The foods you must STOP EATING RIGHT NOW...

Options

Replies

• Subowski
    Options
    And I still enjoy the occasional crap.

Amen sister.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Wait, I thought this was my grocery list..............
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I still eat 15 of things on the list and have still lost 8 pounds in about 9 weeks...I try to eat them less...I would lose weight faster if I gave all those foods up. But realistically that's not going to happen.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    What was the purpose of this thread? To make a point? Teach a lesson? Poke fun?

Is it successful when those that "get it" disparage those that don't?

Satire doesn't work if your audience doesn't realize it's satire. At some point it just becomes contempt.

Satire works perfectly when it points out that reality has gotten so jacked up that people can't tell the difference between it and nonsense.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the handy list of things we can eat!:smile::smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay, for the record, I do not believe it is *essential* to follow this list (or any list like it) to lose weight OR be healthy. Yes, eliminating (or at least reducing) many of these items could generally be a good idea, but not essential.

For a little over a year, while I trimmed 25ish pounds of softness, I did it while eating what most would call a "paleo" approach. I just called it JERF...just eat real food. I ate meat (sourced from a family farm), lots of veggies (as many as possible from farmer's markets and other local sources), and plenty of fruit...and counted my calories...however, I could have lost the weight eating "normal/conventional" foods too. (I also kept close watch on my micronutrients to ensure I was getting enough vitamins and minerals.)

You can certainly lose weight by following this list, as long as your calories are at an appropriate level. Many people (such as myself) generally like an "all or nothing"/type A approach. Many more people seem to prefer an "everything in moderation" approach. What will work for you? Who knows. I'd probably suggest you try the EIM approach first, because it's easier for those that can do it...and if that doesn't work, *then* try a more aggressive approach (where you eliminate the "trigger" foods as you find them).

So as for the particulars on this list? Here are my thoughts on them:

Fried foods - fine, in moderation...but I generally try to avoid traditional (such as canola) oils. At home, we use coconut (and animal fats).
    Hamburgers & French fries - awesome, especially the hamburger, and especially if locally sourced.
    Table sugar - fine, in moderation.
    Plain Jam - gross, but fine, in moderation.
    salted nuts - I'm iffy on the nuts. Rancidity is a concern of mine.
    smoked nuts - "
    refried beans - a carryover from my "paleo" time...I generally don't eat beans. Should you not eat them? No idea...not my call...they're probably fine for you, but I don't eat them.
    Baked Beans - "
    Chocolate Fudge - delicious...(I'm going to stop saying "in moderation"...just assume it's there for everything unless I say otherwise).
    Candy - okay, but I eat very little of it. If I'm going to get my X calories for the day, I can't fill up too much on candy and still have room for my macro minimums or my micros.
    Toffee - uh, I guess if I had some.
    Gums - nope, personal preference.
    Boiled sweets - no idea what these even are.
    Mint Sweets - delicious.
    Liquorice - love the black licorice, not so much the pseudo/"fake" licorices.
    Honey - Honey has minimal nutritional value & has the same calorie content as sugar. - but honey is delicious, so yes, honey.
    Soft drinks - never. Stopped drinking them in 2005 and never looked back
    Tinned fruits - don't even know what these are.
    Chutney - "
    Pickle - fine
    bacon - yes, please
    sausage - okay, but not often
    cured meats - fine
    ham -fine
    fatty cuts of steak like T-bone & rib-eye - constantly. Nothing wrong with dietary animal fat (especially when locally sourced).
    Puddings - no thanks
    Corn syrup - generally steer clear of, but probably not a big deal.
    Fruit juice - It's better to eat raw fruit instead of fruit juice because fruits contain more fiber and the juice will always contain more sugar than the actual fruit. - treat it like soda, which is to say, I don't drink it. Personal preference.
    Cake - generally don't, just not my first choice in dessert.
    Bread made with white flour - another carryover from my paleo time. If I'm going to eat bread, it's going to be "good" bread...and by that, I mean, "delicious". Plain old white bread is not delicious *to me*.
    Soda pop, such as Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc. - I thought we already covered this? Anyhow, none for me.
    All baked goods made with white flour - still generally no.
    Coffee - Every day. 2-4 cups.
    Biscuits - rarely.
    Fast foods - depends on your definition. Chipotle? Often. Jimmy John's? Sometimes. McDonald's? No thanks. Personal preference more than anything else though.
    Pasta made with white flour - generally not, but not entirely opposed to it.
    Canned fruits w/added sugar - No thanks. If I'm going to eat canned fruit, it's packed in the juices so I can taste the fruit.
    Most packaged cereals - generally avoid just because I don't really like cereal.
    Alcohol can slow your metabolism down by 73% - rarely.
    Potato chips - almost never. "Empty" calories.
    Popcorn - seldom.
    Cookies - seldom.
    Ice cream - Every. Night. I'm not even kidding. (Look at my diary.)
    Cakes - generally no.
    Pies - generally no.
    All deserts - generally no.
    Artificial sweeteners like Nutrasweet, Equal, Sweet N Low, Sweet Twin, Sugar Twin, Splenda, Sunett & Sweet One - generally no...but I'll gladly use regular table sugar instead.
    Most bottled green teas have more ingredients in it to help you gain weight than the actual green tea itself to help you lose weight. - like soda, never.

