Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so riled about someone making a post on this topic. Society has a vested interest in babies being born healthy, and in their mothers being healthy. Many here seem to be taking this really personally. Maybe it's not necessarily OP's business when it comes to individual pregnant women, sure, but really half the forum posts people start here are about things that aren't their business, like what other people are doing at the gym, etc.

Personally I always looked at pregnancy as a time to be extra careful to eat only the most healthy food because I wanted to give my kids the best, healthiest start in life. I didn't touch fast food or added sugar for the whole 9 months. I was able to be back working out 2 days after coming home from the hospital and ran a half marathon 2 months later. It's certainly not for everyone but it's the way I prefer to do it.

Because even though a woman can do that, eat like that, she can still gain more weight. It really isn't anyone else's business. Oh, and btw, I could do that with my first 2 as well. Bully for you. Doesn't mean anything though. Not all pregnancies are the same.

For example. I haven't really eaten any different for any of my pregnancies. I've never been one to crave sweets so that was never a worry, in fact, my cravings have always been things like salads and orange juice and the like, throw in tacos for good measure. Now, first pregnancy, gain of 18lbs, loss of 20 when she was born. Second, gain of 22lbs, lost it all when she was born. Third, difficult pregnancy with a lot of pain issues which actually resulted in emergency c-section, gain of 40lbs (which I could never figure out how I was gaining that much), lost none when he was born. Fourth, also complications (started as twins, uterine tear, lost one, bedrest and so on) gain of about 25 to 30, again no loss when born. I just ballooned up. It wasn't that I wasn't trying to take care of myself or eat healthy, but the particular pregnancies were just hard on my body. Age also has a lot to do with it. I was much younger with my first two as well.

When someone comes along and makes judgments about how much women gain during pregnancy when they really have no clue the variety of issues each and every woman could be facing, it's just rude. To make this original claim based off a room of pregnant women the OP knows nothing about...I mean...come on.

Also agreed.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so riled about someone making a post on this topic. Society has a vested interest in babies being born healthy, and in their mothers being healthy. Many here seem to be taking this really personally. Maybe it's not necessarily OP's business when it comes to individual pregnant women, sure, but really half the forum posts people start here are about things that aren't their business, like what other people are doing at the gym, etc.

Personally I always looked at pregnancy as a time to be extra careful to eat only the most healthy food because I wanted to give my kids the best, healthiest start in life. I didn't touch fast food or added sugar for the whole 9 months. I was able to be back working out 2 days after coming home from the hospital and ran a half marathon 2 months later. It's certainly not for everyone but it's the way I prefer to do it.

Because even though a woman can do that, eat like that, she can still gain more weight. It really isn't anyone else's business. Oh, and btw, I could do that with my first 2 as well. Bully for you. Doesn't mean anything though. Not all pregnancies are the same.

For example. I haven't really eaten any different for any of my pregnancies. I've never been one to crave sweets so that was never a worry, in fact, my cravings have always been things like salads and orange juice and the like, throw in tacos for good measure. Now, first pregnancy, gain of 18lbs, loss of 20 when she was born. Second, gain of 22lbs, lost it all when she was born. Third, difficult pregnancy with a lot of pain issues which actually resulted in emergency c-section, gain of 40lbs (which I could never figure out how I was gaining that much), lost none when he was born. Fourth, also complications (started as twins, uterine tear, lost one, bedrest and so on) gain of about 25 to 30, again no loss when born. I just ballooned up. It wasn't that I wasn't trying to take care of myself or eat healthy, but the particular pregnancies were just hard on my body. Age also has a lot to do with it. I was much younger with my first two as well.

When someone comes along and makes judgments about how much women gain during pregnancy when they really have no clue the variety of issues each and every woman could be facing, it's just rude. To make this original claim based off a room of pregnant women the OP knows nothing about...I mean...come on.

I disagree that an extra fast recovery from delivery means nothing. I mean yes, recovery times can vary and there are plenty of other factors, but if you maintain a healthier lifestyle you are more likely to have a better recovery. Of course there are exceptions and special cases. All we can do is our best.

