Why should I go VEGAN??

Options

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't like meat. Never have. But I make myself eat it now because I realize I am healthier eating it than not eating it. I was a vegan for about 15 years and I started getting sick around year 5 or 6 and it just got worse from there.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    if ur going to go vegan it had better be for environmental or political reasons... because if you think you are going to be "healthier" or "look better" you are just fooling yourself.

QFT, speaking from experience.

ETA: i'm a total liar. I didn't leave this thread. I'm avoiding what i *should* be doing today.

Get to work, lady!
    <- avoiding studying AND cleaning

My coworkers are also making me bang head on desk.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I don't like meat. Never have. But I make myself eat it now because I realize I am healthier eating it than not eating it. I was a vegan for about 15 years and I started getting sick around year 5 or 6 and it just got worse from there.

hey! SD like me... fuc this rain fo realz tho.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have my vegan story for you. First, the earth cooled...

I'm 53. I used to be @solpwr. I was a weightlifter/bodybuilder in my 20's. My dad was a butcher. When I quit lifting, I gained 100 pounds. I worked my butt off to get rid of that weight. The last few years I've focused on fitness. I ride my bikes (100 miles/week avg)and ski mountaineer (climb up, ski down, no ski lifts). I had my VO2 max tested (52 ml/kg/min) in September.

Part of my motive for fitness was the stark contrast between the health of my parents and the health of my grandfather. At 96 my grandfather was vital and active, he walked every day, he was still driving, he told jokes, he was always looking for the humor of life, he was also thin. My parents are overweight, mom has diabetes, dad has had 2 bypass operations, the first one at the age I am now. They live the saddest, most pathetic life I can imagine. They live on steak, Coke, ice cream and french fries.

In December I was browsing Netflix documentaries. I love to learn. I watched Forks Over Knives. The work of Drs. Campbell and Esselstyn are presented along with other scientists and MD's. I accept the premise of the movie: most people who eat meat have some sort of cardiovascular disease, they just don't show symptoms.

So this month I have adopted a whole foods plant-based diet. For the first time in my life I have went without meat, cheese, dairy, fish, and cooking oil for a prolonged period. I always heard veggies and vegans say how good they felt. Whatever. I ride my bike 100 miles per week, do you know how good I feel? I feel fantastic. So I thought. This WFPB diet... this is Next Level feeling good.

I track everything, including cholesterol levels. 2002 - 147, 2004 - 156, 2006 -165, 2008 -181, 2009 - 164, 2010 -147, 2011 - 154, 2012 - 136. Not high numbers. But do you know how many people DIE of heart disease every year who've never had a reading above 200? Thousands. Every. Year.

I love the way I'm eating. I gained a few pounds since winter has been here in Montana. Its coming off with WFPB diet. And the funny thing is I'm eating huge volumes of food. I finally found a way to eat as much as I would like to eat! And I am a foodie. I love flavors and tastes (and wine!). The flavors are so varied... its amazing actually. The fats mute flavors, I never realized that before.

I eat legumes every day. I eat 3-5 pieces of fruit every day. I do not limit quantity in any way, just stay away from the foods I've prohibited for myself. Did I mention I feel fantastic?

Last summer riding my downhill bike on a trail. You can see the crash here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NYtVl4bqo&amp;feature=share&amp;list=UU8yLDmkCx527xotFHFsZYJw.
    I was wearing armor, but I hurt my shoulder. It was not healing. I couldn't lift weights. My 2 plate (per side) bench press was down to a pair of dimes. Guess what? I'm lifting again. After 6 months of no progress (my MD said I likely had arthritis), 2 weeks WFPB I'm benching 135.

We'll see what my next cholesterol test says. I've drank the cool-aid friends. And I'm diggin it.

I don't care so much about the animal rights. I'm going to miss killing animals for sport.

But I'm an analyst. You know how much energy goes into feeding out animals for food? If we all just ate the food that is grown for animal consumption (87% of the US land utilized for agriculture is used for animal production), we would have enough food to feed the planet's population. When my grandfather was a child meat was a luxury. And heart disease was rare. Now its a staple. And heart disease is the leading killer in the wealthy nations of the planet. This correlation points to causation. Beyond question.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, and have been since March of 2012. I made the decision mainly for my health, but it is also because meat animals are treated horribly, live in filthy conditions, and it is better for the environment. I was vegetarian for about three years ago, sometime back and I loved it, I just decided at some point it was too difficult being veg in a house full of meat eaters and fell off the wagon. But I always felt bad about going back to eating meat, and I am very much at peace with the way I have chosen to live now.

