No Homo?

Options

Replies

• AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just don't get everyone that gets "hurt" or "offended" at comments not directed at you or anyone in particular. Some people hate the word retarded and yes it is insensitive but someone that looks at a sculpture and says wow that is retarded is not intentionally trying to hurt anyone it is not the same as insulting and mentally handicapped person. People need to quit being some damned sensitive about everything.
    Its called "common sense"...those who have it are not offended by every shortened word people say/type..

It would be outrageously offensive if people regularly said things like "I want some fried chicken - no nig." It uses a stereotype and a shortened version of a seriously offensive term. It is equally offensive when someone says "you're looking good - no homo." It's a derrogatory and completely unnecessary comment and should be treated as such. People with common sense and the capability of reasoning understand that.

Edit - I hope I don't get banned for this, because I certainly wouldn't call someone that. It was just an example, used to indicate that even though SOME people don't see this as offensive/think people are being too sensitive, nobody should be surprised when people ARE offended by said phrase.

Then let me clarify, if I don't say anything to be offensive on purpose and I don't want to hurt your feelings then I don't care at all that you are hurt by it. The bottom line is grow up put your big boy or girl panties on and quit dwelling on words that are not directed at you...life is full of wrongs, bullsh#t, and hardship, either deal with it or get emotionally crushed under it.

When you use a term that is intended to hurt, demean or dehumanize a whole group of people, it is directed at THE ENTIRE GROUP. For example, the reason "that's so gay" is considered offensive is because it makes "gay" a synonym for "stupid", and thus implies that everyone who is gay is stupid. That is offensive to a whole group of people. Same thing with any derrogatory group; it's demeaning and offensive everyone who makes up that group, REGARDLESS of the individual you were TRYING TO OFFEND when you called them that name.

Life IS full of wrongs, bull, and hardship - why contribute to that?
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    So today to see how sensative people are when you post something on someones thread if they are overweight type "No-Fatties" and for those that are at their goal type "No Anorexia" and lets see how people explode on that.

Any time you classify people it can appear to be offensive and devisive. I am straight but will shop until my last day on earth, I will be asked contually if I am gay or not because I wear loud colors and Jerry Garcia ties with my bright french cuff shirts. I am not gay but take it as a compliment when a man hits on me just as I enjoy women complimenting me in my clothes. Just because I would not sleep with or date SeaRunner does not mean I cannot hang out, shop or party with him as I do anyone else.

No Prejudice!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Okay...if my man wanted to be called gay or a girl...I'd dump him so fast...I don't know what glee is and....gay me are NOT manly...part of being a man in ALL lifeforms involves chasing the FEMALES..I'm only being honest...

I had no idea I wasn't a man anymore because I don't chase females Last time I checked, I had all the right parts to qualify as male. So just for future reference, when I'm filling out a form that asks for gender and the choices are male or female, which do I pick? Your sage advice is desperately needed.

:laugh: Fantastic post, SeaRunner! I'm going to point this out the next time someone says what this person said.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Those who attempt to classify a phrase as a joke are doing the same thing as those who are attempting to remove a phrase from common speech: they are attempting to control the narrative.

Everyone is attempting to control the narrative. If you want, go ahead and pat yourself on the back when you manage not to feel offended when you hear a slur; but don't kid yourself. The words matter. Do you really think that advertisers are doling out millions of dollars for fifteen seconds of airtime during a television show in order to make the best Super Bowl commercials list? The question isn't whether or not someone will be offended. The question is whether or not language matters. And it does.

Only if we let it.

Unquestioned thoughts lead to compulsive reactions.

Question it all you want; the discourse should continue. But don't fool yourself with the commonplace term "we".

It's enough for me to know what I know, once I've determined something for myself. When I question my thinking and not give words power over me then I'm happy and at peace. I find it much more enjoyable to live life in a way where I don't automatically assume what someone means. And even if they mean it in a derogatory way, to not let their opinion matter to me MORE than my own peace of mind.

Don't let me disturb your inner peace. But language does not rise out of the individual and grace the universe with its singularity. Language is a social contract, unbreakable insofar as humans are social beings. The sound of words forms arbitrarily, but then the meaning rises from social interaction, and the value is eventually determined by common usage.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Those who attempt to classify a phrase as a joke are doing the same thing as those who are attempting to remove a phrase from common speech: they are attempting to control the narrative.

Everyone is attempting to control the narrative. If you want, go ahead and pat yourself on the back when you manage not to feel offended when you hear a slur; but don't kid yourself. The words matter. Do you really think that advertisers are doling out millions of dollars for fifteen seconds of airtime during a television show in order to make the best Super Bowl commercials list? The question isn't whether or not someone will be offended. The question is whether or not language matters. And it does.

Only if we let it.

Question it all you want; the discourse should continue. But don't fool yourself with the commonplace term "we".

It's enough for me to know what I know, once I've determined something for myself. When I question my thinking and not give words power over me then I'm happy and at peace. I find it much more enjoyable to live life in a way where I don't automatically assume what someone means. And even if they mean it in a derogatory way, to not let their opinion matter to me MORE than my own peace of mind.

