Why should I go VEGAN??

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    To the OP who asked, "Why should I go VEGAN??"

I looked back at my MFP diary for the nutrients it tracks for some simple comparison between now, eating a whole foods plant based diet, vs. last summer. Last summer I was bike riding 120 miles per week at least, between commuting, mountain bike trail riding and downhill lift-served competitive riding. I was eating one day vegitarian (lacto-ovo).

These are the best weekly numbers from a 7 week period where I didn't miss a day logging my food. To reiterate, these are weekly totals, the best of the 7 weeks. The averages were lower. The worst case lower still.

Saturated Fat 97 grams
    Cholesterol 776 milligrams
    Potassium 11,394 milligrams
    Dietary Fiber 192 grams
    Vitamin A 106%
    Vitamin C 216%
    Calcium 98%
    Iron 73%

Last week I logged the week, and I ate whole foods plant based, no oil, no cheese, no meat, no dairy.

Satuated Fat 37 grams
    Cholesterol 20 milligrams
    Potassium 17,242 milligrams
    Dietary Fiber 454 grams
    Vitamin A 186%
    Vitamin C 483%
    Calcium 108%
    Iron 137%

The switch from calorie dense foods from the Standard American Diet to nutrient dense foods in this diet is in the numbers. And by the way, calories are roughly the same, maybe more net calories this time of year because I'm not riding my bike, I'm backcountry skiing so I don't get out as much.
    LOL. I consume animal protein, mostly fish and eggs and a lot of veg and my numbers are higher on a percentage basis across the board. I would imagine your next statement will be that your saturated fat and cholesterol is lower......that's nice.

Really! What's you secret? How are you doing it seriously? I compared last summer till now. I ate nothing but lean meat, lot's of veggies, low cooking oil, etc.

My net calorie count last week was 1,800-ish.

I would love to know how your percentage fiber is better than mine. What about your vitamins?

One explanation is that I do drink alcohol... Empty calories, no nutrients. Do you drink any alcohol? Maybe that's your secret...

And yeah my cholesterol is lower, and yeah its cool you don't think anything of that. How old are you? Hopefully you can stay bullet proof indefinitely. Good luck with that.
    There's lots of use weird omnivores out there that consume copious amounts of fruit, veg, nuts ,seeds, legumes etc on a daily basis, I know that's hard to believe, but true nevertheless. You might ask yourself why there's no RDA for cholesterol in Canada, and if you want to talk cholesterol, we can do that.....sugar and refined carbs are the foods that lower cholesterol the most and their vegan, and because they lower our cholesterol, they must be good for us, sounds legit.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    To the OP who asked, "Why should I go VEGAN??"

I looked back at my MFP diary for the nutrients it tracks for some simple comparison between now, eating a whole foods plant based diet, vs. last summer. Last summer I was bike riding 120 miles per week at least, between commuting, mountain bike trail riding and downhill lift-served competitive riding. I was eating one day vegitarian (lacto-ovo).

These are the best weekly numbers from a 7 week period where I didn't miss a day logging my food. To reiterate, these are weekly totals, the best of the 7 weeks. The averages were lower. The worst case lower still.

Saturated Fat 97 grams
    Cholesterol 776 milligrams
    Potassium 11,394 milligrams
    Dietary Fiber 192 grams
    Vitamin A 106%
    Vitamin C 216%
    Calcium 98%
    Iron 73%

Last week I logged the week, and I ate whole foods plant based, no oil, no cheese, no meat, no dairy.

Satuated Fat 37 grams
    Cholesterol 20 milligrams
    Potassium 17,242 milligrams
    Dietary Fiber 454 grams
    Vitamin A 186%
    Vitamin C 483%
    Calcium 108%
    Iron 137%

The switch from calorie dense foods from the Standard American Diet to nutrient dense foods in this diet is in the numbers. And by the way, calories are roughly the same, maybe more net calories this time of year because I'm not riding my bike, I'm backcountry skiing so I don't get out as much.
    LOL. I consume animal protein, mostly fish and eggs and a lot of veg and my numbers are higher on a percentage basis across the board. I would imagine your next statement will be that your saturated fat and cholesterol is lower......that's nice.

