WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options

Replies

• mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’m still in Pasadena at my daughter’s, with time on my hands because she’s at work today. I’m procrastinating right now, visiting one of my favorite places (MFP, specifically this thread). :love: I should be working on our family cookbook. It’s going to be nice … if I can just get it done! It’s too big to do in Word … it kept blowing up. I’ve finally learned enough InDesign to do it but I’m thoroughly intimidated. I promise myself to get back to it (as soon as I finish this post and do a little exercise!) :laugh:

So far, this trip has gone really well. :smile: My visit with a friend a couple of weeks ago didn’t go so well :grumble: as I didn’t take control of what I was eating. It’s easier with my daughter because I don’t feel as though I have to be as “polite!” She’s actually very supportive and is getting on this band wagon herself. It would have been easy with my friend too if I’d let her know ahead of time! :wink: Lesson learned.

Viv, I like your attitude: “Everyday is a new day.” That’s the right attitude for staying on track. When I start getting down on myself is when I start to have trouble staying on track. Strange but true. Congrats on staying on track today. :flowerforyou:

MacMadame, You’re an inspiration! :happy: Thanks for staying on MFP and inspiring the rest of us even though you’ve reached goal weight. It helps the idea sink in that losing the weight is only part of it. Keeping it off deserves just as much attention.

Barb, You sound like a good friend And your 53 lbs is awesome. Almost half way there! The walk sounds lovely.:happy:

Jeannie, Re the opinion poll: I colored my hair for years. Went to my natural color (part gray – at least it’s silvery not yellowy) about a year ago. I keep thinking about coloring it again, or at least doing low lights. But everyone says keep it natural.

Hmmmm. It’s a tossup for me. Coloring my hair makes me feel as though I look younger but that’s not what I’m hearing from everyone else. I’ll post a current pic soon (although the one up now shows the silver) and get some more opinions. (so I can be more confused!) :laugh: Good luck deciding! And, you’re right, this is a wonderful forum group! :love:

Robin, You are going strong! Congrats on getting to your May goal so fast. Every time I read someone’s post about loving the way they feel when they exercise, I feel encouraged to keep at it. :heart: :heart:

Mary, Hey, gray hair is way better than bad breath and stinky feet! You made me smile. :laugh:

SuzyW, Urgh. Stop when you’re around 60, huh? I guess it is time for me to forget about coloring my hair, now that I’m approaching 62. (62, are you kidding?) :noway: Unfortunately for me, I inherited wrinkly, saggy skin (thanks, Mom!) so the silvery brown probably complements the skin more than all brown (even with highlights). :wink:

You are getting so close to your goal! Congrats on a good job. :flowerforyou: I love the quote in your signature…”Forget motivation. Just do it...”) I’m going to make that part of my mantra!

Renny, Awesome bike ride. :happy: Your part of the country is so beautiful. My sister used to live in Maple Ridge, B.C., and we’d visit Victoria from time to time. What a great place.

Kackie, Your best bet is to think about what a good job you're doing to hop right back on. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Everybody gets off track. It’s the willingness to get back on that makes the difference. :smile: I find that beating myself up :devil: absolutely, definitely, without a single doubt NEVER works for me! I look at getting off track for a day or two as good practice for the rest of my life. We’ll ALWAYS get off track from time to time. As long as we get right back on, we can pat ourselves on the back!! Good job for getting right back with it. :flowerforyou:

Doobiedoo, Good heavens…14 kids? And still standing? :noway: I give you lots of credit. And good job on the 26 lbs lost. :flowerforyou:

Faye, Kudos to you for staying on a healthy track. :flowerforyou: And good going on the gym. That’s inspiring. BTW, the only way I can respond to the individual posts (which I do only once in awhile for which all breathe a sigh of thanks!) is to open two windows: MFP in one and Word in the other. When I’m done, I copy my Word doc into my reply.

