No Homo?

Options

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Most straight men don't wanna be called girls...I hope...so why on earth would they want another dude to think they were gay?Nothing wrong with clarifying your manliness when in question......
    because gay men aren't 'manly'? LOL wow, expand your horizon's beyond glee please.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I just don't get everyone that gets "hurt" or "offended" at comments not directed at you or anyone in particular. Some people hate the word retarded and yes it is insensitive but someone that looks at a sculpture and says wow that is retarded is not intentionally trying to hurt anyone it is not the same as insulting and mentally handicapped person. People need to quit being some damned sensitive about everything.

Some people really get offended by that though. Unfortunately, they only know that term as having one meaning as pertaining to "people". However...

Definition of retarded: Pertaining to a state of retardation;

re·tar·da·tion
    [ree-tahr-dey-shuhn] Show IPA

noun
    the act of retarding or state of being retarded.

something that retards; hindrance.

slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.

Music. a form of suspension that is resolved upward.

Many meanings for a word. Good to not assume an insult.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    "No homo" is horribly offensive. Personally I won't associate with anybody would have such a homophobic attitude as to be compelled to use this phrase. I will not tolerate homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, ageism, disabilism, or any other ism or obia.

It's very disappointing to me that the moderators of this forum will allow "no homo" comments to go unchecked.

You're one of the ones who clicks 'report post' a lot. . aren't you?
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just don't get everyone that gets "hurt" or "offended" at comments not directed at you or anyone in particular. Some people hate the word retarded and yes it is insensitive but someone that looks at a sculpture and says wow that is retarded is not intentionally trying to hurt anyone it is not the same as insulting and mentally handicapped person. People need to quit being some damned sensitive about everything.
    Its called "common sense"...those who have it are not offended by every shortened word people say/type..
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

The problem that I have with the 'no homo' phrase is the suggestion that a gay man complimenting another man (gay or straight) is somehow inherently sexual. I have said to many of my male friends, gay and straight, that they look buff or their haircut suits them etc. and there is nothing sexual in it. The suggestion in the phrase 'no homo' is the age old homophobic idiom that because I am gay I will automatically want to sleep with 'you' (the heterosexual male) and I am somehow incapable of forming plutonic relationships with other men. That, I find insulting.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    God hates homo so "no homo" is actually a good thing.

always a silver lining. heh
  • Kanohane
    Options
    Most straight men don't wanna be called girls...I hope...so why on earth would they want another dude to think they were gay?Nothing wrong with clarifying your manliness when in question......
    because gay men aren't 'manly'? LOL wow, expand your horizon's beyond glee please.
    Okay...if my man wanted to be called gay or a girl...I'd dump him so fast...I don't know what glee is and....gay me are NOT manly...part of being a man in ALL lifeforms involves chasing the FEMALES..I'm only being honest...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELL I LOVE GAY GUYS,,,, and gals too!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not like this phrase.....again for the reasons stated from people beforehand. Complimenting a person of the same sex does not need to be taken as sexual or anything. Actually people often already have a hard time taking a compliment. Ridiculous. No homo - i think is just unnecessary.

Also, straight people.....you dont need to feel bad about being straight. No one is hating on you. Go straight people! Go gay people!

How about go people.

Compliment with no disclaimer. Hmm? Hey random citizen.....you're beautiful.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "No homo" is horribly offensive. Personally I won't associate with anybody would have such a homophobic attitude as to be compelled to use this phrase. I will not tolerate homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, ageism, disabilism, or any other ism or obia.

It's very disappointing to me that the moderators of this forum will allow "no homo" comments to go unchecked.

You're one of the ones who clicks 'report post' a lot. . aren't you?

I use "ignore" rather than "report". :-p
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    As a queer woman, i too find "no homo" to be very homophobic and insulting.

I'm offended by you calling yourself queer. :)

JK
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    WELL I LOVE GAY GUYS,,,, and gals too!

how much?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are saying people are oversensitive maybe we should use a different phrase that is aimed at another minority.

If I went to someone, 'I like your big booty. No n***a' would you think I was racist?

Just to be clear I would never utter the above phrase and have used it only as an example in the context of this discussion.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Okay...if my man wanted to be called gay or a girl...I'd dump him so fast...I don't know what glee is and....gay me are NOT manly...part of being a man in ALL lifeforms involves chasing the FEMALES..I'm only being honest...
    Funny how one can be reading along in a thread like this and think, hey, this is actually going pretty well, there's a pretty fair sharing of ideas going on here, very cool!

And then there's a car wreck.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are saying people are oversensitive maybe we should use a different phrase that is aimed at another minority.

If I went to someone, 'I like your big booty. No n***a' would you think I was racist?

Just to be clear I would never utter the above phrase and have used it only as an example in the context of this discussion.

Homo is short for homosexual is it not? Since when is calling someone a heterosexual or homosexual derogatory?

If this is what the world has now come to. Please kill me now.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I hate when people feel the need to say "girl crush" or "man crush" on someone of the same sex to not sound gay. If you have a crush, you're attracted in some way. I have a crush on Zoey Deschanel. Still straight. Get over it, world.
  • Kanohane
    Options
    Funny how one can be reading along in a thread like this and think, hey, this is actually going pretty well, there's a pretty fair sharing of ideas going on here, very cool!

And then there's a car wreck.
    You must be that wreck.....
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's just another internet meme. They're always offensive to someone.

This.

It's like saying, "do you even lift, brah."

They don't really think you're a bra.

Calling someone "bro" (even if they pronounce it wrong) is NOTHING LIKE using a derrogatory term.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I have to say that despite some of the nonsense that has been included in this thread, it's been surprisingly positive. I've received quite a few encouraging messages and friend requests. For the most part, you MFP'ers are awesome!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people people need to exert their heterosexuality. But I am a different case all together. I assume that most people are gay, because most of the people in my life are, and that is the way I like...that brings me joy.