Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Katy_Perry_Elmo.gif

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow...never meant to be so controversial...

I will agree that it's not entirely the media's fault. It's a lot of things added up together...peers, family (it was my MOM that put me on my first diet at 5...she had an ED), perceived expectations from the other gender, media, etc. My original point is that it doesn't HELP to see that they take someone who is SOOOOO beautiful and still feel the need to "enhance" her image.

Can you imagine how it feels to be one of the most beautiful women in the world and told that you're STILL not enough? I'll take my "average" looks any day and forego that stress...
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you women feel pissed, imagine how pissed they must be having their arses sucked in a few inches and chest enhanced etc etc lol

^^ I was totally thinking this...
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    "Women - you're leaking, ageing, hairy, overweight and everything hurts - and your childrens' clothes are filthy."

Mitchell & Webb's look at gender-targetted advertising in the UK. Scarily accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFOelpE_8
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think we all understand that generally women are going to want "imperfections" photoshopped if possible. So the bags under the eyes, pores, moles, getting perkier boobs, etc... I can totally understand. What kills me are the pictures where muscles are photoshopped out (to give a long lean look) rather than a fit/strong look. If it were me, I'd be pissed! I worked for those muscles!! (And the Kelly Clarkson one is just ridiculous. They easily shaved off 20+ pounds!)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Can you imagine how it feels to be one of the most beautiful women in the world and told that you're STILL not enough? I'll take my "average" looks any day and forego that stress...

Can't agree with you on that one. If someone wants to pay me bundles of cash to take my picture then photoshop the hell out of it I guess I'm going to say thank you, on my way to the bank to deposit this now!
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've only skimmed through the comments, but I saw a few people mention how "it's just a photo!" or "everyone knows it's photoshopped!" etc. etc. I think it's important to consider that most of these photos tend to be on the covers of magazines accompanied by articles like "how to get so-and-so's boobs" or "how to get so-and-so's bum" or whatever. So maybe the photos themselves aren't problematic, but when the magazine is implying that you're going to be prettier/better/more successful if you look like the (completely unattainable) magazine cover – and here's how you do it! – THAT'S a little problematic. Step-by-step instructions on how to drive yourself mad trying to look like a body on a magazine cover that doesn't even exist.

Also, I think it's easy as adults to recognize that the magazine covers are digitally manipulated, but I remember it took me a while to figure that out (I went through a period of reading tabloids from ~6th grade to 8th grade and it wasn't until 8th grade or so that I realized they were bs and stopped). My parents were probably just as oblivious as I was and didn't even know it was a problem, let alone that they should "sit me down" and talk about it. Obviously today magazines are more universally recognized as "fake," but you still see people chasing after impossible bodies through things like thinspiration and fitspiration (the bodies in the images are very often photoshopped). So the issue is manifesting itself in different forms and creating the same effect, and we're not always instantly aware of it because it's not in the form of a magazine cover.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts:
    Is this morally much different to them having a very expensive makeup artist do their makeup and hair before going on stage? Something out of reach of most people.

Is this morally much different to male models seriously dehydrating themselves before a photoshoot to get the best definition?

The magazines publish what sells.
    What people WANT.

It's always easy to blame 'the big man'; but in reality it's the little people on the ground that have the real power as a collective.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Having been in the media business for a second, it is hands down all about money. They don't care about what you want or don't want or how you feel. Put a beautiful face on a cover and 9 times out of 10 it will catch the consumer's eye and then the headlines will do the rest. Cha-ching! $5 for a bunch of pretty colored paper with pictures on it.

Should parents teach their children about self esteem and body image? Of course, but how many parents are out there that are broken adults? How many parents are out there who are barely holding on to their own self worth for whatever reason? How many times does a mother tell herself in a day that she is fat, her hair isn't right, she's too short, too tall, too slow, too tired, too this or too that? How can she possibly explain to her daughter the trappings of the visual media when she can't even enjoy a non self-critical day?

Does media take things a little too far sometimes? Of course (i.e. Ralph Lauren a few years ago). Do parents ignore what children are bombarded with? Totally. But at the end of the day, magazines are trying to make money, stay relevant, and stay afloat. Hell...even Oprah has her *kitten* photo shopped on her covers. What do you expect? It is a fantasy. I am to the point in my life now where most of the time that crap doesn't bother me and maybe that's because I've seen the other side of it, but it isn't real. It just another form of escapism. Reality TV isn't real. Taylor Swift's surprise "OMG I won" face isn't real. And what you see on a mag cover or in between the perfect bound pages isn't real either.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Not necessarily... aren't there studies out there that tell us that teenagers that have a meal with their family have higher self-esteem? I recall there being a few out there.... Kids that have a strong family unit will be less likely to fall into these social traps.

