Fishing for compliments?

Options

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I agree. Anyone without a real picture of themselves I'm just going to assume must be ugly.

Thanks for pointing out how ugly I am. smiley-sad025.gif

Don't copy, Thomas.

And now you're being a mean bully to me. smiley-sad025.gif

You should probably report me.
    No. I'll just sit in the corner and sulk.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of posts on here that I suspect--and I am a highly trained investigator-- are people fishing for compliments. I also see a bunch of profile photos that I suspect may be fake. Seriously, what's up with all that? The topics of "give me a compliment", "would you date the person above you" , "my best feature", "hot affair, flirt or run like hell" and so forth.... what is the deal with all that? No?

So, are you saying that you would date me?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I agree. Anyone without a real picture of themselves I'm just going to assume must be ugly.

Thanks for pointing out how ugly I am. smiley-sad025.gif

Don't copy, Thomas.

And now you're being a mean bully to me. smiley-sad025.gif

You should probably report me.
    No. I'll just sit in the corner and sulk.

so cute when you pout.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I take away any need for that assumption.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Can't believe I actually have to point this out, BUT CLEARLY I WAS JOKING. See the "chit-chat, fun, and games" above? You're all beautiful, and obviously people have reasons for not posting pictures.
  • dfquigley
    Options
    You know, there are a lot of people with self esteem issues, that grew up bullied or abused, that finally come take better care of themselves, and when they're bored on a friday night on fitness forums, what's wrong with having both a bit of fun, and finding a way to feel better about yourself via fishing for compliments?

It would be one thing to do it on say fb trying to make people bad for you, but when you have a thread on myfitnesspal labeled specifically to "best feature" or "would you date" etc. then obviously the other people taking part are doing the exact same thing, and it's now a more acceptable, safe place to do so without having to feel bad about yourself.

I have taken part from time to time, and I've even wanted to throw out the "we should re-name this thread to fishing for compliments" cause face it, that's what we're doing!

What I don't see, is why anybody else should care, or complain about people doing that in this sort of a setting with other completely willing participants.

Let people feel better about themselves and fish away here, where it's safe and the other participants are willing.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I take away any need for that assumption.

Your beard is beautiful
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Get over yourself.....it's a fun and game site...no one takes it seriously
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'D HIT THAT.

Wait... wrong thread.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    People like to feel good** about themselves no? It is the human condition. If we liked hearing every little thing that is wrong with us, we would have topics like "worst feature", "criticize the person above you" and wait for it.... "Hit, kick, or yell at the person above you"....:bigsmile:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants a little ego boost now and then!

(Though, I'm not sure what a fake profile picture would accomplish with this...)

people get off on pretending to be someone else, have you seen the show Catfish? its freaking insane some of these people on the internet...

I haven't seen it but now I think I need to look it up!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Seriously, coming from a guy who has only recently been getting compliments after more than a few years of thinking he was the ugliest creature in existence, they can make a massive difference when trying to battle a lifetime of bad habits. :)

^^ Agree with this! It's just for motivational purposes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Can't believe I actually have to point this out, BUT CLEARLY I WAS JOKING. See the "chit-chat, fun, and games" above? You're all beautiful, and obviously people have reasons for not posting pictures.

We were joking, too.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lol. Of course people are fishing for compliments. Me including when I post in one of those threads. I don't see any harm in doing it. People feel good and you're making other people feel good. What's so wrong with that? Everyday can be a struggle for many people. Its nice to to have people compliment you once in a while. I mean I get complimented in person too but definitely not as often as this site because I'll just make a post and I can make it happen. It can make my day and make working (well studying looong hours) more bearable. I think this site is one of the safest/most acceptable places to fish for compliments. You don't really want to do something like that in real life. It would be 100X more awkward for you and for the people around you.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    We were joking, too.
    You have the longest, most gracious neck i've seen. You're beatiful!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    We were joking, too.
    You have the longest, most gracious neck i've seen. You're beatiful!

Oh, thank you!
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it, the obviously attractive people on here fishing for compliments is kinda funny. I'd be happy enough in myself if I looked half as ripped or attractive as half the people I see on here, without needing to ask for compliments!

QFT
  • sclarktiw
    Options
    Seriously, coming from a guy who has only recently been getting compliments after more than a few years of thinking he was the ugliest creature in existence, they can make a massive difference when trying to battle a lifetime of bad habits. :)

So ditto...

It is a motivator...an ego booster and personally, I dont see anything wrong with that...
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    You mean people are fishing for compliments on a website that is full of people who have been very overweight for a long time and are now having their swan moment??

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f1.png

I went through like a 25 year awkward phase that included, but was not limited to, being severely overweight, a massive over-bite, acne and a unibrow so by ALL MEANS...... flatter me.

Does it hurt you? No? Then who cares.