Family member refuses

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Anyways there are other ways and means of taking her out,

I read this, and for a brief second...you know what, I won't go there. You already know what I assumed. xD
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Anyways there are other ways and means of taking her out,

I read this, and for a brief second...you know what, I won't go there. You already know what I assumed. xD

lmao
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have heard of self defense classes for people using a cane. Maybe she would enjoy something like that - because it has a pratical application.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    IS THIS FOR REAL? HAVE YOU ASKED HER WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO? AFTERALL IT IS HER BODY AND HER LIFE.
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD START OUT SLOW, LIKE TAKING SHORT LEISURELY WALKS WITH HER, GET HER A PED TO TRACK HER STEPS SHE MIGHT LIKE THAT.YOU COULD SPEND THIS TIME TALKING, STORING MEMORIES. PERHAPS GETTING A SIT DOWN EXERCISE DVD, LIKE RICHARD SIMMONS HAS A GREAT ONE AND MUSIC FROM HER TIME, OR SHE MAY RATHER DANCE AROUND THE ROOM WITH NO ROUTINE BUT IF SHE TIRES SHE CAN REST ON HER OWN ENCOURAGE HER BUT DONT CONTROLL HER. YOUR 29, YOUR YOUNG AND BELIEVE ME I KNOW WHEN I WAS TWENTY NINE I COULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND MOST PEOPLE NOW IM 63 FEEL LIKE A 35 YR OLD IN MY MIND AND I KNOW I HAVE TO TAKE IT SLOW AS I GET HEALTHY AND FIT. AND IF YOU LIVE TO BE HER AGE BE THANKFUL. BE THANKFULL FOR THE TIME YOU HAVE WITH HER NOW , DONT PUSH HER TOO HARD OUT OF LOVE THAT MAY BE WHAT TAKES HER AWAY FROM YOU, SHE MAY BE 92 BUT PLEASE DONT TAKE "HER" CHOICES AWAY FROM HER. ONE MORE THING, HAVE YOU TALKED TO HER DOCTOR ABOUT AN EXERCISE PLAN AND A HEALTHY EATING PLAN? YOU MIGHT EVEN WANT HER TO TAKE A PHYSICAL, TO MAKE SURE ITS SAFE FOR HER TO EXERCISE AND WHAT KIND. HER BODY MAY KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT. HOW ABOUT HELPING HER TO SIGN UP FOR MFP SHE MIGHT ENJOY IT AND BE ENCOURAGED.

BY THE WAY IM NOT "YELLING" AT YOU I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS DUE TO MY HANDS.

HOWEVER I DO HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS WHO NEED ENCOURAGEMENT HOWEVER ITS THEIR CHOICE
    THEY HAVE TO WANT IT FOR THEM SELFS TO BE ABLE TO STAY WITH IT. ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT BEING LAZY.

SIGNING OFF WITH A SMILE AND PRAYERS

GRANNY GWEN
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    BY THE WAY IM NOT "YELLING" AT YOU I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS DUE TO MY HANDS.

What's the matter, you got an extra pinkie that leans on the shift key or something?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ok

I'm feeling really attacked right now. My grandmother is a beautiful person and if she just lost an extra 10 pounds or so the quality of her life would sky rocket!

For all you people saying just leave her alone . . What kind of mentality is that?

Where would YOU be with out the helpful encouragement of people like me?

I know my granny can lift that bar bell over her head and by golly she is GOING to do it!
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Now there may be a number of reasons your elderly family member refuses to work out and all these have to be examined. However, you must consider her age and that she may simply be tired.

I am experiencing a similar situation not with my grandmother but with my own mother who is now 83, and thinks I am a total idiot when it comes to the food I eat and cook. I'm not going to change someone who grew up and had children after the war when Millions of dollars were spent to brainwash young women how easy their lives would be eating calorie laced garbage that they fed the troops during WWII! Though my mother is no slouch. Even if she has no logical reason to be shoveling the snow around our house she will just because she says it is good exercise.

Though my mother has no weight problem and in fact I think she is too skinny. We must remember that at different ages, people's metabolisms are different - the chemical plant - also known as the human body - transforms itself over the years. Both in its metabolic needs, its hormonal outputs which influence the digestion of the food they take in to how their systems work.

Give her a break.. you will not change her way of thinking.. The most important thing is that if you think working out is what she needs.. Think also about her food needs and yours.. Like so many times you have heard pay yourself first.. I think it is time that governments start paying them to take care of their health as opposed to dealing with pharma pushing doctors who don't deal with the problem but rather cure the symptom. You should be more concerned about yourself at this point and the young children around you.. No one is being mean, but as they say "You can't teach old dogs new tricks!" and I will add unless you want to go insane trying to do so.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Maybe at your grandmother's age she needs to start eating a few healthy foods. You seem to think that exercise is the only solution it isn't I have had a struggle with weight issues for over 20 years.. Until you change your eating habits as well nothing will change.. and my mother who is 83 is't about to give up a portion of Kentucky Fried Chicken because I will tell her it could kill her. Her response, will be.. . Why am I still here then... You are fighting an uphill battle..
    Ok

I'm feeling really attacked right now. My grandmother is a beautiful person and if she just lost an extra 10 pounds or so the quality of her life would sky rocket!

For all you people saying just leave her alone . . What kind of mentality is that?

I know my granny can lift that bar bell over her head and by golly she is GOING to do it!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Enroll her in the warrior dash. Once she completes that, she'll realize just how important and fun exercise is to her well being.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Ok

This, or gtfo.
    tumblr_ly2xz3OE4r1r1n07ho1_500.jpg
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ok

This, or gtfo.
    tumblr_ly2xz3OE4r1r1n07ho1_500.jpg

This is exactly the motivational support my granny needs.

Is there anyways I can enlarge this for a poster??
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    This thread is so full of both win and fail that I just can't cope....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    At 92 is she going to get a physicians OK to go to the gym and do a treadmill?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    At 92 is she going to get a physicians OK to go to the gym and do a treadmill?

Screw that. Tell granny that if she wants to achieve greatness, she needs to stop asking permission.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    As for the treadmill, is she old enough to still be really xenophobic? Have a friend of another race chase her.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but how bout P90X? I think that's a GREAT option for her. And I'm sure once her endurance builds up, she'll be lifting heavy in no time!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Trust me, pole dancing will have her humpin like a dog trying to pass a peach pit.
  • HappyCamper5166
    Options
    maybe p90x would be something she'd be interested in.:smile:
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ok

This seriously has to be a joke??? Either way this thread has made me laugh so hard a little wee nearly ran down my leg
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I dunno, she's 92.

If I make it to 92, I'm going to eat whatever the hell I want, snort cocaine and have unprotected sex with prostitutes.

^^^ This. :drinker: