While we're at it... STOP hating on Pop Tarts

Options

Replies

• StepOfFaith
    StepOfFaith Posts: 17
    Options
    Three words, since you asked... High Frucose Corn Syrup. Derived from GMO corn. HFC is one of the biggest offenders causing Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. :indifferent:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    well they are full of sugar
    they are empty caleries
    they are pure JUNK

Is this even in English?! These things have over 50 different ingredients and I am pretty sure nothing in them is of nutritional value to our bodies. (That is a red flag right there—if there are more ingredients in your product than you can even pronounce, chances are it is not good for you! )

Kellogg’s claims they are “a good source of 7 essential vitamins and minerals”. That just makes me laugh out loud! Where are these hidden? Underneath the high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and vegetable oil? Please do not believe that you are getting anything other than a sugar rush from this product.

Here is the nutritional breakdown of one Pop-Tart. (not one pouch, but one tart!)

Nutrition Facts

Calories: 200.0 | Calories from fat: 45.0

Fat

g

Cholesterol

mg

Saturated fat

g

Sodium

mg

Carbohydrate

g

Sugar

g

Dietary fiber

g

Protein

g

So again, all I see is sugar and sodium with a sprinkling of protein. Not exactly the breakfast of champions, is it?

Mine are already in the trash….how about yours?

200 calories, 14g's of sugar and 220 mg of sodium is hardly a lot or "loaded". I don't eat them for breakfast. There's nothing wrong with sugar or vegetable oil. What was your point again?

Anything over 5% per serving is considered a "good source" by the FDA so they're allowed to put that on the box. Nutrients are listed right there:
    PoptartNutri_zpsff1ce8c0.jpg

Mine are most certainly not in the trash:

2cd19a55-0fb5-4b02-aeb8-5989202f3e6e_zps0e002baf.jpg

1e5d25f4-0dbd-426e-9019-d360b129083f_zps9caf145c.jpg
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It begs to be brought up again....

mother-teresa-grilled-cheese.jpg
  • StepOfFaith
    StepOfFaith Posts: 17
    Options
    Pop tarts are the most nutrient void products on the market.Please do some research. If you honestly think they are ok to eat, your in for a surprise.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Three words, since you asked... High Frucose Corn Syrup. Derived from GMO corn. HFC is one of the biggest offenders causing Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. :indifferent:

Complete nonsense.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    To follow my ice cream hating topic: Why all the hate for Pop Tarts? I'd love to hear why I shouldn't be eating two a day. My diary's open.

-M

I used to love pop tarts when I was younger. The strawberry ones with icing were my favorite. We would only get those occasionally. We just got them a little while ago, a few boxes, and they were still so good out of the toaster.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    Pop Tarts aren't the enemy.

Nutella is the enemy.

I stopped having nutella after I tasted it and it tasted like actual fancy chocolate with hazelnuts. That is a good thing but it is not far from having the actual chocolate. I guess I would rather have the chocolate than a chocolate spread.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are the most nutrient void products on the market.Please do some research. If you honestly think they are ok to eat, your in for a surprise.

but...but I already ate one. Am I gonna die?????? I'm going to die, aren't I?????

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Kellogg’s claims they are “a good source of 7 essential vitamins and minerals”. That just makes me laugh out loud! Where are these hidden? Underneath the high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and vegetable oil? Please do not believe that you are getting anything other than a sugar rush from this product.

That's the whole point. :bigsmile:

Mine are already in the trash….how about yours?

I just bought two more boxes.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    It's because toaster strudels are better.

My dad used to get these occasionally for himself. I had a few and can't really remember what I thought of them.

I can't believe some people like poptarts without the frosting. The crust and the frosting are my favorite parts.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I can't believe some people like poptarts without the frosting.

My brother does. Freak. :wink:
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    they are yummy but I think I could eat the entire box and still be starving plus they are empty calories (and way too many to not even be filling) but I will admit that every fall I buy several boxes of Pumpkin Pie flavor.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are gross
    I wouldn't eat one if it was the only man made food left in the world.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Nutella is the enemy.

I stopped having nutella after I tasted it and it tasted like actual fancy chocolate with hazelnuts. That is a good thing but it is not far from having the actual chocolate. I guess I would rather have the chocolate than a chocolate spread.
    but you can't spread chocolate on strawberries or bananas or toast or a spoon, okay I am making myself hungry i need nutella
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    They are one of my guilty pleasuers.

I use them as pure sugar. I prefer the Brown Sugar Cinnamon flavor.

The key is that I don't eat them that often and usually just before I'm going to be burning a lot of calories like on my long runs. I try to eat something nutriant-rich after the run.
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    They just don't taste good in the UK :( we really only have strawberry and chocolate ones, and they're very dry/ not moist like American ones! When I go on holiday to the US I must eat my own weight in pop tarts... hot fudge sundae flavour nommmmm. :)
  • fightingthefood
    Options

Nutella is the enemy.

Pop Tarts don't do a thing for me. Now homemade Nutella cookies right out of the oven with ice cold 100% whole milk will get me every time.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    My theory about people who LOVE poptarts is that no one in their life made scrumptious flaky pie crust with numerous delicious fillings......I'd never waste 400 calories on 2 dry cardboard pies when I could have a slice of sweet/tart homemade cherry pie! Poptarts just don't measure up!

True. My dad loves pie but my mom rarely makes it so we never had it much growing up. Usually we had pie around holidays.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options

but...but I already ate one. Am I gonna die?????? I'm going to die, aren't I?????

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

I love this gif so much. I will use this with complete abandon on all my social media outlets just because. THE SKY IS FALLING !!!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I eat them and recently discovered the peanut butter ones they are amazing hope they stand around for awhile. Yummmmm

Where did you find them?! I've been looking for those, and the chocolate peanut butter ones with no luck! :sad:

WalMart actually just happen to see them .Lucky me :) I love them I haven't seen the peanut butter chocolate though odd.