PJ's in public?

Options
creech6317
creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
Last night I had just gotten comfortable (put on my PJ bottoms and slippers) and my daughter wanted me to go to the store with her. I told her I would have to put clothes back on. She said to go in my PJ's.

I just can't do that. I can wear sweats, mini skirts, short shorts out in public. But I just can't wear PJ's out in public. I consider them around the house clothing, not public clothing.

Am I odd? Is it just me? Are there things you wear at home but can't wear in public? I know some people have no problem wearing PJ's out and about, but I just can't do it.

What is the opinion?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on the PJs front. If they are obviously pyjamas then they should be kept to the house...call me old fashioned but there are just some things that shouldn't get passed the front stoop. At most I'll take the garbage out in them, and I'll feel incredibly embarrassed if I do!

And I gotta say, it almost feels like a personal affront when I go to a nice restaurant and I see someone there who looks like they literally just rolled out of bed, PJs included, hair unbrushed, etc.

I try to be open minded but...yeah no. I won't cuss you out about it but I might give you a stinky look, lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    NEVER EVER wear pjs in public. Once you do, you've said "that's it, I've given up".

It's not hard to invest a little effort, people.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would never wear pj's in public! Like sleepy texan said, you gotta put effort in yourself and make sure you look good...when you look good you feel good :)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am glad it isn't just me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It's not for me. I can't help but find it lazy. I think people that do it think they're being oh so cool.

I saw a girl in her 20's in a onesie in Costco shopping with her parents, she looked utterly ridiculous, not cute or cool.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    make it legal PLEASE.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    It makes me angry to see people wearing PJs in public. I have even seen people wearing slippers! How lazy can you get??:angry::grumble: :explode:

The only time I do not mind is at the pharmacy, if you are sick, that is a different story.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If it's a lace teddy I think it's ok.
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A onsie?! Seriously

There was a woman on my bus this morning wearing her PJ's AND robe! I hope she was sleep walking. :noway:
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ghetto but I'm not mad about lingerie. Ha.
  • raginghadron
    Options
    You're absolutely right. Wearing PJs in public (even if you live in dorms and you have a 7:45AM class) unequivocally shows that 1) you lack basic fashion sense and 2) have absolutely no respect for yourself.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    There are just somethings that are not meant as public wear. PJs are definately on the list. I cant stand seeing people in a store walking around in them. I just want to walk up and ask if they were to lazy to change. Mean I know, but really people.
  • shak29
    shak29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    make it legal PLEASE.

I second this.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I won't lie I used to wear my PJ's in public in college. But, I only used to do that when I had to drive a friend to Walmart and it was like 3am. Otherwise, I say no to wearing PJ's in public.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think that is more of a teenager thing. As a teenager I would once and a while get up out of bed in my pj's and just go to school and I also carried a lunch box with trippy looking ballerina bunnies. But, my pj's were a sweat shirt and stretchy pants. Teenagers love to test the limits of fashion in just about every way. I wouldn't go out in pj's now. Teenagers can get away with stuff like that (at that age we looked hot in everything...not that I knew that back then because I didn't).
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think once you get through about 3rd grade it's just inappropriate, so I'm with you. Lounge pants, OK. I have some lounge pants in micro fiber, not the same thing as PJs at all. :huh: Oh and then there's the people who wear their slippers too and I wonder if they are too lazy to get dressed, have nothing clean or just really don't have anyreal clothes to wear? You know?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Depends on the PJs. What fabric, what style. Also where you are going. Late at night to pick up some essential, especially if you wear a coat over them...I say ok. But personally I couldn't make that choice because I don't have any, so it's clothes or nothing.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Never ever should PJ's be worn in public. You look like you are too lazy to get dressed and no it is not fashionable. I've seen a few people even wear their slippers too. WTF??
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ghetto but I'm not mad about lingerie. Ha.

YUP... total Ghetto!
    Have some class, put on real clothing

LOL about the lingerie!!!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound kinda mean, but when I see someone in PJ's in public...I think "really??? you couldn't be bothered to take off your sleeping pants and put on clothes??? did you just give up on life?"

I know that is super judgemental...but I can't stand it. That and house shoes in public.