AnotherYearOlder, Maybe you can substitute cooking good snacks for the old baking. I love roasting veggies. :heart: I often eat a big platter of roasted veggies before thinking about dinner, and sometimes before lunch. It’s like magic. All the munchies go away. Adding more (good stuff) works better for me than focusing on restricting what I eat. This is a first for me and I’m amazed about how extravagant and delicious eating has become. :laugh:

Amalia, Two kilos lost is a great start. Being in a wheelchair has got to make it much harder. I have a similar resistance to exercise but, little by little, mostly due to the encouragement I get from reading the posts of the folks on MFP who are exercising, I’m doing more of it. Carbs were hard for me too until I started eating more veggies. (I know, I sound like a broken record. But I’m so amazed at the difference eating lots (and lots!) of veggies makes. The veggies have far fewer carbs than grains, etc. For me, they're better roasted (475 for 10-15 minutes, depending on the veggie) than raw. Keep up with your good start! :flowerforyou:

Suzanita, Congrats on getting right back on track. The first day back is always the hardest. And congrats too on being more than half way to your goal. What a good feeling that must be! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: Hubby is on his way home today.......he's driving up I-5 in Oregon right now and will decide as the day goes on whether to drive straight through or stay in a motel overnight and finish the drive in the morning.

:flowerforyou: My friend who was supposed to come for a visit this morning, called and said she was sick and couldn't make it, so I got out the yoga mat and did a 20 minute yoga session and and 15 minutes of Leslie Sansone's easy pilates.......The poodles stayed on the couch during the yoga but were very "helpful" with the pilates...they especially like the exercises where you flutter your hands and kept putting their paws on my hands as I fluttered.:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: On the subject of carbs, I want to echo everyone who has spoken in favor of vegetables........I used to fill up on healthy bread, oatmeal, cereal, and brown rice and when I gradually eliminated them from my eating, I lost weight and the longer I am without them, the less I crave them..........my biggest return to old behavior was the night that I found myself eating handfuls of Kashi Go Lean Crunch right out of the box
    I have oatmeal and applesauce at bedtime sometimes and have brown rice from time to time but since you can have a mountain of vegetables for the same calories as a cup of brown rice, the choice is obvious.

:flowerforyou: I'm not doing a long post right now, but when I try to respond to everyone, I open MFP in two windows so I can write my reply in one window and read the posts in the other window. Responding to all the posts isn't about having a good memory, it's about know the technology tricks:laugh:

:flowerforyou: The problem with yoga and pilates is that from that angle on the ground I can see all the places I never dust :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: My new profile picture was taken in January...I posted it so you could see what color my hair is.......coloring is such a personal decision......my mom colored her hair from her 30's until the end of her life more than 40 years later.
    :heart: Barbie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It's Monday and I'm at work and the sun is shinning, but I think I need an attitude adjustment:grumble: Work is no fun right now, but on the positive note I do have a job:indifferent:

Rose - Wow even on the go you manage to go to the gym, I'm impressed:drinker:

Jackie - glad your Mum is feeling more like herself:smile: , sorry your shoulder & the scales aren't:cry:

Mimi-You are really being good at adjusting the exercise and calories to see changes:drinker: can't say that I'm that inspired yet and Congrats on 30 lbs lost:flowerforyou:

Kathy (pmjsmom) :flowerforyou: Congrats on quiting smoking, any habit is hard to break, but I've heard quiting smoking:smokin: is one of the hardest.

Viv- :cry: I joined you in going over this weekend, :blushing: but maybe we will be better this week.

MacMadame - WOW you did your first tri for the season....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Cheers to you!

Barb - Hope that talk with your daughter sticks:smile: , it's so hard when you know that if they will only jump on board with MFP that it could help them too.

Robin - :flowerforyou: Good for you making your May 1st goal in April!

Rebel - Your bike riding is inspiring, I'm hoping that when warmer weather hits I too will want to get outside:flowerforyou: Allergies permiting:sick:

Kackie & Suzanita - Be not discouraged...tomorrow is another day to begin:smooched:

Randy -:flowerforyou: Congrats on the #10 pants. How was your Cholesterol Test?

Jeannie - About hair and dying....I don't dye (yet) but I don't have that many grays that can be seen either:blushing: . I've always said that when I turn gray I will cut it and dye it. The weekend of Hurrican Katrina (aug 29, 2005) I decided to donate my hair to "Locks of Love" and I cut 17" off, then in December 2008 I donated again and cut 14". My hair is almost to my waist again and as long as I don't dye it I will probably donate again. My husband is always amazed :huh: that I don't have much gray, but the only way you can see it is if the light hits those few hairs just right.

The weekend for keeping track of food and exercise was a train wreck:sad: . The only good thing was that the scale this morning was merciful only up 1/2 lb:blushing: ....so today I vow to be good and get back on the program.

