While we're at it... STOP hating on Pop Tarts

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sure, they taste good and all, but now a days I just don't find them all that appealing. And have you seen that ingredients list? I look at that and say, "What the heck am I putting into my body?" Sugar, sugar, sugar. Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather not suffer through the guilt trip. And knowing that the serving size is smaller than what is in a package... that just makes me angry. How am I only supposed to eat one pop tart if the package has two?! Not worth the calories, and it just makes me hungrier. But hey, everyone has their guilty pleasures, pop tarts just aren't my thing.

Sugar, sugar, sugar? Average pop tart has 15 g of sugar.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    IMG_2049.JPG
    Now with peanut butter! Peanut butter has protein in it, right? Hooray, science!
  • magerum
    Options
    Four words, since you asked... High Frucose Corn Syrup. Derived from GMO corn. HFC is one of the biggest offenders causing Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. :indifferent:

Complete nonsense.

Sugar makes you stupid: Study shows high-fructose diet sabotages learning, memory
    May 15, 2012 in Health

Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

Ads by Google

High Fructose Corn Syrup - Recent Study Flawed. Get All The Facts On High Fructose Corn Syrup. - www.SweetSurprise.com

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain.

The UCLA team zeroed in on high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid six times sweeter than cane sugar, that is commonly added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes more than 40 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"We're not talking about naturally occurring fructose in fruits, which also contain important antioxidants," explained Gomez-Pinilla, who is also a member of UCLA's Brain Research Institute and Brain Injury Research Center. "We're concerned about high-fructose corn syrup that is added to manufactured food products as a sweetener and preservative."

Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning.

Some recent 2012/2013 studies:

HFCS not linked to fatty liver disease

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2012-0322#.UaPWA5G9KSN

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/y2012-122#.UaPW95G9KSM

"Recent research indicates an association between brain dysfunction and the pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome. To investigate this, we created a Medline search (up to December 2011) of articles in PubMed. The results indicated that refined carbohydrates, saturated and total fat, high levels of ω-6 fatty acids, and low levels of ω-3 fatty acids and other long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), all in conjunction with sedentary behaviour and mental stress can predispose to inflammation...."

Not just the consumption of HFCS leads to the conclusions the translation of the UCLA study you posted. It's a rat study. Also, this assumes the lack of omega-3's.

Www.sweetsurprise.com, your source, is a pro HFCS site by the way. Your study was posted in front of many studies that dispute it and generally prove it wrong. You should vet your sources.

http://sweetsurprise.com/hfcs-science-and-research

It is also important to note that the UCLA news release was corrected to clarify that this study was on fructose, not high fructose corn syrup. With that said, you will see the response that sweetener expert John S. White, Ph.D. notes that for the levels of fructose that were used in this study, “A consumer would have to eat 66 apples or drink 51 cans of soda per day to reach that level…”

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx

Again, you should really look into your sources. It doesn't help your intended message otherwise.
  • cheyennekl
    cheyennekl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mmm ....Smores and Chocolate Fudge poptarts.... I bought boxes of them in the States to bring home with me!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So I got the peanut butter poptarts today.

Gross. They were dissappointingly gross. Bummer.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    LOL. I can't believe there is a thread dedicated to Pop-Tarts! Well, like I said before, those things are gross to me, I ate them like 18 years ago, but have since found that now they just taste like dried up sugar coated cardboard.

Don't get me wrong, I love sweets, but I choose to use 500 calories on other things. My personal guilty pleasure are Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups, they are about 200 cal for three delicious cups. I usually enjoy those for my evening treat.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I will never ever stop hating on Pop Tarts. I find them gross. But, if someone likes them they can have all they want as long as they aren't trying to make me eat them. That is all.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I hate pop-tarts. I don't care if you eat them :p but personally I think they're gross. I prefer pastries or turnover or even toaster strudels if I'm having dessert for breakfast ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

dissapointed :(

Saves me getting someone from the US to send em to me though.

Pop tarts and PB sandwich is pre-workout food of champions. I believe there are pubmed studies proving this...somewhere.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I just don't like pop tarts. I can hate if I want to!
  • magerum
    Options

Pop tarts and PB sandwich is pre-workout food of champions. I believe there are pubmed studies proving this...somewhere.

I found the peanut butter as well as the peanut butter & chocolate pop tarts this weekend. They weren't gross. They were ok, I just hoped for more. Red Velvet is still the best.
  • HeatherRyann
    HeatherRyann Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Red Velvet Pop Tarts? I saw them at the store the other day and I'm wondering if they're worth a damn. How about Confetti Cake? Pumpkin Pie?

Red Velvet awesome, Confetti not that great, haven't had pumpkin. They recently brought back peanut butter ones from the 80's. Been looking for them.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Now I want some cherry or blueberry pop tarts....damnit.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My favorites are, and always have been, the chocolate ones! I've had so many of the fruit flavored and brown sugar cinnamon flavored that they make me sick now, but chocolate rocks.
  • HeatherRyann
    HeatherRyann Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I found the peanut butter as well as the peanut butter & chocolate pop tarts this weekend. They weren't gross. They were ok, I just hoped for more. Red Velvet is still the best.

Aww we were posting at the same time...bummer they weren't very good. But prob for the best. Now I won't be as tempted.
  • jenn_zimm
    jenn_zimm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hadn't had a pop tart in FOREVER...and then i read this thread at work. got home and immediately had 2 brown sugar-cinnamon ones. so worth it!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat a real pastry than pop tarts.

Im sure eventually I will crave it and eat it
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat a real pastry than pop tarts.

I would too.

But I still like Pop Tarts anyway.

No point whatsoever in cutting either from my diet. If I want it...I can make it fit my calories and macros...Ima gonna eat it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I'm going to go to Target sometime this week. I still have to try these. For research. :bigsmile:
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Something to think about................

Mom has her son arrested for taking her poptarts.......

http://nation.foxnews.com/son-arrested-stealing-moms-pop-tarts/2013/05/26/mother-has-son-arrested-stealing-her-pop-tarts