Daily protein too high on MFP?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.

I don't think that the declining health of the American population is due to excess protein consumption. I don't think the average American is eating 200+ grams of protein. When I think of the Standard American Diet, I think of a diet that consists largely of starches, oils, and sugars (pasta, pizza, deep-fried anything, chips, sodas, candy, etc). To blame the health of the American population on excess protein consumption is a leap that just doesn't even make sense to me.

the average american is eating 500% more meat than they did 100 years ago. but yes, absolutely processed foods have also played a massive role. I'm not saying it's one thing specifically or the other, but dairy, meat, wheat, processed junk, they've all contributed.

Source please.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-(per-capita)-data-system.aspx#26705

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Food_Availabily_Per_Capita_Data_System/Food_Availability/mtpcc.xls

do your sources ever talk about the actual issue you want them to cover? or do you just bank on the fact that no one actually clicks them?

we're not talking about food availability, we're talking about consumption.

"The ERS Food Availability (Per Capita) Data System includes three distinct but related data series on food and nutrient availability for consumption. The data serve as popular proxies for actual consumption."

From your very own link

"To look at U.S. meat consumption components and trends in more detail, we referenced food availability data (also known as U.S. Food Supply Data or Disappearance Data) from the USDA Economic Research Service (ERS"

Might want to read your own links before posting them

yep. it was something they referenced, and i'm pretty sure it didn't make up the whole story. it was PART of their research. it was all of your offering, and on its own, not particularly helpful.

I found it very helpful (and I was the one asking). If you would like to provide your own source for your statement however, that would be fantastic.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    MFP is actually way too low. We should be getting about .8 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

This is what my trainer told me, and I now tell my clients. 1 gram of protein per lb you weigh.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Why have there been no 30 year studies about the affect of high protein diets on cancer/disease? Oh... wait... there have been... it's called the declining health of the American population. It's simply common sense.

I don't think that the declining health of the American population is due to excess protein consumption. I don't think the average American is eating 200+ grams of protein. When I think of the Standard American Diet, I think of a diet that consists largely of starches, oils, and sugars (pasta, pizza, deep-fried anything, chips, sodas, candy, etc). To blame the health of the American population on excess protein consumption is a leap that just doesn't even make sense to me.

the average american is eating 500% more meat than they did 100 years ago. but yes, absolutely processed foods have also played a massive role. I'm not saying it's one thing specifically or the other, but dairy, meat, wheat, processed junk, they've all contributed.

Source please.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-(per-capita)-data-system.aspx#26705

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Food_Availabily_Per_Capita_Data_System/Food_Availability/mtpcc.xls

do your sources ever talk about the actual issue you want them to cover? or do you just bank on the fact that no one actually clicks them?

So how exactly will the stats in the links translate to a 500 x higher consumption than availability? Are you saying that the 30% increase in availability can possibly translate into a 500% increase in actual consumption? Where was this extra 470% obtained from? Must be some kind of sorcery!

aww, you didn't even bother to read my post. cute. :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Another source says that a relatively inactive adult should get 0.4 times their body weight. Which would mean, on days I don't exercise, 80 is perfectly fine for me, if not more than I need. MFP seems to be set really really high.
    80 sounds good to me on non exercise days. I generally do 120g myself and it works well for me. I'm inactive due to illness right now though and have had advice that I don't need to hit 120g whilst inactive. Got to be honest though I feel very hungry when I don't!

Your getting 120 because that is what you set your percentages at. MFP will have originally given you a much lower goal.

Zara
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Source please.

"The ERS Food Availability (Per Capita) Data System includes three distinct but related data series on food and nutrient availability for consumption. The data serve as popular proxies for actual consumption."

From your very own link

"To look at U.S. meat consumption components and trends in more detail, we referenced food availability data (also known as U.S. Food Supply Data or Disappearance Data) from the USDA Economic Research Service (ERS"

yep. it was something they referenced, and i'm pretty sure it didn't make up the whole story. it was PART of their research. it was all of your offering, and on its own, not particularly helpful.

I found it very helpful (and I was the one asking). If you would like to provide your own source for your statement however, that would be fantastic.

already did. might wanna whip out those reading glasses.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Source please.

From your very own link

Try reading your link again, of their data sources they listed only 1 went back 100yrs, guess which one?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Source please.

I misread whatever source I found that said 500%. Apparently the suggestion was that chicken consumption alone has risen a staggering amount, but that total meat consumption is only up 200%

regardless... that's still 200%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045642/

Where are you getting 200% from?

The last time I looked, going from approx 150g to 250g was not a 200% increase - you may want to whip out a calculator a long with those reading glasses.

Pro tip: when something is doubled - it is a 100% increase, not a 200% increase....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Source please.

From your very own link

already did. might wanna whip out those reading glasses.

Ironic post is ironic.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Um so yeah anyway, back on topic...

I agree MFP protein is too low. I always *try* for 100 but it is very hard. I find fish pulls it up a lot for me (I am gluten and dairy free and try my best to avoid red meat like the plague these days, no good comes of it). Tofu is good too!

Just ordered some protein shakes (low carb of course) from online so fingers crossed! 12 hours until it arrives, I love Japan shipping.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    MFP is recommending 72 grams a day for me based on my inputs, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends 56 grams for people my gender and age.

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein Grams of protein
    needed each day
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

Here are examples of amounts of protein in food:
    1 cup of milk has 8 grams of protein
    A 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein
    1 cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein
    An 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Source please.

