Online Relationships...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be ashamed of, it is quite popular nowadays. I have several friends and cousins who are happily married with a guy they met online.

Not to derail...

But holy crap you look like iCarly.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Been in multiple online relationships. Same success and failure rate overall as non-online relationships, in my case.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on an online dating sites after several failed dates. I had just given up and then one day I got an email from him. We began talking in the middle of Jan/05. He sold his house in March and moved in with his two children April/05. We had our own child in 07. I had 2 previous children from my ex also. We married in 2008. We have an amazing relationship! Worked for us!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met online ( Match.com ). We lived not even 5 miles from each other, worked next door to each other for 10 years, he got his hair cut in the salon I worked at by the girl I shared a station with, but we never met and likely wouldn't have without the online dating. We met in 2009, moved in together 2010, married in 2011, and still going strong in 2013. I would pay little attention to others who are critizing the how in your meeting. Honestly it's no better nor worse than meeting in any different avenue.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yeah that person is not in the 21st century. Tons of people meet online and there is no longer a stigma attached to it. I'd venture to guess she had a poor experience and is not able to get over it. Also, kinda rude to eaves drop on conversations in public and then feel the need to comment.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I met my wife at work, but I told her if we hadn't met, I'd probably have tried the online route. Worries about unsafe or dishonest people can happen offline just as easily.

The last serious relationship prior to my wife, we used to joke/lie that we met online. We were embarrassed we met at the gym.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The safety issue is kind of a silly excuse. If you randomly met some guy/girl at the store, gym, etc, and didn't know them you wouldn't plan your first date and their place or somewhere non-public would you?

After my divorce I tried dating the ole' fashioned way but it just didn't work. Ended-up dating a friend for a while and that didn't end well. Other women were still kinda' playing games, which was a pretty big turnoff. I figured that online at least people would be a little more straight-forward and honest with what they want. So far that's been true. I mean it's still fun and challenging to learn about the person you meet but at least you're kinda' matched-up based on your personality and are looking for something serious.
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be ashamed of, it is quite popular nowadays. I have several friends and cousins who are happily married with a guy they met online.

Not to derail...

But holy crap you look like iCarly.

SO MUCH!
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you met, you met.

If you conversed online a good while before meeting then you know him a lot better than someone who took someone home that they met in a bar.

In my experience meeting someone online, which I did like 12 years ago, means you tend to open up a lot more than you would face to face which I think is great.

I can't say I'm surprised that some people have difficulty with the fact that you're ahead of the curve in how you meet people. Believe me a lot more people meet now online than when I did and that amount is only going to grow.

Ignore these idiots who are living in the past.

Naturally you need to be careful the first few times you meet physically, beyond that there is no more danger from meeting someone online who turns out to be a bad person than a few dates in with someone you met anywhere else.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If I was single I suppose I could find some common threads of interest that might make me consider visiting someone further away than normally. I've met tons of people online over the years. Some of them were even dressed.
  • browneyedbeaute
    browneyedbeaute Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain how i feel about them if your living a very long distance. Online relationships tend to evolve at warp speed. And if your not going to see the person for sometime, this can be a challenge. Life has so many challenges that they can fizzle quickly...
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You should have told that person that its rude to butt into someones conversation and that getting advice from a random stranger is stupid. They should mind their own freaking P's and Q's.
  • browneyedbeaute
    browneyedbeaute Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You should have told that person that its rude to butt into someones conversation and that getting advice from a random stranger is stupid. They should mind their own freaking P's and Q's.

LMAO.....
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain how i feel about them if your living a very long distance. Online relationships tend to evolve at warp speed. And if your not going to see the person for sometime, this can be a challenge. Life has so many challenges that they can fizzle quickly...

This is actually very true. My current GF and I met on Match.com and we texted/e-mailed for about two weeks, and then talked on the phone a couple times before we even met. We already knew a fair amount about each other at that point and by the end of our first month of dating I felt like it had been longer. Luckily she lives local and we didn't have a distance issue but our relationship has evolved quickly, which is good.