Juice Fasting?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yet another topic that as turned into a fight for who is right or wrong, YIPPY.

The OP is asking for help from people that share the same opinion, Yes it might not be right in your eyes but didn't your mothers ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

If you don't share the same opinion then why bother to post? you all clearly have way to much time on your hands.

I came here to see what other people had to say about it because i believe juicing can do wonders for you physically and mentally, Yes you might not agree and yes it might not be correct but thats no reason to treat people like trash!

The OP already gave her input on the decision.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank Tyler for the lead on this thread.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

I'm done.
    You want to take over??
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    FWIW, i stopped reading before i finished page 2 because i was angered by the amount of misinformation, trolling, and outright fighting. so if i repeat anything that's already been said, my bad.

now, to the op: juicing is not a fad... well, unless a fad lasts over 30 years. people having been juicing for health for a long time. you can easily determine this by researching jack lalane. there is also a lot of evidence about the benefits of a plant-based diet (ie: the china study). many people are just being reintroduced to juicing by 'fat, sick, and nearly dead'. i consider that an extreme juice fast - i'd think anything over 3 days should be okay'd by a doctor.

the idea of it cleaning out the body or detoxing is a bit misconstrued: the juice itself does not flush you out or clean you out. because the nutrients in the juice are so readily absorbed, you are feeding your body without any of the fiber or other solid materials for the body to break down. the organs that are usually working to break down food, filter the good from the bad, etc. can work on cleaning out your body. your body can and does flush out toxins on a regular basis - but many people believe that there is always some crud in there. think about a filter in a pool - even if you run it 24/7, there's always going to be a little leaf or bug or whatever somewhere in there. many people feel a juice fast really cleans them out. even some body builders go through juice fasts - check out alpha resets.

finally, the protein thing. so many people go on about how it's impossible to get adequate protein on a plant-based diet. it isn't. plants have protein too. it's important to know what you're eating and ensure you get enough nutrients no matter what your daily diet is. i am not planning on doing a juice fast, but my husband and i do juice at least 5 days a week. everyone has different ideas and different opinions. for every thing i just told you, someone will come back and refute it, or demand that i prove it, or say that i'm an idiot for believing it. and as much information is on the internet, anyone can post anything on the internet. if you want real, scientific evidence of anything, you'll want to check scholarly peer-reviewed journals. any body can set up a web page ;)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yet another topic that as turned into a fight for who is right or wrong, YIPPY.

The OP is asking for help from people that share the same opinion, Yes it might not be right in your eyes but didn't your mothers ever teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

If you don't share the same opinion then why bother to post? you all clearly have way to much time on your hands.

I came here to see what other people had to say about it because i believe juicing can do wonders for you physically and mentally, Yes you might not agree and yes it might not be correct but thats no reason to treat people like trash!

Did you read the OP?
    She asked for "any and all advice"

No one here is treating anyone like trash. The people that are against fasting and juicing stated their case, and facts.

I don't care what you do, I was just giving the OP the information she asked for.

Good luck to you on you weight loss goals. I wish you nothing but success.

Yes, as an outsider looking in there is a lot of people being rude and trashing on people, Yes ok she asked for information but don't go putting down other people trying to voice there's. Im not saying this directly to you or anyone but i do believe people need to be nicer and not get so worked up to prove that they are right. it happens way to often and it really put people off using these pages for help
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I'm done.
    You want to take over??

Lol I can't even begin to start on this thread.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I could be totally out of line here, but "juice" detoxing? I've heard of water and tea (sans additives), but never juice.

I have a friend who did a special "tea detox" recently. That was only a one evening thing though. Like, had an early supper and drank the tea. No snacks afterward and all that until about twelve hours (after hanging out/whatever and then going to bed). He said he felt good the next day, but even still, I know the person who sold him the tea specifically said not to do it more than once a month.

So, am I just not understanding what detoxing is? Or are there multiple types?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I could be totally out of line here, but "juice" detoxing? I've heard of water and tea (sans additives), but never juice.

I have a friend who did a special "tea detox" recently. That was only a one evening thing though. Like, had an early supper and drank the tea. No snacks afterward and all that until about twelve hours (after hanging out/whatever and then going to bed). He said he felt good the next day, but even still, I know the person who sold him the tea specifically said not to do it more than once a month.

So, am I just not understanding what detoxing is? Or are there multiple types?

detoxing is an imaginary process that some people believe makes them feel "cleaner inside" and healthier. it does neither. any benefits are solely due to the Placebo Effect. it's long been recognized as quackery. some detoxing/cleanses can be harmful and have caused medical complications.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_072208.htm
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox_overview.html
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Doesn't drinking juice just over load your body with fructose without the fiber to slow it down? Wouldn't that really spike your insulin levels?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is a GREAT way to detox, you just have to do it right! You have to use FRESHLY juiced veggies/fruits. concentrate juice is a total joke and has barely any nutritional value. I have some great power juice recipes if you want to add me I'd exchange a couple :)

You just have to be careful on a juice fast. No heavy exercising or high heats, you don't want to overwork a detoxing body. It's trying to heal, not build muscle.

"Detoxing" is a fallacy, perpetuated by people who have something to sell. There are all sorts of organ functions in our bodies that perform continuous detoxing: liver, kidney, small intestines, etc. It's time to put this fad to bed.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Doesn't drinking juice just over load your body with fructose without the fiber to slow it down? Wouldn't that really spike your insulin levels?

Yes, if you have blood sugar control issues it can be a real problem.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know, I'm five pages in and haven't ready everything, so my apologies if this has already been covered, but...

...has anyone answered the question of specifically what toxins are eliminated from the body by juicing?

(I've been asking this question on juicing threads for a long while now, and each time, I think that it might be the time it's answered...so, right now, I'm optimistic. *fingers crossed* )
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I know, I'm five pages in and haven't ready everything, so my apologies if this has already been covered, but...

...has anyone answered the question of specifically what toxins are eliminated from the body by juicing?

(I've been asking this question on juicing threads for a long while now, and each time, I think that it might be the time it's answered...so, right now, I'm optimistic. *fingers crossed* )

Ow ow ow! *raises hand* The ones that are in juice!
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I'm quoting wholesale from a comment on the Hairpin because I think it's 100% correct:

"I read an article in Harpers about the fear of vaccines and the author looked back at the history of the term "filth" and basically concluded that "toxins" are the new "filth" as a catchall phrase to mean invisible things privileged people are afraid of that poor people just subject themselves too because they don't know better/don't care."

- from here: http://thehairpin.com/2013/02/moose-cleanse#comment-468730

And also, I highly recommend the Moose Cleanse. My antlers have never been velvetier!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Well there ya have it..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Well there ya have it..
    *twirls hair* I'm on fire today.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people think they need to clean their insides?

It's why I drink bleach.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix" for weight loss, just wanting to try a short-term detox to clean out the guts! Lol

Why not just do a real fast?
  • mjzzz
    mjzzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Was right, thread locked.... why bother keepin' the post?

<delete delete delete> I'll just suffice it to say: Most of the replies are opinion, some are outright misinformation. Weigh (ha) carefully what you read.
This discussion has been closed.