Really! What's you secret? How are you doing it seriously? I compared last summer till now. I ate nothing but lean meat, lot's of veggies, low cooking oil, etc.

My net calorie count last week was 1,800-ish.

I would love to know how your percentage fiber is better than mine. What about your vitamins?

One explanation is that I do drink alcohol... Empty calories, no nutrients. Do you drink any alcohol? Maybe that's your secret...

And yeah my cholesterol is lower, and yeah its cool you don't think anything of that. How old are you? Hopefully you can stay bullet proof indefinitely. Good luck with that.
    There's lots of use weird omnivores out there that consume copious amounts of fruit, veg, nuts ,seeds, legumes etc on a daily basis, I know that's hard to believe, but true nevertheless.

Yeah show me your numbers. Of course you "consume copious amounts of fruit, veg, nuts ,seeds, legumes etc on a daily basis", I don't doubt it. So if you're doing all that AND eating how much animal product, how's your net calories. Put your numbers where your mouth is.
  • Wade406
    Options
    See the problem is I'm an analyst by profession. See the spreadsheet won't add up. Sorry.

To make calories with a animal based diet you will get less fiber, less vitamins without a supplement. The math won't work.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    See the problem is I'm an analyst by profession. See the spreadsheet won't add up. Sorry.

To make calories with a animal based diet you will get less fiber, less vitamins without a supplement. The math won't work.
    Let see, if I'm consuming the same amount of plant material as you do then I'm getting the same, but I consume more calories than you and if I'm eating animal products I'm getting more vitamins and minerals. Just to clarify I'm not against a plant based diet just against the dogma and righteous attitudes that some seem to project.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Let see, if I'm consuming the same amount of plant material as you do then I'm getting the same, but I consume more calories than you and if I'm eating animal products I'm getting more vitamins and minerals. Just to clarify I'm not against a plant based diet just against the dogma and righteous attitudes that some seem to project.

You're projecting an equally righteous attitude.
  • Wade406
    Options

So which vitamins and minerals are you getting from which beef chicken and fish?

I'm not against animal diets per se. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the math. I may not stay vegan. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the nutrients I'm getting now, stay within my net calories for my TDEE, within my activity levels, accommodate my workout regimen, my cycling and fitness goals, and my backcountry skiing schedule, at my age. 54 by the way.

I want to know what has to give to enjoy that steak I gave up. Because I'm at my calorie level. Tell me what I should cut, and what my gains are. Which vitamins and minerals will I gain by eating the meat and/or dairy?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted this on another discussion I have read talking about going Vegan so as to not use anything made from an animal. With everything that is made from animals you really can NOT live your life without using things made from animals.
    144417d1359076607-vegans-who-ride-question-no-such-thing-as-a-vegan.jpg

And I am an animal lover. I have/had birds, dogs, horses, bunnies, fish, and I am a dog groomer.
  • neanderthin
    Options

You're projecting an equally righteous attitude.
    Where did I say that a vegan diet was a bad thing?
  • neanderthin
    Options

So which vitamins and minerals are you getting from which beef chicken and fish?

I'm not against animal diets per se. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the math. I may not stay vegan. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the nutrients I'm getting now, stay within my net calories for my TDEE, within my activity levels, accommodate my workout regimen, my cycling and fitness goals, and my backcountry skiing schedule, at my age. 54 by the way.

I want to know what has to give to enjoy that steak I gave up. Because I'm at my calorie level. Tell me what I should cut, and what my gains are. Which vitamins and minerals will I gain by eating the meat and/or dairy?
    Your the analyst you figure it out. Nutritiondata is a good place to start.
  • Wade406
    Options

Ya did it already. The only thing I gain from animal products is protein, fat, saturated fat. I lose fiber, Vitamin A, C, iron, and calcium.

So if I'm not getting enough protein, fat, and saturated fat, I need to introduce beef chicken fish milk and cheese. Oh and cholesterol. And that gives me the added bonus of triglycerides in my lipid profile. No big deal. I can handle it.

No thanks. You go ahead.

Only fat out of shape people die of heart disease. And get diabetes. Oh and old guys and girls. Like 50 somethings like me.