Mom is thinking that walking 5 steps is good progress...wasn't it just a few weeks ago that she was walking 30 steps:grumble: something is awfully wrong with this picture:noway:

Have a good afternoon and evening....We can do this:bigsmile:

Laura:smile:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone .....quick dash again.
    :angry: Scales were up today ..... :noway: calories were over.........:drinker: I hope you're all better at this than I am!!!1
    :smile: The arm and shoulder were a bit better today. :bigsmile: Doing nothing has certainly helped.
    :heart: Mum brighter today but visiting time still taken up trying to explain...:frown: the why, where and when of her broken hip!!

Re. hair colour ..... I've been blonde since I was 15 or so!!! My colour's naturally a light mousey brown. My older sister and I both bleached our hair back in the sixties and now I can't really say what colour I'd be if it was left. I don' t bleach it now ...just colour & it's an ash blonde. I self colour every 6 - 8 weeks. I think my hair would be the same colour as my mum's if it was left - a fairly dark slate colour ...not bad at 86....her ,not me!!!!:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Take care everyone

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • babybluebarbie
    Options
    Hi all! It's been a few days since I first posted. This last few days has been very difficult for our community, children and adults. We laid to rest today, the little 8th grade girl that lost her life in a car accident last week. Now, the healing can begin and with time, it will get easier for all. My son has taken it really hard and has yet to start sleeping by himself again. Love and encouragement is what we can all offer each other. And I see so much of that on this site.

Everyone does such a nice job of responding to each other's posts. I am so pleased I joined this thread!

I had an extremely active weekend with gardening, cleaning up a park, and replacing ceilling tiles. I didn't officially exercise, but still burned about 2000 calories a day with outside work. I was totally exhausted last night!!! I didn't even have enough energy last night to eat any extra calories that I had earned.

I have decided to start working really hard with extra exercise this week. I have a 2 week trip to St. Maarten coming up in 7 weeks.............hoping to look and feel much better by then.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Keep up the good work!

Barbara:smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Stopping in for a quickie post.

Mimi--

Regarding Word "blowing up" when you do your cookbook. I am assuming you mean it freezes due to the size of your document. (If that is not the case, I might be able to offer other advice w/more info. You can PM me if you don't want to go into the gory details in our thread.)

I supposed if you have one huge document, it could happen, so if it is the size of the file you are working with, just do a copy of a portion of it and create a new document. You can divide up the one big doc into some smaller ones that will be easier to work with and maybe Word will stop blowing its top. To avoid confusion, be sure to update each file doc so that you don't have the same pages appearing in two different documents.

If the problem continues, then it is time to ask if the computer you are working on has an issue, or more specifically, the copy of the Word program you are using. If you are not sure, if the problem only happens on one pc, and not another, that is a clue. Also if a pc is short on virtual memory, it can affect how a program can work with a very large file.

Good luck.

I need to get off here and get something accomplished this afternoon.

Barb

EDIT: Jackie and BlueBarbie...you both posted after I started.

Jackie, Hope your mum is coming along with her healing. I know it is no fun repeating the same information over again. Hope your shoulder improves.

Barbara--So sorry to hear of the loss you are all feeling. Healing takes time, so I hope your son will reach out to you and his friends to get through his grief.

So now I really AM getting off here.....

Later..... Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Ok, so I am still here...:blushing:

Just saw the info below on another post and thought it belonged here as well. Thank you to 00trayn for posting it on another thread:
    Mon 04/19/10 12:55 PM
    I just came across this article discussing how weight loss is extremely difficult without changing one's diet. Here's a bit from it... and here's the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?src=me&ref=general

It also says for women especially, it is important to maintain exercise once one has achieved a desired weight. In a study, of the women who returned to their normal eating habits but continued to exercise after meeting their goal weight were MUCH more successful in maintaining that weight or limiting the pounds they put back on. I recommend reading this article for some great information.

