Starting P90X/Insanity in February

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    well doing anything would be better then just waiting for them to finish lol. but i think the girl push ups are the way to go. honestly shouldn't take much longer then getting into the push up position

and dive bomber push ups are way tougher then they look lol.

and how do you count them? i've been counting, 'under the fence - back under the fence' as one
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I would say start w/the "girl" push ups.. drop your knees and still do the push up. It will help build arm strength and get you to where you can do a regular push up.

Thanks, I will try to do a few of them in the next exercise. They seem like they would take more time to set-up and I will end up with very few repeats over all.

Agreed! Definitely try your best to go with the motion even if it means that you have to drop your knees or to do half push up. You'll get better at it, trust me!
  • proton77
    Options
    I was able to really push it last night and my neck wasn't bothering me that much. I recently ordered purple wraath BCAA -- it's a kind of amino acid recovery drink. I read a bunch of reviews about it and it comes highly recommended. I got it yesterday just in time for my workout. I mix a scoop with 20 oz of water and drank maybe one third 15 minutes before the workout and the rest during the workout. I found myself keeping up with not only the form but also the pace/reps with those people in the video for at least 25 minutes. The last 5-10 minutes before the cool down was the toughest and I took a little break there but overall I think I brought it. I was smiling during the workout thinking that "hey, maybe I can be in one of those videos :)".

BTW - I'm not a rep or affiliated with purple wraath. Just google for it if you're interested.
  • greeenerone
    Options
    well doing anything would be better then just waiting for them to finish lol. but i think the girl push ups are the way to go. honestly shouldn't take much longer then getting into the push up position

and dive bomber push ups are way tougher then they look lol.

and how do you count them? i've been counting, 'under the fence - back under the fence' as one

You are right, a few is better than none.
  • greeenerone
    Options
    I would say start w/the "girl" push ups.. drop your knees and still do the push up. It will help build arm strength and get you to where you can do a regular push up.

Thanks, I will try to do a few of them in the next exercise. They seem like they would take more time to set-up and I will end up with very few repeats over all.

Agreed! Definitely try your best to go with the motion even if it means that you have to drop your knees or to do half push up. You'll get better at it, trust me!

I will give them my all, next time.
  • andeehrdz
    andeehrdz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello, was thinking of starting Insanity on March 1st, but then I thought, "what's stopping me from starting tonight?"

Would be fun to join the conversation :D

I'll post my fit test results later tonight...should be interesting >.<
  • proton77
    Options
    Hello, was thinking of starting Insanity on March 1st, but then I thought, "what's stopping me from starting tonight?"

Would be fun to join the conversation :D

I'll post my fit test results later tonight...should be interesting >.<

There you go! That's how I started P90X last October. I didn't even have my gear but I decided to just pop the DVD in and start doing it. There's never a better time. We make any moment better!
  • andeehrdz
    andeehrdz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I have the endurance of a newborn, but here are my first Insanity Fit Test Results:

Switch Kicks 65
    Power Jacks 30
    Power Knees 55
    Power Jumps 8 * so i landed wrong and my upper thigh caught a strain so I had to pause while i walked it off and was careful for the rest of the test.
    Globe Jumps 5
    Suicide Jumps 11
    Push-Up Jacks 10
    Low Plank Oblique 22

Im excited to continue working on it :)
  • proton77
    Options
    @andeehrdz - good job on your fit test! Make sure you look at these numbers before you do the next fit test. You'd be surprised how much better you could do next time!
  • proton77
    Options
    I made a serious mistake last week when I skipped Cardio Recovery and replaced it with P90X weight training. I was missing out on some fantastic core and endurance work!

Last night, I told myself not to monkey with it but to give it my all. Cardio recovery might seem a lot "milder" than the other Insanity workout but it's actually not that easy. Many poses require and will improve your core and endurance.

Note to self: don't ever skip it again!

BTW - I still added about 20 minutes of P90X shoulders and arms in the end. I did it so that I could experiment more with the purple wraath BCAA drink I've ordered recently. Normally, I lift 30 lbs dumbbells for curls but last night I tried 35 lbs and did 4 sets of 10. The most I've done before was 2 sets of 8 but I was able to do it plus other tricep and shoulder moves. It's still too early to form my conclusion on this drink but I'm seeing some good results so far.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the plunge and doing the fit test tonight! I want to have it done before March 1 hits! Wish me luck, based on what I am reading I am nervous just for the test!
  • greeenerone
    Options
    I'm taking the plunge and doing the fit test tonight! I want to have it done before March 1 hits! Wish me luck, based on what I am reading I am nervous just for the test!

All the best.
    Do you plan to do the fit test and then start later?
  • allysonvb
    Options
    No, planned on starting March 1. I just feel like I need to get started a couple days early.
  • greeenerone
    Options
    No, planned on starting March 1. I just feel like I need to get started a couple days early.

Great. I hope you get addicted to the thrill of success after each work-out like I have and that it works for you.
  • allysonvb
    Options
    Did the fit test and half plyo cardio today. It's tough- the jack push-ups are the hardest for me. I only got 7.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    so in week two it lists Cardio Circuit. what cd is this?! is it the plyo cardio Circuit, max interval cardio circuit? I wasn't sure because I don't have just 'cardio circuit' but later in the week it asks me to do plyo cardio circuit.

eta, since my core cardio wasn't working still I did the Max Cardio workout and ZZZZOMG.

LOL
  • greeenerone
    Options
    I think it's the plyo cardio curcuit. Max is for month 2.
  • allysonvb
    Options
    so in week two it lists Cardio Circuit. what cd is this?! is it the plyo cardio Circuit, max interval cardio circuit? I wasn't sure because I don't have just 'cardio circuit' but later in the week it asks me to do plyo cardio circuit.

eta, since my core cardio wasn't working still I did the Max Cardio workout and ZZZZOMG.

LOL

The Plyo Cardio is no joke either! :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I made a serious mistake last week when I skipped Cardio Recovery and replaced it with P90X weight training. I was missing out on some fantastic core and endurance work!

wait till you see the second month. it was pretty challenging in plank/push up land, and for some reason it always kills my obliques and there really isn't that much obvious oblique work in it. and then there is this hip opener pose/pulsing thing that i'll just let you wait and discover for yourself lol.

I ended up doing a full body routine 2-3 times a week at the gym because i was affraid of losing muscle. it probably wasn't necessary and i didn't go crazy. the gym is one of the few places i go other then work lol, so i wanted to keep going.

Ok, last night i had shoulders and arms. i've been using this kind of steping stool to do the chair dips. a couple times in the past, i've kissed the lower step of the stool with my spine just barely. last night i slamed one of my lower vertibrae right on the lower step. made a crunchy, popy sound. sound alone would have made me cringe. it hurts today but i don't hink its serrious. i am going to find a chair instead lol.
  • proton77
    Options

LOL

It's the same as Plyometric Cardio Circuit :)