I'm not saying don't try or that you will have no influence. I'm saying that it isn't going to be possible to completely eradicate these influences from the lives of kids or adults.

I agree with those who say teach them show them that these images aren't even real. The internet is great for that. I hope a lot of teenage girls and boys see these.

And I was serious about banning bringing these magazines to school. Why allow it? They're a frivolous distraction.

Also someone else in this thread said anyone who looks at magazines and bases their self-esteem on it isn't too bright. Well I've got a decently above average IQ and I've been fighting EDs since my teens. So whoever said that, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Seriously? Censorship is the solution? Okay.

You keep calling things "influences"; people DO have the power to strip things of their influence. People are surrounded by THOUSANDS of things that could be influences on a daily basis. Based on either your existing ideas, your existing notions, whatever, you might resist them without even realizing it. The goal would be to have this set firmly in place before a child is even exposed to other children, let alone anything else they face, and then constantly reaffirmed at home.

The person who said someone isn't too bright if they look at a magazine said absolutely nothing about IQ and EDs. They were pointing out that, probably for at least the last decade, photoshopping is SO well known, SO exposed, and SO often criticized, that it's a point of ridiculousness to still think those pictures are "real." If someone with an ED cannot grasp that, that doesn't mean they *aren't* bright, it's just further evidence of a warped perception. Which is what is par and parcel with EDs: body dysmorphia, warped perception, etc.

You have given nothing but slippery slope arguments to this discussion. Is it possible for you to step back and look at the "roots" of the issue, not just the most "out there" symptom?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    this, among many other societal factors. My boyfriend told me about something he heard on the radio. Were from MD so around the super bowl everyone was obviously talking about the ravens. So one of the ravens cheerleaders calls in to the station complaining because shes been a cheerleader for (I cant remember how many) years and she didnt get to go to the superbowl and perform. The justification was that there was limited space and she had gained 6 pounds.

It made me really, really sad.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.

I don't agree with what he said.....but I also think you got ramped up really quickly. Tough day today huh?

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I've only skimmed through the comments, but I saw a few people mention how "it's just a photo!" or "everyone knows it's photoshopped!" etc. etc. I think it's important to consider that most of these photos tend to be on the covers of magazines accompanied by articles like "how to get so-and-so's boobs" or "how to get so-and-so's bum" or whatever. So maybe the photos themselves aren't problematic, but when the magazine is implying that you're going to be prettier/better/more successful if you look like the (completely unattainable) magazine cover – and here's how you do it! – THAT'S a little problematic. Step-by-step instructions on how to drive yourself mad trying to look like a body on a magazine cover that doesn't even exist.

Also, I think it's easy as adults to recognize that the magazine covers are digitally manipulated, but I remember it took me a while to figure that out (I went through a period of reading tabloids from ~6th grade to 8th grade and it wasn't until 8th grade or so that I realized they were bs and stopped). My parents were probably just as oblivious as I was and didn't even know it was a problem, let alone that they should "sit me down" and talk about it. Obviously today magazines are more universally recognized as "fake," but you still see people chasing after impossible bodies through things like thinspiration and fitspiration (the bodies in the images are very often photoshopped). So the issue is manifesting itself in different forms and creating the same effect, and we're not always instantly aware of it because it's not in the form of a magazine cover.

Good points.

Although the ones I find really funny are targeted at older women and have a gorgeous skinny young woman on the cover and then alternating ads that go something like:

Lose 10 pounds in three days!

The most sinfully delicious chocolate cake recipe ever!

Salon hair every day!

The latest Dr. Oz diet really works!

Ten dining experiences you won't want to miss!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhh. OK. So it's the same for guys. The picture on the front of the underwear I buy is a guy that's carved out of wood with a six pack. Sure those guys are out there but I'd say it's not the majority of the male population. The real problem is women place an INSANE amount of imporantance on fashion and appearance to the point where appearance becomes an official hobby. If you really want to get rid of your body issues stop following trends and stop reading these garbage magazines. You're brainwashing yourselves ladies. No sympathy here.

