What are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've been making my way through Jane Austen's books, b/c I loved Pride & Prejudice in high school (which I graduated in 2004 and am just now getting to this because I also couldn't read much during college!)

Anywho, I've reread Pride & Prejudice, read Sense & Sensibility, and am now reading Persuasion.

BTW, my fave vampire book series thus far is the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton :)

My wife just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well as Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters ...

I have Pride & Prejudice and Zombies, I can't wait to read it!!
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "The Time Traveler's Wife"- I want to read the book before I see the movie.
    "Eat, Pray, Love"- Self searching time.
    "Percy Jackson-The Last Olympian"- The last book of a GREAT series, really enjoyed this :)
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    I've been making my way through Jane Austen's books, b/c I loved Pride & Prejudice in high school (which I graduated in 2004 and am just now getting to this because I also couldn't read much during college!)

Anywho, I've reread Pride & Prejudice, read Sense & Sensibility, and am now reading Persuasion.

BTW, my fave vampire book series thus far is the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton :)

My wife just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well as Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters ...

PP&Z KICKED *kitten*!!! That was one of the funniest books I have read in a long time!!

I am currently reading:

Making Money - by Neil Gaimen
    Dreaming the Eagle - by Manda Scott
    The Deathly Hallows (again) - JKRowling (as if people didnt know)

I usually have at least three books on the go... I am a compulsive reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I am going to have to borrow it from a friend
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing up The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks and then I'm going to see the movie as soon as it comes out. My next book will probably be one of the new ones by James Patterson (my all-time favorite author)
    Did he write World According to Garp?? I don't have time to look him up at the moment, but if that is him, LOVE THAT BOOK. I just got another book by him to read as well, can't remember the name.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the Sword of Truth series. I'm in the first book, Wizard's First Rule, and I'm loving it! I wish I could be reading it right now but I'm still at work. ;)

LOVE that series. There is one book that was kindof like WTF but it all works out in the end. I was super sad when the last book ended the series :(
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Did he write World According to Garp?? I don't have time to look him up at the moment, but if that is him, LOVE THAT BOOK. I just got another book by him to read as well, can't remember the name.

Garp was written by John Irving. I highly recommend anything by him. He's one of my favorite authors.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    currently working on the Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan)

Faves I can read over and over:
    Lord of the Rings stuff
    Harry Potter stuff
    Twilight stuff
    any Stephen King (will be starting Under the Dome next)
    any Dean Koontz (especially Odd Thomas stuff)
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options

PP&Z KICKED *kitten*!!! That was one of the funniest books I have read in a long time!!

I am currently reading:

Making Money - by Neil Gaimen
    Dreaming the Eagle - by Manda Scott
    The Deathly Hallows (again) - JKRowling (as if people didnt know)

I usually have at least three books on the go... I am a compulsive reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I am going to have to borrow it from a friend

took me a bit to get into - probably because I had two other books on the go at the time! - but once I did I couldnt put it down!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Just finished Nora Roberts "Born in Fire". I love any gothic, victorian, suspence, mystery, or historical based novels. I'm in college and during school I can't read anything but homework, YUCK!

I'm a closet Nora Roberts freak! I read a lot, usually before bed. I read a lot of historical fiction, The Heretic's Daughter was good, the Other Boleyn Girl and I also just finished a good one called Prayers for Sale. I'm not overly religious, but it was a good book
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options

When you finish all of these you should watch the Jane Austen book club, its a way cute movie. And made me want to read more of her books.

Im reading Breaking Dawn Again.LOL. Big twihard fan, but what can I say. But there really isnt much I wont at least try to im getting all kinds of ideas :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Just had to reply to this post, since I love reading!! I usually have a few books on the go, which at the moment is Twilight - Stephanie Meyer, Guilty Pleasures - Laurell K Hamilton & Alice in Wonderland :D
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Currently reading...Calvin and Hobbes :laugh: :tongue: it's my 6yr olds "most favorite book of the universe" according to him Calvin is "THE" man!
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Or, at least pretending to, it's been weighing my back down for weeks. I bring it to work with me to read at lunch, but go for my 45 minute walk instead.

i was disappointed in this one. : (

i'm going to start Hunger by Sharman Russel... then attempt The Stand by Stephen King.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading
    True Blue by David Baldacci,
    Capture by Robert Tannenbaum and
    Search for Significance by Robert McGee.

I just finished Pursuit of Honor by Vince Flynn

I love the Nora Roberts JD Robb In Death Series and Dean Koontz- Odd Thomas series. I started reading the new one by Dean Kootnz called Breathless but it didn't peak my interest so I didn't finish.
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm also a compulsive reader and am looking forward to finishing school in May so I can actually get back to reading what I want! Right now, in my sparse free time around school assignments I'm working on "Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior" by Geoffrey Miller. It's a really interesting look at what drives our consumption choices and brand loyalties.

sarahhnash - How is "What to Eat"? Marion Nestle's "Food Politics" is in my to-be-read pile for when school is over. If you like books about food politics, another good book along those lines is "The End of Food" by Paul Roberts.

I'm always looking for good sociological / political non-fiction if anyone has any other suggestions!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading "Shiver" ... I've heard wonderful things about on www.goodreads.com ... Nursing School is killing me with NCLEX review so...I'm on hold for reading at the moment! haha

So is it as good as my daughter tells me???? LOL (I suppose I could finally open it up and find out!) :blushing:
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George because I rented the series the Tudors from Netflix and wanted to get different perspectives. The Showtime series took lots of liberties as far as the historical accuracy, but was very entertaining and the actors were not bad to look at. Margaret George's book was also very good but long.

Just started "The Burning Land" by Bernard Cornwell. It's the forth book in his Saxon series. I LOVE historical fiction!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you liked the Stieg Larsson books, you might like the one I am reading -- The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell. It's another crime novel set in Sweden with a very complicated plot and an appealing main character (a female judge) who gets drawn into the mystery almost against her will. Mankell wrote the Wallander series that was dramatized on public television not long ago with Kenneth Branagh in the title role.

Other excellent books I have read recently:
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    The Privileges: A Novel by Jonathan Dee

Three autobiographies:
    Open by Andre Agassi
    Lit by Mary Karr
    Born Round by Frank Bruni
    This one I would especially recommend to all who are struggling with weight issues. Frank Bruni is the former restaurant critic for the New York Times. He's a great writer and describes very honestly his nearly lifelong battle with food. It's often funny, sometimes heartbreaking.
  • smilogirl
    smilogirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just finished My life in France by Julia Child .. I just started The French Chef Cookbook by Julia and bought a copy of Mastering the art of French Cooking by Julia
    I am reading Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich
    Edith Ann, My life so far by Jane Wagner
    Presidential Courage by Michael Beschloss (this is a slow read for me.. whenever)
    Cleopatra the life and death of a pharoh by Edith Flamarion
    I'm listening to Blind Alley by Iris Johansen on my Ipod
    I just finished listening to the Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen and going to listen to The Dirty Secrets Club by Meg Gardiner on my Sony Walkman
    and of course .. I'm reading blogs and the message board here and blogs on blogspot
    I would read all the time.. and sometimes do.
    My husband laughed at me last night.. I was listening to a book.. watching tv.. reading the message boards and blogs on my computer.. and playing with my ipod
    Multi-task much?:heart: I love to read! or just injest information!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Son of Hamas - by Mosab Hassan Yousef
    Killing Pablo - by Mark Bowden
    The Pacific - by Hugh Ambrose