WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• amasot
    amasot Posts: 86
    Options
    Jeez, I hope I'm not the 500th post that's going to get locked out ! :laugh:

Well, I tried some multicolored peppers grilled today! And I was in such a good mood, I decided to embellish on it a bit. I was is a good mood because I lost that half kilo I've been fighting with! But back to the peppers. I cut them in large flat pieces and put them in the oven grill with a little olive oil. I took them out before they were completely cooked, doused them with vinegar, then topped them with a little oive paste, oregano, feta cheese, olive oil and a sprinkle of cayenne. Put them back in the oven grill for 3 minutes to melt the cheese and voila! Healthy snacks for the family and dinner for me!! Everyone told me that they trasted like Greek style pizzas! :tongue: Since I was making up the recipe as I went along and used whatever was easily available in the fridge, it felt good!
    So... I had a good day and I hope you all had an even better day than me :flowerforyou:
    Amalia
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Was MIA yesterday due to doggies to groomer, shopping for mom, and going back to the nearby town to pickup my folks NEW pc. I also scored a major deal on a 20 " flat screen monitor. I had looked at Ofc Depot and Staples, and they were running around $160 for the one I was interested in, but I had decided to wait after the guy at Ofc Depot broadly hinted that monitors might be on sale in the next week or two. On the way back from picking up the new pc tower, I decided to make a stop at Office Max, still in Oregon, of course, (gotta save that pesky sales tax-:laugh: :laugh: and so glad I did stop. They had a 20" on sale for $109, BUT they were OUT of it, so they put the $160 one I had been looking at in its place:noway: --and I was on that like a dieting woman on a piece of chocolate cake!!:laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I got back to my mom's about 4p and called the doggy groomer, as I figured the troops would be about done. She was WAAY behind. She had a grooming salon full of dogs and her major cage style doggie dryer had gone DOA during the day. She figured it was a bad switch, but didn't have time to go get one until the next morning. Her "clients" were getting dried with portable hair dryers and fans, and some of them were less than cooperative!!

So, since they weren't ready, I went about setting up the new pc. The place I dealt with builds their own systems from new components, and they were happy to give me Win XP, which was important because my dad doesn't deal well with "change." I did update to IE 8, however, because of the enhanced security and the fact that you can use that "zoom" feature to enlarge everything on a web page, which will make it easier for my mom to see what she is doing. For an extra $45 they moved all the data and favorites over to the new system, and did a wonderful job. Everything was there!!! There was one small "oops"--they forgot to include a power cord!! Fortunately, they are interchangeable, so I just used the one from the old tower for now, and I will have them UPS me another.

Also want to mention a Mcafee product that is FREE--it is called "site advisor." It will give you a warning if a website is dangerous or prone to giving you spam if you leave your email address. If you google Mcafee site advisor, it will take you to the location of the free download. You have the option of downloading the yahoo toolbar, but you can opt out if you wish. Once you have site advisor, when you google for info, site advisor will have a green check next to every site that is safe, a yellow one for any that is questionable, a red one for site to avoid, and a grey one if they don't have info, which you can choose to add to their system if you are familiar with that location. When you are on a site, like MFP, a little green "button" will show on your browser toolbar, show MFP is a safe site. If the site has a different status, the button will change color, per the previous info.

Anyway, I got all the XP updates downloaded, made sure the AVG antivirus was working and installed the site advisor was working, and also tweaked the email settings, as there was a setting missing from the sending server. The monitor is WONDERFUL, and I think it will make a big difference in how much my mom will use the internet. The new one is also much faster.

When I took the old system in to where I got the new one, while I was there, the tech opened up the old pc. I knew he old system didn't have enough RAM, BUT I was surprised and very displeased to discover that a prior pc tech had lied to me about something he had done to the old system.:grumble: There was supposed to be two "sticks:" of memory in the system after what he had done, but only the original 256K RAM stick was present. Unfortunately, this person has been MIA for a couple of years, so there is no way for me to go after him:angry: .

I finally picked up the babies about 7:45p. They had a LOOONG day, and Bradley let me know by singing a most unhappy song all the way home!! After a big drink of water, a bite of dinner and a walk, he snuggled up with me in the chair--a much happier boy.:heart: The other two were also happy to be home, and of course, everyone looks GORGEOUS!!:heart::heart:

This post has become much easier since Pepper decided he was tired of sleeping on my chest while I posted with the laptop on my knees.:noway: :noway: The things we do for our babies:noway: .:laugh: :laugh:

Now to catch up on some messages to others:

Amalia-

Sorry I came up with ingredients not available where you are. Knowing the ingredients in pico de gallo and salsa, my suggestion would be to get some tomatoes, either diced canned ones, or use fresh if you prefer, and dice those. Add some seasonings to your taste. One version I can think of would have oregano (or premixed Italian seasoning), a little pepper, some diced garlic and chopped onion. Mix everything up, and then place some on top of a white fish that cooks quickly, and either microwave or oven bake it. I can't be specific about times because it will depend on how fast the fish cooks.

If you were looking for a more "Mexican" flavor, instead of garlic and oregano/Italian seasoning, you could take the tomatoes and onions and use cilantro, and if you were daring, some dried red pepper.

You could use the tomatoes as a base and put whatever you think sounds good. Good luck.

Rose--

Inquiring minds are dying to know if you found your wallet!!!

Ainslieglen--Welcome.

Read your profile, and since you don't have your location showing, can you give us an idea of where you are. Maybe I should rephrase that. I mean where you LIVE when you are not out gallivanting around visiting all those grandchildren!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Later read about your "feeding frenzy" following the MFP diary message. If it helps, being under one day is unlikely to bring on starvation mode. I often eat lightly the day after I have gone over by several hundred calories to try and balance things out. It was a learning experience for you, so dust yourself off and move forward!! And tell "Mr. Marsbar" he is not a welcome party guest!!:wink:

Denise (smelliot)-

That is a great picture. I hope you leave it up for a while. Where was it taken?

Jackie-

I almost did a post asking about the locusts that I heard about in your area, but fortunately, the same story came on again, and turns out it is in "New South Wales" which is ":down under" and a long ways from you!! I guess if locusts eat all the food, that would make being on a diet easier:noway: :wink: but I wouldn't wish that prospect on anyone!!

As for your trip to Alaska in 2011--I can see a possible MFP reunion. You said your trip starts from Seattle, so with a little planning, it is possible that I could make it up there, and Barbiecat is a reasonable distance, as is Kathy (pmjsmom). There may be some others close enough as well that I can't think of. By that time we should all be so thin, we will amaze one another !!! :noway: (Hey optimism never hurts!!:laugh:

Renny-

I am glad your husband was able to get a flight to be with his family. Even though your FIL sounds like he has made his peace, I hope he will have a chance to see your husband one more time. My thoughts remain with you and your family.

Birdie-

Bike helmets, when they fit properly, are not uncomfortable. It sounds like it is time to visit a bike shop and get properly fitted. As for the seat, I can't help you there. I have lots of "padding" still, and I have yet to find a comfortable seat, except on a recumbent exercise bike!!!

Michelle-

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat his dinner at a reasonable hour!!:laugh: :laugh: Congrats on the new pants. It is always nice to hear from another bargainhunter. I hope your mom will gain some benefit from her PT, even thought she likes to complain about it.

Faye-

That chicken dish sounds good, I am going to save your recipe for a less hectic time. As for how you hurt your foot. It reminded me of how the last time I was hurrying, I ended up lying in a heap in parking lot at Costco with a bloody nose and scratched up glasses:sick: --all because I tried to hurry up and return that pesky shopping cart.:ohwell:

Mary-

I don't swim very well, but I do admire your accomplishment!!

Barbiecat--

Glad your doggie park fence is fixed. Brandy and Sasha must be in doggy heaven. I had curry yesterday. I discovered Kashi makes a chicken curry frozen dinner that I picked up and had for lunch yesterday. Good, but not too hot, and the sodium is quite reasonable, less than 600 mg as I recall.

You mentioned getting motion sick while sailing. I am wondering if your sailing took place in the ocean, as this could explain the problem. For myself, I do fine on ferries in the ocean, and never had any trouble river sailing, but ocean sailing was a different matter, as I mentioned previously.

As for your Wii-what fun. The one time I have used it was up at my friends' in the Gorge. We did "bowling" for about 3 hours, and I did try golf, but with very LITTLE success.

MacMadame-

Sometimes I get my exercise vicariously by reading your posts!!!

Robin-

I am glad your pup is not suffering any ill effects from his snack. At the time I first saw your post, I did some googling to find out if foil was harmful, but couldn't come up with anything. There are plenty of other (food) items that are bad for dogs, such as onions, grapes, gum and candy with certain artificial sweeteners, chocolate, of course, and lots of other things. Web MD has a section on dog health that has lots of good info.

Jeannie-

Your post about DQ made me hungry for a "Dilly Bar"--butterscotch flavor--but luckily it passed before I drove past the DQ!!:laugh:

Terriw-

That's the trouble with working for a living, it interferes too much with life!!!:bigsmile :laugh: :laugh: Glad your assignment is almost over, but at least you have analyzed the mindset that causes mindless eating ":just because." That dog story of yours was amazing. :noway: You are lucky the house was still standing with that one around.

kackie--

I considered Randy's advice for my scale also, but it finally moved again this morning in the right direction. Your yoga sounds like a real workout--90 minutes, head stands??:noway: :laugh: I know, you said you are planning on skipping those!

Louise--

Welcome back. You are right, starting at the same point where you began is better than being 6 lbs. up because of life. You will get it done now that tax season is over.

Laura-

Sorry that Peanut holds a grudge. My babies just can't stay mad at "mom," so I am constantly surrounded, especially if I am trying to do any work or use the laptop.

Alice-

Thanks for catch up with us. Sounds like you have been busy, and who knows, maybe your granddaughter is trying to help you develop a new sense of "personal style." :laugh:

Barbara(bblueb...)-

Glad to hear your son is recovering a bit from such a sad experience. It is all part of growing up, but it still is a very sad lesson.

Amalia,--

Just read your pepper recipe and it sounds wonderful.

I think I can finally post this. Since I started, I kept finding more messages to respond to. If I don't quit now, I will be on here all day!!:noway: I just checked and this should be post 483 on our thread, so by tomorrow, we will probably be on part two, as Barbiecat mentioned.

Have a good day, all.

Barb
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

As for your trip to Alaska in 2011--I can see a possible MFP reunion. You said your trip starts from Seattle, so with a little planning, it is possible that I could make it up there, and Barbiecat is a reasonable distance, as is Kathy (pmjsmom). There may be some others close enough as well that I can't think of. By that time we should all be so thin, we will amaze one another !!! :noway: (Hey optimism never hurts!!:laugh:

I am one of those others, I live just north of Seattle.
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi all

Weaklink, thanks for the comment. I'm breaking up with Mr. Mars permanently...seductive as he is...he's just no good for me'
    I'll add my location to my profile right now. I'm loving this thread!!

Ainslieglen:love:
  • weaklink109
    Options

I am one of those others, I live just north of Seattle.

Robin,

I am sorry that I didn't include you in the group I originally mentioned as being near Seattle. I am very open-minded, so frequently things pass through without sticking--too bad the same can't be said for my stomach!!

Barb
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hello, everyone and WELCOME!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: to our newcomers!

I have been so busy this week that I just now had time to read your posts--the first time since Tuesday! Wow! We sure are a talkative group! I love it!

I have not smoked and I am still fighting the Snack Monster:devil:. I am up another half pound:cry: but I'm still working at it. I have been logging my foods and exercise and have been under (just barely!) my calories so I'm not sure what it is.

I think I need to up my water--and get a bit more sleep. Even though I've been very tired I have not been sleeping well. I understand that that is a temporary effect of quitting smoking so I'm not going to stress about it and I'll just try to stick to my regular schedule.

