, the plan should work, but real life doesn't always prove theories.

Yoovie, I have read your version of the road map plan and must say that it is very well written, easy to understand, and I like that it was written from your actual experience. I am amazed and impressed with your success in getting your health back together.
    I also like that you point out that your plan works for the last 30 pounds or so you have to lose. You don't tell someone that is 200 pounds overweight to do that plan.

You are correct that we are all different. You are quite a bit taller, younger, stronger, and can work out a whole lot harder and longer than I can. I have never seen you tell someone else that they should eat the same amount as you do. I can't say the same for many others on here.

To the OP- I apologize for hijacking your thread, and creating such a stir. None of my comments were directed at you.

You have received a lot of good advice on here about being patient and to keep at it. We all get frustrated at times when the weight doesn't come off as quickly as we'd like. Sounds like you have a great attitude tho, and the motivation to succeed!

Hey DebbieLynn...no worries!!! Keep it real and never listen to haters!!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    jesus christ, i spend spend time writing a compliment to the OP and she calls me a hater. fantastic. especially considering we've exchanged communication before.

and you have to take into consideration that too many people are already eating at a deficit that is FAR TOO BIG, so yeah - they need to eat more to lose weight. If you arent giving your car enough gas for work - you may get there on fumes, but youre not making the engine do any better. Youre hurting it.

my rule of thumb - dont tell anyone to eat more or less unless you actually know 1. how much they actually consume daily (not what they tell you they consume and 2. how much they actually burn on the daily (not how much they tell you they burn...

see what I mean?

What if a newcomer assumed she was eating about 1300 calories a day, but she got some brands wrong, several portions weren't whole servings, etc and it turns out she was only eating about 1100 calories a day. Now, what if she doesnt have an HRM or something and she just uses the estimations on MFP and she has been working out like CRAZYYYY lately and maybe even fudging a little bit of her weight while tracking - so she gets underestimations about how much she burns working out, AND she doesnt even track the mile and a half she walks to and from work twice a day.

So now she is probably taking in about 1100 calories a day and burning off another 500 calories - leaving her at about

600 calories for the day, net.

And she gets frustrated, and comes to MFP and says why am I not losing weight - and A MILLION PEOPLE tell her to eat less and move more.

and all the rest of us want to cry- cause we know she'll listen to them and not us.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options

and all the rest of us want to cry- cause we know she'll listen to them and not us.

YES!
  • yoovie
    Options
    fin

i fraking hate when people bold the wrong *kitten* parts of my paragraphs.
  • joycebug
    Options
    jesus christ, i spend spend time writing a compliment to the OP and she calls me a hater. fantastic. especially considering we've exchanged communication before.

and you have to take into consideration that too many people are already eating at a deficit that is FAR TOO BIG, so yeah - they need to eat more to lose weight. If you arent giving your car enough gas for work - you may get there on fumes, but youre not making the engine do any better. Youre hurting it.

my rule of thumb - dont tell anyone to eat more or less unless you actually know 1. how much they actually consume daily (not what they tell you they consume and 2. how much they actually burn on the daily (not how much they tell you they burn...

see what I mean?

What if a newcomer assumed she was eating about 1300 calories a day, but she got some brands wrong, several portions weren't whole servings, etc and it turns out she was only eating about 1100 calories a day. Now, what if she doesnt have an HRM or something and she just uses the estimations on MFP and she has been working out like CRAZYYYY lately and maybe even fudging a little bit of her weight while tracking - so she gets underestimations about how much she burns working out, AND she doesnt even track the mile and a half she walks to and from work twice a day.

So now she is probably taking in about 1100 calories a day and burning off another 500 calories - leaving her at about

600 calories for the day, net.

And she gets frustrated, and comes to MFP and says why am I not losing weight - and A MILLION PEOPLE tell her to eat less and move more.

Yoovie...not calling YOU a hater specifically. Just wanted to raise her spirits and tell her not to let anyone get her down in general. I appreciate your words of wisdom. I take in all I hear and read, and decide logically and methodically what I will do. Like I said, I posted to get support and encouragement.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Okay, well, to be fair, I told her to eat more because she said she was eating 1100 calories and working out like crazy. It doesn't take a road map or MFP math or a fairy with a wishbone to figure out that's not enough. I didn't say, "Eat 1800 calories per day." I just said, "You aren't eating enough."
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I gotta support what this guy said. Eating more does not work for me. I have tried it and gave it time, Believe me! What works for me is high protein, and reducing calories. Sucks but it works.
    The one thing I hate about MFP is that I am not allowed to say this. If you say anything to contradict EM2WL you get your head handed to you on a platter.
    Let the roasting commence....