"Those who stuck with either of the exercise programs regained less weight than those who didn’t exercise and, even more striking, did not regain weight around their middles. The women who didn’t exercise regained their weight and preferentially packed on these new pounds around their abdomens. "

So long... Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies

No change when I weighed in this morning :frown: but I suppose I should be thankful I have not gained anything :smile: I haven't done too badly today, I think I was just over my calories, but with the walking I have done it got me back in credit so to speak :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Interested to hear a few of you eat roasted veggies, I am going to try this, do you just put them in a roasting dish into the oven? What type of veggies do you roast? (I've heard of roast parsnips) excuse my ignorance but I've never really been a veggie person:blushing:

:flowerforyou: Jackie glad your shoulder is feeling a little better, be careful not to overdo it because it's starting to feel ok, ease back into things. :smile:

:frown: I seem to be choosing the wrong things, I bought some museli because I thought that was healthy, but it still seems high in calories though it has no added sugar. Even the Special K I tried had more calories than I though it would. :frown:
    I'll have to check the calorie content more carefully in future :smile:

:flowerforyou: Laura hope you do better this week too, all we can do is keep on trying :smile: I am also going to try and exercise more this week too - starting tomorrow :bigsmile: kidding.

:heart: My thoughts are with you Barbara (babybluebarbie) and your son.

Take care :drinker:

Viv :heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Barbara (babybluebarbie), I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your son. :heart:

Barb, Unfortunately it really is Word that's the problem with our family cookbook. It just doesn't handle 200 pages full of text boxes and images very well. The good side is that I'm learning InDesign! :wink:

Viv, You brought up my favorite subject! :laugh: It used to be that I just tolerated most veggies. Then I discovered roasting.

People have different methods for roasting veggies. I put them in a broiler pan, spray them with olive oil, season them (I use salt and pepper and lemon for broccoli), then roast them at 475 or so (depends on your oven).

Asparagus is amazing. It takes about 10 minutes and is not stringy at all (still has a little crunch). Mini bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli do best when roasted a little longer - maybe 15 minutes. (I usually turn the oven down to 440 for the last 5 minutes.) Squash is not my favorite, but my daughter loves it. She roasts it for just 5 minutes or so.

I've been experimenting with different veggies. It's amazing :bigsmile: how eating a big platter (I mean big! :laugh: ) takes the munchies away. This is a first for me in 40 years of dieting and I am still surprised about how indulged I feel. I'm enjoying what I eat now way more than when I was eating a lot of junk food. Hope you enjoy the veggies as much. (I'm also eating more fruit - together, they make a big difference in what I want to eat.)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Hubby is home from his trip.......He drove for eleven hours today to get home.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: He unpacked all his suitcases, gave me all the credit cards receipts for his expenses, made his own dinner and then made popcorn for himself and the dogs. We are all very happy tonight. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: \:heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Hubby is home from his trip.......He drove for eleven hours today to get home.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: He unpacked all his suitcases, gave me all the credit cards receipts for his expenses, made his own dinner and then made popcorn for himself and the dogs. We are all very happy tonight. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: \:heart: Barbie

Why don't you send him back down here??? The doggies and I think popcorn sounds good!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Seriously, welcome home to Jake. I know your family is glad to have you back.

I did something interesting tonight with fresh spinach. I like keeping it around because it lasts so much longer than lettuce, but it doesn't last forever, and I had some that was beginning to look a little "long in the tooth." So I took about 3 cups of it, and through some sliced crimini mushrooms on top and micro'd it for about a minute. Then I took it out and sprayed some Wishbone Salad spritzer balsamic vinaigrette on it. Yummy!!

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options

Viv, You brought up my favorite subject! :laugh: It used to be that I just tolerated most veggies. Then I discovered roasting.

People have different methods for roasting veggies. I put them in a broiler pan, spray them with olive oil, season them (I use salt and pepper and lemon for broccoli), then roast them at 475 or so (depends on your oven).

Asparagus is amazing. It takes about 10 minutes and is not stringy at all (still has a little crunch). Mini bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli do best when roasted a little longer - maybe 15 minutes. (I usually turn the oven down to 440 for the last 5 minutes.) Squash is not my favorite, but my daughter loves it. She roasts it for just 5 minutes or so.

I've been experimenting with different veggies. It's amazing :bigsmile: how eating a big platter (I mean big! :laugh: ) takes the munchies away. This is a first for me in 40 years of dieting and I am still surprised about how indulged I feel. I'm enjoying what I eat now way more than when I was eating a lot of junk food. Hope you enjoy the veggies as much. (I'm also eating more fruit - together, they make a big difference in what I want to eat.)