So there you have it. Just where I am with the foods on this list.

Again, instead of working from a restrictive food list, I'd start by counting the calories of the foods you already eat/don't eat and adjust from there. You can always fine-tune the quality of your food as you move forward...(and if you're someone like me who does nothing at less than 100%, then sure, make your list, stick to it, *still count your calories*, and enjoy your results. It isn't the "only" way, or even the "right" way, but it's a way that may work best for some).

And if you're still mad at me, here's a picture of a kitten in a can:

1270047760_kitten.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And if you're still mad at me, here's a picture of a kitten in a can:

1270047760_kitten.gif
    funny-animal-gifs-004-04-dog-and-kitten_large.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    what are boiled sweets? sounds yummaaay

Hard candy
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    what are boiled sweets? sounds yummaaay

Hard candy

This is one of those "outside 'murka so it doesn't really matter" things, isn't it...
  • stacezilla
    Options
    I'm not going to stop eating honey. A little goes a long way. THATS DUMB.
  • gela5
    gela5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like a list with food I can eat!!!!!!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Celery. But only if you swallow it whole so you don't negate the calories with chewing.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

OK..here you go.

1) All the foodz

There it is. Hope it's not too restrictive.

Bottom line, eat food you will continue eating forever, stay within your calorie range (a deficit to lose, maintenance level to maintain, and surplus to gain..whatever your goal may be) add in some exercise and sprinkle heavily with patience and realistic goals...and BAM!!! Success!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here's an article I found on the internet that I think everyone should know about. I don't know if everything on this list is true, but maybe it will help you. I found it at http://www.nowloss.com/foods-not-to-eat-when-trying-to-lose-weight-dieting.htm (Yes, I know, people don't always cite their sources, but I just can't plagiarize.)

"The foods you must STOP EATING RIGHT NOW when trying to lose weight are…

You need to stop drinking regular & diet sodas. Quick fact: If you replaced a 20oz bottle of soda with water daily… You would easily lose up to 35 pounds in one year so if you're addicted to soda - go here to see how to stop drinking soda so…
    Drink more water, Drink more sugar-free vegetable juices (like V8), Drink more Green Tea and…
    Cut down on or try to stop drinking alcohol. Quick fact: Alcohol is basically the refined juice of natural foods which makes it a drink of pure concentrated sugar that will make you gain fat easily and…
    AVOID the grocery store snack aisle - Stop eating potato chips, popcorn, cookies, candy, ice cream, cakes, etc. The ingredients in these foods make you want to eat more and the companies who make these snack foods know you'll stay addicted to them (even after you gained lots of weight eating their snacks) but…
    The companies don't care if you gain weight because of their snack products as long as they make their money off YOU and if you're addicted to snacks - Read 30+ ways to curb your cravings for snacks, salt & sugar
    You need to make a strong effort to cut down on your salt & sugar intake because too much salt & sugar causes you to gain water weight making you look fatter than you already are and…
    Avoid processed foods as much as possible because the processing of these foods removes all the stuff that helps you lose weight and replaces it with stuff like sugar, corn syrup and hydrogenated oils to make you fatter so…
    Read food labels and avoid anything that has sugar as it's main source of carbs or has corn syrup & hydrogenated oils as ingredients and…
    Don't be fooled by the term "Multigrain" since it's just a fancy word for processed carbs and choose "Whole Grain" products only and…
    Here's a bigger list of Foods NOT to eat when trying to lose weight…

