PJ's in public?

Options

Replies

• LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think most Americans are tragically underdressed these days. Jeez, I sound like an old lady. But, seriously, step up your game people.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I see it at the Walmart all the time but I think it's beyond tacky. No! I am not even going to wear my pajamas out unless it's Halloween. Then I have a valid excuse!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wow, seeing the responses in here makes me want to wear pajamas 24/7 just so I don't ever have to worry about making friends with an idiot.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    What do other people in your trailer park do?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Stereotyping: a tool for simple minds to approximate the complexity of the real world.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Last night I had just gotten comfortable (put on my PJ bottoms and slippers) and my daughter wanted me to go to the store with her. I told her I would have to put clothes back on. She said to go in my PJ's.

I just can't do that. I can wear sweats, mini skirts, short shorts out in public. But I just can't wear PJ's out in public. I consider them around the house clothing, not public clothing.

Am I odd? Is it just me? Are there things you wear at home but can't wear in public? I know some people have no problem wearing PJ's out and about, but I just can't do it.

What is the opinion?

I graduated high school in 2009, and the only people I see wearing PJ's out of the house are people in junior high/high school (under 20 for sure). That isn't to say that there's anything wrong with wearing PJ's out, just that I personally see it as something that kids do. As long as you're not guilty of "indecent exposure," you shouldn't worry about what you're wearing........

Except I do. I've lost around 30 pounds so far, and I cannot wear my XL shirts or baggy pants out. Same thing with my gym clothes; if they didn't have a place to change there, I would never go. I wear the gym uniform from my high school, so there are a lot of reasons why I feel uncomfortable in it. Wearing baggy clothes, sweats, and other stuff like that just makes me wish I were invisible.
  • 4summer38
    Options
    Only when going through a drive thru.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not just you. I see someone wearing PJs in public and I think, "Really? Couldn't put in even a tiny bit of effort?" It drives me nuts. I went out once in my pajamas and I was so embarrassed!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I wear my pj's if I'm going to the store or somewhere close to my house. My pj's are pretty fashionable though. Victoria's secret makes the best jammies because they look like a regular top and pants you lounge in.
  • ThatOrganicMom
    ThatOrganicMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Uh, face it peeps, pjs are meant for in home use only. Wearing them in public is not classy!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My mom is kind of a southern belle type, so she taught me that going out in pj's was one of the cardinal sins. I'm not as strict about some things as she is, but that is something we can agree on. I have done athletic pants (the loose adidas-type) but never pj's. I just think it's trashy. Very "People of WalMart." Just throw on some freaking jeans.

Yeah, I'm judgmental about it. We all are about one thing or another.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field, wear scrubs to work. What is the difference between wearing scrub pants in public vs "pajama bottoms"?

The difference is that wearing PJs in public is a style issue.

Wearing scrubs in public is a health issue. The whole point to scrubs is that you don't track germs in or out of the medical setting.

Please change at work.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is.. why does anyone think that them saying "it's classless" or whatever your insult of choice is, means a frikking thing to anyone else? If I cared about what you thought, I would have asked. I wear pj bottoms often, and it's usually after a kidney stone attack, because my flank is ridiculously sore and pjs are the only thing I can comfortably wear. But I suppose the idea that I might have a medical issue never crossed your mind because you are so darn superficial all you care about is style?

I suppose you people are the same one that think I'm wearing white pj bottoms when I run into the store before/after taekwondo class without my belt on to identify myself as a martial artist. My bad, I'll make sure I wear it next time just so you don't waste your scarce brain resources incorrectly judging me.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if I am in a rush, and I need whatever I need NOW, guess what? I'm hauling *kitten* to the store in my frickin' PJs! In fact, I LIKE to do it. My winter PJ pants are made of uber fluffy, brushed polyester; my legs have never been warmer. I have also worn PJ pants to my MRT classes if... ahem, the "washing machine is a little slow this week". I have a "PJ buddy" who also changes into his for the workout. Whoop-dee-doo.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I could never wear my PJs in public. Why? Because either I'm in a full-length plaid flannel nightgown, or a skimpy silky little baby-doll nightie. Nope, PJs are not an option for me... :bigsmile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't even wear PJ's to bed. But, I do wear a t-shirt and some fleece pants.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I still don't see being judgmental as being "hostile" That to me would be more along the lines of yelling at someone in public for wearing pjs. Not liking that people do something doesn't make one hostile, just makes one judgmental.
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't wear pjs in public. Ever. Always make the effort to get dressed! :)
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    OMG, I just realized how pissed off everyone in my college classes must have felt. Here I was showing up in PJs 90% of the time and totally spanking all the tests/papers and messing up the curve. The must have thought, " I hate that lazy, dirty SOB that is totally screwing up my GPA and not even bothering to dress to do it." :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I still don't see being judgmental as being "hostile" That to me would be more along the lines of yelling at someone in public for wearing pjs. Not liking that people do something doesn't make one hostile, just makes one judgmental.
    Yep, when women put on makeup in the usual way, they are taking the physiological signs of sexual receptiveness (flushed lips/cheeks) and hugely exaggerating them. It's like wearing a blinking sign saying "I am 35 times more horny than it is possible for anyone to be." It's like if guys used a baseball bat to pitch a tent in their pants and walked around like that all day. That is hilarious enough to me, and then it's multiplied by the fact that women go through so much effort to look so ridiculous. But I also understand that's a cultural thing and I don't use it a a basis to calculate the content of one's character.