:flowerforyou: Mimi thanks for the tips on roasting veggies, I'll give them a try, (think I'll start with broccoli and others that I know I like before experimenting with other veggies) I'll let you know how I get on :smile:

:smile: Barbie glad your hubby is home, I'm sure he knows how much he's been missed by you and the doggies :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:smile: Barb - spinach that's another veg for me to try - I think I have had this in a mixed salad bag from the supermarket? :huh: but I love mushrooms and have been trying to eat more of them so will try your "recipe" - I am getting quite a few ideas already :bigsmile:

:frown: ooops look at the time, I only meant to have a quick look - I'd better get myself ready for work.

:drinker: Catch up with you all later :heart:

Viv :smile:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone .....another day then!!!

:smile: Actually had a lie in this morning....making the most of Mum's absence! That sounds awful I know but once she's home we'll be back to normal!! It actually seems very strange not having her here ....I've been made redundant!! Laid off!! Total retirement doesn't appeal at all. I think we'ed have to get a dog again if we were on our own ...cats or no cats!!!

Barbara.... I'm sad to hear of your community's loss. Doubly sad when it's a young life cut short.

:heart: We too had some sad news today. The death of a "holiday" friend. We met such a lovely couple on holiday in Spain, about 15 years ago, and have kept in touch, met up over the years. Sadly the husband has died after a long cancer battle and even though we met them fleetingly, he made such an impression on us and will be fondly remembered. We even met a couple of young ladies on holiday in Egypt last November that came from their same small Scottish Village and who knew them both well.....small world or what?!!

:drinker: On the subject of Roasting Veggies ....... I love to do that. DH does a mean Moroccan lamb with Roast veggies and cous cous.
    I normally briefly steam the veg ...carrots, peppers, celery, mushroom, courgettes, parsnip ...anything!!! in the microwave for a few minutes. Then... mix with herbs, tomato puree. Chilli or cayenne , , spray with olive oil and roast in a hot oven 'til starting to brown. Sautee the diced lean lamb in a little olive oil with chunky onion and garlic, tomato puree and chilli etc. Add rosemary, french mustard, lamb stock cube, diced tomatoes. Layer on the veggies and finish roasting until tender. Serve with cous cous .....might just do that tomorrow!

:ohwell: Scales the same today ...which means the weights up ....but its early and I'm well within the calories.I WILL BE GOOD TODAY!!!... I'm drinking more water as I'm still taking the tablets!! I did exercycle for 30 min yesterday

I was looking at a new diet today ..in the newspaper.. The Dukan Diet... Apparently like Atkins but not. Has anyone tried this high protein diet?

:smile: Must go now ....cooking lean beef meatballs in tomato sauce with spaghetti. (Must weigh that when I serve) and NO CHEESE!

:flowerforyou: Off to visit Mum soon too. To stop the boredom eating I'll maybe tackle that ironing tonight when DH is at work, now the arm feels a bit easier ....keep taking the tablets!!! Not too long though as Co - codamol can be addictive I know.

Be good folks and thanks for being there!!

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm so sorry about not checking in but ...

It really has been a tough time for me. We got my Dad settled. He still has short term memory loss and can not drive due to one of the strokes. But he seems to be managing pretty well.

My mom on the other hand has had a tough time. She had 7 weeks of hyperbaric Oxygen treatments. One big toe has healed but the other did not. Gangrene has spread. She went into a Septic Shock and ended up in the hospital. Last Thursday. The team of doctors thought it best to amputate her toe. Yesterday she went up to the OR. The team of Doctors decided not to have surgery because they would have to cut up to her knee. And for an 85 year old women that would be a very serious procedure. So they decided to control the infection and for her to go home and live her life as best she can. She will have to have nursing care at home which we feel it best. My Dad wants her home and live her life as best she can with him and the family.

I thank you all for all your special notes of caring. I’m sorry about not getting on line but it has been tough just to see my husband never mind get to a computer.

I have lost a few pounds so I’m not giving up. My husband has been very supportive and I am so grateful to have him.

Hope to stop in a little more.

Love Kathy (plantlady)

I'm very sorry about not being able to read the post. But, you know my love is true to each and everyone of you.

