Daily protein too high on MFP?

Options

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, I didn't mean for this to turn into a giant debate. As far as getting my sources from "they" and the internet, the FDA says at least 50 grams. And Mayo Clinic say 10-35%.

When I started this question I hadn't seen the 10-35% information, just one source that said 46, which is why MFP's recommendation of 120 seemed so high. Now I know that I should get between 40 and 120 grams.

An OP not looking to create drama - LOVE it!
    Just my two cents... I'm trying very hard to eat more protein and I've found it has helped (immensely) with controlling cravings and hunger while on a deficit.

Best of luck to you!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.

You should probably take an intro statistics course before making statements like this little gem. And of course a refresher on logical fallacies and argumentation.

yeah that sounds boring.

It may be boring, but it may also lay a foundation to help make you sound like you at least have an inkling as to what you're spouting off. Currently all you seem to do is cherry pick the parts of a limited amount of debunked research in an attempt to support your ideas. At least if your stats made sense your line of bs would appear credible.

But hey, Bill Clinton is alive so that proves something. Personally I think that it proves that getting bj's may extend your life expectency as you have someting to live for.

nothing in nutrition has, or ever will be officially "proven". it's simply all a conglomeration of studies that have a high correlation. thus why there are so many opinions, nutrition plans, fad diets, etc, etc.

If you, and anyone else on these boards, want to think that a massive increase in meat consumption has absolutely nothing to do with the current health crisis in America, that's your prerogative.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The consumption of fruits and vegetables also increased since the 1970's. I think I am going to decide to blame the 'health crisis' on that!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh, and milk consumption decreased!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The consumption of fruits and vegetables also increased since the 1970's. I think I am going to decide to blame the 'health crisis' on that!

welp. that is an option. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.

You should probably take an intro statistics course before making statements like this little gem. And of course a refresher on logical fallacies and argumentation.

yeah that sounds boring.

It may be boring, but it may also lay a foundation to help make you sound like you at least have an inkling as to what you're spouting off. Currently all you seem to do is cherry pick the parts of a limited amount of debunked research in an attempt to support your ideas. At least if your stats made sense your line of bs would appear credible.

But hey, Bill Clinton is alive so that proves something. Personally I think that it proves that getting bj's may extend your life expectency as you have someting to live for.

nothing in nutrition has, or ever will be officially "proven". it's simply all a conglomeration of studies that have a high correlation. thus why there are so many opinions, nutrition plans, fad diets, etc, etc.

If you, and anyone else on these boards, want to think that a massive increase in meat consumption has absolutely nothing to do with the current health crisis in America, that's your prerogative.

Here, I think you may find this helpful while making your next agrument:

w1467103173.jpg

I just think it's rather ridiculous of you to blame it on an increase in protein without considering differently we treat our sources of food now than our food sources 100 years ago. You're honing in on one aspect of a diet without even considering the variables involved in sourcing that diet. It's an ignorant perspective, as our food does not exist in a bubble. When you consider the health of a populous you also have to consider the engineering of the food.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

yeah that sounds boring.

Here, I think you may find this helpful while making your next agrument:

w1467103173.jpg

I just think it's rather ridiculous of you to blame it on an increase in protein without considering differently we treat our sources of food now than our food sources 100 years ago. You're honing in on one aspect of a diet without even considering the variables involved in sourcing that diet. It's an ignorant perspective, as our food does not exist in a bubble. When you consider the health of a populous you also have to consider the engineering of the food.

i... completely agree... when did i say that the increase in meat was the ONLY factor? in fact somewhere in this thread I said that it's simply one of many factors.

In a thread about daily protein intake requirements, I'm not going to talk about GMOs, processed foods, hydrogenated vegetable oils, etc, etc

But from the sound of it, you would like me to. Though I'm sure many here would disagree. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I just think it's rather ridiculous of you to blame it on an increase in protein without considering differently we treat our sources of food now than our food sources 100 years ago. You're honing in on one aspect of a diet without even considering the variables involved in sourcing that diet. It's an ignorant perspective, as our food does not exist in a bubble....
    Google "confirmation bias".
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I just think it's rather ridiculous of you to blame it on an increase in protein without considering differently we treat our sources of food now than our food sources 100 years ago. You're honing in on one aspect of a diet without even considering the variables involved in sourcing that diet. It's an ignorant perspective, as our food does not exist in a bubble....

y'all should do the same. there are studies to support whatever you're looking to support. whether that goes for you crazy IIFYM folks or the loony vegetables-are-healthier-than-meat people like me.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I get over 126 grams of protein a day between breakfast and lunch. So i usually end the day around 160-180. Long story short... protein is pretty much awesome so don't skimp on it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

y'all should do the same. there are studies to support whatever you're looking to support. whether that goes for you crazy IIFYM folks or the loony vegetables-are-healthier-than-meat people like me.

That's why you look at the entirety of evidence available not single studies, but you did scoff at a meta analysis so I guess that's not really your style
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's why you look at the entirety of evidence available not single studies, but you did scoff at a meta analysis so I guess that's not really your style

lol ok fair - you got me. Now that I know you've read every one of the hundred thousand nutrition studies that have ever been done, I bow to your infinite wisdom.

just seems odd that so many professional nutritionists and doctors disagree with you...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

lol ok fair - you got me. Now that I know you've read every one of the hundred thousand nutrition studies that have ever been done, I bow to your infinite wisdom.

just seems odd that so many professional nutritionists and doctors disagree with you...

and many agree.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of puzzled why anyone is citing the population of 100 years ago as any kind of paragon of health. Life expectancy at birth (cohort) in Britain 1913: Men 56, Women, 62.

Cancer rates probably lower because most people died before they could die of cancer.

A large proportion of the working class population were malnourished....
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    why is Bill Clinton alive today? He's a vegan. Doncha think he might have access to the very best information out there? If the science supported higher levels of protein, the dozens and dozens of doctors and scientists who support the China Study wouldn't do so. Or am I wrong about that?
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's only 66 years old and still SHOULD be alive...

you realize he had a massive heart attack right? and eating a plant-based diet has been proven to reverse heart disease.

OR maybe just dieting in general would do that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    why is Bill Clinton alive today? He's a vegan. Doncha think he might have access to the very best information out there? If the science supported higher levels of protein, the dozens and dozens of doctors and scientists who support the China Study wouldn't do so. Or am I wrong about that?
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's only 66 years old and still SHOULD be alive...

you realize he had a massive heart attack right? and eating a plant-based diet has been proven to reverse heart disease.

lol not at all true. you can be on a "diet" and eat tons of artery clogging foods. just ask the ketogenic fans on the boards. (though they'll scream that cholesterol doesn't clog arteries)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

and many agree.

how many nutritional classes are doctors required to take throughout their decade of training?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

and many agree.

how many nutritional classes are doctors required to take throughout their decade of training?

Very few unless they specialize ...but I am not sure what point you are trying to make...but if you feel like it, you can insult my comprehension skills again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

lol not at all true. you can be on a "diet" and eat tons of artery clogging foods. just ask the ketogenic fans on the boards. (though they'll scream that cholesterol doesn't clog arteries)

So, losing weight does not improve health markers?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

So, losing weight does not improve health markers?

how many athletes dying of heart attacks do I need to list to prove that being a "healthy" weight =/= actual health