PJ's in public?

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I still don't see being judgmental as being "hostile" That to me would be more along the lines of yelling at someone in public for wearing pjs. Not liking that people do something doesn't make one hostile, just makes one judgmental.
    Yep, when women put on makeup in the usual way, they are taking the physiological signs of sexual receptiveness (flushed lips/cheeks) and hugely exaggerating them. It's like wearing a blinking sign saying "I am 35 times more horny than it is possible for anyone to be." It's like if guys used a baseball bat to pitch a tent in their pants and walked around like that all day. That is hilarious enough to me, and then it's multiplied by the fact that women go through so much effort to look so ridiculous. But I also understand that's a cultural thing and I don't use it a a basis to calculate the content of one's character.

Nah. I wear make up to keep people from asking if I'm sick, which they invariably do when I go without. I'm extremely pale with natural dark circles under my eyes. I had an English teacher in high school who would ask me in a very concerned way if I was "ill" when I would show up to her class without my makeup on. I truly think she believed it and was not being snarky.

Not all makeup mimics sexual signals, anyway. Bright red lipstick and exaggerated blush? Yeah. But foundation is a whole different story.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I sleep in Babsketball shorts , sop asl along as it worm enough I'd do.. but nah your not weird , this a new trend and I don't agree with it either
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've seen it done, done it, thought it was cool, and thought it was a bit tacky. If you're comfy in your jammies and aren't going anywhere too special go for it. Lately, if I can't be bothered to put on real pants I'll wear yoga pants. Same comfort level but it looks a smidge nicer. The last time I wore pjs out I was going to urgent care and felt too terrible to care about how I looked. BUT if you're not comfy in jammies in public, yoga pants lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wow. Where I live, it's pretty common to see men, women, boys and girls all in their pjs at the grocery store or Starbucks or something like that. I see it all the time, although, I don't do it.

But, I do drop off my kids at school in my pjs. I don't leave the car, I just stop, they get out, and I keep moving.

Instead to pjs, if I'm going to the store, I'll put on sweat pants. Somehow, that's acceptable. Same thing though, IMO, especially if I slept in my sweat pants. Lol.
    ^this
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My wife is Chinese, and we lived in China for a while before moving back to Brisbane, Many older women wear pj's outside in China and its very acceptable,I don't think its lazy, Chinese women are very particular about their appearance and have special pj's for wearing when other people are around.
    Here in Australia its just for indoor wear, although my wife wears her's in the garden sometimes.

Just depends on where you live and the local culture I think,

Cheers , Ian.

right. cause in colleges and in california pj's in some shape or form seem to be the norm, no? i remember how hard a former GM of a five star place originated back east thought it would be to handle beach side town people being asked to abide the dress code. he thought everyone in OC would go in with flip flops, surfer shorts, and pj's.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    haha... I have NEVER done that. U need to respect yourself and I don't consider that respectful! When I go out anywhere, I want to appear like a young lady and wearing pajama's in public shows laziness and I do not want to stand out in front of anyone lazy looking.......
  • Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    I have worn mine out in public,long gone are the days I care what people think about me!!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't even own PJ's. I sleep wearing only underpants, so I should probably put some clothes on before going outside.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    People are way too ****ing annoying when it comes to things like this. Why the hell would you care if someone was wearing PJs in public? Get over yourself.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I judge people who wear PJs in public, ngl.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    PJs in public is popular with the teens. I don't get it. It screams white trash to me. **no offense to anyone**
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I've worn my pjs to classes before. To be fair my pjs are a singlet and athletic shorts so it's not a big deal
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't care I'm wearing my Pillsbury Dough Boy "This is how I roll" PJ pants to work today cuz its freezing out and yeah... This IS how I roll haha. I'd basically wear anything out in public. Clothes are clothes right? :P
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the replies, but I've done it.

Had to drop my mom off at work a few times since we share a car, and at 6 am I am not getting dressed just do drive a car and drop off my mom.

I also wear Ugg shoes that look like slippers but they are actual shoes. Things are so warm and comfy, that I don't care if people think they look like slippers.
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cant say I concern myself with what others wear in public.. not my chair, not my problem.
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    People are way too ****ing annoying when it comes to things like this. Why the hell would you care if someone was wearing PJs in public? Get over yourself.

This. One million times.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have what might be the most shameful sweatpants in the world. I can't wear those anywhere!
  • Urban_Spelunker
    Urban_Spelunker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a probation officer and many of my drug addicted offenders who do not have jobs, miss their 9am appointments, come rolling into my courthouse office around 2pm in their pajamas.....enuff said. Unfortunately, this is the stereotype that is burned into my brain when I see people wearing pajamas in public.

I understand it is cultural and a mind set for some folks - but we do live in a judgmental society in the US and there are certain mores (norms) regarding dress code in certain situations.

It really does not bother me nor do I really care as long as you are clean and have your pajama top tucked in, out of respect, when you come to see me at the courthouse. I would also advise that you not wear your pajamas in front of the judge when I take you to court for probation violations. He might not get it ...lol...

Hey, if I could get away with wearing my pajamas at work, I would. A nice set of comfy flannels would be awesome.
  • Urban_Spelunker
    Urban_Spelunker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stereotyping: a tool for simple minds to approximate the complexity of the real world.

That made me chuckle as it was stereotyping those who stereotype. :drinker:

Tough crowd.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    When I was a student, I worked in a hotel bar to pay my rent and food - I usually got home about 3am.

I got up at 8am to get the paper from the local shop (about 5 mins walk across a busy road) If I didn't get the paper, they would be all gone, bought by people who were returning home from church and I looooooved my Sunday paper. Yes, I went to the shops in my PJs and usually wellies as they were easy to slip on and off. After a few weeks, the staff didn't even blink.

When I got back home, I got back into my still warm bed, spread the papers out and usually went back to sleep after an hour of reading.

It didn't mean I was lazy or giving up on life or any of the negative things that people have said on here. In fact, it was a perfect way to spend a quite Sunday after a busy week. Sometimes it is a practical solution to a temporary problem, no more, no less.

This actually sounds like such a wonderful way to spend a Sunday that I cannot deny the charm of wearing PJs in public in this instance. Also, learned the new term of "wellies" for slippers.