You are bullet proof. You are 30 something? Forty something? Twenty something? Think about it.

Do your research. I'm not dogmatic. Not religiously preaching.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Ya did it already. The only thing I gain from animal products is protein, fat, saturated fat. I lose fiber, Vitamin A, C, iron, and calcium.

So if I'm not getting enough protein, fat, and saturated fat, I need to introduce beef chicken fish milk and cheese. Oh and cholesterol. And that gives me the added bonus of triglycerides in my lipid profile. No big deal. I can handle it.

No thanks. You go ahead.

Only fat out of shape people die of heart disease. And get diabetes. Oh and old guys and girls. Like 50 somethings like me.

You are bullet proof. You are 30 something? Forty something? Twenty something? Think about it.

Fair enough. Just to clarify triglycerides in our lipid profile are created by consuming too many carbohydrates, not animal fat or dietary cholesterol. Reducing carbs with protein reduces trigs in the blood. Elevated triglycerides are generally a sign of a diet high in sugar and refined carbs with low HDL and normal to low LDL, which most people with MetS, diabetes, IR have.
  • Wade406
    Options
    Somebody posted this on another discussion I have read talking about going Vegan so as to not use anything made from an animal. With everything that is made from animals you really can NOT live your life without using things made from animals.
    144417d1359076607-vegans-who-ride-question-no-such-thing-as-a-vegan.jpg

And I am an animal lover. I have/had birds, dogs, horses, bunnies, fish, and I am a dog groomer.

I'm all over using critters in any way that will benefit me. If eating them gives me an edge I'll do it. Bring it. Show me how I can gain by eating animal products.

I love my leather shoes. My Brooks leather saddle on my Heroica bike. My leather upholstery in my Infiniti FX. I have a nice whitetail mount out in the garage. I shot a nice elk between Seeley Lake and Lincoln, Montana just south of where I live. I ate the deer and elk I shot too.

Show me how I can get more nutrients eating animal foods and fitting that into my caloric requirements. Macro and micro.

The deal is animals give you fat and protein. And cholesterol. And triglycerides. So if you're short on that stock up.

The fact animal products are calorie dense foods that displace nutrient rich plant based foods. To get enough nutrients one must plan carefully to offset the lack of nutrients due to the animal based foods. Its all in the numbers if anyone is brave enough to do the math.

The reality is we are all brainwashed to believe that its no big deal because that's what we want to believe. Because damn it if I'm going to give up that gooey melted vintage cheddar and that succulent medium rare bone-in rib steak or that juicy piece of blackened chicken breast or that shrimp scampi bathing in garlic and butter.

Black beans and rice win. I'm as sad as anyone else that it's the truth. But you know what I've learned over my years? There's no free lunch. Money doesn't grow on trees after all. Wishing doesn't make it so.
  • Wade406
    Options

No thanks. You go ahead.

Fair enough. Just to clarify triglycerides in our lipid profile are created by consuming too many carbohydrates, not animal fat or dietary cholesterol. Reducing carbs with protein reduces trigs in the blood. Elevated triglycerides are generally a sign of a diet high in sugar and refined carbs with low HDL and normal to low LDL, which most people with MetS, diabetes, IR have.

You sure about that Doctor? I'll trust you then. I stand corrected.
  • alid2013
    Options
    Thanks for opening up this topic! I decided a few days ago to be a vegan, or at least try. I am not going to publicly label myself a vegan because I know that there will be times in my life where I slip up, I am human. I have always had vegetarian tendencies being an animal lover and finally decided that going vegan is the best thing for my psyche. When I see images of abused animals (or people for that matter) it truly hurts, I lose sleep over it. Not using animal products is a way to vote with my dollars (or lack of dollars) and to not support factory farming. However, if a neighbor had chickens in their yard I would have no problem eating their eggs, same with milk and cheese and possibly even actual meat. But I DO have a problem with factory farming.

