Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options

Replies

• bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm more of a bodybuilder but have been thinking about powerlifting ever since I saw the Staci article ages ago... I don't know. I just want to tone up really.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm more of a bodybuilder but have been thinking about powerlifting ever since I saw the Staci article ages ago... I don't know. I just want to tone up really.

First time I've ever heard a bodybuilder say a thing like that
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Hey! Corvus! Now yer getting the hang of things! Lol. Mighty,I feel your pain. Sometimes IRL people look at me like I'm not speaking English.

My formal studies are in science and law, but I try to branch out to be as well rounded as possible ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What's the language thing y'all speak of? Math nerd no understand.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This guy says that you can do both...and since he's both a prize winning bodybuilder, and a world record holding powerlifter in the 275 weight class, I'll have to agree with him. ;)

img_23261298229165.jpg
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Busy lady, I'm not too keen on math past trig (as I told Taso when he asked for lessons) but I'll try to put this into an equation for you. Gross =/= ewww. :laugh:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There are guys that are doing both and having great success.

This kid stays nearly contest lean while setting these records.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBggpEWoO8

There is also guys using heavy weights for hypertrophy work. Instead of sets of 3x10 they are using 10x3. The thought being that once nearly 100% muscle fiber activation is achieved that strength gains can only come from hypertrophy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Busy lady, I'm not too keen on math past trig (as I told Taso when he asked for lessons) but I'll try to put this into an equation for you. Gross =/= ewww. :laugh:

However, as her previous post stated that too much muscles = not very feminine, I don't think it was that unexpected that interpreted her next as saying an very muscular woman was gross as in "ew".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I started as a bodybuilder...............so bodybuilder. I've tried really be "powerful" with singles and doubles, but started suffering from joint issues (knees, shoulders, etc.). So I scaled back and stuck with volume training and body building. I don't regret it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am a bodybuilder that trains like a powerlifter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    This guy says that you can do both...and since he's both a prize winning bodybuilder, and a world record holding powerlifter in the 275 weight class, I'll have to agree with him. ;)

img_23261298229165.jpg
    Yeah, but a little "help" makes a difference too. There aren't a lot of naturals out there over 200lbs.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There are guys that are doing both and having great success.

This kid stays nearly contest lean while setting these records.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBggpEWoO8

There is also guys using heavy weights for hypertrophy work. Instead of sets of 3x10 they are using 10x3. The thought being that once nearly 100% muscle fiber activation is achieved that strength gains can only come from hypertrophy.

There are a lot of these through all of history. The problem is that the average person doesn't do well when you start comparing relative strength values. Most people just know absolute strength, which is why when you say powerlifter, they often immediately picture someone like Mark Henry in his mid 20s, or Benedikt Magnusson. Don't get me wrong, they are both extremely strong guys, but they are/were extremely fat compared to guys like Stan Efferding, Ricky Dale Crain, or even Konstantin Konstantinovs.

My personal favorite is actually Lamar Gant, who competed in the 123 and 132 weight classes in the 70s/80s. To my knowledge, he's still the only person to ever deadlift over 5x his bodyweight. He also has idiopathic scoliosis, but that obviously didn't stop him from becoming a total beast.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I've been doing more of the body building thing and seeing good strength gains, but I'm moving into a power lifting routine starting next week. I also want to be the crazy short chick at the gym who picks up all the heavy things. With that I'm looking into calisthenics as a complement type thing where I can lift crazy weight and do crazy body weight exercises. In other words, I want to be the crazy chick at the gym that does the things no one would expect.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

However, as her previous post stated that too much muscles = not very feminine, I don't think it was that unexpected that interpreted her next as saying an very muscular woman was gross as in "ew".

Agreed. And context is generally what people draw their conclusions from. I go off literal meanings bc I can't remember more than one thought/sentence at a time. :laugh:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on competing at either level, so suffice it to say that I want to look like a cross between Wolverine and Bane (The comic book versions), and as strong as I can get without having to lift for hours on end every day. Neither goal is very realistic, but as I have 100+ to lose, I've got time to refine them. In the meantime, I'll eat at a deficit, and lift like a beast and see what shakes out.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what the issue is here. We established that, whether in competition shape or not, people tend to gravitate to one "style" of training while maybe dipping into the other. We also established that this is a process that can take years and one does not look like Arnold the day they pick up a weight and do bicep curls. And that BBs tend to focus on aesthetics while PLs focus on strength. And that women don't get bulky unless they really, really try. And that if you want to look toned that cardio isn't enough and that one needs to incorporate weights in some form, and not little pink dumbbells either.

So I'm not sure why my post stood out so much? I didn't say that I was already in competition shape, or that I want to be, simply that I do more of the standard 8-12 reps with a good bit of isolation exercises.
  • GritsOnTits
    Options
    powerbuilder
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what the issue is here. We established that, whether in competition shape or not, people tend to gravitate to one "style" of training while maybe dipping into the other. We also established that this is a process that can take years and one does not look like Arnold the day they pick up a weight and do bicep curls. And that BBs tend to focus on aesthetics while PLs focus on strength. And that women don't get bulky unless they really, really try. And that if you want to look toned that cardio isn't enough and that one needs to incorporate weights in some form, and not little pink dumbbells either.

So I'm not sure why my post stood out so much? I didn't say that I was already in competition shape, or that I want to be, simply that I do more of the standard 8-12 reps with a good bit of isolation exercises.

I think it was the word 'tone', that's all
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders don't only lift in the 'hypertrophy' range and do different curl variations all day. They also aren't in competition shape year round, they prep for meets too.

Powerlifters aren't all fat f***s that get gassed after a set of 4, many do work in the 'hypertrophy' range as well.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but a little "help" makes a difference too. There aren't a lot of naturals out there over 200lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

? Maybe for short guys.

200 lbs is not all that much weight for a 6'+ guy.