WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Barb, golden retriever Scout ate a big plastic washer that had been part of a super-duper dog toy called a Busy Buddy that you put edible rings on. She had managed to unscrew it, and, once in her system, it began catching grass, plastic, and bits of foam out of stuffed toys. She is a giant garbage disposal and chews on everything. When she was younger she focused on corners of wooden cabinets and furniture, but now she is more interested in toys, paper, and what she can grab off of counter-tops and the stove, like butter sizzling in a skillet or the stick of butter from which the butter pats came! Right before I started writing this I was working on today's funeral service and had my back to her, and in two minutes she had eviscerated a formerly intact toy and taken out the squeaker! arghhhhh
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    rfsahae--My son takes the bar in July in NY and is already planning his post-bar trip! Lots of student loans, but at least he knows he has a job post-bar. Congrats on your son's achievement!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Only time for a quick Friday Morning Hi!

Only down .2 of a pound but at least it's going down:wink: Hoping for a good weekend, as it's that two days which seems to get me every time:grumble:

Welcome to the newbies:flowerforyou: This is a great place to be.

Must get back to the papers, only have a half day of work and boy am I glad for that:bigsmile:

Let's all continue the good fight against those excess pounds:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It's a nice sunny day here in the North-East of England. iu'd like to say thanks to everyone who's keeping their fingers crossed for our trip to Rome :flowerforyou: .

Rebel - I hope your husband manages to get a flight. His need is much greater than mine :heart: :heart:

Barb - Linda and Chloe are lucky to have such a good friend

Robin - well done for losing more weight

Mary - well done for staying on ytrack during your vist, it is so difficult

Viv - hope you enjoyed your cake and it didn't give you too much of a taste for sweet things :laugh:

Allison - glad to hear the puppy is better

Kackie - well done on not giving in to the cake and cookies while you were away. I couldn't have done it :blushing:

Barbie - We live near Durham in the North East of England. We have some beautiful scenery around here. We will be flying from Newcastle upon Tyne airport (if we make it)

Laura - you are right, any move down in weight is good :smile:

Newbies - welcome all. This is a great thread!

Hope everyone has a good weekend :smile:
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm using an unfamiliar scale, so I'll take just 2 of the 4+ lb loss that it shows! I feel like I'm back on track (and seeing it too, which is nice).

I mentioned before that I'm visiting my daughter in Pasadena. She actually outweighs me by 100+ pounds. In one way that makes it easier (she'd like to get back on track too) and, in another, harder (she's not there yet). She is being supportive and, really, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Yesterday was a lazy day following, for me, an amazing almost 4 mile walk :laugh: the day before. Today I'm going to see if we can't get a temporary gym membership. I'd like the exercise and it might make a hit with my daughter.

Good luck to all of you. It's great to be part of a group where you can share your successes as well as your struggles. Hopefully more of the former!

-- Mimi (I'll start signing off with Mimi instead of Mary to differentiate from the other Mary on here)
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all ... it's a beautiful evening here in N. Wales. :huh: no sign of any "Icelandic Fall Out"!!!
    I've scooted through the posts and as always I marvel at how you all manage to reply to most of them.:embarassed: I never know where to start!!
    One thing I can comment on is ...... what those Dogs eat!! :noway: Our lovely dear departed German Shepherd had a penchant for socks!! Any colour would do ... oh! and J cloths too!! Luckily they passed through without any trouble. We never did feel the desire to pair them up and wear them again....wonder why?!! :frown: He did however also like to chew wood and stick with disastrous results. A splinter lodged in his throat, worked it's way out but caused a huge abscess. This was removed but he had to spend weeks with an open throat wound so that it would heal.:laugh: Can you imagine...this 7 stone huge black bear of a dog ,walking around with a red neckerchief round his throat!!!
    :sad: I'm sitting here with a heat pad on my shoulder and am about to get some warm water therapy :smile: in the hot tub. The food logs done and I'm in my calories. The weight was the same today too ... better than an increase .
    :cry: A bit tearful this afternoon after our hospital visit. Mum's refusing to eat, wouldn't take her tablets and seems far more confused. how we manage to get her to do her physio etc I don't know .... what to do eh?
    So ...BFN
    :flowerforyou: Take care everyone - great to have you around!!
    :heart: Jackie
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

It's a beautiful day here in NC.

