Who else isn't afraid of consuming fat?

Options

Replies

• Pramps
    Pramps Posts: 23
    Options
    Consuming too much makes us fat.

Carbs have a purpose. Fats have a purpose. What they have in common is they both can be used as fuel.

How much you consume of each should be based on your activity levels and your goals.

A blanket instruction to everyone to eat low carbs and lots of good fats is not the wisest. Better strategy would be to apply basic scientific ( not subjective) fundamentals of nutrition, personalize them to your goals, check-in & adjust periodicAlly to understand how YOUR body reacts and then you will be in a better position to unlock YOUR body's potential.

No I am not afraid of fat.

For TTD (Type Two Diabetics), this is not the case. Empty carbs are the enemy. What is good for me, might not benefit you. :)
  • Kimmy_927
    Kimmy_927 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As long as it's healthy fat, like from avocados or salmon. I love protein. It's so filling
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of fat, carbs, or protein...I eat them all within the limits of my macro goals.

^^^^ This ^^^^
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'd eat nuts and peanut butter all the day if they weren't expensive at my place :D
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't even trim it off my steak. I eat it, just as nature intended. And it's good. And my heart is still beating. And I'm losing weight like crazy.

Yeah---they learned a long time ago that eating cholesterol does NOT raise blood cholesterol levels (the liver MAKES abundant cholesterol all by itself). Nor do high cholesterol levels create heart disease. It is cholesterol that is used by the body to put a "patch" on lesions that have formed in the blood vessels due to inflammatory processes. And that inflammation is largely caused by our crappy high carb diets. The metabolizing of table sugar, contributes greatly to forming Advanced Glycation Endproducts (the initials A,G,E are exactly what they do to your body's cells).

Getting back to the subject of low-fat eating, it has been terrible for the national waistline (the food processors took out the fat and put in sugar and starch) and it has NOT prevented an increase in diabetes rates (many diabetes researchers say that obesity and Type II diabetes is essentially the same disease--referring to it as "diabesity"). Our ancestors ate a lot of fat (at least as much or more than most of us do) and yet they were quite thin. The difference between us and them (other than the much greater exercise they got through doing heavy manual labor) is that they didn't eat sugar. Our yearly per capita consumption of sugar went from less than 5 pounds in 1900 to 150 pounds today. We get only about 40% from eating sugary foods---the rest is hidden in processed food.

p.s. Don't get me wrong---there is nothing wrong with healthy carbs--they have a "muscle-sparing" effect that is quite necessary if you want to build muscle. It is the amount and the type that tends to be the problem. Because simple carbs tend to be "addictive" we eat far too many of them as a proportion of our diets.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have to eat fat or my blood cholesterol and triglycerides drop low. I try to eat good fats like canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds, natural peanut butter, etc.

Sorry, but canola oil is NOT a good fat.

Good fats don't require processing with Hexane (solvent derived from gasoline) and Sodium Hydroxide (drain cleaner).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I have to eat fat or my blood cholesterol and triglycerides drop low. I try to eat good fats like canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds, natural peanut butter, etc.

Sorry, but canola oil is NOT a good fat.

Good fats don't require processing with Hexane (solvent derived from gasoline) and Sodium Hydroxide (drain cleaner).

Yes--healthy oils are cold-pressed. Chemical extraction leaves traces in the oils.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I hate fat on meat and will trim it away if it's too prevalent for me, but a good diet requires fat intake and I have no qualms with it especially from good sources!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Not afraid at all - raw cashews, almonds, coconut oil, olive oil etc. are enjoyed on a daily basis
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't even trim it off my steak. I eat it, just as nature intended. And it's good. And my heart is still beating. And I'm losing weight like crazy.

Yeah---they learned a long time ago that eating cholesterol does NOT raise blood cholesterol levels (the liver MAKES abundant cholesterol all by itself). Nor do high cholesterol levels create heart disease. It is cholesterol that is used by the body to put a "patch" on lesions that have formed in the blood vessels due to inflammatory processes. And that inflammation is largely caused by our crappy high carb diets. The metabolizing of table sugar, contributes greatly to forming Advanced Glycation Endproducts (the initials A,G,E are exactly what they do to your body's cells).

Getting back to the subject of low-fat eating, it has been terrible for the national waistline (the food processors took out the fat and put in sugar and starch) and it has NOT prevented an increase in diabetes rates (many diabetes researchers say that obesity and Type II diabetes is essentially the same disease--referring to it as "diabesity"). Our ancestors ate a lot of fat (at least as much or more than most of us do) and yet they were quite thin. The difference between us and them (other than the much greater exercise they got through doing heavy manual labor) is that they didn't eat sugar. Our yearly per capita consumption of sugar went from less than 5 pounds in 1900 to 150 pounds today. We get only about 40% from eating sugary foods---the rest is hidden in processed food.

p.s. Don't get me wrong---there is nothing wrong with healthy carbs--they have a "muscle-sparing" effect that is quite necessary if you want to build muscle. It is the amount and the type that tends to be the problem. Because simple carbs tend to be "addictive" we eat far too many of them as a proportion of our diets.

