Left Handed Compliment. Who's getting them....

Options

Replies

• alowry007
    alowry007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I thought they were "back handed compliments" but either way.

I have a friend that always says "You look hungry."
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    "Hey, you're not as fat as you used to be"
    I have heard this one...
  • thethinnydiaries
    Options
    Now that my weight loss has finally started actually showing, one of my friends said something along the lines "good, now that you're getting skinny I can say this and not feel bad... You really needed to lose the weight. But you're starting to look so good! Keep it up!"

I know she had only the best intentions for that, but it kind of hurt. Especially since I haven't lost that much and am still really self conscious. :/
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Haha my step-dad: You look great how you are, guys like thick girls. Uhhh NOT getting in shape for anyone but myself, thanks! ;)
  • kaycepo
    kaycepo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At Christmas my grandma says to me "you look great but you don't need to lose anymore you will start looking old" I AM ONLY 35!!!!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I had someone say Oh wow you are not as fat as you used to be and then drew in the air their interpretation of the fat on my face as they used to see it!
  • buffalowings78
    buffalowings78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on such incredible change- 131 # - wow!!!
  • buffalowings78
    buffalowings78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The absolute worst ones for me are any comments (directed at me or not) about looking like a man, getting too muscular, losing "curves" (ie. fat boobs and fat butt). I don't recall it being acceptable to tell people they had too many curves, too much cellulite, were too weak, flabby or untoned, etc.

I agree, these people are all jealous, because you are proof that they - if they made the right decisions and worked hard - could also be in good shape and they have no one to blame but themselves. To make themselves feel better, they convince themselves that they are "superior" because they have giant boobs (which are really just all fat) or they have a "youthfully fat" face, etc. Please!
  • CallmeFrida
    CallmeFrida Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I enjoy people who ask are you on a diet. I usually respond nope I'm just eating healthy and then I show them what I eat in a day and they're amazed with how much I eat. Eating 1700-2100 calories of non junk is hard to do!!

love this one^^
  • MrsSummerM
    Options
    Everytime I start to lose weight, my grandmother starts shoving food at me. She sends me home with cookies, candy, pop tarts, and a ton of left overs from dinner. When I put weight on, she tells me that I am too pretty to be fat.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    "You look great. Your husband better watch out." Like, what, my morals and my love for my husband are embedded in my fat? I know they actually mean to compliment me but...yikes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My mother was kind enough to point out that I "have less of a muffin top". My dad just said I look great. I choose to listen to my dad.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think I've gotten all the left handed comments.....

On a related note"

When people finally started commenting and asking what I was doing they seemed so sad and disappointed when I said 'eating less and moving more' that I came up with a new more exciting answer for them. I tell them it's crack cocaine and wild sex. Gets their attention and shuts them up!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Mom - You look absolutely terrible. (said it to me three times in a matter of an hour. Until I told her to shut the *kitten* up. Yes, I said that to my 76 year old mother)
    Friends- You have an eating disorder.
    Please stop losing weight(I have been the same weight since October)
    You'll gain it all back. And then some.
    Work Friends - Do you have cancer?
    Are you dieing?
    Where do we get the drugs you are using?
    When did you turn gay and get the AIDS?
    People that have NEVER met me and hear these comments, scratch their heads and tell me I look awesome.

I prefer to listen to the people I have never met.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

WHAT???? :noway:

What kind of ignorant schmucks surround you?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

LMAO. You have NOOOO idea how many people have asked me that question. I never said they were intelligent.

PS. I love the use of the word SCHMUCK. You must be a transplanted New Yorker.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

LMAO. You have NOOOO idea how many people have asked me that question. I never said they were intelligent.

I've only been there once! My family is from the midwest, I live in the south but I was born in Los Angeles; fair bit of Yiddish use there. :)

I'm still stuck on weight loss = sexuality change/ AIDS. Because science? :huh:
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options

I've only been there once! My family is from the midwest, I live in the south but I was born in Los Angeles; fair bit of Yiddish use there. :)

I'm still stuck on weight loss = sexuality change/ AIDS. Because science? :huh:

Yeah, that kind of commentary takes a special kind of schmuckery. You need new friends, dude. (And I'm from the Cali coast, but still copiously use "schmuck". And "dude".)
  • amydriesbaugh
    amydriesbaugh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My MIL hugged me and said in my ear," Wow! You are so small and your face is drawn now. You look old."

B%tchy

that is just so wrong!!!
  • KellyJessen
    KellyJessen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was told my weight loss was making me look like a "normal person". Although, that was from my daughter, who is 5 :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!