Don't let me disturb your inner peace. But language does not rise out of the individual and grace the universe with its singularity. Language is a social contract, unbreakable insofar as humans are social beings. The sound of words forms arbitrarily, but then the meaning rises from social interaction, and the value determined by common usage.

Exactly...value determined by common usage. So if the collective majority is in the habit of giving words and definitions too much power, to the point where they war with one another, then perhaps such "value" should be questioned. Throughout history, what was once common knowledge or common behavior, has changed and evolved. I don't place much stock in "common" value, but prefer to think for myself.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Don't let me disturb your inner peace. But language does not rise out of the individual and grace the universe with its singularity. Language is a social contract, unbreakable insofar as humans are social beings. The sound of words forms arbitrarily, but then the meaning rises from social interaction, and the value is eventually determined by common usage.
    Pardon me, and I'm sorry to interrupt, but I would just like to say that the way you language is really hot.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    OMG, are we all gonna roll together? :noway:

Everyone get your no homo in now......:grumble:
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

Only if we let it.

Don't let me disturb your inner peace. But language does not rise out of the individual and grace the universe with its singularity. Language is a social contract, unbreakable insofar as humans are social beings. The sound of words forms arbitrarily, but then the meaning rises from social interaction, and the value determined by common usage.

Exactly...value determined by common usage. So if the collective majority is in the habit of giving words and definitions too much power, to the point where they war with one another, then perhaps such "value" should be questioned. Throughout history, what was once common knowledge or common behavior, has changed and evolved. I don't place much stock in "common" value, but prefer to think for myself.

Again, I'm not attempting to discount the importance of "thinking for yourself" but it's important to realize that the "habit of giving words and definitions too much power" isn't optional . . . insofar as humans are social beings. In fact, the "habit" is more or less the definition of language, and you use that same language to "think for yourself." There is no way to give definitions too much power: given or not, these definitions define how humans exist as social beings.
  • EricwStultz
    Options
    Haha, not that funny i guess but Right on man. And yes that seems offensive. No insecuro.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options

Only if we let it.

Again, I'm not attempting to discount the importance of "thinking for yourself" but it's important to realize that the "habit of giving words and definitions too much power" isn't optional . . . insofar as humans are social beings. In fact, the "habit" is more or less the definition of language, and you use that same language to "think for yourself." There is no way to give definitions too much power: given or not, these definitions define how humans exists as social beings.

But you see, I have discovered in my own life experience that the habit of giving words and definitions too much power IS optional. Here is where freedom lies. All habits can be broken, no matter how ingrained they may seem. Who we are is more powerful than the thinking mind. At least this is what I've come to realize.

I've enjoyed our chat. Must run to the gym now.

Cheers. :)
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    my wife loves to say queer but has been told she can't use that word anymore cause it will offend people...since when are we told we can't use words even when they have a different meaning(strange, odd) I just don't get this country!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In summary can someone state they aren't homosexual without implying its bad to be homosexual?

You can call yourself a "breeder". Then it's OK.

Been called that a number of times by my gay friends. No problem. Proud "breeder" here. :wink:

"Breeder" is a term for cattle ranchers, not parents. Ergo, I'm not a breeder.

Apparently it has different meanings depending on who uses them. I have no problem with that. I prefer to not get huffy about slang. My identity doesn't depend on a silly word.

Neither does mine, but I prefer honesty and specificity to slang. For the most part, I quit using slang by the time I left my twenties.

I find slang to be neither dishonest nor immature. To each their own.

Cheers.

In general, no, but in the case of the term "breeder," yes, it's quite dishonest. in the case of the phrase "That's so gay," yes, very immature. There just comes a point in life when the young people are making up new slang faster than an older gal can handle. So I gave up. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Pardon me, and I'm sorry to interrupt, but I would just like to say that the way you language is really hot.

^^ Agreed!
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay...if my man wanted to be called gay or a girl...I'd dump him so fast...I don't know what glee is and....gay me are NOT manly...part of being a man in ALL lifeforms involves chasing the FEMALES..I'm only being honest...
    Excuse me?

This has to count as one of the most ridiculous posts that I've read here at MFP. Being a man is having male sex organs. It has nothing to do with gender roles or sexual attraction. According to the simple definition in your post, a rapist would be considered pretty darn manly.

You are perpetuating a stereotype about gay men that is simply not true. Many gay men can fit into the societal definition of manly - sporty, strong, muscular, debonair, hairy...whatever society may consider manly. I don't think that the fact that they don't want to have sex with women makes them any less of a man. For those gay men who don't fit into the manly category...they are still as much of a man as anyone else.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    God hates homo so "no homo" is actually a good thing.
    Milk? I know that homo milk has a high milk fat percentage so maybe God does hate it. God hates Homo Milk!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

^^ Agreed!

I miss Wittgenstein . . .
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, if I'm not inspiring straight men to lust, then I'm not working hard enough.

You body is looking totally great. Amazing transformation --Yes Hetero

There we go, problem solved.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, if I'm not inspiring straight men to lust, then I'm not working hard enough.

You body is looking totally great. Amazing transformation --Yes Hetero

There we go, problem solved.

Thank you, that makes me feel good about myself.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ROLL!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Rollin', rollin', rollin' RAWHIDE.