I completely agree with you here. Some people can eat more, and some cannot. If you look at the people who have lost 100 pounds or more on here, they did NOT lose it by eating more. I follow results. 90% of the people that keep giving the 'eat more' advice either, lost their weight by eating less, but now say they did it the 'wrong' way and you should do it the 'right' way, or they have just started, have lost 1 pound, and swear that the pounds are 'falling off' and it is working and you should do it too!

I am not supporting starving yourself, but I really wish that people would not give others advice that they need to eat more, simply because they read it on the forums that that is the way you should be doing it.

If it really has worked for you long term, then tell your story with details of how exactly you did it.

If you have been on here for 2 weeks, then you do not have enough life experience to be giving out advice. You don't know what works for you yet, so don't just recycle advice you have read from others on here.

If you have had WLS and lost a ton of weight eating 500-800 cals, do not tell people they need to eat more.

There, now I can share some of your roasting!

Lol! I lost over 125lbs by eating more (1700to1800 a day). I don't know if you are just reading what you want to read but there are a lot of people who eat more and lost massive amounts.

Well congrats to you for losing your weight! Since you just joined this site, then your experience is not chronicled on MFP for people to see. I don't know how long it took you to lose your weight, or how many calories you were burning thru exercise. Perhaps you should write out the details of your weight loss experience and post it in the Success Stories section for others to see.

Over the 6 months I have been on here, I have actively looked for people who have lost a lot of weight, to see exactly how they did it. Many of them are now on my friends list. How many cals you need to lose depends on many factors, and we all have different maintenance levels. I am sure that there are people who have lost weight eating in the range that you have, as they are younger, taller, or more active than others who have lost eating less. But as for my experience of reading success stories on here, the majority of them have lost their weight by creating at least a 1000 calorie deficit per day, at least during the early months when they had so much to lose. In theory, someone could eventually lose 100 pounds by eating at a 200 calorie deficit, but it would take a LONG time to do it, and I haven't read about anyone on here doing that.

Perhaps I should have said, "If you look at the MAJORITY of people who have lost 100 pounds or more..".

I have actually been a member here for two years. I have posted my story and pics so... I really don't feel the need to do it again.
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You'll lose it... Relax. I lost a majority of my weight just by not eating all my calories burned back and only doing so every other workout.

You having a HUGE calorie burn session is greta but you need to still be over 1200 in a day calorie wise. I read that a person's body naturally uses 1200 in a day so that's why it's the lowest you can go with/without working out.

GL and hang in there
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You'll lose it... Relax. I lost a majority of my weight just by not eating all my calories burned back and only doing so every other workout.

You having a HUGE calorie burn session is greta but you need to still be over 1200 in a day calorie wise. I read that a person's body naturally uses 1200 in a day so that's why it's the lowest you can go with/without working out.

GL and hang in there

great... ooops spelling
  • sabrinalindsay88
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat!! If you're going to the gym a lot you've probs gained muscle. Try measuring your hips, waist and thighs every couple of weeks you'll more than likely find you're losing inches even if you're not losing weight :)
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you have been on here for 2 weeks, then you do not have enough life experience to be giving out advice. You don't know what works for you yet, so don't just recycle advice you have read from others on here.

LOL!!!! time spent on MFP calculated into your life experience points??? HAHAHAHAHAHA

MUST WASTE X AMOUNT OF TIME ON INTERWEBS lololollergasm

tumblr_mg6stem2sR1qb1g04o7_r1_250.gif

Exactly what i was thinking and love the Starbuck gif!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been busting my you know what since I joined the gym almost 2 weeks ago. The first week, I lost 1.5 lbs. I weighed in this morning, and I'm up 2 lbs. I've been working out like a crazy person, doing cardio and strength training. I'm supposed to be eating 1400 calories (loading up on protein and limiting carbs) but I'm barely getting 1000-1100. Yesterday I did eat 1657 but worked off 526 with a net of 1131. What the hell am I doing wrong????? I seriously wanted to cry this morning...

You must eat your workout calories if you want to keep losing the weight! if you do not eat them you are putting your body into starvation mode. you will not lose this way. I know it sounds counter intuitive but it works, just up your calories and you will see the weight start coming off again!