I misread whatever source I found that said 500%. Apparently the suggestion was that chicken consumption alone has risen a staggering amount, but that total meat consumption is only up 200%

The last time I looked, going from approx 150g to 250g was not a 200% increase - you may want to whip out a calculator a long with those reading glasses.

hahaha this is why I'm an actor and not a statistician. it wasn't a reading problem, it was a "I haven't taken a math class since high school" problem. :P Doubling =/= 200% though that's what I was claiming.

tileshop.fcgi?p=PMC3&id=523081&s=24&r=2&c=2

From lowest point to highest, it goes from about 125g in 1937 to 250g now, which is twice as much.

EDIT: well that graph isn't entirely helpful... but here's the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045642/figure/F2/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Source please.

hahaha this is why I'm an actor and not a statistician. it wasn't a reading problem, it was a "I haven't taken a math class since high school" problem. :P Doubling =/= 200% though that's what I was claiming.

From lowest point to highest, it goes from about 125g in 1937 to 250g now, which is twice as much.

EDIT: well that graph isn't entirely helpful... but here's the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045642/figure/F2/

Yes, I actually looked at the graph the first time I responded, hence my earlier comment...which you responded to by using a not so veiled insult about me needing reading glasses..feeling a bit silly now are we?

So, we have gone from 500%, to 200% to 100% now...are you good with that, or are you going to change again..?.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Source please.

Yes, I actually looked at the graph, hence my earlier comment.

So, we have gone from 500%, to 200% to 100% now...are you good with that, or are you going to change again..?.

please tell me your secret. how is it that you've never once in your life made a mistake!!?!?!?

I'm truly in awe.

but seriously your holier-than-thou act is getting a bit stale.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Source please.

Hmmmm I wonder what was going on in the US economy in the early to mid 1930's
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Source please.

Yes, I actually looked at the graph, hence my earlier comment.

please tell me your secret. how is it that you've never once in your life made a mistake!!?!?!?

I'm truly in awe.

but seriously your holier-than-thou act is getting a bit stale.

Nice retort...well presented. Maybe if you didn't start using passive-aggressive techniques by, for example, insulting people's reading skills when you do keep making these mistakes (it's a recurring theme in your posts), you would get along much better.

Oh, and nice admission to your completely uncalled for insult about my reading skills..apology accepted...oh wait....
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why is anyone bothering responding to this guy? I've never seen him make one post where he makes sense and yet people keep letting him bait them.

I've never really been 100% sure he is a troll until I saw his - Bill Clinton is alive therefore protein is bad - comment.

We can see from his profile pic what the effects of low protein are :ohwell: - that is enough argument for me to keep on with 1-1.5g/lb LBM.

lol if you saw my before's you'd think differently. i'm genetically skinny, crazy high metabolism. for me to put on weight/muscle i need to eat a TON of food.

regardless, my views on health and food are actually incredibly mainstream, but for some reason this board is full of ketogenic disciples, fad diets, and everyone trying to lose weight the fastest they possibly can regardless of health. you don't wanna read my posts, then hit ignore. Anvil does and it works great. :)

Look at my before pic(s?). 140lbs to 192lbs helped in no small part to all the protein I've had...and I'm still alive - proof if ever there was any that protein doesn't kill you!

Your views tend to stray drastically away from mainstream I have found, as evidenced by this bout of scaremongering. Most people on here will advocate a good split, normally in the rough area of 33/33/33.

I wonder how much protein there is in Shakeology....
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

You should probably take an intro statistics course before making statements like this little gem. And of course a refresher on logical fallacies and argumentation.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Why is anyone bothering responding to this guy? I've never seen him make one post where he makes sense and yet people keep letting him bait them.

I've never really been 100% sure he is a troll until I saw his - Bill Clinton is alive therefore protein is bad - comment.

We can see from his profile pic what the effects of low protein are :ohwell: - that is enough argument for me to keep on with 1-1.5g/lb LBM.

lol if you saw my before's you'd think differently. i'm genetically skinny, crazy high metabolism. for me to put on weight/muscle i need to eat a TON of food.

regardless, my views on health and food are actually incredibly mainstream, but for some reason this board is full of ketogenic disciples, fad diets, and everyone trying to lose weight the fastest they possibly can regardless of health. you don't wanna read my posts, then hit ignore. Anvil does and it works great. :)

Look at my before pic(s?). 140lbs to 192lbs helped in no small part to all the protein I've had...and I'm still alive - proof if ever there was any that protein doesn't kill you!

Your views tend to stray drastically away from mainstream I have found, as evidenced by this bout of scaremongering. Most people on here will advocate a good split, normally in the rough area of 33/33/33.

I wonder how much protein there is in Shakeology....

1) 16-18g and there are vegan options so we're good to go on that front. :)

2) I've always been of the same opinion till very recently. I used to do 40/30/30 and with further research I'm now doing something like 55/15/30 to see what affect it has. If I don't feel better and get the results I want, I'll consider changing it again.

3) the mainstream says that eating whole foods, more veggies and whole grains is preferable to eating diets high in meats, fats, and processed foods. this is what I believe as well. But there are a TON of people on these boards that subscribe to the IIFYM school of thought, and I personally believe that to be damaging to peoples' health long-term.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You should probably take an intro statistics course before making statements like this little gem. And of course a refresher on logical fallacies and argumentation.

yeah that sounds boring.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

yeah that sounds boring.

It may be boring, but it may also lay a foundation to help make you sound like you at least have an inkling as to what you're spouting off. Currently all you seem to do is cherry pick the parts of a limited amount of debunked research in an attempt to support your ideas. At least if your stats made sense your line of bs would appear credible.

But hey, Bill Clinton is alive so that proves something. Personally I think that it proves that getting bj's may extend your life expectency as you have someting to live for.