The worst part of it is that those of us who find we are healthier on a meat-heavy diet have to either hope that most people do better with less meat or that they don't ever realize they would be healthier if they ate more meat because beef in particular is so resource intensive that there simply isn't enough to go around if everyone goes meat-based.

Even if junk is taxed and the money is used to make healthier foods cheaper (which would be a good start) we still have that resource usage issue.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I notice when I eat fatty foods even under 1200 calories I start maintaining or even gaining weight.

I eat healthy fats, too like measured amounts of avocado, organic nuts and seeds, coconut oil and fatty fish like salmon and I am just not feeling it you guys. I remember at my lowest weight and most active period in my life so far I wasn't eating that much fat. To each his own I guess.
  • miss_rub
    Options
    I eat fat, high fructose corn syrup, and everything that is bad for you (I also LOVE fruit and veggies, but that's besides the point). Somehow I have managed to lose 58 pounds, and not starve at that ridiculous 1200 calories that people insist is what they need to lose weight. Instead of ordering a LARGE this or a LARGE that, order off the kids menu and let your stomach shrink. Its about moderation and moving your *kitten*. So simple. If I of all people can do it, I feel no sympathy for others who say they can't.
  • JO4IT
    JO4IT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Okay I understand what is being said here about some of the so-called low fat foods simply being high in sugar. So what do you set your macros at for sugar percentage per day?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I eat fat, high fructose corn syrup, and everything that is bad for you (I also LOVE fruit and veggies, but that's besides the point). Somehow I have managed to lose 58 pounds, and not starve at that ridiculous 1200 calories that people insist is what they need to lose weight. Instead of ordering a LARGE this or a LARGE that, order off the kids menu and let your stomach shrink. Its about moderation and moving your *kitten*. So simple. If I of all people can do it, I feel no sympathy for others who say they can't.

I would agree that, ultimately, it is "calories in-calories out" but the proportion of each macro is important to overall appetite control. Eating lower-carb (and by that, I mean somewhere between 75-150 grams--more if exercising a lot) will give better appetite control than eating a lot of simple carbs and sugar. I did the low-fat/no-fat thing for a while and found that I was starving all the time and ended up worse than where I started. I have been on the lower-carb plan for two years and just have made it a part of my lifestyle. To date, I have lost 52 pounds and have not had any period of regain in all that time (not even over the holidays). I continue to lose about .5 to1 pound per week--week in and week out. This is unprecedented for me, as I was always a yo-yo dieter before I learned to feed my body correctly (for me). I feel better than I have felt in a long time and I don't even get my usual winter colds and flu. I still have at least 30 pounds to lose, but I know that I will eventually get there.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a nice blue brie toasty.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Okay I understand what is being said here about some of the so-called low fat foods simply being high in sugar. So what do you set your macros at for sugar percentage per day?

Unfortunately, MFP does not keep track of the various types of sugar so I have to manually keep track of it. I try to keep my fructose below 25 grams per day (the amount in a couple of pieces of fruit and a couple of fructose-rich vegetables like tomatoes or carrots). Since table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose, it is obviously out for me. I eat no other sugars except what is in the food itself (dairy has galactose). The only exception is that on my heavy exercise days, I will make my own glucose-sweetened chocolate from baker's chocolate and glucose (the industry name is "dextrose" or sometimes, "corn sugar"). I also have eliminated wheat (contains fructans which the body easily converts to fructose) and limit myself to one (or two) piece(s) of 100% rye bread per day. It also contains fructans but at a much lower level. In addition, rye contains a unique fiber that stays in the digestive tract a long time and makes you feel full. I have never known anyone who could eat more than two pieces of this heavy, dense rye bread in a sitting. If you are going to buy rye bread, it is important to buy "sourdough" raised bread.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

The worst part of it is that those of us who find we are healthier on a meat-heavy diet have to either hope that most people do better with less meat or that they don't ever realize they would be healthier if they ate more meat because beef in particular is so resource intensive that there simply isn't enough to go around if everyone goes meat-based.

Even if junk is taxed and the money is used to make healthier foods cheaper (which would be a good start) we still have that resource usage issue.

I actually eat very little beef as I believe that the consumption of a lot of red meat contributes to my arthritis. I find that I do much better on fish, naturally raised poultry, organic eggs and raw organic milk cheeses and yogurt for my protein intake. My iron levels tend to be on the high side so eating a lot of red meat is a problem in that area too. I know a few people (and the numbers are growing) who raise chickens for meat and eggs in their back yards. It may come to that for a lot of people.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that the current view is that a small-to-moderate amount of healthy fat is fine, and I don't avoid fat. But I believe that consuming fats stimulates in me a craving for much more than is healthy. So I still watch what I eat. It's pretty easy to get the recommended amount of healthy fat without half trying.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was happily reading through and nodding..then I saw Bulletproof coffee, didn't know what it was then another post revealed the truth.. Way no!! As a lifetime black coffee drinker that sounds like an oil slick in a mug.:noway:
    Please someone help me out with why you would do that to good coffee. Doesn't the coconut oil taste??

Bring on the cheese and the meat and the nuts and the yummy yoghurt!

The oils are blended in, not just melted, so the final product is very similar to a latte.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

I do not track sugar, but I track carbohydrates in total.