I think this will also be great for my health as I am 60 pounds overweight and love to indulge mindlessly in snacks and packaged foods. Being vegan pretty much eliminates fast food for me. I plan not to buy leather, wool or silk but might if it is second hand. We'll see. Good luck to you, I will check back on this thread in the days to come :~)

Alisa
  • neanderthin
    Options
    It's from scientific data on lipid and cholesterol research, not any particular Dr. LOL...........the day I rely on personal opinion for any in depth nutritional information, is the day I become vegan....just kidding.:smile:
  • Wade406
    Options
    It's from scientific data on lipid and cholesterol research, not any particular Dr. LOL...........the day I rely on personal opinion for any in depth nutritional information, is the day I become vegan....just kidding.:smile:

Hypertriglyceridemia denotes high (hyper-) blood levels (-emia) of triglycerides, the most abundant fatty molecule in most organisms. Elevated levels of triglycerides are associated with atherosclerosis, even in the absence of hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels), and predispose to cardiovascular disease. Very high triglyceride levels also increase the risk of acute pancreatitis. Hypertriglyceridemia itself is usually symptomless, although high levels may be associated with skin lesions known as xanthomas.[1]
    The diagnosis is made on blood tests, often performed as part of screening. Once diagnosed, other blood tests are usually required to determine whether the raised triglyceride level is caused by other underlying disorders ("secondary hypertriglyceridemia") or whether no such underlying cause exists ("primary hypertriglyceridaemia"). There is a hereditary predisposition to both primary and secondary hypertriglyceridemia.[1]
    Weight loss and dietary modification may be effective in hypertriglyceridemia. The decision to treat hypertriglyceridemia with medication depends on the levels and on the presence of other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Very high levels that would increase the risk of pancreatitis is treated with a drug from the fibrate class. Niacin and omega-3 fatty acids as well as drugs from the statin class may be used in conjunction, with statins being the main drug treatment for moderate hypertriglyceridemia where reduction of cardiovascular risk is required.[1]
  • Wade406
    Options

Hypertriglyceridemia denotes high (hyper-) blood levels (-emia) of triglycerides, the most abundant fatty molecule in most organisms. Elevated levels of triglycerides are associated with atherosclerosis, even in the absence of hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels), and predispose to cardiovascular disease. Very high triglyceride levels also increase the risk of acute pancreatitis. Hypertriglyceridemia itself is usually symptomless, although high levels may be associated with skin lesions known as xanthomas.[1]
    The diagnosis is made on blood tests, often performed as part of screening. Once diagnosed, other blood tests are usually required to determine whether the raised triglyceride level is caused by other underlying disorders ("secondary hypertriglyceridemia") or whether no such underlying cause exists ("primary hypertriglyceridaemia"). There is a hereditary predisposition to both primary and secondary hypertriglyceridemia.[1]
    Weight loss and dietary modification may be effective in hypertriglyceridemia. The decision to treat hypertriglyceridemia with medication depends on the levels and on the presence of other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Very high levels that would increase the risk of pancreatitis is treated with a drug from the fibrate class. Niacin and omega-3 fatty acids as well as drugs from the statin class may be used in conjunction, with statins being the main drug treatment for moderate 1hypertriglyceridemia where reduction of cardiovascular risk is required.[1]

Or magically, another way to lower triglycerides in a lipid profile is a plant based diet. Crazy right?!?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Weight loss and dietary modification may be effective in hypertriglyceridemia. The decision to treat hypertriglyceridemia with medication depends on the levels and on the presence of other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Very high levels that would increase the risk of pancreatitis is treated with a drug from the fibrate class. Niacin and omega-3 fatty acids as well as drugs from the statin class may be used in conjunction, with statins being the main drug treatment for moderate hypertriglyceridemia where reduction of cardiovascular risk is required.[1]
    Scroll down to causes.
  • Wade406
    Options

Scroll down to causes.

Dude. You saw your favorite words. Carbohydrates. And then your mind closed. Good luck to you.

I was you 10 months ago. Who knew?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Scroll down to causes.

Dude. You saw your favorite words. Carbohydrates. And then your mind closed. Good luck to you.

I was you 10 months ago. Who knew?
    LOL, wow. In your link it says the main cause of high triglycerides in the blood is a high carb diet, but for some reason you forgot to include that in your cut and paste ......your hilarious. Typical though. Look out cholesterol is going to kill us all.......lol