I'm going to be doing some gardening this afternoon.

My son helped me upload some pic's of my doggie. His name is Bandit and came to live with us 2 1/2 years ago when he just showed up and never wanted to leave. I really believe someone just came and put him out in our neighborhood. We live just far enough out of town for the city folks to think they have made it to the country and they seem to think this is a good place to abandon their animals. But in this case it was a good thing for me because I couldn't have asked for a better animal. He was completely trained: sits, lays down and comes when you tell him to. He even will stand at the door and wait until you tell him he can come out. And he loves to fetch! I just cannot understand why someone would give up this dog.

Well I hope you all have a good afternoon and great weekend.

Cindy
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome Babybluebarbie & Candydo: You will find lots of support here! I wish you great success!
    Regarding Wine vs Cookies: rfsahie... I do think the red wine is a better choice BUT you are right about it's affect on self control! I do better passing on the wine too BUT with a group of good girlfriends could only be SO good. Scale stayed the same but I hope to see a bit of a dip tomorrow!?! It has stayed the same lately even with plenty of exercise and staying in calorie range.
    BTW...what happeded to everyone's tickers today? I only see a question mark where they used to be! (Well...never mind...they came back...must be my computer!)
    AllisonMO: Must be tough to do funerals. Do you get used to it?
    Jackie: So sorry you had a tough day at the hospital. I hope that your Mum does better tomorrow. thinking of you.
    Those of you with cooking spouses: How wonderful!!!! I ADORE my husband.(...of 35 years!) He is funny and thoughtful...but I would LOVE help in the kitchen.

Here's to good choices during the weekend everyone! :smile: :smile: :smile: Kackie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - dh laughs at me because I don't use an electric can opener. Had one, gave it away. I would prefer to use a hand crank one. The other reason is if you have an electric one, you need to leave it out on the counter. A hand-held one you can put in the drawer.

Laura - oh, do I ever know how long it takes to catch up. Catching up for the last two weeks took hours. Not sure that I read each and every post thoroughly, tho. I did my best.

Barbie - do you ever have problems finding pants/shorts to fit you? That's one of my problems. If I wanted a size 10 or 12 -- there are loads and loads of them. Then you might find 2 size 8's. Many times that's where it ends. Sometimes I can find a 6. If I'm REALLY lucky, I can find a 4 -- which is the size that I need. Then add to that the fact that I need a petite size, and the choices go even further down. I guess on the bright side, that's less money I can spend...lol

Why is it that unless you log your food that day, it doesn't register? Like I logged my food while I was away, yet those numbers don't show up on the reports. If you add something to your menu the next day, will that be included in the total figures or just what you logged that day?

Congrats Terri on those capris. Doesn't that just feel wonderful?

Mary - that's great. Wish I could swim that far!

Randy - better get down to see a shuttle launch fast. Remember, they'll only have a couple more launches and then no more.

Jackie - I have a fear of swimming, too. I know it's because when I was very young, I was in the ocean and the tide pulled me out. I was so disoriented! Whenever I can't touch the bottom, I get so afraid of being disoriented again. So I totally understand where you are coming from. At the Y here they have these flotation belts, I always wear one when I'm in the deep water. I know that I can't sink because that belt will keep me afloat. I just can't get over that feeling.

Clothing sizes have definitely changed over the years. At least 15 years ago I bought a pair of size 10 shorts. Really, they are a little big on me but I can still wear them. Recently, I bought a pair of size 10 shorts (Liz Claiborne) and they almost fell off me! So I just donated them.

Barb (weaklink) - Slow and steady wins the race, and you're doing just that!

Jackie - I don't like to wear tortous (sp?) underwear. I figure "I am who I am, and if someone doesn't like it, they can just look away". I would rather be comfortable.

Kathy - of course you can join us! Don't even think twice about it. Welcome to all the other newbies.

Jeannie - how wonderful about your daughter! I'm so thrilled for you and her.

