I quit

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't like certain people or groups of people here, yes, you're right. The same can be said for everyone, even the well-liked people going on their rants about other people being too naive, too sensitive, or adding weird foods to the database. However, the people who tell THEM not to post get shot down for exactly the same reasons. Isn't that ironic. (Similarly, if you didn't like MY post, why bother replying to it? See how this circular logic is ineffective?) Also, there are plenty of level-headed people on here, or people who choose to voice their disagreements with others in a way that is not disrespectful, judgmental or hurtful.

QQ
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    So now it is not allowed, to post something unrelated on a thread topic? Gee whillickers, I never knew. My sincerest apologies.

I don't like certain people or groups of people here, yes, you're right. The same can be said for everyone, even the well-liked people going on their rants about other people being too naive, too sensitive, or adding weird foods to the database. However, the people who tell THEM not to post get shot down for exactly the same reasons. Isn't that ironic. (Similarly, if you didn't like MY post, why bother replying to it? See how this circular logic is ineffective?) Also, there are plenty of level-headed people on here, or people who choose to voice their disagreements with others in a way that is not disrespectful, judgmental or hurtful.

1. Hijacking threads is not allowed as per MFP forum rules
    2. Stop making this thread about you! It's not!
    3. Stop feigning support for the OP when you are just using this thread as your own personal soapbox - it's beyong irritating and is not fair to the OP
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    So now it is not allowed, to post something unrelated on a thread topic? Gee whillickers, I never knew. My sincerest apologies.

3. Stop feigning support for the OP when you are just using this thread as your own personal soapbox - it's beyong irritating and is not fair to the OP

Or as we Brits say...Bugger off!!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you write a post saying title I Quit , then you already did. I'm not a quitter....I like to solve the puzzle or die trying.

"Nutrition is a diet......Nutrition with exercise is a LIFESTYLE"
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Plus, the G.I. Joe Debacle of 10:19 is still fresh in everyone's minds. It's going to take a while to recover from that one. Your credibility has been completely shot.
  • mgarcia843
    Options
    I know I've just joined, but isn't this whole forum dedicated to being supportive/ helpful? So whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with your religion/preferences is really irrelevant, they either find the motivation that they were looking for and move on, or they don't, and move on.

Either way, the key phrase here is move on...

Personally I'm not at all religious, nor do I find solace in thinking religious/spiritual things, but if that works for some great, and I hope you reach your goals because of it. And if it doesn't help you do what I do, say "Oh this isn't for me" And go on to the next post.

No need for all the trolling or negativity.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Haha, this is as epic as your original thread a few days ago. If you can refer back to any posts that 'bullied' the OP, either in this thread or her last thread, then please do, as I'd be intrigued to see what your interpretation of 'bullying' is. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people that repeatedly cry 'bully!' on here have never actually suffered real bullying once in their life.

As I said at the beginning, I rather impolitely tacked onto this thread merely because I knew people would be more likely to read it here. I did not read OP's controversial (or not) post. I did, however, offer to discuss the topic with her personally, since she seems upset. And that's an interesting assumption of yours-- are you an authority on "real" bullying? I am not, which is why I quoted an article. I do not claim to know everything. Have a nice day.

Ah, so you have posted a huge comment about bullying when you have no actual idea if the OP has been bullied or if that's why she is upset? Are you going around posting this on everyone's threads just in case people are 'more likely to read it'?

I am not an authority on 'real' bullying - however, I HAVE been bullied, and I can assure you that is not what happens here.

You clearly don't like this forum as you repeatedly go on about all the nasty bullies on here, so how about you just don't post. Have a nice day.

No, it isn't. Read the forum guidelines.

Yawn, more of the same drivel. You make me laugh; you must realise that you are clearly not hitting the mark from the amount of negative responses you get from the majority of other people, yet you still try and argue your (invalid) point. :laugh:
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know I've just joined, but isn't this whole forum dedicated to being supportive/ helpful? So whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with your religion/preferences is really irrelevant, they either find the motivation that they were looking for and move on, or they don't, and move on.

Personally I'm not at all religious, nor do I find solace in thinking religious/spiritual things, but if that works for some great, and I hope you reach your goals because of it. And if it doesn't help you do what I do, say "Oh this isn't for me" And go on to the next post.

Sadly, the "internet persona" of many people nowadays is to appear more snappy and cynical than they really are. I keep stressing for people to focus on themselves. Only reason I go on the message boards are for two things usually: the funny threads for entertainment value or talking smack on Dr. Oz.
  • kaileysgran
    Options
    I did not read the original post so hopefully this is going to be relevant all I know is it was something about God:

Don't base your emotions on other people especially people In these threads. Sometimes when you start to talk about The Lord esp. On online forums it can be like jumping into a shark tank.

If you are a Christian and love Jesus- girl base your emotions on Him because your identity comes from Him and who He says you are! Not others around you... Jesus came with an offensive message actually (salvation) which eventually got him crucified. If He said 'no servent is above there master' surely we as believers will encounter forms of persecution as well in our walk with Him just as he and all His disciples did. In the beatitudes The Lord actually says BLESSED are those who are persecuted for my names sake (For telling the message He brought).

Finally you can't give up because He does NOT give up on people, and He never stops Persuing the lost in love and we are to follow His example. Sometimes this means being hated by the world for His namesake. Remember that His Spirit is strongest in our weakness so just lean on The Lord when things get hard. Often when we quit is the time He finally gets the chance to carry us :) Be encouraged!

