While we're at it... STOP hating on Pop Tarts

Options

Replies

• carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    They're gross, IMO. I don't see where all the love is coming from.

If I'm going to pig out, I'm going to do it right. And that is with a bag of doritos, cheetos, or funnyons—the three basic parts of a frito-lay nutritional meal.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a pop tart in years! but because of this thread I think I will change that tomorrow... peanut butter, red velvet, AND cookies and cream flavour? yes please
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daughter introduced me to the cookie dough flavor.

If I get fat again it's her fault.

LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh ;) I have to admit though, there are some that are AMAZING...Like the Chocolate chip ones, or if you toast the Cherry ones...*drool*
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have to find the peanut butter ones NOW! Seriously though, I love pop tarts!!!! S'mores are my favorite and yes I eat both of them.
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i read this post three months ago and still have not found the red velvet ones!!! Cookies and cream are still my favorites and I just ate two this morning and was feeling guilty til I saw this post again and realized I just got 4 grams of protein from them! whoot!
  • StepOfFaith
    StepOfFaith Posts: 17
    Options
    Four words, since you asked... High Frucose Corn Syrup. Derived from GMO corn. HFC is one of the biggest offenders causing Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. :indifferent:

Complete nonsense.

Sugar makes you stupid: Study shows high-fructose diet sabotages learning, memory
    May 15, 2012 in Health

Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

Ads by Google

High Fructose Corn Syrup - Recent Study Flawed. Get All The Facts On High Fructose Corn Syrup. - www.SweetSurprise.com

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain.

The UCLA team zeroed in on high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid six times sweeter than cane sugar, that is commonly added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes more than 40 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"We're not talking about naturally occurring fructose in fruits, which also contain important antioxidants," explained Gomez-Pinilla, who is also a member of UCLA's Brain Research Institute and Brain Injury Research Center. "We're concerned about high-fructose corn syrup that is added to manufactured food products as a sweetener and preservative."

Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    just popping in to say magerum is my homey
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sersly, pop tarts need love too.

20100606poptarticecream1-thumb-500x375-93385.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    To follow my ice cream hating topic: Why all the hate for Pop Tarts? I'd love to hear why I shouldn't be eating two a day. My diary's open.

-M

Because they are full of trans fats.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    They are full of chemicals, GMO ingredients, and general crap. Why would you want to put that into your body when there are so many better things for you that are just as delicious and satisfying. I had some fresh organic berries this morning from a local farm that were better than any Pop-Tart could ever dream of being.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    They are full of chemicals, GMO ingredients, and general crap. Why would you want to put that into your body when there are so many better things for you that are just as delicious and satisfying. I had some fresh organic berries this morning from a local farm that were better than any Pop-Tart could ever dream of being.
    Fresh organic berries totally clog up my toaster.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    red velvet poptarts?? Oh my ... might have to buy some of those...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Do people still eat those? Yuck! If you like your cardboard with frosting on top, I guess there is no harm. But, Gross! If you're going to eat junk food, eat something that actually has some flavor.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that some foods are just not worth the high calorie counts. 500 calories for 2 big cookies? FORGET IT. I'd rather eat two to three other types of food to reach that number: like fruit, popcorn, etc.

Pop Tarts are one of those foods I think isn't worth the calorie count. If you eat two of them, and are still hungry, then what good are they if they aren't filling you up?

If I'm going to eat 500 cals, I want it to keep me from getting hungry again until it's time to eat again.

Meh.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Meh they are OK now give me a fluffy cream filled buttery pastry and will talk.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    To follow my ice cream hating topic: Why all the hate for Pop Tarts? I'd love to hear why I shouldn't be eating two a day. My diary's open.

-M

Because they are full of trans fats.

So 0 grams trans fat is full of trans fat?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that some foods are just not worth the high calorie counts. 500 calories for 2 big cookies? FORGET IT. I'd rather eat two to three other types of food to reach that number: like fruit, popcorn, etc.

Pop Tarts are one of those foods I think isn't worth the calorie count. If you eat two of them, and are still hungry, then what good are they if they aren't filling you up?

If I'm going to eat 500 cals, I want it to keep me from getting hungry again until it's time to eat again.

Meh.

Different needs. 500 calories is about 1/3 of my evening snack. I don't eat them for satiation.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't find them very yummy.
    Also the selection I have near me is only the basics. Nothing extraordinary.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They just don't do anything for me and use up too many cals... I'm hungry after I eat them

I don't think anyone should cut anything out of their diet if it's something they enjoy, as long as they fit into your cals

Pop Tarts are never going to fit into my healthy daily diet or calories... and I'm OK with that. I think in terms of "Everything in moderation, including moderation." Sometimes stuff doesn't fit and you eat it anyway!

'Everything in moderation, including moderation' - great quote! I'll (try to) remember that one. :)

I want a Pop Tart now.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    They just don't taste good in the UK :( we really only have strawberry and chocolate ones, and they're very dry/ not moist like American ones! When I go on holiday to the US I must eat my own weight in pop tarts... hot fudge sundae flavour nommmmm. :)
    ^^^ Same where I live.