Any chubbies at your gym?

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am a "gym chubby". I dont pay any attention to anyone at the gym. I put on my headphones (so I cant hear their awful music), listen to my playlist and do my thing. No one is looking at me....no one cares about anything except their own workout. So just go! :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Just go. We're all there for the same reason...to look good nekkid!!!

Honestly, I don't (and hope no one else really does...) judge folks at the gym. Some are skinny, some are fat, some athletic, some old and decrepit... Doesn't matter.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Heck yes. I am one of them, and I kill it when I am in the zone. Once you take that first step into lifting, you forget who is around, and you're just waiting on the next person to get out of your way to do your own thing. Forget what you may thing others are thinking, saying, looking, etc. You are there for you. I too, felt a bit nervous to go hit the free weights section, but just get over your own fears. It's yourself that is preventing you from doing it, not the other person.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    any suggestions on how to get my nerve up and get in there???

Yes, there are all body types at my gym.... Years ago, there was a girl at my old gym who is one of those perfect little "Barbie" types, and I hated her on sight. For some reason we were next to each other on the treadmills one day and got to talking. Long story short...she's now my #1 workout buddy (we're at a different gym now and workout together almost every day). She has been a very supportive, non-judgmental and encouraging friend when it comes to fitness and weight loss.

So don't pre-judge t he people who are already shape, because, while there are some jerks out there, most of them probably aren't going to judge you!
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It looks like you already have a lot of good advice. I am not just shy, but have agoraphobia. Lived in a motor home in Dad's back yard for 6 years and went out only for doctors appointments and one grocery store that was small enough I could manage.

So I understand how hard it is to go anywhere, much less a gym when you're overweight and think people will judge you.

What I've learned, over many many years, is that the only way to overcome a fear is to confront it. Set your mind and go to the gym. If people notice you, they are probably going to think that there is someone trying to improve yourself. If someone judges you, so what. People who matter don't mind, and people who mind don't matter.

It sounds trite, but sometimes to do have to "Just Do It." Set your mind that you will go to the gym and then go.
  • ChrisRiches
    ChrisRiches Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way too. Then my husband said to me: "When you see someone running or at the gym who is very heavy, what do you think?"

I sadi: I think "Good for them - that's awesome".

That's what real people will think of you.

And if there is anyone out there who would think otherwise - they are not worth the time of day. And certainly not important enough in your life to keep you from achieving your golas and dreams.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they did."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

LOVE this quote!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yep. ME lol- I used to be afraid of going to the gym too- and when I start at a new gym I have to go through the same head game- BUT I LOVE the gym now. You will too once you get started.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    <--- still needs to lose at least 40 lbs. I figure if someone is in the gym wasting their time judging me because I'm not perfectly fit already, they are a$$hats anyway and what do I care about their opinion.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. Get you some headphones and listen to music or a book on tape and just ignore everyone else. Doing something simple will help you relax and make the time go faster. Besides, soon you will be one of the trim ones and someone new will be thinking the same thing about you that you are thinking now.:wink:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yup...me.
  • CheChe518
    Options
    Yup, it's a lot of chubbies at my gym,including me... I love seeing my fellow chubbies ( is that right to say:indifferent: ) getting it in! Inspires me more. lol
  • KageyKat
    Options
    I don't go the gym anymore because of an incident that happened. I tend to carry my weight in my tummy area. I had been to this place for several weeks and was feeling good about working out. Well one day in the middle of my workout a woman stopped me and said that I shouldn't be working out so hard since I was PG and when was my baby due, was not PG!!!!!! Find it hard to go back so have equipment at home and still making progress.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I paid for personal training sessions so I was committed to get my butt in gear.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am one of the chubbies at my gym. There are ppl bigger than me, ppl a LOT bigger than me, and ppl a LOT smaller than me, and some folks who actually act like they know what they are doing around the weight benches - they are more intimidating to me!

I too have "gym-phobia" when starting out, or coming back after a lengthy away time (I was out nearly 4 months due to surgery and my daughter having her baby.) Going in for the first time is ALWAYS hard, going back was just as hard. But going on that second day is easier than Day 1, and day 3 is WAY easier and it just gets better once you see you aren't a "chubby" just simply someone trying to improve your life. Believe me, ppl silently applaud folks like you (and me.)

There is a new guy at my gym, who does nothing but walk laps. (at least as far as I have seen.) He doesn't get on the treadmill, or bikes, and I haven't seen him use any of the strength equipment. He just spends a long time doing laps at his own pace. He walks with confidence and fits in. I admire him, and hope I get to see him more often as I increase my own gym time :)

Maybe you going in will inspire someone else to try harder, to invest just as much time and effort as you are. Only one way to find out - get off your butt, stop making excuses and get in there ;-)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Me :wink:
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You're going for you...nobody else. So just do it ;)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your gym, but at mine it seems, Saturday mid-day is when the 75+ crowd shows up, diligently working out in jeans, Rockports, fanny packs, and sweatbands. I love working out with those guys! I'm fat, they're old, and we're both trying to be healthy together. Fabulous. :-)

Seriously though, the more time you spend at the gym, the more you notice the non-young, non-trim people who are there, and who do come regularly. I too am intimidated by the super fitness buffs and feel like a tool next to them, but there are "regular" people there too! After a while I do feel like I fit in at the gym. (by no means do I mean to insinuate that fitness buffs are not regular people...they are, they just happen to be superior to many in the area of fitness :-)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    IT WAS ONE TIME AND I THOUGHT I HID IT WELL, DAMNIT!

oh...you meant something else...ummmmmmm

/runs
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    Given the six pages of responses I'm sure this has been mentioned. But I've found that at every gym I've ever gone to, with is pretty much the 24 Hour brand, but all through southern California and the Portland Metro area, that no one is paying attention to anyone but themselves. In the nicest way possible, no one will notice you. :)

And in case they do notice, read this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html