I agree that OP knew nothing about the women in that room but it didn't sound like he was judging them individually as much as he wanted to express concern about the growing trend of overweight moms to be in our country. Pregnancy weight gain has certainly risen over the years and it's not as good for the moms or the babies. Maybe he did mean it in a judgy way and I interpreted it wrong. But that's not how it came across to me. As I said I agree that it's no one's business on an individual level but it is a societal trend to be concerned about. And people have been saying things like "everyone knows you're not supposed to have a free for all with your diet while pregnant" but some people really don't know. I've met plenty.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this thread is still going!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Seriously - the mods need to ban this guy or close his thread. He doesn't have the balls to quote and answer my post but private messages me instead. What a piece of work.
    The question I PM'd you with was personal info on you. Not for a public forum to read. I was respecting your privacy. Not that it seems you really care about it now.
    Honestly, I would have thought nothing about what you said but your post is full of assumptions.
    Which I admitted to on the first couple of posts.
    One, that everyone posting on MFP is American. Thankfully a lot of us are not American and are not as obese/overweight.. Secondly, you go by BMI. I have been incredibly skinny in young adulthood before having children and still had a BMI that was considered in the "Overweight" category. As a trainer, you must know that one cannot solely use BMI as a means for indicating one's health.. you can have a BMI of 28 and be completely muscular at the same time.

I agree with some of what you say cause some women make it a free for all but your one situation fits all is kinda offensive. Everyone's body and pregnancy is different. Starting a thread directed at pregnant women and individual weight gain is not that helpful - either give your advice to people who ask for it or will pay for it.
    The information I've stated isn't MINE. I took it from links that provide information on pregnancy.
    As for BMI, I don't like to use it. I feel it's an inaccurate way of body measurement. However if you did read from the beginning, my statement about it was relating to how DOCTORS' recommendation for BMI for females wanting to conceive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You also might want to avoid taking about your pregnant wife nagging you when you go on to say she had a pregnancy filled with complications and medical procedures like cervical curettage. More than anything that makes you look foolish and betrays that you really have no empathy.
    Hmmm, I guess women look at sarcasm a lot harsher than men do. I'm fully aware of why my wife was speaking the way she was and how disappointed she was about having to stay in bed 20 out of 24 hours a day. She apologized to me later about being so *****y through the whole thing and I told her that no apology was necessary and really did wish that I could have burdened some of the issues she was going through. And if we had to do it all over again for another child and she's game, then so am I.

IDEA Fitness member

How very big of you, OP.
    Did I mention my MIL stayed with us for 3 of those months?:laugh:

Actually I really love my inlaws and would rather hang out with family than friends.

IDEA Fitness member
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious to know why it's okay to fat bash obese women, expect them to be size 2s, yet if their spouses are obese slobs, nobody gives them a second look or even comments about THEIR obesity?

Because fat men are funny? Somehow more protective? Little "Santa Clauses" in disguise?

obese women = gross, horrible, icky, eww, avert the eyes!

obese men = charming, funny, lovable, fun to be with!

Thoughts?
    I'm sure many obese men would chime in if they saw this. I can't think of any obese men who are happy with their weight. They may be funny and joke around to deflect how they feel and are then associated with being fun happy charming.
    And obese men get as many "ewwwws" and "grosses" as females do. Possible that you don't hear it as much.
    I will say though that if an obese male was rich, it would be much easier for him to draw women, than an obese woman trying to draw men.

IDEA Fitness member

Hold up. Now women can't be overweight especially when carrying an unborn child, nag too much AND are gold diggers. Anything else you would like to add?

You want some qualifications?
    Bachelor of psychology, honour in arts major feminist studies
    Seven years working with a woman's health centre in domestic violence prevention
    Three years in child protection

And as for child protection goes, there is so much more to be concerned about during pregnancy than a woman's weight. Do my job for a while and see babies drug withdrawing or babies with no place to go because mum is in jail. There is a woman currently 26 weeks pregnant and weighs 32kg (approx 75 pound). Give me an overweight, loving mum any day!

The only time ever in my role can I judge weight is when a child is obese. The protocol is you ask the story and then put in ways to help. See that, I ask and then help. Not judge and then get on my high horse and rant online. Fact of the matter is you saw those women at the doctors. Maybe they were concerned about their weight and wanted to discuss it or maybe they had health issues. They were there to see a medical professional not some judgemental trainer in the waiting room. You may work as a trainer attached to a hospital but that doesn't make you a doctor. I work in the same building as a police station and I am not an expert in law enforcement.

I just saw that you wrote this on another thread:
    I forget sometimes how lucky I am that I can put my hands on other females bodies and not have them retract in fear. This is all for spotting, massage and stretching of course.