I feel better than I have in YEARS, my health is WAY better than it was 10 months ago, and I have lost a lot of weight. I am also very happy with the food that I am eating. Can't beat that!
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ...Can you imagine all people in the world as being vegetarians/vegans? How much land we would then need to grow enough crops to feed the population? That's why vegetarians/vegans create sort of balance for meat-eaters...

:noway: I'm speechless.

It was my opinion and you have a right to disagree with it. I respect it. :}
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan again. I was vegan for 2 years in college, and I was definitely at my healthiest--both with the way I looked and my body. I want to fit into the jeans I was wearing back then! DAMN I looked good. Everyone said I glowed! When I went to the doctor for a check up, the doctor said my stats were amazing and asked me how I do it and what my diet consisted of. I told him mostly veggies, grains, cereals, and legumes. And tumeric--tumeric is really, really good for you. Oh yes, and Miso. I bought Miso paste(the fresh stuff WITHOUT MSG) and was making a ton of Miso soup. Super good for you.

I stopped being vegan because I was going through a hard time in my life and thinking about other stuff......so yeah. Ick the quality of meat I was eating was disgusting. There's NO WAY that factory farmed chicken(think Foster's Farms) can be good for you. Not in the conditions that they are kept. Gross.

Now I'm back to being vegan and I'm happy about it! I think there is nothing NORMAL about our food system--in fact, i think it is very ABNORMAL. So any way of eating that most people consider "Abnormal' is probably better. You can be vegan and eat lots of cookies, soy ice cream, chips, etc. and definetely won't see results, or you can do it right, and from my own personal experience, I promise people will compliment you on your glow and even doctors will ask how you're doing it.

Oh yes, and I get more than enough iron, protein, calcium, and B vitamins. I track them. And i don't get them from a multi-vitamin.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I'm 53. I used to be @solpwr. I was a weightlifter/bodybuilder in my 20's. My dad was a butcher. When I quit lifting, I gained 100 pounds. I worked my butt off to get rid of that weight. The last few years I've focused on fitness. I ride my bikes (100 miles/week avg)and ski mountaineer (climb up, ski down, no ski lifts). I had my VO2 max tested (52 ml/kg/min) in September.

Part of my motive for fitness was the stark contrast between the health of my parents and the health of my grandfather. At 96 my grandfather was vital and active, he walked every day, he was still driving, he told jokes, he was always looking for the humor of life, he was also thin. My parents are overweight, mom has diabetes, dad has had 2 bypass operations, the first one at the age I am now. They live the saddest, most pathetic life I can imagine. They live on steak, Coke, ice cream and french fries.

In December I was browsing Netflix documentaries. I love to learn. I watched Forks Over Knives. The work of Drs. Campbell and Esselstyn are presented along with other scientists and MD's. I accept the premise of the movie: most people who eat meat have some sort of cardiovascular disease, they just don't show symptoms.

So this month I have adopted a whole foods plant-based diet. For the first time in my life I have went without meat, cheese, dairy, fish, and cooking oil for a prolonged period. I always heard veggies and vegans say how good they felt. Whatever. I ride my bike 100 miles per week, do you know how good I feel? I feel fantastic. So I thought. This WFPB diet... this is Next Level feeling good.

I track everything, including cholesterol levels. 2002 - 147, 2004 - 156, 2006 -165, 2008 -181, 2009 - 164, 2010 -147, 2011 - 154, 2012 - 136. Not high numbers. But do you know how many people DIE of heart disease every year who've never had a reading above 200? Thousands. Every. Year.

I love the way I'm eating. I gained a few pounds since winter has been here in Montana. Its coming off with WFPB diet. And the funny thing is I'm eating huge volumes of food. I finally found a way to eat as much as I would like to eat! And I am a foodie. I love flavors and tastes (and wine!). The flavors are so varied... its amazing actually. The fats mute flavors, I never realized that before.

I eat legumes every day. I eat 3-5 pieces of fruit every day. I do not limit quantity in any way, just stay away from the foods I've prohibited for myself. Did I mention I feel fantastic?

Last summer riding my downhill bike on a trail. You can see the crash here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NYtVl4bqo&amp;feature=share&amp;list=UU8yLDmkCx527xotFHFsZYJw.
    I was wearing armor, but I hurt my shoulder. It was not healing. I couldn't lift weights. My 2 plate (per side) bench press was down to a pair of dimes. Guess what? I'm lifting again. After 6 months of no progress (my MD said I likely had arthritis), 2 weeks WFPB I'm benching 135.

