Left Handed Compliment. Who's getting them....

Options

Replies

• missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is not quite on topic but I have a neighbor who said dont get rid of your bigger clothes because you will regain the weight. I think not. It is the best inspiration to stay on track.

I've heard this too! I will save one pair of pants for when I can't hold them on in comparison pics later.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A coworker once said "You're not fat anymore."

When I was offended he said "What? I always said you were pretty to make you feel good about yourself when you were bigger."

*sigh*
  • TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My friend is going to start taking the same tablets as me ( liver detox) cause that's why i have been loosing weight :(
    It has nothing to do with eating healthy and exercising everyday lol
  • kibenson
    kibenson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "You've lost weight" said accusary not complimentary.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My sweet sons (4.5 year old boys) say "Mommy, you work so hard so you're belly isn't fat anymore" Or "Mom you have to run so you're not so cranky."

Lol. It actually makes me put my shoulders back and say "YEP!"
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I get something like this a lot:

Nice arms , what celltech do you use?

• Strobins05
    Options
    I'm a teacher and recently one of my kiddos said " You didn't like being fat"!!!!

My 5 year old son told his cousin, " my mommy does excercise so you can be skinny like your mommy"!

:)

^^ LMBO, love this!!! Too funny and cute at the same time.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My exboyfriend once told me "How are you losing all this weight? I don't date girls with eating disorders, you know." Umm...yeaah...and he also had an overeating disorder, which he didn't categorize as an 'eating disorder' apparently.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    It wasn't said directly to my face, but a co-worker said to my best friend (about me)

"Hey, so, has Amy started smoking meth? Because she's really starting to look skinny"
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do ya say Thank You after that, I don't know?

"Hey, you're not as fat as you used to be"
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My mother's, what I call "Back-handed" compliment, was always..... "..... but you have such a pretty face." Which, in translation means, "You are so fat, but you have such a pretty face.".. or "you are so pretty but you cover it up with all that fat." ... UGH
  • TxLdy3
    TxLdy3 Posts: 31
    Options
    Gotta LOVE the neighbors that you see all the time telling you now how good you look !! AS if I didn't before???? Or the age old "Honey, you are SO PRETTY If you just lost some weight ....
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    At this point, I would like even a back handed compliment!
    Granted, I've only lost 19-20 pounds... but that is a big difference. It should be noticeable in some fashion, right?
    I wait and wait and wait to hear someone say SOMETHING.
    Seriously.

Either the people around me have noticed and they just don't want to say anything...
    or I carried those extra 20 pounds really really well and people really haven't noticed. :)
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was at my goal weight back in 2007 and living with a close friend of mine who has always struggled with her weight. She tried, it seemed, to deter me every step of the way and when I finally got to goal, she just started being mean. She told me I looked like Nicole Richie once (during her eating disorder days) and mocked my "tiny" body to my sister. Her lack of support was awful and we eventually had a falling out due to it, at least in part.

Most people who say these cruel things to people who are losing weight are jealous and insecure and you have to recognize that. Only a few of them are informed enough to actually be worried. Remember that the USA has an obesity epidemic – many people don't even realize what a healthy body looks like, let alone a healthy meal.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    From a middle aged co-worker:

Wow, you have such a shapely waist NOW. It's so well defined NOW. Yada, yada, yada. She went on for a few minutes about how great I looked now that I actually have a waist. I can't remember exactly how she said it, but there were numerous references to my big old former gut. Apparently, it was so obnoxious it was worth going on and on about now that it's shrunk.

Thanks...NOT.

I'm also getting a lot of the "how much more do you want to lose--you're going to fade away". I have a good 50 pounds to my initial goal, and I'll still be overweight when I get to that point. No chance I'll be blowing away in the breeze :-)

I do think those comments are based on insecurities. I was the biggest person at work, and now that I'm not anymore, well, no one else wants that label either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    At this point, I would like even a back handed compliment!
    Granted, I've only lost 19-20 pounds... but that is a big difference. It should be noticeable in some fashion, right?
    I wait and wait and wait to hear someone say SOMETHING.
    Seriously.

Either the people around me have noticed and they just don't want to say anything...
    or I carried those extra 20 pounds really really well and people really haven't noticed. :)

A lot of people are just generally uncomfortable commenting on another's weight, even if it's to compliment. They may also be unsure if you're having a health issue or are genuinely losing weight with proper diet and exercise...they're afraid that their compliment will be mis-interpreted...i.e. "wow...you lost some weight"..."so what...you thought I was ugly and fat before?"...that kind of thing. A lot of people are just generally uncomfortable commenting on weight.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    My face is longish and always "skinnier"...I actually had a friend tell me not to lose any more weight from my face! WTH...i'm BOTTOM heavy....it'll go from where it goes from...EVENTUALLY maybe it will go from my thighs and butt ;) Really though!
    I would've said "You can choose where to lose weight from? Hmmm I never knew that. Maybe you should try to lose some weight. From your FAT MOUTH!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Very true.... but just like everyone who has made positive changes and has worked hard to do it.... I think it is nice to know when someone notices. :)
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I once lost 30+ lbs, and went to a party where an uncle started out saying how much better I looked, then turned to his new girlfriend and started loudly (in that just-drunk-enough-to-not-know-how-loud-I'm-talking way) proclaiming "You should've SEEN what a porker she was before! Seriously, she used to EAT! But now she's doing better. Keep it up, kid!" He seriously had no idea how humiliating that was. At least his girlfriend had the decency to look uncomfortable at that point.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!