Fried foods
    Hamburgers & French fries
    Table sugar
    Plain Jam
    salted nuts
    smoked nuts
    refried beans
    Baked Beans
    Chocolate Fudge
    Candy
    Toffee
    Gums
    Boiled sweets
    Mint Sweets
    Liquorice
    Honey - Honey has minimal nutritional value & has the same calorie content as sugar.
    Soft drinks
    Tinned fruits
    Chutney
    Pickle
    bacon
    sausage
    cured meats
    ham
    fatty cuts of steak like T-bone & rib-eye
    Puddings
    Corn syrup
    Fruit juice - It's better to eat raw fruit instead of fruit juice because fruits contain more fiber and the juice will always contain more sugar than the actual fruit.
    Cake
    Bread made with white flour
    Soda pop, such as Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc.
    All baked goods made with white flour
    Coffee
    Biscuits
    Fast foods
    Pasta made with white flour
    Canned fruits w/added sugar
    Most packaged cereals
    Alcohol can slow your metabolism down by 73%
    Potato chips
    Popcorn
    Cookies
    Ice cream
    Cakes
    Pies
    All deserts
    Artificial sweeteners like Nutrasweet, Equal, Sweet N Low, Sweet Twin, Sugar Twin, Splenda, Sunett & Sweet One
    Most bottled green teas have more ingredients in it to help you gain weight than the actual green tea itself to help you lose weight.

And now read this and see why you shouldn't put the above crap in your mouth! thanks for the article.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AuntieMC/view/my-anti-cancer-diet-224779
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I understand the list, but personally, screw that!
    Ive lost 2lbs a week eating pizza, hamburgers, and the like for dinner.
    Why? Because I fit it into my budget. Because giving up the foods you like,
    puts you in the fast track to failure, because eating food you hate makes you miserable.
    Because I eat it moderately with self control with smaller portions. Because id rather live a shorter life,
    and enjoy what I eat sometimes!

Rebellion!!!!! ( Im aware this topic is satire )
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Someone's probably said this already (thread TL;DR) but I'm glad it's only chocolate fudge. I prefer clotted cream fudge anyway :bigsmile:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    What was the purpose of this thread? To make a point? Teach a lesson? Poke fun?

Is it successful when those that "get it" disparage those that don't?

Satire doesn't work if your audience doesn't realize it's satire. At some point it just becomes contempt.

Satire works perfectly when it points out that reality has gotten so jacked up that people can't tell the difference between it and nonsense.
    Agreed. However, when people's inability to tell the difference becomes the focus, that isn't satire.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    *Crumbles cookies on top of ben & Jerry's cookie dough and throws on a spoon full of nutella, sprinkles with splenda*

tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • permiesworld
    Options
    I agree with most of the things on this list. Much is just common sense.

Not honey however. Yes it is sweet. But the health benefits of honey far outweigh the calories/sugar. For me, losing weight isn't just about getting the lbs off. It's about developing a healthy lifestyle. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-health-benefits-of-honey.html

Many foods are like this. There's a reason that they should be included in the diets. Just use portion control and common sense.

There are things that I won't give up (coffee) and I'm sure that there are things here that are important to others. So determining what will work for the individual to KEEP on the diet and be healthy, is always the best choice, even if it's not the same choice for everyone.
  • Eddie1022
    Options
    How about a list that tells what you can eat?