Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options
123457»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but a little "help" makes a difference too. There aren't a lot of naturals out there over 200lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

? Maybe for short guys.

200 lbs is not all that much weight for a 6'+ guy.

^ this, I tend to think that number is closer to 270+, but there are of course a lot of folks using that weigh a lot less.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like the powerbuilder term.

Back in the day when I hammered the wieghts, my main priority was strength. It didnt hurt that looks came along with it. I didnt olympic style lifts much, but I wanted to be as strong as possible in every lift I did.

Now these days I'm into being strong as I can through a different avenue, of just doing body weight only stuff. I'm enjoying it, and have a lot to learn & figure out.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

One of the first definitions of gross is "glaringly noticeable" or "immediately obvious." I'd venture to say that the word's origins are of that nature "a gross injustice", etc...rather than the implications we have given it in modern day of "disgusting. Kind of like "gay" or "*kitten*" they didn't always mean homosexual.

Pretty much what I was trying to say without negatively stating it but not everyone is going to take what I write exactly how I meant it. So I tried to correct or make more obvious that I was trying to say how much muscle not that I was trying to say she was gross. Thanks lacurandera1 for knowing that I didn't mean it negatively.

And here I thought you just meant that she had 144 pounds of muscle on her...
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I want to lift so many weights that the bar bends! :laugh:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Strong, I want to be strong.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    This guy says that you can do both...and since he's both a prize winning bodybuilder, and a world record holding powerlifter in the 275 weight class, I'll have to agree with him. ;)

img_23261298229165.jpg

Exactly!! He is my goal, although his physique is a little off in terms of bodybuilding. But being huge and strong and at his age no less, yes please.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but a little "help" makes a difference too. There aren't a lot of naturals out there over 200lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

? Maybe for short guys.

200 lbs is not all that much weight for a 6'+ guy.

^ this, I tend to think that number is closer to 270+, but there are of course a lot of folks using that weigh a lot less.

225 lean at 6 ft would make you a top pro natural bodybuilder. even 200 in contest shape naturally at 6 ft would be impressive. The natural guys that claim 240+ and are under 6'2" are not lean or have terrible physiques imo.

270 lean at that height would make you a top competitor, and using gear heavily.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I want to lift so many weights that the bar bends! :laugh:

"If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending." No clue who said that, but it gave me a chuckle the first time I heard it.
  • mkim3138
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I want to be a reasonable-looking powerlifter, not one of the guys that acts proud of his 315+ bench, yet weighs 340. I'm talking like 4.0 and above ratio for Big 3, or 300+ on the Wilks scale.

http://wilkscalculator.com/lbs

351 =) I don't even know what this is lol

I like to do both, I want to be strong and look good doing it :happy:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Meh, mine's only 321.252 at my current bodyweight of 208 for the big 3, after five months of lifting. However, so long as we all keep hammering at it, it has nowhere to go but up.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    225 lean at 6 ft would make you a top pro natural bodybuilder. even 200 in contest shape naturally at 6 ft would be impressive. The natural guys that claim 240+ and are under 6'2" are not lean or have terrible physiques imo.

270 lean at that height would make you a top competitor, and using gear heavily.

Agreed, I was saying that 270 guarantees gear.

The points about the lesser weight ranges is lower than I would've thought (I don't know a whole lot about bodybuilding) but I can accept that. Definitely food for thought though, thanks.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    i seem to do alright at both.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    (And I haven't seen many hot powerlifters.)

How 'bout now? :)
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Nia Shanks:

IMG_1842__480x640_.jpg

She can bench 145lbs, deadlift 300lbs at 122lbs body weight.

I like her! She's very inspiring with her strength. And she has a beautiful body. She also shows that you can be small and strong. She could later deadlift 315 pounds at 120 pounds body weight (height is 5'6").