Well, Monday I did one of my downloadable workouts on the spinning bike for an hour -- mainly because I wanted to see this one guy at the Y near me. He's quite friendly with a lot of the members and I wanted to give him a printout of the letter I was sent saying that they were reversing their decision and will continue to provide soap. I'm assuming that means just in the shower area, Tues I did 45 min of pilates (I forgot that the fitness classes were being held elsewhere while they repaired the floor) and then 30 minutes of toning, yesterday (Wed) we had a meeting so I did 1 hr of the hula hoop on the WiiFit, today I did Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD and tomorrow it's supposed to be nice weather so I'll do the water aerobics class, then Sat. yoga. That's all I have for right now. Update: it's Friday and I did the wataer aerobics. In a way it was good to be back in the water. They didn't have any water classes in FL, probably because the only pool they have is outdoors. I think they were going to start up their classes again in a week or so. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga and I'm thinking that Sunday I'll do a pilates DVD.

I'm supposed to read a book to the 4 year olds and then talk to the executive director of the Y about "my continued participation on the Board". What I want to focus more on is the fact that I was "told" I needed to buy those tickets, not that we're talking a lot of money, but being told you have to do something. Now had I been "asked", that would have been a different story. Then I need to get the oil in my car changed (I even have a coupon for that).

Well, I'm still on the Board. I explained that it's not the fact of the children's fund that I have a problem with, it's the way in which it was handled. I also explained that I'm not totally new to nonprofits. I was sec'y of a nonprofit for about 3 years. When dh was transferred and I left them, the founders came to me and said "what are we going to do without you, you did such a great job of getting us organized". Organization is one of my strengths, fundraising is definitely not. So the executive director said that he was going to put me more into organization (like they evidentally need to do some organizing when they get the pledge cards ready) so that I'm comfortable.

Oh, how I know how hard it is to stand by while someone is hurting themselves. I remember when FIL was sick, he was on dialysis. His routine was get up, eat breakfast, go to dialysis, come home, take a pain pill, lay in bed, get up, eat lunch, take a pain pill, lay in bed, get up, eat dinner, take a pain pill, lay in bed, One time I said to him "dad, it would probably help if you walked some, even just around the living room". His answer to me? "I don't want to talk to you about exercise". The next month his M.D. told him he should be exercising, so he started walking around his block. Only too little too late -- his muscles had already atropied.

Denise, hope you get to Rome -- even if it is a bit later than you expected.

Rebel - hugs to you

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Michele - wow an hour of hula hooping on Wii fit? I am exhausted after one 6 minute session. (I do like it though)

I am having trouble getting myself motivated to do anything around the house that needs being done. all I want to do is exercise. Not a bad thing but my house is filthy and I have so much yard work to do. I just don't want to do it. At least I cleaned the kitchen today.

We bought a new grill last week end so it has been getting lots of use and DH does the cooking. I love it.

Tomorrow I will be out on Cameno Island at my Dad's place. I go out and help his girlfriend with the gardening out there because it is a big place and Dad can't help at all. It give me a chance to visit so its good. Plus it is hard core yard work and I burn calories:happy:

I hope you all have a great weekend.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    -- Mimi (I'll start signing off with Mimi instead of Mary to differentiate from the other Mary on here)
    Mimi/Mary - It's okay, I just take all the complimentary things people say about you and pretend they are for me! :laugh:
    Congrats on the loss - Mary
  • marioz49
    marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have only just turned 50 and I am realising that 50 is a time when you really start thinking about your hair, your make up, your complexion, your weight, your future....I am really determined to loose weight this year and I am super proud of the weight that I have lost already. I have been walking between 30-50minutes every day with my dog since January, but I know that the hard part is yet to come....I will really have to push myself to walk in the rain during winter. I have already been caught out once and got soaked during one walk.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, I like this picture much better.:wink: LOL
    :sad: Hubby decided Chinese Buffet for Dinner. So I guess I'm doin the 4 mile tonight.
    :noway: I have a baby shower for my DIL tomorrow and a dedication ceremony for my grand daughter on Sunday.
    :bigsmile: Please pray with me. "Dear Lord, put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth, when I am tempted to eat ANY of the tasty little morsels that I KNOW I don't really need this weekend". In Jesus' name I pray.
    :heart: Love((( Hugs))) and Prayers for all, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    rfsahae--My son takes the bar in July in NY and is already planning his post-bar trip! Lots of student loans, but at least he knows he has a job post-bar. Congrats on your son's achievement!

