DUMBEST thing you ever believed

Options

Replies

• GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My former roommate in college was convinced if she "jiggled the cord, it made the internet go faster." Nevermind the fact we were on a T1 connection and she was jiggling the monitor cable ... but it made her feel better.

My boyfriend (now husband) went along with it ... said, "well, yeah ... because all data is binary, which means it's all ones and zeros. Those zeroes, they can slide right through the port, but sometimes those ones get turned sideways and get stuck, so you have to jiggle it so they get turned the right way so they will go through."

Her eyes were wide as saucers, "Really?"

At this point he and I were both doing everything we could not to bust out laughing.
    Lol this is the most wonderful thing I've read . Ever.
  • jc2103
    jc2103 Posts: 11
    Options
    That taotaomonas would get me if I climbed their trees.

... most of the local kids believed it too, though. It was their version of the boogieman.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That all "little people" were Munchkins from Oz.

I saw my first little person in a department store when I was 4 and I was so excited that I followed them around, yelling to my mom, "Mommy! There's a Munchkin!! There's a Munchkin!!"
    lmao at this,
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    "Everyone is doing it" :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note though, I went to a wedding when I was little and saw the bride walk up and all the guys standing there at the front in their tuxes, and I thought she just got her dress, walked up and then picked the one she liked best to marry... made sense to me!!

:heart: :happy: :heart:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    When I was REALLY little (like 4 or 5) I thought that the people who were waving behind Matt & Katie on the Today Show could see me through the TV and that's why they were waving. Used to scare the *kitten* out of me.

Another one- My grandparents had a permanent camp site next to the rec hall at their campground and there was a meter on the side of the building with a little red light on it at night. They made up a huge elaborate story about a murderer named Red Eye who killed little children at night if they went too close to the rec hall.... Yeah, they didn't have to worry about us leaving the camp site after dark....
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If I swallowed a watermelon seed then one would grow in my belly SMH!!!!!!!!!!!
    I used to think this about any fruit! Apples and cherries especially :noway:
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My childrens father told me that Jack rabbits existed and I believed him up until a few years ago when we were talking about said jack rabbits. He burst out laughing after he saw the very confused look on my face and said "Ddn't I tell you that I was joking with you?" For 10 years I believed the darn things were real!

Jackrabbits do exist ... http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/jackrabbit/

Unless he was talking about magical ones or sumthin ...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    FOR THE WIN:

True story: Before space shuttle, was watching old NASA rocket footage and asked my Dad why the tower fell after the rocket took off. He said, without ANY hesitation or thought, "It keeps the Earth in place, otherwise, it'd fly up behind the rocket!" :noway: I was a pre-schooler but knew enough about gravity that I'm still ashamed that I accepted it without question. :huh: I still wonder whether he actually believed that or just said something to stop my onslaught of questions that day.:grumble: I'm just glad I didn't go to school saying that isht! :tongue:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    That size doesn't matter
    Not everyone wants one the size of a forearm. :noway:

but you don't want one the size of your thumb either...ask me how I know!

Size only matters if *something* is way too big, or way too small
    This is SO true...I love when people use the "motion of the ocean' comment.... nobody wants to goes out into the ocean in a tiny dingy!
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    That cats butts don't smell. :wink:

so how did you prove that one wrong?

jus curious

Oh you know, my friends had a cat butt held to my face. It does indeed stink. Whats even worse is that we pulled that on a few others, including my siblings, and one of our cats actually farted in their faces! :laugh:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    That size doesn't matter

one what?
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Religion

True Story

(OOps this probably isn't that kinda thread)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I once cried at the store because my mom was buying Aunt Jemima Syrup. I was scared that the bottle would come to life on our table and start talking just like it did on the tv commercials.

Aw. Poor kid. :frown:

I believed there was a werewolf living under our basement stairs, so I ran up and down them super fast so he couldn't grab my feet. Open backed stairs :noway: terrifying.

Also, if you swallowed bubblegum, your bum would stick shut and you wouldn't be able to poop. Thanks, Grandpa.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    :huh: That after 27 years of marriage, finally owning your house on the lake, that you had finally made it and would live happily ever after!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That you could place an order with the weatherman and he could take care of it for you. I was convinced my Grandparents ordered snow for Christmas each year. Why else would they get it and we didn't? The news reports were just the weathermen letting us all know what they were up to. If you asked nicely or paid enough, they could change it for you.

It probably didn't help that I was a gullible child and my family played along. Heck my folks were the type to leave half chewed carrots around the yard for Easter and for Christmas they got soot on the cookie plate and crumbs in the fireplace. :flowerforyou:
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Also, when I was very young, I didn't yet get the fact that elevators go up & down. Whenever we went into a department store and rode in one, I used to wonder how the heck they changed everything around so fast.
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, my aunt had me convinced that if I swallowed my gum it would stick to my ribs.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I was 4, I believed that you could grow corn plants from the canned corn on your plate.
    I believed this for years after that because my father transplanted a corn plant from a neighbor's farm to our yard after I insisted that I should plant the corn from my plate.

This is a true story and here is a picture to prove it.

27739717_7970.jpg
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    That size doesn't matter

Wait so I'm not meant to put my forearm there?
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    "Everyone is doing it" :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note though, I went to a wedding when I was little and saw the bride walk up and all the guys standing there at the front in their tuxes, and I thought she just got her dress, walked up and then picked the one she liked best to marry... made sense to me!!

If it only worked that way lol