We'll see what my next cholesterol test says. I've drank the cool-aid friends. And I'm diggin it.

I don't care so much about the animal rights. I'm going to miss killing animals for sport.

But I'm an analyst. You know how much energy goes into feeding out animals for food? If we all just ate the food that is grown for animal consumption (87% of the US land utilized for agriculture is used for animal production), we would have enough food to feed the planet's population. When my grandfather was a child meat was a luxury. And heart disease was rare. Now its a staple. And heart disease is the leading killer in the wealthy nations of the planet. This correlation points to causation. Beyond question.

When your grandfather was a child, there would also have been little in the way of processed, packaged foods, which I think is more relevant. To blame heart disease purely on meat consumption would be ludicrous.
  • Wade406
    Options

When your grandfather was a child, there would also have been little in the way of processed, packaged foods, which I think is more relevant. To blame heart disease purely on meat consumption would be ludicrous.

And yet that's exactly what Dr Esselstyn does. Amazingly. Look him up. www.heartattackproof.com. He's a researcher and clinician and knows way more about it than you or I.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not taking the bait.

I'm with YOU!! I won't go Vegan by choice...

My sis is vegan, but she's gaining weight now where she's never been heavy in her life.. EVER!
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tried going vegan once a while ago, but I began feeling sluggish and sick all the time. I later read a book, "Eat Right 4 Your Type," that explained that there is some evidence that different blood types need different diets. I'm type O, which, according to this book, means that I need more meat. Personally, I am a meat eater. However, I do not have any prejudice agains vegans. I have a family member who is vegan simply because she feels sick when she eats animal proteins.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Not taking the bait.

I'm not asking anyone to 'take the bait.' I just think people should be more aware. There's something to be gained by knowing what you need and don't need, knowing what's healthy and unhealthy, and knowing how products get from the source to your plate and what the effects of that process are.

I encourage you to watch the documentary and then take a definite stance, but don't just deny the information for the sake of wanting to stay ignorant.
    I sometimes wonder if vegans think I'm actually a worse person than somebody who eats the standard meat diet out of ignorance.

I am extremely well informed about all of the terrible things caused by the meat industry. I try to eat grass/natural-fed free range beasts, but in the end I just don't care.

Do you not believe that I'm perfectly willing to butcher my own food? I am, but why would I want to do that when I can pay somebody else to do it for me? (like building a home, or assembling my phone or my computer)

I also disagree regarding the health claims. China study is horse-poop.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    the majority of the responses on here are from misinformed a-hats. there's a herbivore group on here that you should join if you want more information or you can add some vegans to your friends list. the only thing you might need to supplement is b12, everything else is plentiful in a vegan diet.
  • Wade406
    Options
    Not taking the bait.

I'm not asking anyone to 'take the bait.' I just think people should be more aware. There's something to be gained by knowing what you need and don't need, knowing what's healthy and unhealthy, and knowing how products get from the source to your plate and what the effects of that process are.

I encourage you to watch the documentary and then take a definite stance, but don't just deny the information for the sake of wanting to stay ignorant.
    I sometimes wonder if vegans think I'm actually a worse person than somebody who eats the standard meat diet out of ignorance.

I am extremely well informed about all of the terrible things caused by the meat industry. I try to eat grass/natural-fed free range beasts, but in the end I just don't care.

Do you not believe that I'm perfectly willing to butcher my own food? I am, but why would I want to do that when I can pay somebody else to do it for me? (like building a home, or assembling my phone or my computer)

I also disagree regarding the health claims. China study is horse-poop.

Worse? Maybe. Really I don't know you so it doesn't matter. What you've said tells me that your personal biases play a very big role in your resaoning process. Most people lack the ability to be appropriately objective. You're like most people. That's not a bad thing per se. It is what it is.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, think of your health
  • smallstarshining
    Options
    This is less of a 'why should some go vegan' thread and more of a reminder of why I keep my personal food choices to myself in my day to day life. Geez.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If veganism appeals to you, you shouldn't require convincing.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, think of your health

People are ignorant to it until they do their research.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    the majority of the responses on here are from misinformed a-hats. there's a herbivore group on here that you should join if you want more information or you can add some vegans to your friends list. the only thing you might need to supplement is b12, everything else is plentiful in a vegan diet.

Where do you get arachidonic acid?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm against the violent and exploitative practices of factory farming.

It is also more environmentally "sustainable" to be vegan (For example, 60% of the grain grown is for feed for animals for slaughter. Land clearing is the biggest release of green house gases)