:happy: Congrats to your son too. They have both been going to school for a LONG time (21 years). Hats off to them.

My son does not have a job offer. It's not for lack of grades - he's in the top 1% in an excellent, well respected law school. He works on their publications. He worked for a professor for two years. Clerked with a judge. Should be a great candidate, but isn't. Why? His problem is that he is grossly overweight - and while we don't talk about it, can't talk about it yet... (after the bar), it's so sad. Frankly, I don't know what to do. I mean, I'm not a great example myself, 45 lbs over my ideal weight, but he is 200 lbs over his ideal.

This is a good topic for the group. How do you talk to a very very smart person who is on a very bad path and totally unapproachable. Totally.... I just hold my tongue and keep offering love and support. It's heartbreaking. :brokenheart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Alison, our beloved Golden Retriever, Shilo, nibbled on the corners of furniture and the bottom molding near the floor. She once consumed enough of a motel blanket that we had to pay for the blanket. As she got older she limited herself to bread and sandwiches stolen from the table or the kitchen counter One time when we were visiting friends for dinner, I was so busy watching Brandy (our black poodle who was a puppy at that time) that I didn't see Shilo take the remainders of the loaf of homemade bread that had been carried to the kitchen. I arrange the food in my kitchen cupboard with everything edible that's not in a can on a high shelf because Shilo liked to help herself to whatever was at her level.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Brandy, the black poodle pulls the cat food dishes off the counter and licks them clean. she also chewed on a flash drive that one of the cats has pushed onto the floor......Sasha, the red poodle doesn't steal food but she has munched on a hardcover library book, an expensive slipper, and one of DH's favorite books and we finally gave up on electric blankets after she started pulling the wires out of them........

:flowerforyou: Denise, thanks for telling me where you are....I'm thinking happy thoughts for your trip to Rome.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Mimi, good luck to you and your daughter.....it helped me when my hubby and I started our weight loss journey together and supported each other

:flowerforyou: Jackie, sorry to hear that your shoulder is still ailing and that your mum is not responding as well as you had hoped.......rest, laugh, pray, but don't eat as a solution.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, how blessed Bandit is to have found you......he is darling......our older cat, Haifa, was abandoned as a tiny kitten at a highway rest stop and we found him in 1995

:flowerforyou: Michele, I've had a hard time finding pants that fit. There is one store in the next town 30 minutes away that has some Levi's in size 4 but nothing smaller and only a few styles. Fortunately I'm fine if I have a few things to wear and a working washer and dryer.......If I lived near Nordstroms or some other high end store there might be more choices, but I wouldn't be able to afford them :laugh: I love hearing about your varied workouts, you do so much fun stuff.

:flowerforyou: Robin, I'm like you.......I do my laundry and keep my kitchen clean but tend to ignore everything else.....we had 60 degree weather today and I went outside and pulled all the weeds along the driveway and the path (the ones I see every morning when I walk the dogs)....it was very satisfying......with a warm afternoon, I'm not at all surprised to look out the window and see that it started to rain.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: memarioz you have come to the right place......you'll get support and encouragement, great ideas, and laughter on this thread......I hope we'll hear from you often.

:flowerforyou: Rose your new picture is fabulous......that's how I imagine you, thanks for posting it.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: rfsahae you are right about how heartbreaking it is to watch someone you love continue to be unhealthy......if anyone had the answer to how to approach them, they'd get rich sharing it......one thing I know is that the closer you are to someone, the less likely you are to have success.....sometimes friends can do it, but usually not parents or spouses.----prayer might be a good start

:flowerforyou: babybluebarbie, you've come to the right place.......the Barbara's on this thread have all made good progress so that should be a good omen for you......this thread had the most supportive and wonderful women.....I hope you'll take the time to get to know us.