You need some serious help in how to respect women.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hold up. Now women can't be overweight especially when carrying an unborn child, nag too much AND are gold diggers. Anything else you would like to add?
    So I can't generalize, but it's fine if you do?
    Seven years working with a woman's health centre in domestic violence prevention
    I gonna take a stab at the dark here and say that males are the main perps you're against here. Makes sense now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I gonna take a stab at the dark here and say that males are the main perps you're against here. Makes sense now.

IDEA Fitness member

When did I generalise?
    I work with female perps too but yes the majority are male perps. I get my referrals from police reports, aka facts. So what exactly makes sense you now? That I perhaps am a strong woman who won't put up with sexism and stands up for women as a feminist? Or are you about to label me as a 'man basher'? Since this thread started I have discussed it with my (male) partner who also sees you as being judgemental and harsh towards pregnant women.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Regardless of pregnancy, you are still picking on fat people. Not cool. And if I read this correctly, you wife was "disappointed" that she was on bed rest. DISAPPOINTED! I suspect she was a little more than disappointed. Holy crap....have you ever been confined to a bed?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

When did I generalise?
    I work with female perps too but yes the majority are male perps. I get my referrals from police reports, aka facts. So what exactly makes sense you now? That I perhaps am a strong woman who won't put up with sexism and stands up for women as a feminist? Or are you about to label me as a 'man basher'? Since this thread started I have discussed it with my (male) partner who also sees you as being judgemental and harsh towards pregnant women.
    I'm always up for a decent debate. You sound more like you want to put on some gloves and hit the ring a few rounds though.
    As for generalization, I started the thread with the women I observed (you preceive judged) while I was waiting. I've NEVER said all post mothers are too overweight. I made a statement about my DW nagging me, NOT that all wives nag. And lastly I made a statement about a rich obese guy and females who'll go for the money. NOT that all women are gold diggers.

It may be time for me to back out of this thread now because discussion ISN'T about how pass on more information on having safer and better pregnancies (which was the intent), but a bash fest by some who just want to vent anger.

Sincerely wish everyone luck on their journeys to whatever weight loss goal or fitness goal you're striving for.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I disagree that an extra fast recovery from delivery means nothing. I mean yes, recovery times can vary and there are plenty of other factors, but if you maintain a healthier lifestyle you are more likely to have a better recovery. Of course there are exceptions and special cases. All we can do is our best.

I agree that OP knew nothing about the women in that room but it didn't sound like he was judging them individually as much as he wanted to express concern about the growing trend of overweight moms to be in our country. Pregnancy weight gain has certainly risen over the years and it's not as good for the moms or the babies. Maybe he did mean it in a judgy way and I interpreted it wrong. But that's not how it came across to me. As I said I agree that it's no one's business on an individual level but it is a societal trend to be concerned about. And people have been saying things like "everyone knows you're not supposed to have a free for all with your diet while pregnant" but some people really don't know. I've met plenty.

So why, if this all was intended to bring awareness on a societal level, are we just talking about pregnant women? It's not your question to answer because you did not create the thread but think about it. I guess one would look really callous if they picked on children but more than anything, that's where America's obesity problem starts. In the home, as kids. OP might as well have started there.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

So why, if this all was intended to bring awareness on a societal level, are we just talking about pregnant women? It's not your question to answer because you did not create the thread but think about it. I guess one would look really callous if they picked on children but more than anything, that's where America's obesity problem starts. In the home, as kids. OP might as well have started there.

I agree with you both that the problem starts as children and that one would never want to approach the problem by "picking on" anyone especially children.

In my opinion the way the child is nourished even before they are born could possibly have some effect on their well being when they are born. But more than that, children learn from the example of their parents. And in the majority of cases, the primary caregiver is the mother. So yes, it's important for mom to take care of herself. I have no idea in what spirit OP meant the original topic since as you said, I did not create it, but I wish the topic of weight gain and nutrition while pregnant could be discussed without people getting defensive or angry because I do believe it is an important one. Most of us know that it's so much easier to maintain weight than to lose it once it is gained, and since pregnancy is one of the most common times to gain excess weight, it makes sense to try to determine how our society can help expectant moms take better care of themselves.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the entire thread. OP, you should just accept that there are somethings which you, as a male, should never EVER comment on, especially not online. The weight gain of the pregnant female is one of those things. Good heavens, I'm glad I'm not your wife!

