Cilantro. Why?

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, cilantro is f***ing disgusting. I can only handle it in tiny, tiny amounts. Preferably dried, not fresh. Ack.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Too much is a bad thing, but its one of my favorite ingredients to add to recipes!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In the past I found it very tinny tasting and didn't like it much. But it does help cleanse heavy metal out of the system, which for me is reason enough to eat it. I've come to accept it and appreciate it for its redeeming qualities.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones, I love it. I add it to my pulled pork tacos along with lime juice, queso fresco and diced white onion. ♥
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't mind cilantro either way. I don't notice it's presence or not.

It makes my husband very sick if he eats it (even if he doesn't know it was in the dish), and it lasts all night. So, we don't cook with it and we always order food without it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Love it.

20 years ago, on the east coast, I used to pay big bucks for a little bundle of coriander (cilantro). I remember the first time I shopped out here in AZ and they had these big bundles for dirt cheap. I flipped out!
    After about a month, my wife threatened to kill me if I kept finding ways of adding cilantro to every last thing I cooked.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing

1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
    1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
    1 -2 garlic clove
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Directions:
    1Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.2Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Evidently there is a gene involved with this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/cilantro-aversion-gene-study_n_1901124.html

A new study seeking to better understand why some people have such a strong aversion to cilantro has identified two genetic variants linked to perception of the herb, the most common of which is a gene involved in sensing smells.

Nature reports that a genetic survey of nearly 30,000 people, led by Nicholas Eriksson at the consumer genetics firm 23andMe, asked participants whether or not cilantro tasted like soap and whether or not they liked it. The strongest-linked variant is traced to a cluster of olfactory-receptor genes that influence smell. One of those genes is OR6A2, which is very sensitive to the aldehyde chemicals that give cilantro its distinctive flavor.

Eriksson says that nearly half of all Europeans have two copies of this variant, and of those people, 15 percent reported a soapy taste. In contrast, 13 percent of Europeans had no copies, and 11.5 percent of this group said cilantro tasted like soap.

Took me awhile to get used to it, but I enjoy it now.

Is there a gene variant that makes men's baby batter taste like pool cleaner?
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the pages so this may have been referred to already, but genenticists suggest according to their recent study, that we are genetically predispositioned to like it or hate it. It's definitely a controvercial herb... no one seems to "not mind it" - intstead they HATE it. No one likes it a little... They LOVE it. LOL. I personally can't get enough of it... love it enough to add to nearly every meal I have. Thinking about it now makes me want it. Here's a link to the blog regarding the study:

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/cilantro-love-hate-genetic-trait/
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I put cilantro on my balut (dead duck fetus).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You eat balut! Brave man
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Seriously, no one has wondered why all these people know what Dawn dishsoap tastes like? PICA people...

Nah mean mother's who didn't like dirty words coming out of mouths.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I have friends who have the "cilantro tastes like soap" gene.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I can only seem to tolerate it in certain Mexican dishes.

Otherwise it really tastes overpowering. Bleh.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    :heart: Cilantro in small doses. It is great in Pho, and other Asian dishes, however, I agree, too much tastes soapy. I am not sure I would like it in salad. Love it in Soups, Red Pork Sandwiches, chopped up on lettuce wrap. Yum!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I put cilantro on everything...I adore it! The more the haters, the more cilantro I get!
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I bought a very large, very pretty salad for lunch today. About half way in, I got a nice leafy chunk of cilantro in my mouth..... because I was just thinking "You know what would make this salad even more awesome? A big squirt of Dawn dishsoap!" UGHH.

My lunch, and possibly my life, is ruined. That is so foul, who likes that stuff???? I know that it's some weird genetic fluke that makes it taste like that for some people but omg......thanks a lot, death weed.

cilantro_no.jpg

I love it, hubby hates it with vengance.
    What's a curry without it? Nothing.
    I could eat a bunch raw....
    Am I wierd?
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love Cilantro! However what I can *not* stand is the taste of tequila. How does anyone drink that stuff?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    WTF...What? I LOVE cilantro. I can make a great salad with nothing green BUT cilantro. I have it growing in my garden so I never run out. Delicious....
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    LOL I hear people say this all the time. Cilantro tastes like dish soap to them... I love cilantro, but maybe I burned all my taste buds out drinking scalding, black coffee lol
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love Cilantro! However what I can *not* stand is the taste of tequila. How does anyone drink that stuff?

Tequila and cilantro shots! Heaven!