For Big Women on the Edge When the Subway is Too Crowded

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I applaud you, Macaya5! We are truly the last "minority" that it is politically correct to treat as non-human beings. WTG!

Pretty sure "obese" isn't a minority that needs to be protected....

Think that's the same thing Caucasians said about African Americans back in the 60's.

Um... considering weight can be changed and skin color cannot be (at least not permanently without a host of chemicals) that is a hyperbolic statement.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    im from ny too. some peoople can be so inconsiderate. u should have taken her purse and threw it in her face or push her bag.

Yes. That's the classy way to go.

Seriously....why not just ask her nicely to move her purse so you could have a seat? Why stand right in front of her, taking up as much space as you could, knowing she'd be pissed instead of just asking her to move her purse?
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    Still doesn't change the fact that people treat obese people differently. Do you think its right?
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Um... considering weight can be changed and skin color cannot be (at least not permanently without a host of chemicals) that is a hyperbolic statement.

This is far too logical for some people. You should know that.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I read to "tiny, underfed chick" and stopped. Listen, I understand what it's like to be a large woman and feel like I'm in someones' space, or to even have someone take issue with my being in their space... but I would never, EVER choose to call out their size or figure -- I don't care what she said or did to you. If you feel it's necessary to point out a woman's small size by using terms like 'underfed', you are no better.

Good day.
    As a fellow NYer, I applaud your standing your ground, literally. I do not however condone body shaming. In EITHER direction. You describing her as an underfed tiny person is just as bad as her calling you fat.

I go through what you go through every day and I feel your pain but please don't add insult to injury. If you're going to be the better person, which you just about were, be the better person all around.

:flowerforyou:

I agree with both of these, completely. When a person stoops to the level of another person then they are no better. Good for you for standing up to her... but there was no reason to be rude back.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    My reasoning is that "obese" people are treated like second class citizens or beneath others who are not obese. Call me crazy but America has a long history of mistreating others who are DIFFERENT not only race but religion, sex, and many others.

You are making quite the stretch.. obese people aren't being told they can't use the same restrooms or shop in the same stores... fat kids still get to go to school with everyone else... Obesity is an epidemic - it's a serious health concern for the entire nation. Accepting fat people as a protected class isn't going to help our nation recover our collective health and wellness in any way. I'm all for treating people with kindness and respect - always, and I believe that everyone should be proud of themselves for who they are and not allow their weight to define them.... BUT, being fat is not a protected class, it is a terrible health condition.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I know... Silly me, what am I thinking.
  • macaya5
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who laughed, thought this was about sammiches, posted an awesome gif, started a slow clap, related and friended me! You guys are awesome and THANK YOU SO MUCH for having a sense of humor and understanding where this is coming from.

Sorry for all those people I "lost" by describing this woman as tiny and underfed. Oh well. Not everyone is going to be my friend. Fortunately, the internets is a big place.

Just for the record, I didn't ask to sit. I knew the train would clear out in a few stops and if it didn't, it wouldn't be the first or last time I stood for an hour on the train. this chick was splayed out, had a bag on the seat next to her and was pissy because I was standing in front of her. she wanted me to move, to not exist, to be elsewhere. her choice was move or get kicked. THAT is why I didn't back down.

Further, this is a thing on the subways. The article is dated, but it's been documented.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16444534/#.URptOFpU4cs

"Sick subway passengers, most of them dieters who faint from dizziness, are among the top causes of train delays, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority."
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    U r awesome and glad you stood your ground! ????
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Still doesn't change the fact that people treat obese people differently. Do you think its right?

Everybody gets treated differently for a whole host of reasons... because they are too smart, too ignorant, too tall, too short, too dark, too light, too whatever.... I'm not saying it's right... but making a hyperbolic statement comparing a lot of these to the US race history does nothing for your argument. It just makes it absolutely ridiculous.
  • losingweightatl
    Options

I know... Silly me, what am I thinking.

No need to insult me thanks.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Differently does not automatically mean disrespectfully. I'm sorry, but if you are too large to fit in the clothes in a particular store, then you don't get to shop in that particular store. It's not disrespectful - there are plenty of stores that serve the overweight community. You are different when you are obese, and that's not bad or wrong, that's just the way it is. This idea that everyone should be equal all the time no matter what is not helping the obesity epidemic, either.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    People make me wanna quit MFP. Staying out the forums from now on.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Just for the record, I didn't ask to sit. (she)was pissy because I was standing in front of her. she wanted me to move, to not exist, to be elsewhere. her choice was move or get kicked. THAT is why I didn't back down.

This is your problem. You didn't ask to have the seat and you assumed what she was thinking and what she watned.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    im from ny too. some peoople can be so inconsiderate. u should have taken her purse and threw it in her face or push her bag.

Seriously....why not just ask her nicely to move her purse so you could have a seat? Why stand right in front of her, taking up as much space as you could, knowing she'd be pissed instead of just asking her to move her purse?

Are you from NYC? Have you traveled in the heat of rush hour especially the 6 train its crammed like sardines! Let me tell you smething if you want space take your *kitten* and drive a car solo. In NYC space is valuable. You don't like it leave or get pushed out the way.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Standing ovation for you!!! Yes! I can't stand people like that, thinking the world revolves around them and their big purses. lol Great job with your cals and doing better on the stairs. i was in NY a few weeks ago for the first time in years and thought Id die lol! It was a serious wake up call. Friend me!! :)
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who laughed, thought this was about sammiches, posted an awesome gif, started a slow clap, related and friended me! You guys are awesome and THANK YOU SO MUCH for having a sense of humor and understanding where this is coming from.

Sorry for all those people I "lost" by describing this woman as tiny and underfed. Oh well. Not everyone is going to be my friend. Fortunately, the internets is a big place.

Just for the record, I didn't ask to sit. I knew the train would clear out in a few stops and if it didn't, it wouldn't be the first or last time I stood for an hour on the train. this chick was splayed out, had a bag on the seat next to her and was pissy because I was standing in front of her. she wanted me to move, to not exist, to be elsewhere. her choice was move or get kicked. THAT is why I didn't back down.

Further, this is a thing on the subways. The article is dated, but it's been documented.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16444534/#.URptOFpU4cs

"Sick subway passengers, most of them dieters who faint from dizziness, are among the top causes of train delays, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority."
    [/quote

I'm sorry you had to go through this.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Are you from NYC? Have you traveled in the heat of rush hour especially the 6 train its crammed like sardines! Let me tell you smething if you want space take your *kitten* and drive a car solo. In NYC space is valuable. You don't like it leave or get pushed out the way.

Which exactly why I will never live in NYC... I like my space way too much...
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Wow. NYC sounds like a wonderful, magical place. *sarcasm* If you're going to have a go at people judging your weight don't include sweeping judgments on their weight in your rant. Ridiculous thread is ridiculous.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    WHAT has this turned into? People will take ANYTHING and twist it around into a way to insist on being offended. Oy.

blair-waldorf-crying-gif-hurts-sad-Favim.com-231295.gif