Kathy
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning-
    I am back from my NYC sojourn and ready to get serious about mfp again. I haven't had a chance to read the many pages of posts on this thread, but I did see yours Kathy. I am so sorry you've had so many tough issues to deal with regarding your parents. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for all of you. Just know I'm thinking of you.
    Zaza
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kathy, I was just thinking last night of some of my pals that I haven't heard from for a while. I will be praying for you and your mom and dad. I think you are so right to be bringing your mom home. She will be happiest being with your dad and with you. Your husband must be real jewel! I hope you can get some time away with him every now and then, even for a couple of hours. Hope you have a wonderful day!!:flowerforyou:
  • skbgogirl
    Options
    Hi, everyone...I'm new to Myfitnesspal and came across your group. I'm 53 years old and am a stay-at-home wife with physical disabilities. I have two children who are grown and married. I have 1 grandson and another on the way. I have desparately been trying to lose weight but struggle because of meds that cause weight gain. I have lost 20 lbs so far but really could use some encouragement and support. I appreciate your upbeat messages of support for each other and seriously need to be a part of a group like that. I will be watching your message boards.

Have a great day!

Sharon
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It’s a few days since I posted but it’s not because I’ve been in Rome:cry:. Our trip was cancelled due to the volcano. We will try and rearrange later in the year but since 10 of us were going it might prove difficult to find another date that suits everybody. I haven’t turned to food or wine to console myself and exercised over the weekend. (We did get to see some of Rome this weekend though – we watched Angels and Demons on Saturday:laugh: ). My daughter and her partner are supposed to be going on a trip to Spain at the weekend but that’s not looking too hopeful at the moment either.

Sharon – Welcome! This is a great thread and everyone has been very supportive since I joined.

Kathy – Sorry to hear about the tough time your Mom is having. I am sure she will be happier at home with her family.

Jackie – Sorry to hear about your holiday friend. Glad your mum is a bit brighter and your shoulder isn’t so painful. Take it easy and don’t do too much.

Viv – We have roasted veggies quite often (in fact we’re having them tonight) and we think they’re delicious.

Barbie – Glad to hear Jake got home safely from his trip.

Barbara – It must be really difficult for your son, but he has you to love and support him

Mimi – Glad to hear your trip visit is going well.

Suzanita – That’s the attitude girl! Just because we fall off the wagon one day it doesn’t mean we have failed.

Kackie – I’m in. I’d love to lose 3lbs by May 1st.

Rebel – 20k on your bike, wow! Well done! :flowerforyou:

MacMadame – A tri, I’m impressed! :flowerforyou:

Kathy – Congratulations on giving up smoking.:flowerforyou:

Oh, on the subject of hair dying, I have red hair and have dabbled a couple of times a long time ago. One time I had highlights and low lights (which nobody noticed) and then had it dyed a different shade (which I wasn’t too keen on) so I gave up. I have few white hairs at my temples but they’re not too noticeable at the moment so I am sticking with my natural colour for now.

Bye for now
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Kathy, you've got a lot to deal with. My heart goes out to you and your Mom and Dad. I'm glad your Mom gets to come home and hope the infection stays in the background and your Dad's memory improves. :heart:

Sharon, welcome! I've relished the support from the folks on the thread. It's a very positive group! :love:

Denise, bummer about your trip. I hope your group gets to go later. Sounds as if the trip would be a blast.

I saw lots of veggie recipes (one from Barb!) on another thread. I can't wait to try them. (Roasted veggies have been a revelation to me!) In case you want to try them too, I've "collected" them below.

Veggie Recipes

Wow. Lots of great recipes in here. Thank you! I put all the recipes in a Word doc so I can try them. (At least, some of them! ) I copied them into this post in case anybody else wants them all in a bunch. BTW, re Brussels sprouts. I saw a special on Discovery Channel. Some people can't taste the bitterness of Brussels sprouts, some taste it a little, and some gag because they taste so bitter. A little trivia for you!

Can't wait to try some of these:

A great easy way to make veggies a little tastier is to use chicken broth for cooking instead of plain water and rice vinegar is great on veggies too.

Now I use them IN other things. When I make pasta, I sauté some fresh veggies (or actually frozen works for this) and put them in the sauce. My favorites for that are mushrooms, green peppers, and spinach. Delicious. Also broccoli and carrots or pretty much anything will work.

I think, by far, my favorite way to eat vegetables is in shish kabob form. I like red onions, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, and peppers and put them all on a stick. You can marinade them in some Italian dressing, and maybe add some chicken. Then, put them on the grill. It's so good, especially in the summer.