My son is going to grill some chicken breasts for supper tonight along with some vegetables. It is so nice to not have to think about fixing dinner tonight!

I see that I am rambling so I'm going to go now and maybe take a bit of a nap.

Havve a good evening all!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Concerning Grannies being frisked at the airport.:noway:

Perhaps.... just maybe......... the TSA people understand how dangerous it can be to put a menopausal woman suffering from hot flashes on a crowded plane;especially if shes crowded between two large men and the seat belt sign is on.:wink:

I swear I could self ignite!:bigsmile:
  • rjadams
    Options
    Barb, no worries I just wanted to remind everyone and to be included ( I am needy that way):blushing:

Its Friday night and I am having a big ol glass of vodka. It tastes so good and I have worked so hard all week I don't care if I end up going over today. Considering I used to drink every night and for the last 2 months I only consume on Friday and Saturday mostly I am really proud of myself. Have a good evening, I sure will :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Concerning Grannies being frisked at the airport.:noway:

Perhaps.... just maybe......... the TSA people understand how dangerous it can be to put a menopausal woman suffering from hot flashes on a crowded plane;especially if shes crowded between two large men and the seat belt sign is on.:wink:

I swear I could self ignite!:bigsmile:

hahaha. thanks for the laugh. I can so identify. Never mess with a menopausal woman!! :bigsmile:

Rebel
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Its Friday night and I am having a big ol glass of vodka. It tastes so good and I have worked so hard all week I don't care if I end up going over today. Considering I used to drink every night and for the last 2 months I only consume on Friday and Saturday mostly I am really proud of myself. Have a good evening, I sure will :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: I am proud of you too, Robin! :drinker: And Friday nights are special in my book :flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Just a quick WHEW! story for those of you who have or have had TOO MANY DOGS.

I accidently shut a dog in my garage. It was a sweet skinny dog and a definite keeper. Luckily for me it belongs to our new neighbors who had just recently rescued it from a bad home and are in the process of Houdini proofing their 5 acre fence. They were very glad to get the dog back but did explain that it's going to take a while to figure out how to keep this one in. Our other neighbor says the dog climbed over their 6 foot fence to join them for a cookout last weekend. lol

Hope everone is well,

Jeannie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi all

Weaklink, thanks for the comment. I'm breaking up with Mr. Mars permanently...seductive as he is...he's just no good for me'
    I'll add my location to my profile right now. I'm loving this thread!!

Ainslieglen:love:

NewsFlash!!

I checked your location and you and RebelRenny are BOTH in the same place--Victoria BC. 'Tis a small world!! But some of us keep taking up more space in it !!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: I am referring to the dinner I just consumed. I am too good a cook for my own good. (modest too--:bigsmile: :wink: ). My dad had a yen for chili tonight so I came over and made up a very successful batch, and managed to not have seconds, but that is because I used a BIG bowl!!!:blushing: :blushing:

Don't worry about saying "auf weidersehen" to "Mr Mars." He is a fickle one and will quickly find another to tempt. There are still lots of people in your town who are NOT on MFP!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • ainslieglen
    Options
    RE Grannies at airports....depends on who's doing the frisking!!:bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    RE Grannies at airports....depends on who's doing the frisking!!:bigsmile:

I agree. I wonder if Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery are planning to take on a position with the TSA????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good Morning everyone from sunny York. We’ve had a few days of sunshine - long may it last.

:flowerforyou: Laura well done on the weight loss and on nearly completing your April goal.. Keep up the good work.

:heart: Rebel glad to hear your husband finally got a flight out to see his father.

:flowerforyou: Kathy giving up smoking is hard so good on you. I wish my hubby would give up but he is so stubborn the more I mention it the more he smokes.

:smile: This is just a quick hello today. As the sun is shining I am going to get out in the garden. Some weeds on the patio need uprooting, and the grass needs cutting. Hearing about some of you planting veggies plants etc has made me think of what I could do to improve the garden. :smile: At the moment I have a few plants on the patio, but the garden is mainly a doggy toilet area (poop picked up almost immediately) I could do to cordon off part of the garden and just have a small doggy area. Hmmm it’s a thought. :laugh:

I’ll catch up with you all later.

Viv :smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Jackie and Rebel – my thoughts are with you both. Hang in there.

Ainslieglen – Ouch on your last minute eating. It happens to all of us. Hang in there.

The Seattle area – This may well be the site of many MFP reunions. Just found out from MIL that her doctors don’t want her coming to New Mexico any more due to her health. So, we will get to go visit her in either Phoenix, Seattle or Sandpoint Idaho depending on what time of year and which other of her children she is visiting. I want to go to Seattle even though Phoenix is closer. Going from one arrid climate to another does not have the appeal that visiting a part of the country I've never been in. lol

Grannies being terrorist suspects – I had to laugh about it. They had it in for my MIL too!

Winter came back and we've had snow and cold again. Just what MIL does not need! This has to be the end of it as we are out of wood for the wood burning stove which is our main source of heat.

On drinking (not water) - I strongly recommend that you all switch to wine preferably red, but white will do. Seriously, wine is made from graps and has the same benefits as the fruit. It is also good for your heart, goes well with dinner and is produced locally in most parts of the world so it is environmentally friendly. Well, let me go put wine on my shopping list now that I've at least talked myself into it.

Happy Saturday to all!

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    Options
    Good morning all,
    I had a great binge last night. ended up going over on calories by about 400 but I am not worried.

Jeannie - I do drink wine too it my treat on Friday and saturday with dinner. I love a good pairing. . I had planned for the wine just didnt plan on the vodka too? :blushing: :drinker:

It was just one night and I will have a good week. Oh and the Saturday morning after weigh in is nice (dehydration helps the scale) so I am at 163.8 and I want to see 163 by the end of the week. One can hope.

I hope you all have a great day.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Just checking in quickly and enjoying the notes...TSA could hire Pierce Brosman or Sean Connery and I'd be happy:bigsmile: and volunteer for the search...although I get stopped so often that my hubby likes for us to take a few extra minutes just to get thru security, just in case, now it will always be him:bigsmile: since he had his hip replacement last August,

Last night dinner was Red Lobster and we still managed to keep under calories:bigsmile: glass of wine included....of course we did our work out before we went and that helped.

Tonight is dinner with #3 son & DIL and I've already done my workout, now I need to get the laundry done and house clean so tomorrow I can just be a slug bait:bigsmile:

Those headed to Alaska....that's my hubby's dream vacation, wanting to do a cruise...with so many trips to Oregon planned to take care of Mom not to sure when that will happen:grumble: but it sounds a lot more fun:wink:

Will have to go back and check on how everyone is doing later, everyone have a good day and keep up the good fight:drinker: against unwanted pounds.

Laura:smile:
  • ainslieglen
    Options
    Looks like a pretty nice day is shaping up here!:bigsmile:

Yesterday, had my hair colored and went a little darker. Today I'll start packing for a month's visit to Edmonton to live it up with family there. Leaving April 29 and returning May 26. I'm gonna continue logging in every day and stay in touch. Also, I will be able to stay with a healthy diet since Bill and Lynda ( brother and sister-in-law) eat carefully.So food shouldn't be problem for me. They both work, and I'll have lots of time for my mfp routine. And I'll borrow weights from their son, Scott, who lives next door with his wife and 5 year old daughter. Scott and Leanne moved up from Denver last year, and I haven't met my grand-niece yet. She's Bill and Lynda's only grandchild and loves living next door to them. It'll be such a nice, warm, family visit. My older son and his son are coming up from Calgary for a few days while I'm there. I'm soooo excited, it feels like Christmas Eve!:bigsmile:

GEEZ!!! Starting to sound very Norman Rockwell. I read all the new posts today and everyone sounds pretty well on target, even with a couple of slips like I had this week with the chips and chocolate! Have to go do a few things before the day gets away on me. :drinker:

Ainslieglen