Just for your information, I was (and am) solidly in the morbidly obese category. That'd be why I'm here. I was 222 pounds exactly the day I found out I was pregnant, and I was only about a month gone, so it's a fairly accurate pre-preg weight. I lost TWENTY POUNDS in the first trimester because I was so horribly sick. I lived on ensure, sprite, and mcdonalds french fries because barring the occasional random craving, that was literally ALL that would stay down. I lost so much so fast that my doctor actually asked me if I was trying to kill my baby, and it took the whole damn pregnancy to get it back. I walked into triage exactly four pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. Because I had such a terrible time, my 21" long son weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces and was all skin and bones. He frightened me, he was so skinny, and he was a week and a half past due. He was four months old before he started to fill out.

Due to difficulties with the milk supply, I was on Domperidone for a few weeks to boost my supply. Nobody warned me about the weight gain. Everything I had lost at that point, I gained, and then some. I got up to 240. I'm down to 225 as of today. And I shudder to think what snarky thing would cross your mind if you saw me at the doctor's office, OP.

Just face it, there is no way you can say what you've said here and not sound judgmental... because like it or not you ARE judging us. Don't be shocked when we won't sit down and take it like good little girls.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't know how they do it. My pregnancies crowded my stomach so much that I could barely eat during the last two months and started losing weight. I gained maybe 28 pounds each pregnancy.

I wish my stomach had stayed crowded!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the entire thread. OP, you should just accept that there are somethings which you, as a male, should never EVER comment on, especially not online. The weight gain of the pregnant female is one of those things. Good heavens, I'm glad I'm not your wife!

Just for your information, I was (and am) solidly in the morbidly obese category. That'd be why I'm here. I was 222 pounds exactly the day I found out I was pregnant, and I was only about a month gone, so it's a fairly accurate pre-preg weight. I lost TWENTY POUNDS in the first trimester because I was so horribly sick. I lived on ensure, sprite, and mcdonalds french fries because barring the occasional random craving, that was literally ALL that would stay down. I lost so much so fast that my doctor actually asked me if I was trying to kill my baby, and it took the whole damn pregnancy to get it back. I walked into triage exactly four pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. Because I had such a terrible time, my 21" long son weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces and was all skin and bones. He frightened me, he was so skinny, and he was a week and a half past due. He was four months old before he started to fill out.

Due to difficulties with the milk supply, I was on Domperidone for a few weeks to boost my supply. Nobody warned me about the weight gain. Everything I had lost at that point, I gained, and then some. I got up to 240. I'm down to 225 as of today. And I shudder to think what snarky thing would cross your mind if you saw me at the doctor's office, OP.

Just face it, there is no way you can say what you've said here and not sound judgmental... because like it or not you ARE judging us. Don't be shocked when we won't sit down and take it like good little girls.

Thanks for posting that.

I think what most people seem to forget -- this post was inspired by women this man has never spoken to. He's trying to "educate" he presumed those women were uneducated and judged them as unhealthy solely by their weight. In reality, these women are probably already educated on the matter of weight and health related risks for themselves and their baby. As one of his supporters said -- society is vested in producing healthy children. That's why DOCTORS are pretty thorough in covering what constitutes an unhealthy, at risk pregnancy. Shock of all shocks, the sole factor in determining that ISN'T weight.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I agree with you both that the problem starts as children and that one would never want to approach the problem by "picking on" anyone especially children.

In my opinion the way the child is nourished even before they are born could possibly have some effect on their well being when they are born. But more than that, children learn from the example of their parents. And in the majority of cases, the primary caregiver is the mother. So yes, it's important for mom to take care of herself. I have no idea in what spirit OP meant the original topic since as you said, I did not create it, but I wish the topic of weight gain and nutrition while pregnant could be discussed without people getting defensive or angry because I do believe it is an important one. Most of us know that it's so much easier to maintain weight than to lose it once it is gained, and since pregnancy is one of the most common times to gain excess weight, it makes sense to try to determine how our society can help expectant moms take better care of themselves.

Maybe we can take a look at how society pressures women in general to fit into a thin mold? Maybe if we went ahead and stopped that nonsense ALL women, not just mothers, would do a better job at living healthy -- rather than living to be thin.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't know how they do it. My pregnancies crowded my stomach so much that I could barely eat during the last two months and started losing weight. I gained maybe 28 pounds each pregnancy.

I wish my stomach had stayed crowded!

me too! the further along i was, the smaller my food portions became. i also gave birth on vacation in italy!! emergency c-section nonetheless. and i gained a total of 20lbs during pregnancy and was back to my hiking routine (with baby strapped onto me in baby bjorn carrier) less than two weeks after my c-section. not all pregnancies are the same but i believe that gaining a minimal amount of weight and working out throughout my pregnancy made a huge difference in my post-partum weight loss (lost it all within a week) and recovery.