Try lightly brushing your veggies with olive oil, sprinkle on some seasons or just salt and pepper and roast in the oven. Asparagus is awesome roasted. I put chopped garlic in olive oil and let it sit for about 30 minutes then brush it on the asparagus lightly, add salt and pepper and roast on 400 for about 15 minutes. Just before it is done I sprinkle lightly with fresh Parmesan cheese. Delicious!

Take a zucchini, slice it long ways down the middle. Spray "I can't believe it's butter" on it, (or put some low fat type parmesan/garlic dressing on them) then sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on it with some pepper. Bake/brown them for like 20 minutes on a very hot setting (or less if you like them more crips) I like them more browned so I broil them. THEY ARE SO DANG GOOD! You'll like them! I do the same thing with asparagus and mushrooms and I chop up onions and mix that in too.

I am not a vegetable person either, so i supplement as much as i can with V8 juice

For a quick fix for fresh asparagus, I steam it in the micro on 80% so it stays a little crispy. Then I spray a little Wishbone Spritzers balsamic vinaigrette dressing on it. Yummy!! Also, shredded Parmesan or sharp cheddar is good on asparagus, with or without the spray.

I like to put a little shredded cheese on broccoli or cauliflower also.

Yams or sweet potatoes are yummy I boil or bake them put a little butter then add cinnamon or you can even forget the butter. If you use baby carrots they are sweeter than large carrots. I don't put much on my veggies I like the natural flavor. Except for BrusselS sprouts (gag)

BrusselS sprouts, fresh or frozen are wonderful, if you do this: Steam them then add some shredded parmesan on them and a little smart balance or a dab of butter. A little won't wreck your eating plan and the flavor is phenomenal.

Eat 'em raw! It's better for you! I love a plate of sliced raw veggies and a dollop of hummus for dipping.

Try making homemade sweet potato "fries" slice into French fry sized strips, toss with a little canola oil, cinnamon and cumin. Roast for 20-30 minutes. I eat these weekly in the winter! For summertime, try cutting a few different veggies the same size and marinating them with a balsamic vinaigrette and grilling them. So good with some brown rice and grilled tofu. Sorry I'm a vegetarian, I guess you could grill some chicken if you don't like tofu (lol)

Turn your fruits into smoothies or juice them

I spray a little olive oil on them and put them in a 475 oven for 10-15 minutes. 10 Sor less works for asparagus. Mini peppers, onions, broccoli, etc. are best with a few more minutes. If you roast zucchini (which is still not a favorite! ) 5 minutes or so works well. Season them however you like. Delish.

Cook your veggies in a frying pan with Salsa or Hummus! Yum!

Grill 'em :) Put them on kebabs with meat and a heavy dose of spices and you'll love them in no time! Same goes for roasting. Use olive oil or [real] butter on them, lightly brown the edges. Good stuff.

Or try slicing squashes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, or carrots very thin with a mandoline slicer, add a bit of EVOO and sea salt, throw them in the oven and you'll end up with a crispy chip-like veggie. Very good with hummus or pesto. This works well with kale, also. If you bake it it turns into a sort-of chip.

I love throwing anything in the oven in a glass dish with olive oil and some Garlic Season All and baking them for 20 minutes. I've been eating my asparagus this week and it's divine. It's also great for broccoli or green beans. Also, try stir frying!! Get a frozen bag of stir fry or make your own with a bunch of combined vegetables. Pan fry it in olive oil or canola oil on the stove for 10-15 minutes at high heat with some chicken and steak seasoning, then pour a serving over some brown or white rice.

With sweet potatoes we have been putting Watkins cinnamon cream sprinkles on them. I am sure they are sugar but you use so little and it adds so much flavor, yummy.
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings all and happy Tuesday. Yes I am still alive...just working. I just came off a killer free-for-all weekend...happy hour and eating out Friday...eating out Saturday...more wine along with fruit and cheese on Sunday evening. Thus I am being dilligently good on Monday and Tuesday to try not to have an off the charts weigh-in on Wednesday!! :noway: :cry: :ohwell:

Notice my progression of emotions...denial, grieving and acceptance. :laugh: Now it's time to move on!! Hope everyone has a great day. I'll catch up on posts later on. Obviously I haven't had time to read. Will do so and be able to respond later!.

:heart: Terri:heart: