Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

True maybe if I hadn't gained all the weight I did (70lbs) when I was pregnant I maybe wouldn't have caught my husband emailing other women.....
    Sorry for that. Hopefully everything is working out.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Actually, women that are underweight or are carrying multiples have to gain more, just saying. I think the standard is 40 lbs.
    When I was having babies (16-20 yrs ago). I was told an average of 30#. And I was a liitle underweight. But times change medical opinions, I guess.
    I never counted calories while pregnant or breastfeeding. I was told not to worry much about losing weight on purpose while breastfeeding.
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    /popcorn on this whole thread lol ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

While I agree with you, I also would suggest that you give these new moms a break. Pregnancy REALLY messes with our bodies, and then the hormones add to our emotional psyches. Being a guy, you will NEVER, EVER, understand the extreme changes that take place. And until you can push a cabbage patch doll out of your nostril, you might want to keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. Plenty of us who have been through pregnancy don't care to hear a MAN's opinion or judgmental comments. Even husbands need to know when to keep their mouths closed.
    I've never stated that it's not a difficult time or position to be in. And as husband, I'm a conformer.:wink:
    And of course, once those babies are BORN, and the majority of the care is left to the mom, the LAST thing mom cares about is her weight (unless she is very vain to begin with). Add sleep deprivation and we're basically hot messes until things settle down again.
    Proud to say that when my DD was born, I quit my job and stayed at home. With the exception of breast feeding at night (although I stayed up to burp her an put her back to sleep), I took care of my DD's needs, plus STILL to this day do all the cleaning, cooking, laundry, bills, yardwork, homework, kid activities, etc. so my hard working wife can relax when she gets home after a 12 hour day.
    It takes about 6 months before our heads are back on straight. So, again, while I think women shouldn't use pregnancy as a opportunity to eat whatever, whenever, and as much as possible, POST pregnancy women deserve a little more patience and understanding.
    Oh, trust that I get to hear about it. I get to hear about how "idiotic, moronic, and dumb" husbands are from new moms all the time. We trainers get to be good outlets for frustration.

IDEA Fitness member
  • viridianasan
    viridianasan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    /popcorn on this whole thread lol ;)

lol!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    BOGUS. The only reason the suggestion is now 25-30 lbs is because most people are already overweight before pregnancy. Back in the 70s when i was born it was totally normal and acceptable to gain 50+ pounds.

Personally i gained 62 but lost 37 in the first two weeks after delivery.
    Disagree.
    This view was challenged in the 1960s when low birth weight concerns became apparent. In 1971 Hyten and Leitch published a review of studies from the 1950s and 1960s and concluded that the best pregnancy outcomes in terms of birth weight, infant survival and incidence of pre-eclampsia, in mothers whose total pregnancy weight gain was 27.5 pounds (12.5 kg) without consideration of pre-pregnancy weight variations [1].

In 1970, the National Academy of Sciences Food and Nutrition Board’s Committee on Maternal Nutrition recommended 20-25 pounds (9.1-11.3 kg) for total pregnancy weight gain without regard for pre-pregnancy weight or body mass index (BMI). It was also noted that low weight gain was associated with infant mortality, disability and mental retardation. As a result, in 1972 the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) endorsed this guideline to ensure adequate weight gain. This was amended in 1981 by FNB’s Nutrition Services in Perinatal Care to define inadequate weight gain as 2.2 pounds (1 kg) or less/month in 2nd and 3rd trimesters and excessive gain as 6.6 pounds (3 kg) or more/month [2].

In the 1980s weight gain recommendations had nearly doubled what they were in the 30s and women were advised to gain 25-30 pounds (11-14 kg), but by 1990 a more individualized recommendation which related to the pre-pregnancy weight range was recognized in association with good clinical outcomes when a committee of the National Academy of Science, through the Institute of Medicine, made recommendations for pregnancy weight gain based on pre-pregnancy weight [3].
    BMI < 19.8 (Underweight): 28-40 pounds (12.5-18 kg)
    BMI 19.8 – 26 (Normal weight): 25-35 pounds (11.5-16 kg)
    BMI 26.1 – 29 (Overweight): 15-25 pounds (7-11.5 kg)
    BMI >29 (Obese): At least 15 pounds (6kg).

http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/articles/page/14732
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'd like some input on my weight gain thus far - although early. My history, I started 1/2/12 at 388. By 1/2/13 I was down 135 to 253. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and have gained maybe 3 pounds so far. I did up my calories to 1800/day because I felt like I was having trouble getting all of my nutrients in at 1450/day and I still felt hungry all the time. Don't get me wrong - there are days and meals that are less than optimal food choices and I have indulged in a few cravings that I'm not entirely proud of. :frown: I am still doing zumba 4 days per week most of the time. I would like to limit myself to 20 pounds or so of total gain with this pregnancy. any help is appreciated!! :flowerforyou:
    Keep exercising till your OB says to stop. It's easier to resume an exercise program than trying to start one when never having exercised.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    TIL: Don't get pregnant if you have a trainer.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Point is: Most people don't appreciate advise they didn't ask for. By all means, help they people you ask you -- but maybe consider that general posts in forums shouldn't be given in the same way, if you feel so compelled to help EVERYONE.
    No point is you disagree with me and are appalled that a male starting the thread and is considered to be in the wrong territory. You didn't have to comment on the thread nor does anybody have to consider the advice (even thought it's the same advice given by OBGYNs).
    In general most people NEVER want to hear advice on what may help them if they think everything they did/are doing is right even if it could be wrong. You run into that on here with people who want to do HCG, ultra low calorie plans, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

I think the point is you never bothered to comment on this:

Why is it that you think that women who are pregnant are happy to "eat for two"? Do you think the are just totally uninformed and don't listen to their doctor/research and need your expert opinion (ps you've showed NO credentials in doling out prenatal advice)? Or do you suppose there is SO much pressure on women to look a certain way in the first place they are RELIEVED to get a break? Do you understand what I am saying and what my posts have actually been about?

I would make the same comments I made to you if you were a woman. You don't seem to understand the difference between "ideal", "normal" and "healthy" in the way a woman who has actually had a child does. LOTS of things happen to when you are pregnant. Lots of them fall outside the "ideal" category but are still considered normal and healthy. Lots of things can happen to you that fall outside of the "ideal" and "normal" categories but are still considered HEALTHY. There are plenty of situations in which gaining 80 pounds is totally healthy -- it might not be idea and that might be more than normal, HOWEVER, it's not considered high risk. In some instances, of course it is. My point is -- making broad generalizations on your very narrow experience with postpartum women doesn't mean you get to generalize about pregnant women in general. Your sample size for your extrapolations isn't sound logic.
  • PlainOldElizaJane
    Options
    Pregnancy weight is a weird thing. I was overweight when I got pregnant, and the nutritionist (not my Dr) told me I was gaining too much weight. My doctor wasn't worried, at all.

2 weeks after my daughter was born, I weighed 15 lbs less than when I got pregnant, yet according to the nutritionist's standards I had "gained too much."

But I do understand what you're saying, because I have a friend who gained 90 lbs in her pregnancy... Her favorite phrase was "The baby wants it."
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ahahaha! Actually I'm training someone right now who's pregnant. No stretch marks yet either. Of course genetics, age and amount of weight gain will help to dictate if it happens or not.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I am nine months pregnant, and so far I have gained 23 lbs. I was at the obese end before I became pregnant. I was just starting my weight loss journey and had lost twenty pounds. It has been a battle to not hate my body while pregnant and instead focus on fueling it the right way and exercising daily. I am proud that of the work I put in these nine months. As soon as I have this baby, I am losing the weight the best way I can, and trying to be a new mom at the same time. That is a daunting task.

I do know that I get looks everyday from people who judge me and think I'm a whale with a baby, thinking she can eat for two. It is absolutely not true. Your advice was very correct, but maybe some of those women were like me, pregnant and already obese.
  • Katia_Quesadilla
    Options
    A round of applause for the OP!
    I think you owe all women an apology for lumping us into some small portion of postpartum women you work with.

I find it interesting that you object to lumping all women together, but you've done the same thing repeatedly in your posts in this thread, most noticeably here:
    we as women just generally dont want to hear it

I'm... not offended, but annoyed at this. You can't rationally say, "don't lump everyone together" and then lump everyone together in the next breath. I'm a woman, and I don't have a problem with what he said.
  • ashleypeha
    Options
    Totally agree about the not "eating for two" part. I didn't start putting on weight until I was 5 months in. I wore my normal pants until almost 7.5 months in. But once I got to that 3rd Tri it was like my body litterally held on to every ounce of food I put in my mouth. I didn't eat that horribly, and I tried to be aware of how much food I was eating at each sitting. I have always had to be aware of how I eat and remain active to keep my weight down, but my pregnancy got difficult and I had to quit my job and try to stay off my feet as much as I could for the last couple months. It sucked , mostly because I gained sooo much weight. Its kind of upsetting to know that people are out there judging women's bodies who have litterally spent 9 months creating another human. Its already hard enough on us, so the extra judgment doesn't really help. Some things are out of our control, and you don't know these ladie's stories. I guess as a man you can't exactly understand it......the one thing I do agree with is that you don't have to "eat for two" (esentially doubling calories).
  • ashleypeha
    Options
    I also just read your stretch mark comment.......ummmm I know girls who are 21 years old, super fit, and have stretch marks......so genetics have ALOT to do with it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am nine months pregnant, and so far I have gained 23 lbs. I was at the obese end before I became pregnant. I was just starting my weight loss journey and had lost twenty pounds. It has been a battle to not hate my body while pregnant and instead focus on fueling it the right way and exercising daily. I am proud that of the work I put in these nine months. As soon as I have this baby, I am losing the weight the best way I can, and trying to be a new mom at the same time. That is a daunting task.

I do know that I get looks everyday from people who judge me and think I'm a whale with a baby, thinking she can eat for two. It is absolutely not true. Your advice was very correct, but maybe some of those women were like me, pregnant and already obese.
    And I did state that my assumption of their weight was from a perspective that they gained too much while pregnant and not really considering they may have been overweight before they even got pregnant. In reality, we wouldn't really know unless we knew the people who were there. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ahahaha! Actually I'm training someone right now who's pregnant. No stretch marks yet either. Of course genetics, age and amount of weight gain will help to dictate if it happens or not.

i got zero stretchmarks when i gained 62 lbs but i did get them as a teenager on my hips so i know im capable of getting them. i really believe moisturizing 3 times a day kept them away
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about the not "eating for two" part. I didn't start putting on weight until I was 5 months in. I wore my normal pants until almost 7.5 months in. But once I got to that 3rd Tri it was like my body litterally held on to every ounce of food I put in my mouth. I didn't eat that horribly, and I tried to be aware of how much food I was eating at each sitting. I have always had to be aware of how I eat and remain active to keep my weight down, but my pregnancy got difficult and I had to quit my job and try to stay off my feet as much as I could for the last couple months. It sucked , mostly because I gained sooo much weight. Its kind of upsetting to know that people are out there judging women's bodies who have litterally spent 9 months creating another human. Its already hard enough on us, so the extra judgment doesn't really help. Some things are out of our control, and you don't know these ladie's stories. I guess as a man you can't exactly understand it......the one thing I do agree with is that you don't have to "eat for two" (esentially doubling calories).

I really think so many women are taking issue with him because very few are actually doubling calories and eating 4,000 calories. It is VERY easy to gain weight when you are pregnant -- should you strive to be as healthy as you can? Absolutely. Should be overly concerned with weight? I personally don't think so -- and I don't think most doctors are either, unless somebody is eating 4,000 calories and gaining what they deem to be excessive (which is WAY over the "ideal" 25-35 pounds). I think it's horrifying sad to see women worried about gaining weight when they are pregnant.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

And I did state that my assumption of their weight was from a perspective that they gained too much while pregnant and not really considering they may have been overweight before they even got pregnant. In reality, we wouldn't really know unless we knew the people who were there. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.

IDEA Fitness member

I just hope that they go on to be well informed and lose the weight in a healthy way without being judged.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    we as women just generally dont want to hear it

I'm... not offended, but annoyed at this. You can't rationally say, "don't lump everyone together" and then lump everyone together in the next breath. I'm a woman, and I don't have a problem with what he said.
    [/quote]

im not offended either. if i get pregnant again i hope to only gain about 40 because those last 20 lbs were very hard to lose. Im not a food person and only ate because i was starving all the time when i was pregnant- and thirsty! i would wake in the middle of the night and have to eat a bowl of cereal and drink a glass of water