Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You are only hurting yourself.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I missed the other thread. Can someone fill me in?

OP made a post about how God made us the way we are and that's great etc.
    Some people disagreed, some people agreed. One person was maybe a bit rude, but most weren't. I disagreed but was perfectly polite, and a few people really liked the post.

If that's enough to make someone quit, maybe they never really started to begin with. Seems a bit flimsy.

Hah I can see how that might not end well.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I suggest you read your own post/thread and find motivation from there.
    ...Realize today, God didn’t make anyone inferior. He didn’t make any person second class. No, you are a masterpiece! You are fully loaded and totally equipped for the race that’s been designed for you!
    Don't let the trolls win.

Thank you!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    OP I understand what you're saying....I really do. We all need support from time to time, especially when life sucks. When I need support though, I depend on my friends...on here, it's specifically my friend list. Those are people that I feel enough of a connection to that I invite them into my daily life, and conversely, who invite me into theirs.

While the name of this particular board is Motivation and Support, it is a public board. That said, it's only reasonable to expect that you will find some people in this public forum who will support you, but you will also find people who won't. That's the awesome thing about public forums. They allow us to mingle with a lot of different kinds of people who both support and challenge us...and that's the value of disagreement...it challenges us to stretch. When we just need comfort...public probably isn't the best place to go looking for it.

If you wanna quit, I understand, but ask yourself, "Is it better to quit, or to take this opportunity to stretch a little further than normal, as a person?" Sometimes in life it's better to learn how to swallow the meat and spit out the bones...and that includes just ignoring people we're likely not to agree with.
  • O2BFatNoMore
    Options
    Actually your "i quit" put me off a little. So I found your previous thread, and I DID find it comforting. So my response to you is DON'T QUIT. And I hope things get better. Hugs to you.

So much for me giving up posting on the message boards for Lent...
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    OP-Gwen(?) There are wonderful and supportive people here, I'm sorry they didn't find your other post, I most certainly missed it. I will keep you in my prayers this week, you didn't ask for them, but I will send them. Life is hard and if we didn't have emotional challenges none of us would be here. Anyone who says differently either is in denial or doesn't remember. Feel free to friend me if you'd like
    Peggy
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I must have missed the "fun" here, but looking at your recent posts, I can't seem to figure out where the chip on the shoulder is coming from (was your thread locked and/or deleted?).

If you'd like support, simply say, "Hey guys, I need support" or look to your friends and family members. I'm at a loss at how some of your posts in the last few days that are a.) about attention ("I quit everything") or b.) potentially offensive ("Why is everyone such a smartass on here" or "I have one specific religious view, I will apply this to everyone in the main forums") have been trying to get support.

It is not the onus of someone you don't know to assume that you're posting something potentially rude, or expecting a specific response, because of things going on in your life. There's empathy--feeling for you and understanding where you're coming from based on specifics, like you mention in this thread--and then there's mind-reading. Which of these is realistic? Even people you know "off the net" can't be responsible for the way you take comments because you're going through something you're not revealing until after an exchange.

We've all gone through stressful times, and I'm sure many of us have snapped or said and done things we regret, or regret not reaching out more to others and revealing what we were going through. The world is not responsible for how you handle things, and expecting people to agree with you 100%, or be 100% positive in your perspective simply because you're going through something difficult, is a very unrealistic worldview.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So much for me giving up posting on the message boards for Lent...

Too bad I don't celebrate Lent, that would be a wonderful idea. Haha. I already nixed my Facebook though...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Haha, this is as epic as your original thread a few days ago. If you can refer back to any posts that 'bullied' the OP, either in this thread or her last thread, then please do, as I'd be intrigued to see what your interpretation of 'bullying' is. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people that repeatedly cry 'bully!' on here have never actually suffered real bullying once in their life.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard week.....family members in critical aneurym life threatening surgery among other things and I read something that comforted me and I tried to share that on a thread on here -- rather than reading, deciding it's not for you and moving on - some folks felt the need to make unnecessary comments.

I get we all have our opinions - on every topic -- but you can respond or not respond. Even when I disagree, I try to be kind. Sometimes, you need to think about the poster and where they may be. It's just been a really heartwrenching few weeks and I could have used some friendly comments - or none at all - as opposed to some that I received.

I don't need to be 'rescued"....and I'm not manipulative. I'm just a person trying to provide something comforting to those who may be receptive to that - at a time I needed comfort as well.

I'm guessing I'm at least a big part of this. Yes, sometimes we do need to think more about the poster's feelings. But by the same tolken you need to think about the context of this site.

Coming to a site whose SOLE POINT is self improvement, then making a post about how we are wonderful just the way we are is going to get some backlash.

If you want help and support and encouragement, go to the support and motivation forum and make a post along the lines of "struggling, need supportive friends"... don't post about how we are great just the way we are.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    is this an emotion-based appeal to get someone to 'come to your rescue' while you provide no information whatsoever?

Seems rather manipulative to me.

I don't quit when I get tired/frustrated/bored/etc. Those are to be expected. I quit when I am done.

Good luck to all!

My thoughts EXACTLY
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I wanted to offer my perspective in hopes that it's helpful. Your other post, to me, was an offer to GIVE support, not a request to receive it. So if it didn't resonate with people they said so, not knowing they were kicking you while you were down because they didn't actually know you were down.

Not that this will be noticed because whatever the unhinged ranting post I have on ignore is, it's probably going to take over the discussion, but I thought I'd try to help anyway. Don't quit. That only hurts you.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    That's always gotten everyone success. Yup. Let me tell ya.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Haha, this is as epic as your original thread a few days ago. If you can refer back to any posts that 'bullied' the OP, either in this thread or her last thread, then please do, as I'd be intrigued to see what your interpretation of 'bullying' is. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people that repeatedly cry 'bully!' on here have never actually suffered real bullying once in their life.

As I said at the beginning, I rather impolitely tacked onto this thread merely because I knew people would be more likely to read it here. I did not read OP's controversial (or not) post. I did, however, offer to discuss the topic with her personally, since she seems upset. And that's an interesting assumption of yours-- are you an authority on "real" bullying? I am not, which is why I quoted an article. I do not claim to know everything. Have a nice day.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm at least a big part of this. Yes, sometimes we do need to think more about the poster's feelings. But by the same tolken you need to think about the context of this site.

Coming to a site whose SOLE POINT is self improvement, then making a post about how we are wonderful just the way we are is going to get some backlash.

If you want help and support and encouragement, go to the support and motivation forum and make a post along the lines of "struggling, need supportive friends"... don't post about how we are great just the way we are.

Very true.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Is there a tl;dr version?
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    OP - Do not allow those that decide to put you down to rule your life. Someone once told me (and I believe it) that the only person that can allow you to feel inferior or bad is yourself. So if some were rude, then ignore them and continue on with your beliefs. Do not give up because of a few rude people. There are plenty more on here that will support you and motivate you as you have tried to do with others.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you the best
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your other post, but I get being down and having a rough time - my last few weeks have been rough as well....
    That being said, quitting on yourself is counterproductive... the comments you are referring to are from complete strangers on the internet - that is not worth quitting on yourself - it will only hurt yourself. You deserve to be at your best health, so please do keep working at it, whether by using myfitnesspal, or otherwise. Good luck!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I understand that you are going through things, but this is the internet and when you put ANYTHING out there, nobody knows the emotion behind it. Nobody knows what you are going through, so they don't know what kind of response you are looking for. When you put things on the net you must be prepared for any kind of response. Like I said you can't control other people, you can only control your reaction. If you give up every time you don't get the desired reaction from people, you will never get anywhere. Your family member's illness is something you can't control. Don't quit on the one thing you CAN control....YOU.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    God, give me grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which should be changed,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other.