I quit

Options

Replies

• StrawberryThief
    Options

There is a difference between telling someone is wrong and an attack, subjective as either may be.

It is possible to be constructive and supportive at the same time. My only point is that a negative attitude doesn't have to come along with telling someone they are wrong about something.

the part you're not realizing is that pretty much every time you tell someone they are wrong about something, you will get accused of having a negative attitude. doesn't matter how nicely you say it. go forth and see for yourself. go to 10 threads right now where someone is doing something that you clearly feel is wrong and try to help them by correcting them or telling them the truth. you'll get blasted in 7 of them.

i just found the OP's thread from earlier today that she's so hurt that she wants to quit about. there's no there there. 2 pages, with 80% of the comments saying thank you, a handful of people saying religion has nothing to do with it, and couple of people saying they'd rather improve than embrace. I mean, if you're going to throw a tantrum and post "I QUIT EVERYTHING" after the light action from that thread, I don't need to be softer, you need to be harder. a LOT harder.

Can I get an 'Amen!'

Amen. People keep saying don't feed the trolls, but trolling and disagreeing aren't the same thing. There was no trolling (unless the OP is some kind of genius uber-troll who's trolled the rest of us). The OP might need to man up a bit; not everyone will agree with her all of the time. C'est la vie, yo.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

There is a difference between telling someone is wrong and an attack, subjective as either may be.

It is possible to be constructive and supportive at the same time. My only point is that a negative attitude doesn't have to come along with telling someone they are wrong about something.

the part you're not realizing is that pretty much every time you tell someone they are wrong about something, you will get accused of having a negative attitude. doesn't matter how nicely you say it. go forth and see for yourself. go to 10 threads right now where someone is doing something that you clearly feel is wrong and try to help them by correcting them or telling them the truth. you'll get blasted in 7 of them.

i just found the OP's thread from earlier today that she's so hurt that she wants to quit about. there's no there there. 2 pages, with 80% of the comments saying thank you, a handful of people saying religion has nothing to do with it, and couple of people saying they'd rather improve than embrace. I mean, if you're going to throw a tantrum and post "I QUIT EVERYTHING" after the light action from that thread, I don't need to be softer, you need to be harder. a LOT harder.

Can I get an 'Amen!'

Apparently not...

ETA .... Timing is everything.
  • Frogger54
    Frogger54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When "God made man" there wasn't junk food around. There was nothing but fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, and meat. So if her prior post was to say that you're "perfect in God's eyes" while being overweight or obese due to bad choices, that's an invalid argument. Just sayin'...:huh:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "And it seems such a waste of time
    If that's what it's all about
    Mama, If that's movin' up then I'm movin' out.
    Mmm, I'm movin' out. Ooh-hoo, uh-huh, mmmm"

Can't help it. I always have to sing.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard week.....family members in critical aneurym life threatening surgery among other things and I read something that comforted me and I tried to share that on a thread on here -- rather than reading, deciding it's not for you and moving on - some folks felt the need to make unnecessary comments.

I get we all have our opinions - on every topic -- but you can respond or not respond. Even when I disagree, I try to be kind. Sometimes, you need to think about the poster and where they may be. It's just been a really heartwrenching few weeks and I could have used some friendly comments - or none at all - as opposed to some that I received.

I don't need to be 'rescued"....and I'm not manipulative. I'm just a person trying to provide something comforting to those who may be receptive to that - at a time I needed comfort as well.

Dont't quit...maybe just take a break? :) Hit me up via message if you wanna chat.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    This Message Board Forum is dedicated to "Motivation and Support"

Pay attention to where you are on the Message Boards and act accordingly.

Pretty simple really...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Pretty simple really...
    I don't appreciate your condescending tone. This is a thread about being supportive in the motivation and SUPPORT forum after all.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    There was no trolling unless the OP is some kind of genius uber-troll who's trolled the rest of us

I sincerely doubt that :laugh:
  • thegreatestlove
    thegreatestlove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is this because people disagreed with your other post?

LOL *searches for last post*
    is this an emotion-based appeal to get someone to 'come to your rescue' while you provide no information whatsoever?

Seems rather manipulative to me.

I don't quit when I get tired/frustrated/bored/etc. Those are to be expected. I quit when I am done.

Good luck to all!

My thoughts exactly!
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Pretty simple really...
    I don't appreciate your condescending tone. This is a thread about being supportive in the motivation and SUPPORT forum after all.
    My apologies. I didn't mean to sound condescending.

I meant that to me it is simple. We all have different opinions about what is motivational. If that was her idea of motivation and support, why argue with her? If you don't agree, just scroll on by.

That's all I meant. I guess I should have just said that. Again, sorry...
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Will be sad to see you go, this place is a good source of support when people need it even if its "tough" support sometimes.And needed things people don't wanna hear. You have alot to deal with on your plate though it sounds like so maybe a rest is what you need. Just know its not what you look like, how perfectly you appear to others, or anything like that that matters, its what you are like on the inside and the kind of person you are. And people should respect you for that. Unless its something needed healthwise for you then you should give it a fair shot and do yourself a favor.And if dieting makes you feel better in general healthwise or about yourself then this is a good site to start and you shouldn't give up but if you just have too much going on and dieting is too much to take on maybe rest and pick it up later. Dieting should be what is right for you and what makes you happy not for status or whatever.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Pretty simple really...
    My apologies. I didn't mean to sound condescending.

I meant that to me it is simple. We all have different opinions about what is motivational. If that was her idea of motivation and support, why argue with her? If you don't agree, just scroll on by.

That's all I meant. I guess I should have just said that. Again, sorry...

Believe me... your post didn't bother me at all.

My point was that someone who is going to get all butthurt about something will find a way to do it regardless of what you say or how you say it.

The bottom line is that, in most cases, it's as much about the poster as it is the replier. Rarely does the "blame" fall only on one person.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Ding ding!

i think she may have come in here because she feels defeated and needs motivation, but feel free to continue being *kitten*!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I will quit someday...when I'm dead.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Good luck with that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Only 7/10? I think you're being mighty generous.
  • StrawberryThief
    Options

Ding ding!

i think she may have come in here because she feels defeated and needs motivation, but feel free to continue being *kitten*!

Did you actually read the other thread? A few people disagreed with her way of seeing things - myself included - and said so (for what it's worth I still feel like I was perfectly polite). There's nothing motivational in saying we should be happy with how God made us; if anything that would breed apathy. To point this viewpoint out in a forum for motivation seems more than reasonable.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    is this an emotion-based appeal to get someone to 'come to your rescue' while you provide no information whatsoever?

Seems rather manipulative to me.

I don't quit when I get tired/frustrated/bored/etc. Those are to be expected. I quit when I am done.

Good luck to all!

^Agreed. I remember back in high school when all my friends would post things like this on their myspace/fb/random social site. Bugs the hell out of me.
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, OP. I hope your family member recovers soon. Hang in there!