For Big Women on the Edge When the Subway is Too Crowded

Options

Replies

• ddnyr
    ddnyr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you are an inspiration! Love what you wrote! You are right on!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    She had her purse on the seat next to her and had the gall to ask you to move over where you were STANDING?

That's some bs right there. I would have asked her to move her purse so I could sit. I kid you not.

Good for you.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sitting on the subway is always a tricky issue... Why did you not tell her to move her bag and sit down next to her? I ride the PATH into NYC everyday and that seems to be the common action.

And she really gave you crap for standing in front of her? She is already sitting what more does she want for her comfort.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wrote a similar rant after hearing people refer to an overweight colleague as a fat so and so, as if fat was a personality trait, which pisses me off to no end! fat is something you HAVE, not something you ARE! You can read it here if you'd like.

http://projectblissful.com/fyi-fat-is-not-a-personality-trait/
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I read to "tiny, underfed chick" and stopped. Listen, I understand what it's like to be a large woman and feel like I'm in someones' space, or to even have someone take issue with my being in their space... but I would never, EVER choose to call out their size or figure -- I don't care what she said or did to you. If you feel it's necessary to point out a woman's small size by using terms like 'underfed', you are no better.

Good day.
  • AngNY
    AngNY Posts: 193
    Options
    I seriously wish I was right next to you when this happened. How dare she. People truly have some nerve.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    As a fellow NYer, I applaud your standing your ground, literally. I do not however condone body shaming. In EITHER direction. You describing her as an underfed tiny person is just as bad as her calling you fat.

I go through what you go through every day and I feel your pain but please don't add insult to injury. If you're going to be the better person, which you just about were, be the better person all around.

:flowerforyou:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I read to "tiny, underfed chick" and stopped. Listen, I understand what it's like to be a large woman and feel like I'm in someones' space, or to even have someone take issue with my being in their space... but I would never, EVER choose to call out their size or figure -- I don't care what she said or did to you. If you feel it's necessary to point out a woman's small size by using terms like 'underfed', you are no better.

Good day.

I have to agree with MK. The woman may have been a b!tch, but you adding labels to her such as "skinny" and "underfed" is no better than her calling you fat. People think skinny is a compliment, but I have friends who struggle to put on weight, and they do not view this as a compliment most times.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    What I read is that you have a problem with skinny women with big purses because you think they all look at you a certain way. This lady sounds rude, but if I had been sitting there watching the two of you cuss at each other, discuss your levels of education and backgrounds, and threaten to fight each other, I'd find you both rude and on edge.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I applaud you, Macaya5! We are truly the last "minority" that it is politically correct to treat as non-human beings. WTG!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I traveled for work a lot when I was pregnant and found that in the US I was always left standing and in London was always offered a seat (by that point I was 7 months pregnant and definitely grateful). In the US I was always crowded and elbowed out of the way and in busy London I was always offered a wide birth (maybe they were afraid it would be contagious). It's not just this, but the fact is people are rude and self involved, they don't want to be aware or inconvenienced by others. I don't like it, but I come to expect it. That being said, bravo for not being the aggressor, and not being bullied. I would have had a hard time not telling that woman "yeah? Well I'm well on my way to losing this weight, so that's something I can change . . . you on the other hand will always be a c"

That being said, you almost lost me at the insults that you wrote about her. Body shaming goes both ways and is never acceptible.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I applaud you, Macaya5! We are truly the last "minority" that it is politically correct to treat as non-human beings. WTG!

Pretty sure "obese" isn't a minority that needs to be protected....
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i love it! n im sorry that this happened to u but u handled it WELL!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If her pedigree was so great, you'd think she'd have a car and driver?!

And not threatening to pound the crap out people lol
  • losingweightatl
    Options

Think that's the same thing Caucasians said about African Americans back in the 60's.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Think that's the same thing Caucasians said about African Americans back in the 60's.

Pretty sure it's not but way to make a ridiculous comparison.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    Um pretty sure it is. Perhaps you don't know the history of America. :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Um pretty sure it is. Perhaps you don't know the history of America. :)

I really do but I'm disinclined to argue with a person who can see a correlation between race and weight because you can't reason with a crazy person.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    My reasoning is that "obese" people are treated like second class citizens or beneath others who are not obese. Call me crazy but America has a long history of mistreating others who are DIFFERENT not only race but religion, sex, and many others.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    im from ny too. some peoople can be so inconsiderate. u should have taken her purse and threw it in her face or push her bag.