Hopefully this is relevant to what you are talking about. Like I said I didn't read the last thread this referred to so I might have completely missed the point. If that's so haha I guess you can ignor this. Have a great day!
    This is my opinion too.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    This thread has gotten to 5 pages, seriously? Good lord...
  • michelejoann
    Options

Trolls gotta troll.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone come onto a thread called "motivation and support" and leave only criticism, often in sneering or angry tones for good measure? As someone pretty new to this forum I find a lot of this thread upsetting, and it would certainly make me think twice about asking for support or motivation from the forum. If you didn't trust the original posters motives, or whatever, why not just close the thread and move on?

As somebody's mother used to say, "if you can't think of anything nice to say, say nothing".
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

I'm placing my bets that it will go on for a lot longer too....
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Trolls gotta troll.

The only troll I've seen in here specifically asked for us to report her... but then, as she's taken over the thread, I suppose that is right proper trolling.

BTW: Troll = intentionally trying to flame-bait/anger/piss people off. Someone that's brash, or more realistic, or more "cynical" as you so put it in your other posts on here, isn't a troll. Just someone with a differing world view than you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It's a hard balance... yes, support is a part of it, but support means different things to different people. Additionally, how do you support someone (or some post) that is giving bad information? So yes, support is part of it, but the forms are also very largely about learning and information sharing.
  • mgarcia843
    Options
    Unfortunately very true. Anonymity + Normal person = Horrid douche.

Still, it's disheartening that people get so worked up over so little. If everyone acted like this face to face we'd be witnessing several murders a day in on our way to the train.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard week.....family members in critical aneurym life threatening surgery among other things and I read something that comforted me and I tried to share that on a thread on here -- rather than reading, deciding it's not for you and moving on - some folks felt the need to make unnecessary comments.

I get we all have our opinions - on every topic -- but you can respond or not respond. Even when I disagree, I try to be kind. Sometimes, you need to think about the poster and where they may be. It's just been a really heartwrenching few weeks and I could have used some friendly comments - or none at all - as opposed to some that I received.

I don't need to be 'rescued"....and I'm not manipulative. I'm just a person trying to provide something comforting to those who may be receptive to that - at a time I needed comfort as well.

You really need to work on not letting people on the internet get to you. I'm not trying to be mean, but if faceless comments disagreeing with what you post in a public forum (not everyone will always agree with you) make you give up on everything, I think that indicates something larger going on.

Hope things get better.
  • mgarcia843
    Options

It's a hard balance... yes, support is a part of it, but support means different things to different people. Additionally, how do you support someone (or some post) that is giving bad information? So yes, support is part of it, but the forms are also very largely about learning and information sharing.

I understand that, and you're right, but if you have nothing constructive to say why attack someone, is I guess the point I was after. If you're really coming here to help or be helped, there shouldn't be a reason to attack anyone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was going to post this elsewhere, but this is probably going to blow up and be read by everyone within the hour anyway so here you go. No, I do not know what post above commenters are referring to, since I don't lurk the forums 24/7. I can only imagine it went the way of most MFP threads here these days.

The following quotes are from this article. http://ilookbothways.com/learn-safety/cyberbullying/

"Others cyberbully because they are bored. This usually starts with friends who are casting around for something to do and think it will funny to bully someone online. Once they start, it sometimes takes on a life of its own and continues for months, even an entire school year.

The potential list of underlying factors is long. Yet what we do know is that no child is born a bully; it is a learned behavior. It is also ultimately a choice. Plenty of kids grow up with the same predisposition factors as bullies yet choose to use other methods to solve problems.

The act of bullying, whether online or offline may have longer term consequences for the bully than for the victim. Bullying often becomes the default coping method, a negative pattern that is reinforced as bullies surround themselves with friends who approve of or even support their aggressive actions.

While young bullies may enjoy a temporary level of popularity and peer status, they often have trouble making and keeping friends, do poorly in school, and aren’t well liked by teachers. Bullies also have an increased risk for using alcohol and drugs.

Bullies may fail to develop a mature sense of justice. Instead they justify their actions by manufacturing a fault in their victim — it may be that the victim is “dumb” or conversely that the victim is “smart.” Any trait or perceived difference can be used to create a reason. When challenged, cyberbullies commonly defend their actions as benefiting their victims with claims like “it will help him toughen up” or “it will teach her to fit in.” Offenders of cyberbullying tend to rationalize their behavior in certain ways. Half justify it as being done in fun, instructive (22.2 percent), or as an indirect tool used to strengthen victims (13 percent)."

"Often this viewpoint is accompanied by the attitude that the victim needs to “learn to take a joke” or “toughen up.” Not only does this point of view utterly disregard the damage done to victims; it fails to recognize the very dangerous path bullies themselves walk or to address the underlying causes of bullying."

Just some food for thought. No, I am not saying I am a suicidal victim here, before y'all get on your high horses and flame me. I don't really give a rat's *kitten* about what any of you think of me, but I am posting this because I am sick and tired of seeing other people get abused here for no good reason.

And I'm done here. Have a nice day everyone. OP, if you need to talk, feel free to message me.

Is there a tl;dr version?

I believe the TL;DR is: hijacking this unrelated thread to use as a pulpit for this cut-and-paste article I found.
  • michelejoann
    Options
    Unfortunately very true. Anonymity + Normal person = Horrid douche.

Still, it's disheartening that people get so worked up over so little. If everyone acted like this face to face we'd be witnessing several murders a day in on our way to the train.

^^ This.