Daily protein too high on MFP?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, I didn't mean for this to turn into a giant debate. As far as getting my sources from "they" and the internet, the FDA says at least 50 grams. And Mayo Clinic say 10-35%.

When I started this question I hadn't seen the 10-35% information, just one source that said 46, which is why MFP's recommendation of 120 seemed so high. Now I know that I should get between 40 and 120 grams.

Again, MFP's recommendation isn't high. You changed your goals manually, changed them away from MFP's recommendations.
    MFP's standard recommendations are 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat. At 1600 calories thats only 60 grams of protein. You would have to be eating over 3000 calories to get a recommendation from MFP for 120 g of protein per day.

Or if you custom change your macros...

Yes, that was what I was getting at. Long shift = incomplete posts. It made sense in my head.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the perfect level of protein intake is, but you can absolutely get too much. If you get too much protein it can lead to renal failure, particularly if you don't drink enough water.

Not if you have no medical issue that requires you to limit protein such as already existing kidney issues.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    why is Bill Clinton alive today? He's a vegan. Doncha think he might have access to the very best information out there? If the science supported higher levels of protein, the dozens and dozens of doctors and scientists who support the China Study wouldn't do so. Or am I wrong about that?
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's only 66 years old and still SHOULD be alive...

you realize he had a massive heart attack right? and eating a plant-based diet has been proven to reverse heart disease.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    why is Bill Clinton alive today? He's a vegan. Doncha think he might have access to the very best information out there? If the science supported higher levels of protein, the dozens and dozens of doctors and scientists who support the China Study wouldn't do so. Or am I wrong about that?
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's only 66 years old and still SHOULD be alive...

you realize he had a massive heart attack right? and eating a plant-based diet has been proven to reverse heart disease.
    A lot of people have massive heart attacks and live on. My grandfather had a massive heart attack at 59 and lived on to die of cancer in his late 80s. Still ate a lot of meat every day for the rest of his life.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I work in the cancer field actually we tell our patient's on Chemo to eat more protein not less. Your information is not accurate. Also lean protein will not increase the risk of cancer. But nitrates and charred meat may increase the risk and that tends to be gastric cancer along with other risk factors

can you give me proof that my information is not accurate? it has 30 years worth or peer-reviewed studies behind it.

I already did, in a previous thread on this subject, I gave you the work already done to discredit this.

But I suggest you go and read Campbell's original research - look in particular at what happened to his low protein rats. They didn't develop cancer because they died of acute flavotoxin poisoning. And the flavotoxin levels were astronomical in that study.

Flawed study is flawed.

This. Glad you saved me the bother.
    Someone needs to go back and do more intense research rather than just reading a single book and proclaiming it as law.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I work in the cancer field actually we tell our patient's on Chemo to eat more protein not less. Your information is not accurate. Also lean protein will not increase the risk of cancer. But nitrates and charred meat may increase the risk and that tends to be gastric cancer along with other risk factors

can you give me proof that my information is not accurate? it has 30 years worth or peer-reviewed studies behind it.

I already did, in a previous thread on this subject, I gave you the work already done to discredit this.

But I suggest you go and read Campbell's original research - look in particular at what happened to his low protein rats. They didn't develop cancer because they died of acute flavotoxin poisoning. And the flavotoxin levels were astronomical in that study.

Flawed study is flawed.

Someone needs to go back and do more intense research rather than just reading a single book and proclaiming it as law.

regardless of what you think of it, the book still stands as the most comprehensive study of nutrition that's ever been done. yes, it's one book, but one book with almost a thousand citations and sources.

no other study has ever been done that comes close to matching it in terms of scope.

you don't have to believe it, and you don't have to live it, that's totally cool. it's your choice. but it has as much validity and credibility as any nutrition study that's been done to date. what does that mean? it means it's not proof, it's not a certainty, and nothing in the china study proves causation. but that's because it's impossible to prove causation in nutritional studies - but it is possible to show a very, very strong correlation, and that the china study does in spades.

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

A lot of people have massive heart attacks and live on. My grandfather had a massive heart attack at 59 and lived on to die of cancer in his late 80s. Still ate a lot of meat every day for the rest of his life.

good for him! some people get lucky. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Flawed study is flawed.

regardless of what you think of it, the book still stands as the most comprehensive study of nutrition that's ever been done. yes, it's one book, but one book with almost a thousand citations and sources.

no other study has ever been done that comes close to matching it in terms of scope.

you don't have to believe it, and you don't have to live it, that's totally cool. it's your choice. but it has as much validity and credibility as any nutrition study that's been done to date. what does that mean? it means it's not proof, it's not a certainty, and nothing in the china study proves causation. but that's because it's impossible to prove causation in nutritional studies - but it is possible to show a very, very strong correlation, and that the china study does in spades.

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.
    +

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Campbell-Masterjohn.html#redux
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Flawed study is flawed.

You also need to look at the limitations of the study as well as the cherry picking and information bias done rather than continually quoting is as 'proof' of anything, especially taking it as the panacea of nutritional information.

There have already been many references given that have discussed the flaws in the interpretation of the data. I suggest you read them.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

please tell me you're joking. That was written for sales to the middle masses, mass consumption. Please don't make me wall you again.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    there is a MASSIVE amount of science supporting it.

LOL. Did somebody really post this in the thread? Really??? If Bill Clinton and the China Study is all somebody has, he/she should lay down their guns and just surrender. Intelligent people have posted links to peer-reviewed clinical studies, and they get Bill Clinton and the China Study (which has been thoroughly debunked as cherry-picked junk science) in return. Wow.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    there is a MASSIVE amount of science supporting it.

LOL. Did somebody really post this in the thread? Really??? If Bill Clinton and the China Study is all somebody has, he/she should lay down their guns and just surrender. Intelligent people have posted links to peer-reviewed clinical studies, and they get Bill Clinton and the China Study (which has been thoroughly debunked as cherry-picked junk science) in return. Wow.

Nooooo! lol Milo agrees with me, he was just being funny. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Nooooo! lol Milo agrees with me, he was just being funny. ;)
    Ah, gotcha. My 'ignore this user' list causes me to miss at least part of the thread, so it gets a little disjointed at times. ;)
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I don't think that the declining health of the American population is due to excess protein consumption. I don't think the average American is eating 200+ grams of protein. When I think of the Standard American Diet, I think of a diet that consists largely of starches, oils, and sugars (pasta, pizza, deep-fried anything, chips, sodas, candy, etc). To blame the health of the American population on excess protein consumption is a leap that just doesn't even make sense to me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I don't think that the declining health of the American population is due to excess protein consumption. I don't think the average American is eating 200+ grams of protein. When I think of the Standard American Diet, I think of a diet that consists largely of starches, oils, and sugars (pasta, pizza, deep-fried anything, chips, sodas, candy, etc). To blame the health of the American population on excess protein consumption is a leap that just doesn't even make sense to me.

Exactly!
    (Not that I didn't agree with a ton of other posts as well)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Exactly! I'm shocked to find how very little protein there is in the foods that are cheaply and easily accessible by the general American population. I have to go out of my way to try to find foods that are high in protein.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Exactly! I'm shocked to find how very little protein there is in the foods that are cheaply and easily accessible by the general American population. I have to go out of my way to try to find foods that are high in protein.
    Agree 100%. The standard American diet is very high in carbohydrates and low in protein. As you said, I have to make a concerted, specific effort to hit my protein macro. Only somebody with an obvious, transparent (and thoroughly misguided) bias could point to protein as the cause of disease, obesity and/or declining health in the American population....most people don't get enough of it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Show 1 reference in a study where it's used by his peers. And I'm not talking about his best selling book The China Study, I'm talking about the raw data. You are biased, you have to believe everything unquestioning, otherwise cracks begin to form and things tumble down, that's what happens when someone, anyone, takes an extreme stance, they ignore all the other information/studies/critics just in case in throws a shadow of a doubt.......not a very good mindspace to be in imo. Do you really think if everything you think was actually true that all of the other people that disagree are just ill informed, uneducated, or haven't seen the light yet. lol
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

I'm trying to figure out what exactly you eat. You seem to be opposed to dairy and animal protein. What does that leave? Fruits and vegetables? You can find fault with everything. I don't think that eating a healthy, balanced diet is the culprit. We are all going to die at some point.