It's really not the same for guys, not by a long shot. Cultural expectations of women are far harsher than they are of men. It comes down to good parenting to break the cycle.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Not necessarily... aren't there studies out there that tell us that teenagers that have a meal with their family have higher self-esteem? I recall there being a few out there.... Kids that have a strong family unit will be less likely to fall into these social traps.

I'm not saying don't try or that you will have no influence. I'm saying that it isn't going to be possible to completely eradicate these influences from the lives of kids or adults.

I agree with those who say teach them show them that these images aren't even real. The internet is great for that. I hope a lot of teenage girls and boys see these.

And I was serious about banning bringing these magazines to school. Why allow it? They're a frivolous distraction.

Also someone else in this thread said anyone who looks at magazines and bases their self-esteem on it isn't too bright. Well I've got a decently above average IQ and I've been fighting EDs since my teens. So whoever said that, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Seriously? Censorship is the solution? Okay.

You keep calling things "influences"; people DO have the power to strip things of their influence. People are surrounded by THOUSANDS of things that could be influences on a daily basis. Based on either your existing ideas, your existing notions, whatever, you might resist them without even realizing it. The goal would be to have this set firmly in place before a child is even exposed to other children, let alone anything else they face, and then constantly reaffirmed at home.

The person who said someone isn't too bright if they look at a magazine said absolutely nothing about IQ and EDs. They were pointing out that, probably for at least the last decade, photoshopping is SO well known, SO exposed, and SO often criticized, that it's a point of ridiculousness to still think those pictures are "real." If someone with an ED cannot grasp that, that doesn't mean they *aren't* bright, it's just further evidence of a warped perception. Which is what is par and parcel with EDs: body dysmorphia, warped perception, etc.

You have given nothing but slippery slope arguments to this discussion. Is it possible for you to step back and look at the "roots" of the issue, not just the most "out there" symptom?

I didn't say censor. I said don't bring them to school. Big huge difference. These are not study materials and some parents would prefer their children weren't constantly exposed to them more than they already are, so why not forbid them in schools?

Also, I started crash dieting in the 1980s, so yeah, way before this stuff was well known.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This isn't THE REASON women have body issues... although it may be a small part of it. Photoshopping is a normal part of the entertainment industry. Honestly, they're beautiful even before they were photoshopped. *shrug* Women have body issues because of a number of reasons that I couldn't even begin to list in an MFP forum.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

^ Boom. Welcome to the forums, where so much of that advice leaks into daily posts of, "Which body do you want to get?," "I read about Raspberry Ketones," or "Anyone tried the Military Diet?"

These magazines are constantly pushing all sorts of agendas, and are often the #1 place we see photoshopping.

I wouldn't say the problem is what the magazine is implying, though; the problem is in the susceptibility of people who are unwilling, or maybe unable, to think for themselves. Which I suppose is a much larger issue to tackle than in a thread about photoshopping.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Magazines are designed and marketed to tell you what you want to hear and see. That's why Dr. Oz's "Lose 40 lbs in 14 days" articles are on the cover and the magazines are in the check out line at the store.

As far as photo shopping women in the magazines, it's just common practice now. We know it happens, we expect it to happen and we should take that into consideration when we look at it. We should explain to our kids that this thing happens..as a matter of fact, most of the kids these days already know because they're doing the same thing with photo shop in school.

There are women in real life and in movies both that have literally taken my breath away because they were that beautiful. There are women that I considered pretty, that once I got to know them, they are now drop dead gorgeous, and likewise, women that I thought were beautiful ended up opening their mouth and now they're at most a "meh...she's ok."

Everything is perception. IF you decided to compare yourself to magazine covers, that's your choice, work hard to achieve that goal or give up and use it as some thing to blame...but just because YOU (universal "you" not specifically directed at the OP) decided to use the magazine cover as your role model doesn't mean everyone else should.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Photoshop is an art unto itself IMO. If I was going to have my image thrown onto magazine covers I'd want a little help too. Most of it is lighting and tone corrections. The Kelly Clarkson one was a bit much, but meh. This is basically advertising, after all. It has to be over the top. Most cars you see on the road aren't clean but you don't see dirty ones in commercials.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I didn't say censor. I said don't bring them to school. Big huge difference. These are not study materials and some parents would prefer their children weren't constantly exposed to them more than they already are, so why not forbid them in schools?

Also, I started crash dieting in the 1980s, so yeah, way before this stuff was well known.

While I get what you're trying to say, banning them would just increase the appeal.