:flowerforyou: I guess I'll walk the dogs now before it's dark and raining......last night my pedometer fell out of my pocket and after 20 minutes of searching for it including going out in the back yard with the flashlight, I found it under a chair near the exercise bike .:heart::heart: :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My son in law is also probably 200 lbs over his ideal weight, and also a lawyer. I never brought up the subject, but I think that I have had some influence on him. I went to work on myself, and talked openly about MFP to my daughter when she asked how I was doing it. He must have been watching me to see if it worked because after about 6 months, he asked me for a link to the website. That was last fall, and he has lost 50 lbs. I pray that he stays with it. I have also helped to inspire other relatives just by example. In the past 8 months or so, I have had many family members sign up with MFP due to watching my success. I just did the current math - the 9 of us who are active on the site have lost a total of 398 pounds! I pray for all of my family and my cyberfriends to enjoy continued success on our journey. Here's to smart choices!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I've had a hard time finding pants that fit. There is one store in the next town 30 minutes away that has some Levi's in size 4 but nothing smaller and only a few styles. Fortunately I'm fine if I have a few things to wear and a working washer and dryer.......If I lived near Nordstroms or some other high end store there might be more choices, but I wouldn't be able to afford them :laugh: I love hearing about your varied workouts, you do so much fun stuff.

Actually, the truth of the matter is that I have a short attention span and do different things because I get bored!

Bummer....I've been looking for a nice dusty rose top to match this jacket and pants that I have. I found a really nice one, and I think the lighter color would match. But they didn't have any small petite size in the lighter color, and the medium is much too big. The only reason I can get away with this mfgr's small petite is because it has a cap sleeve. Otherwise, for a sleeveless shirt, I have to go with a mfgr who tends to cut their clothes on the small side. Problems...Problems.

Michele
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good Morning everyone from a sunny - but cold York. :smile:

Just dropping in to say Hi . Not been back long from our morning dog walk, a bit later than during the week, we always have a bit of lie in on a Saturday and Sunday. :smile:

You all seem so busy and yet still manage to get a few hours exercise in, I have not been on my trampoline for over a week now. :frown: I will have to schedule some time in next week, even if it is for 10 mins. I've found a good workout for the trampoline on another website so will have to give it a go. I have been trying to jog a bit on our doggie walks though and skip and hop about etc. I think the dogs think I am going crazy, but I think they like me to chase them. :laugh:

Just found out that Frankie ate Hubbys lunchtime sandwiches yesterday, don't know the full story yet as hubby never mentioned it yesterday, but he knows better than to leave food within reach of Frankie (this is not the first time Frankie has eaten hubbys dinner!) .

:flowerforyou: Allison I'm so glad your puppy is okay.

:flowerforyou: Denise I only had a small piece of cake yesterday, nibbled on a few grapes and strawberries instead, so I didn't do too badly. :smile:

:flowerforyou: Jackie I hope your mum seems less confused on your next visit. Could she be on any medication that is making her confused? Did the heat/water help your shoulder?

:flowerforyou: Rose I loved the little prayer you put on your post, I think I'll hve to say it every day - maybe even twice a day :bigsmile:

I have a busy Saturday planned - give the house a clean up, mop the floors, laundry etc so I'd better make a start. My daughter works on a farm looking after horses, and we have to go back tonight to check on them to give them water and hay to last until morning as their owner has gone away for a few days. I sometimes go with her during the day on a weekend (in the summer) there's nothing like mucking out to help lose a few calores and give you back ache :laugh:

:drinker: Welcome to the newbies hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

It's 9.30 am better get a move on or I won't have time to finish everything - Shame! :laugh:

Viv :heart: :heart:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning and a hello to all the new gals!

Well, I dug a great big hole for my blueberry plant, and got 5 rows of green beans planted yesterday:flowerforyou: but one of my favorite earrings fell out of my ear in the process:sad: It was one of those kinds that has the really long back but I guess it just worked its way out with all the bending over I was doing.

Today should be another pretty day here and I haven't settled on what I'm going to do exactly.

Well, just a quick check in and to read the posts.

BBL

Cindy
  • LollyOllie
    Options
    Greetings,
    I am approx 90 days (13 weeks) to my 50th B'day.
    I would like to use this as motivation.

Monday I weighed 206 (the most I have ever ever weighed)
    when I got married 32 years ago I weighed 138 and today weight 202.5. thats about 65lbs.
    I am 5.9" and probably would be healthy at 150lbs...... so 52 lbs would be 4lbs a week. I am not that unrealistic.

But I think I should be able to loose 15 or 20lbs by my 50th birthday. thats about a 1 1/2 or less a week.

I am excited about this forum and the accoutabilty, encouragement and motivation.
    L