For Big Women on the Edge When the Subway is Too Crowded

Options

Replies

• gisele00
    gisele00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that you stood up for yourself!! It's the best to watch peoples' faces when you don't shrivel and cower at the "fat" jab.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Are you from NYC? Have you traveled in the heat of rush hour especially the 6 train its crammed like sardines! Let me tell you smething if you want space take your *kitten* and drive a car solo. In NYC space is valuable. You don't like it leave or get pushed out the way.

I am. Born in the Bronx. I've traveled on NYC subway and crowded subways around the world. I've never had to fight for a seat.

Take the 6 train uptown at 5:00pm today rush hour and let me know if you can get a seat. U get one save a seat for me. Most likely you would not get a seat and the homeless guy from across the way will run and lunge before you sit down.

:laugh: Clearly that badass homeless guy has earned his seat. The rest of us are just amateurs.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So glad I live in a place where public transportation is not the norm.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    As a fellow NYer, I applaud your standing your ground, literally. I do not however condone body shaming. In EITHER direction. You describing her as an underfed tiny person is just as bad as her calling you fat.

I go through what you go through every day and I feel your pain but please don't add insult to injury. If you're going to be the better person, which you just about were, be the better person all around.

:flowerforyou:

This. I absolutely would have had a negative reaction to this passenger as well...but turning the table and assuming anything about her is just as rude as her call you fat.

Lesson learned (hopefully) but I do think there is something to be said for standing up for yourself not just because you are overweight (or underweight, whatever the case may be) but because you are a human being and common decency towards others has been lost in this world.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Take the 6 train uptown at 5:00pm today rush hour and let me know if you can get a seat. U get one save a seat for me. Most likely you would not get a seat and the homeless guy from across the way will run and lunge before you sit down.

First of all, I never said it's easy to get a seat. I've had to stand many times. BUT, if I saw that a lady was taking up a seat with her purse, I'd ask her to move it so I could sit down. That was my point.

Secondly, if someone ran and lunged at a seat (homeless or not), I'd let them have the seat before I'd start a shouting/cussing match with them on the subway.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

There is ALWAYS and I mean FREAKING ALWAYS some tiny, underfed chick with a HUGE purse that will start some ish with me. Seriously.

Wait a sec? Sorry but I am one of those 'underfed chicks' you just discriminated against.... thing is...I used to be one of those 'fat chicks that should know better' like you 12 months ago. I can see now why I walk everywhere.......perhaps you should start that as well rather than having a go at someone for being an 'underfed chick'

PS.... I'm hardly underfed, in fact I eat MORE now than when I was a fatty..... I just work had to stay here. But I'm far from rude, unless you complain. Have a go at me for being skinny or underfed & I'll have a go back. But I'll never start anything.

Did you read that the subway ride was an hour long?!? I don't think even YOU would want to walk that distance everyday - not to mention her injury...read a little deeper before you make your comments!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    HAAAA!!!! oh the things i would have said!!! lol people suck! good job though, good attitude :)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's carrying a big bag because she's sick of getting hit in the face with bellies, bags, backpacks and the like? Maybe she's a little irritated that people keep bumping into her and think they can just run over her because she's small? The bag gives her a little more room as if she were an "average" sized person.

It's her genetics. You can't get mad at someone's genetics that makes them small and tiny. We all come in different shapes and sizes. We should be respectful of all of them.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What does everybody have against big purses?
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow... this whole thread went off the tracks (see what I did there?!) all because people wanted to argue about who has the worst train ride. WTG!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this! Then I read the replies of some people :huh:. Now I don't know which is more entertaining! The story or the fact that some of the responders, that weren't involved, and this story wasn't about, took it personally :laugh: .

ANYWAY, way to go! Glad you stood your ground and yet backed down so it didn't get out of hand :drinker:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Wow... this whole thread went off the tracks (see what I did there?!) all because people wanted to argue about who has the worst train ride. WTG!

Show off.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

What about the discrimination against big purses? What about that??!!!! The social unjustice!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned: don't ask anyone to move - even if you were there first.

Just kick 'em and be done with it.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If I feel to stand and the woman has a problem of me standing in front of her that's her problem not mine. I stand wherever I feel like as long im not coughing or sneezing in their face. In the Subway there's no personal space. It's a free country and I don't think thats not courteous if someone stands over someone. She doesn't like it GET UP FROM THE SEAT AND MOVE!

There are other methods of getting around walking etc.

If you been walking from midtown to the flat iron district then downtown you have been walking all day. Now going home you are going to take the train back home and someone grabbed the seat while you are going to sit you would be pissed! If not you are lying.
  • PRMinx
    Options

What about the discrimination against big purses? What about that??!!!! The social unjustice!

Seriously! I'm going to write a letter.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well weight seems to come and go but ugly on the inside can be forever.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Discrimination against big purses is like the holocaust! People are trying to get rid of all big purses on the subway because they're not as good as small purses... Oh, the humanity!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Discrimination against big purses is like the holocaust! People are trying to get rid of all big purses on the subway because they're not as good as small purses... Oh, the humanity!

We should make purses, and the people who wear them, a protected class.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    1) OP - Good for you for standing up for yourself! I never have the nerve to do things like that :laugh: I hated riding the bus in Pittsburgh, because of the sighs and dirty looks you get for just existing.

2) People, people, people. She was using "pedigree" in a sarcastic manner. She followed it up with "she claimed to be a hood rat". Ok, just had to point that out :happy: